“Fab stay and Sunday roast”
Review of Newmachar Hotel

and 1 more site!
Newmachar Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Newmachar B&B and Inns
Glasgow
“Fab stay and Sunday roast”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Stayed on a Sunday night with girlfriend,rooms where very modern with all the gadgets-Plasma Tv,IPod docking station etc.
We managed to catch the Sunday roast and it was first class, restaurant modern and has a cosy feel. Going to be working in Aberdeen area and will definitely be staying here instead of the chain hotels.Overall there is a friendly, family feel about the place with helpful owners.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Lanarkshire
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for three nights. It was the worst experience in a long time. The good points: The rooms have been overhauled and are of modern decor with comfortable beds, large LG flat screen TVs and and good showers/toilet facilities.
The rooms are up above the pub and restaurant and you enter this level through a very narrow stair case. Once up stairs there is a landing kitchen that makes coffee/T and has various muffins/biscuits etc. which is a nice touch. This corridor has a swing door on entry and boy! Does it bang!!! So badly in fact that it shakes the whole building! You want an early night and *BANG* You want a late morning start and *BANG* by others leaving. Then there's the race track outside, Its a 30mph but you can hear V8's, V6's big bore exhausted cars and so on run up and down the street until 11pm ish. and that's with double glazing!!! The worst of the stay is the music from the pub underneath.. it gets cranked up until closing and vibrates the comfortable bed - EVEN WITH EAR PLUGS! (Mandatory when travelling for the animals that stay in the same building!) Breakfasts and food are both piping hot. But be ware of absent minded service - forgot the Toast one morning (To busy texting) Forgot the sauce on another occasion! Then forgot the breakfast itself! Don't specify a time and turn up early - you'll be reminded of your specified time. Turn up late (2mins deliberately) and your told that your late and you ordered breakfast at **. Parking is on the main street and is very limited and the noisey locals like leaning on your car whilst having a fag or looking in them so don't leave anything of value as you may find it being removed. This establishment has been owned by the same person for the last 20 years.. and it shows... Gents, having a wet shave, is a no no! Extremely low hot water pressure that you could urinate harder...not good!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank HiltzTheCoolerKing
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Decided to stop at this hotel for dinner arrived 5.45pm no one else seated but most tables were reserved. Seated quickly waitress took drink order then food order I had Cullen skink soup this was the strangest soup I have ever been served it was more like a sauce with pieces of fish and potato through it and very salty I don't recommend it infact I felt quite queasy after eating it. It took 20 minutes for our main course to arrive the restaurant had filled up by this time but the staff seemed very disorganised, the food was ok nothing special slightly cooler than I would have liked it I feel it might have been sitting around for a while the hand cut chips were noting special infact I never ate mine just tasted 2 left the rest. My hubby had a sweet it was ok we asked for the bill but this took ages to arrive infact I saw the waitresses debating about a few of the bills I think they may have got some mixed up I checked mine it was correct no one came for me to pay so I went to the bar paid and duly left sorry but we won't be visiting again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank scootaboot67
Aberdeenshire
Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

We went to the Newmachar Hotel for lunch and after a worrying start, it certainly did improve.

After booking a table via phone (also asking about gluten free options which I was assured they did) there was no record of our booking which was a worry. Luckily they were able to fit us in but if we had arrived half an hour later I don't think we would have had a table available.

It was very busy but despite this, service was quick, staff were attentive, food was faultless and extremely well presented.

We had scampi, haddock and chicken dishes and they were all lovely. Couldn't fault a thing. We thought it was good value for money and although dessert menu looked tempting, we were stuffed!

Will definitely visit again.

• Stayed April 2013
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Living close by for a family members birthday it was decided this venue was our place to eat. Having eaten here before and I had also provided the restaurant with fresh fish in the past my expectations on the menu which had changed since my last visit had me with good expectations.

The service of the staff was brilliant. Did not leave us waiting to long but did not pester us every five minutes so a good balance was there. The meals did not take to long which was one thing I always look for when dining anyway. In a restaurant like this I do not expect to wait for a dish more than 15 minutes after ordering and it arived within that time which was a plus.

The layout of the restaurant was nice looking very modern and also quite stylish. It had a nice warm, cosy feel which was very relaxing. For my starter I had a Five Spice Duck Spring Roll which was a perfectly cooked and perfected dish which delived perfectly. Beautifully cooked and seasoned and presented very professionaly.

My entree was however very dissapointing. Tomato and Basil Tagliatelle which is a very simple dish was poorly made. The portion size of the sauce was huge. For the amount of pasta there was there was way to much sauce. The pasta was pretty much bathed in the sauce. Some of the onions in the sauce were burnt making it taste very bitter. And the basil was very strange. Instead of having sweet peppery basil it was Thai basil with a strong anise taste which was identified strait away on my palat. If on the menu it had stated the basil was a thai basil then I may have accepted it or ordered a different dish. The presentation was quite poor and not even at all rustic looking but more of a mess. On top of that the actual sauce was quite boring and the over all dish which should have been the hero of the mean spoiled the night for me. The best thing about the dish (the only good thing about the dish) was the pasta was cooked al dente which is just how i like it.

For dessert I was given something that resembled heaven to my eyes and my palat. A popping candy chocolate tart which was to die for. Nice, warm, rich chocolate tart presented beautifully was something I could see being in a top restaurant. If anything I could say to improve a little more popping candy as it didn't have that oomph i was expecting. However still very nice and I would love to have the recipe as well as order it again.

Apart from the dissapointing entree the night was good. Good atmosphere a step away from great food in my case and brilliant service. I would say it is one of the finer places I have been to and I hope that this entree can be improved.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Alicante, Spain
Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

I stayed in the hotel for two days while on a course. Rooms are very clean and impressive for a 3 star. Staff are excellent. Thanks Alex. Only a couple of minor problems. Hot water pressure in rooms is inadequate. Had to run tap for 10 minutes to get some hot water. Missed having a cooked breakfast, but with such a small hotel, I can understand why they do not have someone cooking for possibly one or two. But there is a small breakfast area and I found it acceptable for a three star hotel. It was a pleasant place to stay.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 9, 2012

As above but the room was above the bar with music booming out beyond close time with the floor being made from what appears to be paper (well at least the sound proofing properties of paper) locals drinking in the bar making it a hard decision to go ask for it to be turned down! And the self service breakfast area was a joke....... Make your own! Hotel you say? I would disagree!

Room Tip: Not room 3 or 4 as over the bar