“Disappointed”

and up
Battle of Bannockburn Visitor Centre Entrance Ticket
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Fyvie
More attraction details
Owner description: The charm of Fyvie ranges from its 13th-century origins to its stunning Edwardian interiors. The castle is home to a superb collection of arms, armour and paintings, including works by Raeburn and Gainsborough. Stroll around the picturesque loch, or visit the restored 1903 racquet court and bowling alley. Ghosts, legends and folklore are all woven into the tapestry of Fyvie Castle's 800-year history. Tradition claims that the castle's five successive families - Preston, Meldrum, Seton, Gordon and Forbes-Leith - each added a tower to this magnificent Scottish Baronial fortress. You can see their influences today among the medieval stones and the lavish Edwardian interiors, and imagine what castle life must have been like for the families and their royal guests - among them Robert the Bruce, Edward I and Charles I.
Kent
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Disappointed”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Yet another castle/stately home full of family memorabilia that the NTS support. Didn't find anything interesting or unusual that I haven't seen in other stately homes. The odd connection to royalty here and there, but nothing special. Despite it's size (massive), you only get to visit 20% or so of the rooms. I want to see all of these places, the storerooms, servants quarters, the attic rooms, not just the guest bedrooms and the ballroom, full of paintings completely unconnected to the residents.
There was a wedding on which closed off the 2 main show rooms to visitors. Fyvie isn't cheap to visit, and as a member of NTS, didn't pay for the visit on the day, but would have been cheesed off, if charged the full amount. By all means, NTS should generate income, but don't inconvenience your paying visitors. This visit put me off visiting the several other similar attractions nearby.

Visited August 2012

• Polish first
Houston, Texas
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“A true Castle complete with art, weapons and armor collections.”
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We arrived amidst rain (of course, it's Scotland!) and toured this massive castle, all 3 floors of it and more. It boasts large collections of paintings, arms and armor. They have a room that was used to entertain guests that is now also now used for weddings amidst the wall hanging tapestries and the organ that spans 3 floors; the ceiling has a balcony that holds the organs pipes while the original organ is on the middle floor and it's pump is on the floor below. It also has a giant set of round foyer stairs that the reigning lord at the time rode his horse up to the banquet room on a dare! This castle is also sa id to be haunted and cursed, but we did not have any problems (hahaha). Well worth the drive. 50 minutes from Aberdeen.

Visited July 2012
Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Great castle great tearoom”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Don't know if anyone has mentioned that parking is free if you're a National Trust member and you have your sticker so that's another reason to join.

Visited June 2012
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Had my wedding here!”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I just popped open an email from TripAdvisor advertising "15 hidden gems most travelers don't know about" and there was Fyvie Castle, the venue of my wedding in 1999, listed as Hidden Gem #10. I don't know if the castle still allows weddings, but I hope they do and I hope that more people take advantage of that. It was such a magical location. We hired a bagpiper who preceded us up the circular stone staircase into the beautiful room where we were wed - the sound of those bagpipes echoing throughout that huge, beautiful castle was enough to give everyone goosebumps. I remember that the staff were wonderfully accomodating and made every effort to make our day go off without a hitch. The perfectly manicured grounds, on a beautifully sunny July day, made for an excellent backdrop to our photos afterward as well. I highly recommend this site! (Note: I had to choose Aug 2011 as the date I visited, as it was the earliest choice in the dropdown box, but I have actually not returned since 1999.)

Visited August 2011
1 Thank BiologistInTheWild
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Always interesting”
Reviewed June 25, 2012

My husband and I have visited Fyvie castle for many years and always take visitors there to enjoy the extensive grounds, magnificent castle, fascinating gardens and the 'fine pieces' in the tearoom. Recent reviews have stated the difficulties of the tearoom, which in my opinion are adequately sized and staffed for 98% of its opening times. The extra-long Jubilee weekend was challenging for the hard-working staff. Remember, your sandwiches etc are made to order, not kept in a chiller, so do take longer to prepare but are worth the wait. As for the couple who felt they were ignored, why didn't you ring the service bell as you arrived or TALK to the staff before or after you sat down? Politeness works both ways! I've also enjoyed taking Primary school children to Fyvie Castle both for the History and the Wildlife. Always intersting!

Visited June 2012