“Major Disappointment”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Expected a great dining experience based on the TA reviews. Disappontment would be an understatement. My wife and I base ourselves in Spello for vacations in Umbria so we are getting to know this wonderful town better than most. Luckily we have only experienced one awful restaurant and this is it. Unattentive service and mediocre fare. We left, cutting our losses, never having received one of our entrees (without an apology) and moved on to a great little pizzeria down the street. This is one one of those restaurants for people who don't really appreciate truly good food. Spello has a weath of fine restaurants. Don't bother with this one.

2  Thank blackmojo

Reviewed September 5, 2012

wonderful food, friendly service - not to be missed if you are in the area. The pigeon liver pate is to die for.

Reviewed July 2, 2012

Everything on this menu is wonderful. Traditional Umbrian food. Even locals support this restaurant. It's where they go for Special nights out.

Reviewed May 10, 2012

If you have the means to get to Spello near Assisi make the effort if only to eat at this restaurant.
Fabio opens his kitchen at 7pm, you'll find this restaurant on the corner just before climbing into the old town proper.
The menu is varied and Fabio uses his broken English to good effect, making his recommendations of the day's specials. I started with a Tortino to die for followed by a mixed grill which literally covered the plate in delicious barbecued selection of meats....warm toast is brought as a cover and, if you like some butter with your bread that's no problem either...just ask.

AS always the giveaway with restaurants is who eats there and on the two occasions I visited (yes I went back for more!) the place was soon filled with a mixture of older couples, young family groups all local and all looked after by Fabio who passed from table to table checking all was well.

I passed on the great looking selection of deserts as I was literally stuffed with the two courses I'd had.

So two courses plus cover plus a large bottle of mineral water came in at under 25 euros which, compared to some of the prices charged for much less in other restaurants makes this look like a real bargain. I promised Fabio I would review here, even though it risks being overrun by tourists seeking it out instead of being a place known to a favoured few. But Fabio and family deserve success...go, eat, enjoy! You won't be disappointed and tell Fabio Scott sent you.

Reviewed February 15, 2012

Words cannot describe how accommodating Ristorante Locanda Del Postiglione was for our wedding party in Spello. Fabio and his staff made us feel like we were part of their families! Not only was their food more than what you would expect from Italian dining but they were more than accommodating at granting our requests.

The restaurant itself is modern and charming, located just beyond the walls of the city - at the bottom of the hill.

We went back several times during our stay in Spello. The gnocchi with red wine sauce, the freshness of the food, wonderful Montefalco wine... a gem in Umbria not to be missed!