“you get what you pay for!”

Ibis London Elstree Borehamwood
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Borehamwood
GreenLeadersBronze level

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Bordeaux
Reviewed November 10, 2010

I have past one week in this Hotel.The staff was friendley, they smiling all the time.The room was new, and clean. The hotel is about 10/15 minutes from the station (wolking), where there is always one train to London....Really Good week

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
IbisLondonElstree, General Manager at Ibis London Elstree Borehamwood, responded to this review, November 12, 2010
Thank you for your kind comments and compliments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Ibis London Elstree Borehamwood and look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Kind regards, Raman Julka
South Yorks
Reviewed October 22, 2010

My room was cold when I arrived mid afternoon so I put the heating on. After 20 minutes I realised that the heating was not working. I came downstairs and spoke to the reception staff regarding the problem. They told me that the heating wasn’t working in some rooms. I asked what they were doing to fix it and they shrugged their shoulders. I asked about the quality promise that was advertised in the room – “if you encounter a problem in your room, we promise to make things right as quickly as possible no matter what time it is. Your problem's resolved in 15 minutes, or your room's on us!” They didn’t seem to want to know.

My room (201) was on an outside corner of the hotel so had two outside walls, with a third bounded by the unheated stairwell. When I returned at about 11.30pm the room temperature was 14o C (according to the temperature display on my alarm clock), which dropped further to 13o C by 1am, when I finally managed to get to sleep despite the cold. I then woke feeling cold at 4.55am with a room temperature still at 13o C and was so chilled that I was unable to get back to sleep despite putting all my clothes and coat, scarf and gloves on and getting under the quilt. An ideal sleeping temperature is about 18o C – this room fell way short of that and was too cold for a comfortable sleep. It was actually warmer in the corridor than in the bedroom.

The hotel was also poorly equipped to deal with the numbers of guests booked into it at breakfast. The queue for buffet food stretched across the reception area and never seemed to fall below 20-30 people in number. There were insufficient plates and cutlery. The serving containers for the hot breakfast only held about six servings before needing replenishing. Replenishment took about 10 minutes each time. I was unable to obtain a knife and fork so was only able to have beans and scrambled egg rather than a full hot breakfast which I was sorely in need of after such a poor night in a cold room. There were no cups available for the drinks dispenser so I ended up returning to the bedroom and bringing down the mug that was supplied in the room in order to have a hot drink.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank EarlyBirdSY
IbisLondonElstree, General Manager at Ibis London Elstree Borehamwood, responded to this review, October 25, 2010
I’m so sorry that you were disappointed by your experience saying with us at Ibis London Elstree Borehamwood. I appreciate the feedback and rest assured that we take all comments very seriously. We are looking into the matter, but feel free to contact me on 02087362600 or email me on h6186-gm@accor.com to discuss this further. Kind regards, Raman Julka (General Manager).

Travelers are raving about these Borehamwood hotels

Manchester
Reviewed October 3, 2010

I regularly stay at the Borehamwood Ibis and always find it a clean and friendly place to stay.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
DevonMike, General Manager at Ibis London Elstree Borehamwood, responded to this review, October 4, 2010
Thank you for your kind comments and compliments – I am delighted that you enjoyed your
stay and look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Kind regards, Raman Julka General Manager
Midlands
Reviewed September 21, 2010

Car park quite small (space for 10 cars or so) and was full when I got there, so I parked in the public car park (not sure if pay & display was applicable after hours).

The automatic doors at the back opened quite slowly which caught me unawares, and watching other residents enter/leave I wasn't the only one that got caught out. (they seemed to be fixed a day or so later, mind)

The website mentions internet access, but didn't say it was free - wireless was only available downstairs (signal didn't reach my room on an upper floor) and once I'd managed to be connected I was greeted with a page informing me it was £7 for 2 hours.

The room itself was quite spacious and clean, quite liked the circular space-age "wet room" but it smelled slighty musty - maybe not sufficiently aired out. For what I wanted, it sufficed well.

Check-in went okay, but when I later returned for a meal the lobby was quite full but no staff were to be found - there was quite a wait at the bar. Eventually two people showed up (these were the only staff on duty, it seemed) - one was investigating a complaint that Internet access was off-line; the other - the barman - joked that he had to help out in the kitchen with his legs and serve with his arms. Ordered a meal at 8:30 and it arrived at 9:15, so was quite a wait; he walked out with two meals (one looked like mine) but attended another table with the first order only to spend some time discussing their complaints, letting the other meal go cold. I pitied whoever was receiving that... and 5 mins later I found it was me (he had to approach me and ask me what I'd ordered - they don't seem to have any way of matching the numbered spoon I was given to the order taken).

The lasagne was lukewarm, the salad garnish consisted of two tomatoes hastily chopped up with one slice of cucumber and an olive - wasn't much of a garnish. I've paid around £4 to have that as a starter, but at £8.50 they were taking the mick - as evident from comments on the next table, where the customer's gammon steak missed all the additional trimmings as advertised in the menu.

Whilst I was awaiting my meal, Sky News suddenly went offline on the lobby TV with a message to reset the box... but neither staff noticed nor seemed to care. It didn't matter too much to me, but typified lack of attention exhibited by the staff.

I ate out on the next night but stayed in for the last, where more staff on duty visibly improved the level of service. I enjoyed the meal (gammon steak) and drinks were fairly quick. However, I've stayed in pubs for half the price that offered much better customer service. After my experiences of the IBIS chain up and down the country, I'm going to advise my company to avoid using them for business bookings in future. For what they charge, they do not represent value for money.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments, we can assure you the matter is being looked in to and will
be dealt with accordingly. Kind regards, Raman Julka (General Manager)
Leeds
Reviewed September 16, 2010

I think IBIS is usually a reasonable quality, taking into account the price. However, they continue to fail at breakfast in Elstree Borehamwood. Business travellers need to be in and out of breakfast quickly. This time we arrived to find every single table covered with dirty crockery, crumbs and the desbris of previous users. Not very appetising!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to Ibis London Elstree Borehamwood. I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we have noted your comments about breakfast, which we have since addressed. Kind regards, Raman Julka General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Borehamwood
Premier Inn London Elstree / Borehamwood Hotel
#619 of 1,063 in London
Jurys Inn London Watford
Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree
Village Hotel London Watford

Been to Ibis London Elstree Borehamwood? Share your experiences!