“Full of lots of potential!”

Best Western Cartland Bridge Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Lanark
Fort William, United Kingdom
“Full of lots of potential!”
Reviewed October 28, 2010

We arrived around 1pm to check in before heading off to a nearby wedding. The driveway up to the hotel and the exterior are quite impressive, we found the staff at reception very helpful however we found our experience went downhill from there. Our room was tiny with a very outdated bathroom suite and although the linen on the bed was spotless the rest of the room was in desperate need of a good dust. The following morning at breakfast we went down to find lots of tables that hadn't been cleared away from previous breakfast customers. This hotel as lots of potential, unfortunately we found these things really let it down.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MrsM33

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
West Kilbride, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2010

I see that this hotel has had some bad reviews, but I have stayed here twice now within the last year, whilst on business and everything has been fine. I got the same room both times so I can't comment on any others, but it was spacious, quiet and had a very comfortable bed. I haven't had dinner at the hotel, but on this occasion, having been out until 10pm at a business event, the barmaid went down to the kitchen and made myself and my colleague lovely sandwiches as we had a drink in the bar. All staff that I met were very attentive and friendly.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Nottingham
Reviewed June 14, 2010

We stayed at the hotel for a family wedding and as a wedding venue it can't really be faulted. Impressive grounds, lovely building and plenty of space: we were very fortunate with the weather and able to make full use of the grounds. Staff are very friendly and helpful, breakfast was good and I was able to take a cooked breakfast on a tray upstairs for my partner who remained in bed!

Drink prices were high, £3.10 for a pint of Tennants is above market in my opinion and the wedding rate for the room, £98, is 30+% more than I paid at the Hilton for the previous night's stay.

The room was small but comfortable, however, the bathroom did have a very strong background odour.

For a special occasion it is worth the minor niggles but it may be worthwhile looking further afield if accommodation is your main priority.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Cartland Bridge Hotel
Lanark

Dear sir/madam

Disappointing lunch 11th october

On sunday i visited your hotel along with my wife and friends for lunch about 3.30pm.the car park was virtually empty which should have alerted us to the standard of meal we would receive. we proceeded to the bar area past an array of dishes with meals half-finished which had not been cleared.

For starters, we ordered a soup and haggis n neeps which were ok.i had the salmon and prawn cocktail which looked fine but had little sauce.when i asked for bread the young girl went away and came back to tell me that you don’t get bread with this dish (miserable). my friend’s wife had pate, which was presented, in a small white dish with a thick layer of yellow fat on top. it was pretty disgusting looking, but she ate a small portion rather than send it back.

For main courses, my friend asked for the lamb curry, only to be told a few minutes later that there was none left. he and i then had the braised steak and although there were some chewy bits, in general it was ok.my wife had the haggis and neeps, which was simply 2 starters, lumped on a bigger plate. later she said it was quite greasy but again didn’t like to complain. lastly, my friend’s wife had lasagne that looked like the ones i had seen earlier on the half-empty plates when we came in. it looked burnt, was dry and seemed as if it had been reheated a few times. she couldn’t eat it and we sent it back. by this time she was not interested in a replacement, as she had lost her appetite.
we understandably, decided against having a sweet and all had coffees. aagh! it tasted like hot milk with a sprinkling of chocolate. just to rub it in, when we received the bill the cost of the lasagne had not been deducted, although this was later rectified. as we left, i noticed the old lasagne still lying at the side of the bar. so much for a nice relaxing sunday lunch! to rub salt in it, my friend phoned today to say that his wife had been up during the night with sickness & diarrhoea.

We eat out a lot, but this is the first time i have ever written to complain about a meal. the cartland bridge is not the place for which i have fond memories, and hopefully you will take on board the points i have made. it would be easy to say simply ‘we won’t be back’, but some feedback may actually be of benefit to you.

I look forward to hearing your comments in due course

jim baillie

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
5 Thank JIMBAILLIE22
Berkshire
Reviewed October 2, 2009

Decent chain run country house hotel, in an old Scots Baronial style building. Room was well appointed and comfortable, but the bathroom was a little tired and dated. I had great service, particularly from Elspeth on reception. Breakfast was good, although there was limited choice.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Glasgow, Scotland
Reviewed August 9, 2009

My friend got married here yesterday and it is a lovely location for a wedding. The hotel and grounds are picturesque and the staff are very friendly and professional. We stayed in room 211 which had 3 lovely windows overlooking woodland. We spent very little time in our room as got to bed at 2am and breakfast was 8am-10 am so we basically just slept there and paid £98 for the privilege! Probably not value for money. Rooms are traditional (some would say old-fashioned but I found it quite charming) and bathroom was spacious and clean although would benefit from an upgrade (suite is an avocado colour).
Rooms have phone, alarm clock, TV, iron+ironing board, tea-making facilities and hairdrier.
The hotel was very hot and stuffy which made the wedding reception rather uncomfortable and the rooms were hot too despite the 3 windows being open.
Breakfast was a bit disappointing. You could help yourself to tea, coffee, juice and cereal. Waitresses brought toast and took orders for cooked breakfast. No menu was provided and choice was limited to 'grilled breakfast' which consisted of 1 rasher of bacon, 1 (tiny) sausage, scrambled egg, tomato, mushrooms, and quarter of a potato scone. Half of the wedding party were Spanish and they would've no doubt appreciated a menu as most of them had no idea what they were ordering/could order/ were eating!
The hotel seemed to be short-staffed at breakfast time and plates of cooked breakfast would lie at the side getting cold until a waitress was available to bring them to the table.
The hotel does provide free Wi-Fi which is a definite plus.
Overall, I thought the hotel made a fantastic wedding venue but as a hotel offering B+B the service could've been better.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank DonnaDarling
Glasgow
Reviewed July 24, 2009

Where to begin!!

From day 1 of booking my wedding reception at the Cartland Bridge I could not have been more sure that I had made the right decision. The staff were very friendly and extremely helpful. The run up to the big dau went very smoothly. The hotel assisted us on every little detail and nothing for them was a hassle!! (i was bridezilla) On the day we could not have faulted anything about the hotel. Everything ran so smoothly. Paul the Manager did a fabulous job of making sure everything went as planned. The meal and buffet were exactly as we had wanted. A lot of my family and friends stayed over at the hotel (we took over 19 out of the 21 rooms) and everyone had a lovely stay and really enjoyed the breakfast.

All of our guests have expressed how much then enjoyed the day and how fab the venue was. We will be back for our 1 Year anniversary next year!!

Thanks to all the staff!!

Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Linz55
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lanark
New Lanark Mill Hotel
#1 of 1 in Carnwath
Cornhill Castle Hotel
Cornhill Castle Hotel
#1 of 1 in Coulter

Been to Best Western Cartland Bridge Hotel? Share your experiences!