“splendid location. we shall return.”

New Lanark Mill Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lanark
Isle of Arran, United Kingdom
“splendid location. we shall return.”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

LANARK NEW MILL HOTEL
i chose this hotel because my partner was on business in the area and had always wanted to see New Lanark for its buildings and waterwheel. We originally booked for one night but stayed for two. This was still not enough time to take in all the attractions.
We share a love of fine stone buildings, mills, rivers and waterfalls and found New Lanark delightful. We spent a day walking round some of the buildings and attractions and we still have our pass to see the rest on our next visit. On Sunday morning we had a beautiful walk along the banks of the Clyde as far as Corra Lynn falls.
The reason I have only given it 4 stars is because of the food. It wasn’t uniformly bad, and I wouldn’t normally dwell on the negatives but I had to get this out of my system and perhaps the hotel will review its menus before we return. Please!
I had the Pickled Beetroot & Goats Cheese Crostini Toasted Pine Nut Dressing. Possibly the worst starter ever( I may have had worse, but thankfully any memory of it is well gone)
Served on a long plate there were three white blobs with three thin, white ovals on top and nearby, a caramel coloured syrup with pine nuts in it.
I started with one of the ovals; I’m guessing that these came out a box labelled ‘crostini’. As I bit into it it crumbled into powder.(the last time I tasted anything like this was twenty years ago, at a motorway stop: a dinner roll which I guessed was for display purposes only but was assured by the assistant was meant to be like that.)
I love crostini, crostini, as in thinly sliced stale French bread rubbed over on both sides with a raw garlic clove, and brushed with EV olive oil with finely chopped fresh herbs,(thyme rosemary parsley) seasoned with lots of freshly ground black pepper and a grind of sea salt then toasted in a 200oC oven for about 4 minutes, turning once.). I was so disappointed.
Next the three generous portions of white stuff: now they had flavour; they tasted exactly like ‘Philadelphia’ cream cheese. They had the texture of ‘Philadelphia’ cream cheese too. I suppose it takes a certain skill to extract all possible taint of goat from the cheese; then again, maybe it was just ‘Philly’?
Cutting into the mound of white stuff, at about 1mm above the plate my knife hit some resistance. I scraped off some of the philly and found a striped circle which I recognised as a slice of one of those fancy beetroots; this explained why there was no distinctive beetroot colour on the plate and maybe these beetroots had been specially bred to have no beetroot flavour or maybe this was again down to special flavour extraction skills of the chef.
When I read pickled beetroot I had expected to see beetroot, taste beetroot and taste aromatic vinegars and pickling spices. The only flavour I detected was a hint of dill (that would be the pickle then) halfway through my second mound.
Beetroot, goats’ cheese, pine nuts: I was curious to see how a chef would balance and link these ingredients and my imagination added a beautiful salad leaf garnish maybe radiccio? pea shoots? rocket? with the toasted pine nuts sprinkled over and a dressing with a little horseradish and mustard.
This dish disappointed every expectation: I cannot find anything good to say about this dish at all.- no- at least it didn’t have chorizo in it.
The only dish that we really enjoyed over the two nights was the beef cheeks where there was a balance between the main ingredient and its accompaniments.
However the location is a winner and surely the food will improve. The wine was good and reasonably priced for a hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed eventually in room 20, a spacious double, booked for one night, stayed for two. This is th...
Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mo C
hotelsmanager, General Manager at New Lanark Mill Hotel, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay at New Lanark. To be awarded 4 stars is a very credible result and I appreciate your feedback. I am also very pleased to read that you would return again in the future and that overall you had a very enjoyable stay.

I am of course disappointed to read that you did not enjoy our slection of dishes on the menu and in particular the beetroot dish. This has actually proven to be a very popular dish with many guests and we have served many combinations of this dish over the past few years. I am very sorry however that you did not enjoy it but I am surprised to hear your comments. However, since we listen to our customers, Chef has already reviewed the dish and made some slight changes following your comments. I do wish to assure you that Philadelphia cheese is not used in the production of this dish. We use a combination of three parts goats cheese to one part ricotta cheese and we blend this together with a touch of lemon juice to produce a smooth blend. The texture is very similar to that of Philadelphia, but I can assure you that it certainly is not. Overall we have been receiving excellent feedback from our menus and you are able to read many positive reviews in relation to this on Tripadvisor. Our Head Chef is very passionate about serving quality dishes which balance well in flavour and texture, and of course using fresh local produce. I am sorry however that on this occasion you were not suitably impressed.

I am pleased that you wanted to stay for a second night and although we were fully booked for the second night when you first enquired after checking in, I did take steps to make a room available for you. I am glad this gave you extra time to see the Visitor Centre and the Falls of Clyde.

Once again thank you for your review and for sharing your experience and I look forward to welcoming you back to New Lanark in the future.

Kind regards,
John Stirrat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (523)
Edinburgh Scotland
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Just got back from a two night stay at the New Lanark Mill Hotel. What an amazing place! the hotel is comfortable, the food is amazing and the staff are warm and friendly. Coupled with an incredible visitor experience at the various museums and buildings nearby, as well as the Falls of Clyde, the place is a gem for a short break.

The complimentary spa entry was fantastic. A swim, sauna and steam room before dinner, luxury.

One gripe though was the lack of wifi in the rooms, although available in the foyer and bar, in this day and age, wifi is important to many people.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay at New Lanark Mill Hotel and for awarding us a 5 star rating. We very much appreciate your positive feedback and for sharing it on the internet.

In relation to the lack of wi-fi in our bedrooms, I am almost at the point of signing off an order to have this installed thorughout all hotel bedrooms. This is a considerable investment but it is essential these days, and although we do provide free wi-fi access in our public areas I am aware that it must now be available throughout all areas of the hotel. Hoepfully by your next visit this will have been installed.

Once again thank you for your feedback and on behalf of myself and my team thank you for choosing New Lanark Mill Hotel.

Kind regards,
John Stirrat
Dumfries, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Spent a weekend recently whle visiting famly in Glasgow.My first visit was spoiled by having a heavy fall in the darkness in carpark shortly after checkin! Cuts to face ,hands and knees !On closer look at carpark in am noted some wear and tear where I fell.Perhaps people less able should beware.Plasters and ice were suppied.Hotel staff were attentive and efficient.View and sound of Falls from room was stunning on a frosty morning.Room comfortable and meals in dining room relaxed and enjoyable .Spent both mornings having an early swim .Facilities good and enjoyed the child free zone before 10!.Didnt spend as much time as we wanted taking n the scenery .Hope to be back to rectify this

Room Tip: Top floor at the back!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Deirdre B
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Came home from new lanark a few hours ago after a two day stay in the waterhouse cottages with my family.we had a wonderful time away and the kids had a great time although it was too cold for long walks we spent our time in the pool which was spotless well maintained and even supplied towels,shampoo and shower gel.The pool was lovely and warm and the sauna and steam room made it even better. We were pleasantly surprised when we walked into the cottage they are warm,spotlessly clean and well maintained they had everything you would need including washing machine,dishwasher,pots & pans.The view was very relaxing looking onto the river clyde and the spacious rooms and two levels meant that the kids could have their own space to play.we also went on the annie mcleod experience which was extra as was the swimming but not too much and you get a 25% discount this included a ride in the dark which was facinating and very educational about the way people from new lanark lived and worked,also a visit to the school where the kids got to wear the uniform and learn all about robert owens school we also got to visit the millworkers house ,robert owens house ,the rooftop garden and the village store. We were looked after from the minute we got there. We even accidently set the smoke alarm off whilst cooking and reception were straight on the phone to check we were ok which was very impressive.we will go back in the summer and maybe get to walk to the falls of the clyde but will return to the waterhouse cottages thankyou for a plaesant stay

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Larkhall, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Spent a weekend at this hotel recently with friends and will definitely be back. Had visited the heritage centre before but not the hotel. The accommodation, food and service were fab and I would recommend this hotel to anyone. The walk to the fall of Clyde is a must.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Emston60
Bo'ness, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Just been back to the New Lanark Mills Hotel for the second time in the last year or two and we will definately be back. both visits DBB for 2 nights booked through easy-breaks so not too expensive. if you havent toured the world heritage site then that would give you even more reason to visit. we had been there, done that with the kids. we were there for the walks along the clyde, the pool and spa and most definately we returned because of the food. simply delicious, good menu, well presented and a cheese board that has to be seen to be believed. if i had one gripe, it was the room on the second visit was nowhere near as big or with as good a view as the room we had on our first visit, but it was still a lovely, clean room and if that had been our first visit, we wouldnt have known any better. both visits there were large wedding parties staying and partying but didnt hear a thing, might have been loud music but the walls must be well thick! and the staff are really friendly too.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank veechy
oban
Reviewed January 28, 2013

This is our 3rd stay at The waterhouses...all doggy friendly...
We stayed in no 7, which had just been renovated. Unfortunately, the furniture wa not so comfortable and the colour scheme was very bland and unwelcoming ,not as homely as the last two had been. We did not use the large bedroom, as it only had single beds....
The handle on the coffee table in the livingroom was broken and the brush for the dishes was filthy. We informed reception but nothing was done.
The water pressure was very poor,so having a shower was impossible...Later on, my husband tried to have a bath, but could not get it to fill. It was late at night, so we did not inform Hotel....We did so on checking out....
We Love staying in The Water Houses ,and love New Lanark, but felt a bit let down this time.
The bar staff were superb, and so was our meal on the Friday evening..Waterhouse was lovely and warm.....We hope to return at some point, hopefully to no 2 or 4 which were SUPERB.

Room Tip: Waterhouse 2 or 4 are Superb
Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lanark
Best Western Cartland Bridge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Carnwath
Elphinstone Hotel
Elphinstone Hotel
#3 of 3 in Biggar

Been to New Lanark Mill Hotel? Share your experiences!