“Having fun & learning at the same time”

Scottish Equestrian Hotel
Scotland
“Having fun & learning at the same time”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Today I participated in a group lesson at Lanark. On arrival my horse was brought out from his stable looking very healthy and clean. The lesson concentrated on flat work which is just what I needed. I know from past experience that if you discuss your requirements with the various instructors beforehand, they will try to focus on your needs however this has to be balanced with the needs and requirements of the rest of the group. I know I can have a private lesson to address any particular area of weakness.

The indoor school was huge and could easily accommodate multiple group lessons. I feel there is a very good mix of horses, steady or forward going. The cost to ride here is the going rate for the area.

Having a cuppa afterwards in the Bistro is a lovely way to round off my lesson or hack. It is refreshing to see a good percentage of adults riding at this establishment rather than just lots of children. I would recommend this establishment to anyone, particularly if you can articulate your needs clearly.

I passed my BHS Stage 1 exam and am on my way to Stage 2, based on the instruction provided here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Larkhall

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I used to go every single week but stopped! I realised that if you compare it to any other riding school it's poor! It's good if you want to make friends because most of my lessons were overly crowded! The staff are alright but some times quite rude. The horses are alright aswel! The only horse that I used to want to go on was Meg as she was a plodder and hardly moved! There is one horse that is there that is absolutely crazy! His name is Melvyn and every single lesson that I have been in with him, he has disrupted the lesson! Don't get me wrong, some of the horses are okay but the ones that are great belong to people so you can't ride them! One thing that really annoyed me was that all the instructors were interested in was jumping! Mostly all my lessons we were jumping! There is one instructor called Paul and he is a good teacher, he concentrates on the rhythm and you bonding with the horses! If you are you for a one off or for someone's birthday it's good! But I wouldn't recommend going every week as it is very expensive and sometimes boring!
They sometimes hold jumping events which are good as you can enter different classes with your own horse or a riding school horse! Again it is expensive but it i good as a starter, if you are new to the world of showing!
The hacks are good because you get to see lovely views! It deffonetly boosted my confidence for a while! This was the place were i started to ride horses so I would recommend coming here if you want to start!
The rooms are also very clean.
There are lots of different horses here and I would go again in a few months as it is getting refurbished the now! I think in a few years it will have improved a lot!

• Stayed May 2013
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I stayed for 3 nights with 5 friends from University days. Maureen and her team were great - friendly, considerate and interested in what had brought us all together to Lanark (we weren't there for the riding). Breakfasts were big and cheerful - just the thing to set us up for each day's travelling and sightseeing. As I like horses, being able to watch them in the stable yard and practice ring was a bonus on the quiet moments while we got ourselves together. Price, food and atmosphere were just right, and I'll be back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I have just come back from Scotland where I stayed at this little gem of a B&B. Although I am not one of the people who was there for the riding lessons - as I purely picked it for the location - the whole place has a welcoming relaxed air and everyone goes out of their way to make your stay totally comfortable. The room was beautifully appointed and the view in the morning over the hills was just lovely. Back that up with a freshly cooked hearty breakfast and it ensured that the day got off to a great start. I was really pleased to find that my gamble on location was spot on as getting to Glasgow and Edinburgh was easy. Plenty to see in the local area - I would recommend a trip to the New Lanark historic site with the Falls of Clyde (despite the steep climb) so if you want to simply have a top value B&B then go there !! (riding lessons are optional)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Alford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 3, 2013

A lovely hotel with fantastic hospitality and service. Maureen and her team made the whole family feel welcome and the children's riding holiday that our daughter was part of was professionally run and entertained her every minute of the time. She's made lots of new friends and is keen to go back soon. Our accommodation upstairs was perfect for us and our two young boys. The Bistro is a relaxing place to sit with the children and the staff are friendly and helpful. The food, drink and service was just what we wanted with a nice range of well cooked and presented meals. The play area was a nice addition for the wee ones and we felt we could leave them to play or sit and watch without worry that they would be unsafe or disturb other guests. Our daughter is even more enthusiastic than ever and keen to keep going and develop her riding ability. We would be very happy to send her on holiday to Scottish Equi herself in the future or come again as a family. The Scottish Equi is in a great situation with lots to see and do in the surrounding area if you have time. The site itself is quite amazing I enjoyed the race course and associated history. We have been to several riding centres and felt that this is a good example of how things should be done. The horses were very happy and well cared for despite working hard with all their various customers. A fantastic holiday. We'll definitely be back.

Room Tip: We had "Aintree" with adjoining room for the children which worked really well for us.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Laura R
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Having written about this wonderful place before I thought this time I'd concentrate on the riding experience.
Adults tend to have separate lessons from the young people there on holiday and you can get involved in the horse care as much or as little as you like. If riding's all you want then the horse will be fed, groomed and tacked ready for your lesson or hack. If you want lots of contact then go across to the yard before breakfast and start with a walk to the field to fetch the horses in and take it from there until the trip back to the field at the end of the afternoon. There are slow, steady, all off road hacks and there are faster ones for those who wish. Some hacks have a little road work but the horses are rock solid so don't let this worry you. This year we had a great time on the racecourse as it wasn't busy (even a cob can gallop), did some cross country jumps (only little but I'm an oldie and have never done solid fences before) and even rode the horses bareback to the field. It was like being a teenager again! Maureen is great at judging just the type of horse to suit you (may I recommend Albert for those who are cob lovers like me).
We had great weather this year but would also add that having the young people around was great - always something going on. I would usually avoid school holidays but think I'll make an exception for Equi. Note the youngsters don't eat with the adults and are always so tired by the end of the day that there's no real noise from them at night. We had a great group of mixed nationalities so if you're thinking of sending your kids that's another plus as it may well improve their language skills.
The staff here have been looking after me since the first year - try it and they'll look after you too.
Much of the accommodation has been updated and refreshed so it's now even nicer. Ask Alana for a lime and ginger beer - a great refresher after riding.

Room Tip: I still like the rooms looking towards the indoor and outdoor schools - you can watch the hills as t...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Glasgow, UK
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Had a lovely weekend here with my daughter. Having ridden together on holiday for years, we'd let it slide, and a couple of days at a riding/stables hotel seemed like a great way to brush up our old skills and spend some time together.
Everyone treated us like old friends, and our instructor Lindsay put us through our paces while checking out what we could do. After an hour in the outdoor school we were declared able enough for a lovely hack in the woods including some quite challenging canters. Great! Another hack in the afternoon, and by our Sunday lesson we both felt a lot more confident as forgotten skills began to return.
Lovely food and a very comfortable en-suite room were such a bonus, but the real treat was the friendliness of every singe staff member. Thank you Maureen and your Team for a glorious trip.

• Stayed July 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lanark
New Lanark Mill Hotel
#1 of 8 in Lanark
Oakwood Boutique B&B
Oakwood Boutique B&B
#2 of 8 in Lanark

Been to Scottish Equestrian Hotel? Share your experiences!