“Riding the Rapids”

Ranked #1 of 16 things to do in Bala
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Just had a fantastic taster session white river rafting at Bala. George our guide made us very aware of how to behave, but at the same time I felt very safe and in capable hands. The area was beautiful and I spent some time just admiring the walks and water, and watching others who went before me. I also had the best bacon buttie ever. Really enjoyed the experience, yet another tick off my list of things to do! Hope to return with friends. I had to go solo today, but met some lovely people to share a raft with, but the centre caters for all ages, although restrictions seem to apply for under 10's i think.
Claire Cheshire

B L, Manager at The National Whitewater Centre, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2014

Hi Claire,
We will let Manon know that you enjoyed your bacon buttie, she will be ever so pleased! I'm glad you had a fantastic time rafting with us, and that you admired the beautiful countryside as well. Thank you for your lovely review and all the best with your 'to do list'!

Reviewed May 28, 2014

We discovered this center whilst out on a drive in this area.We are a little old for rafting now but had a good look around and it looked a very good set-up.We were tempted . The river is enhanced by a release of water form the reservoir above at certain times of the day creating a 3/4 rated white-water experience. Very exciting. We took the nature walk up the river and later to the great dam and reservoir above .Made a lovely walk with much to see and enjoy.

There is a small cafe at the center but very limited concerning what is available.
We much enjoyed our visit..

Hi there,
Thank you for your review, and for stopping in for a walk along the river. I'm glad you enjoyed yourselves on the Tryweryn Trail and if you stop by again, the cafe has been taken over and has a great choice of hot or cold food and drinks now so hopefully there would be something suitable for your lunch or snack. Thank you ever so much for taking the time to write your review.

Reviewed May 22, 2014

I had a canyoning experience booked with this company, two days before we were due to do it, they e-mailed me to say they where cancelling it.
As you can imagine I was very disappointed obviously because I was looking forward to it. I could have understood them cancelling because of bad conditions in the canyon and our safety would be first, but no they said it was because there was not enough people in the group.
Now I have been on other adrenalin experiences before and at times there has only been me and my husband in the group, but they have always gone ahead with the experience and taken us out. Luckily we managed to find another company to take us out.
Guess what?. There was only me and my husband in the group, we had a brilliant time.

Shame on you national white water centre.

6  Thank Pippa W
B L, Manager at The National Whitewater Centre, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2014

Sorry we weren’t able to run a canyon session for you. We would like to run all our canyon sessions but running a safe session is our main concern. As a result all our canyon sessions are staffed by a minimum of two instructors and require four canyoners to go ahead. I apologise for your session being cancelled at two days notice, on occasions this is necessary and in these circumstances we offer the choice of an alternative activity, alternative dates for canyoning or a full refund. We won’t be making any changes to our policy which affect the safety of our sessions and will continue to have a minimum of two instructors and four canyoners for this activity.

Reviewed May 14, 2014

Never done been white water rafting. Will be 50 this year. Not fit, etc, etc but thought we'd give it a go and it was the BEST FUN and highly recommended! YES you get very wet, NO I don't think you'd fall in unless you were doing something silly. So glad we did it!

Hi there,
Thank you very much for your review, and you've answered the question we get asked a lot (whether you'll fall in)! I'm glad you enjoyed your time with us and thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Reviewed May 14, 2014

I have been to this center 3 times over a few years. I would go all the time if i lived nearby but a 6 hour journey prevents this!

The team who runs this center are all very friendly, helpful, and well trained. I always feel very safe when rafting. Your equipment is provided and managed very well, the facilities are good though the cafe could do with being a little bit larger.

When you arrive, you sign in and let them know you are here, sign a disclaimer, then you wait untill your turn and you get your wetsuits (varying sizes) and wetshoes. Get yourself changed and head out. Then you are fitted with a lifejacket and a helmet (safety first!) and out you go to the raft!

You are taken through the raft, how/where to sit, how to paddle then the instructions that will be yelled at you as you go down the rapids.

Once all this is done you load the raft onto the trailer and get in the minibus and head on up to the top of the rapids and get ready to go! You load the raft into the water (Yes it's very cold!) get yourself seated and off you go. It's a bit daunting the first time but you'll be screaming with joy soon enough! Just watch your ankles on the rocks!

Worth doing and gladly come all the way from essex to do this!

Hi Thomas,
It's so lovely to hear that you think our rafting is worth the journey all the way from Essex, thank you! The cafe is a bit small, particularly in the Winter when our outside seating can not be used, hopefully we will be able to address this in the future. Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review, it is hugely appreciated and hopefully we will see you over the next few years as well!