“Lovely hotel but bed needs replacing”
Review of The Old Priory

The Old Priory
Reviewed September 20, 2010

The hotel was lovely, very very old and quaint on a way only British hotels can be However, I agree with a previous review about the room, Mary Bell. I can truly say it is the most uncomfortable bed I have ever slept in. It is like sleeping on straw and it creaks very loudly with every move which not only keeps you awake but probably every one else as well. If the owner spent a night in that bed it would be replaced the next day! The welcome was warm, the facilities fine and the restaurant unrivalled - I would go back to eat but not to stay in case of another sleepless night.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 4, 2010

Lovely old building, with lovely dining room, breakfast room and snug bar. The food in the restaurant was fantastic, at dinner and at breakfast. Unfortunately, the room did not live up to the restaurant's high standards. We had booked a superior room, but I couldn't see what we were paying extra for. Admittedly it was big, it was up in the eaves, and it had another room attached with two small beds, so basically it was a family room - not really what we'd expected. The beds were ancient - extremely hard, and you could feel every spring when you moved. The carpet had been vacuumed but it was grubby, and the furniture and fittings were tired. In the morning I felt as though I didn't sleep a wink all night. To add to that, there were low beams everywhere where we banged our heads several times - one strategically placed on the way to the bathroom. The room was not particularly clean - very dusty. The bathroom didn't have a proper shower, just a shower attachment in the bath that it seemed impossible to get the temperature right. To top it all off there - and not entirely their fault I suppose - there was the biggest, hairiest spider resident in the bathroom, and after I'd spotted him the first time I started spotting cobwebs everywhere. NOT the relaxing night's stay we had hoped for. Such a shame because the restaurant really is great, and the breakfast included in the rate was its only saving grace. Perhaps they should stick to what they do best and ditch the 'hotel' part.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tricker74
Reviewed July 11, 2010

We stayed at The Old Priory Hotel on a Saturday night to celebrate our wedding anniversary after hearing great things about The Moody Goose restaurant. The restaurant was all we'd expected it to be - delicious food, good service and reasonably priced. As we live fairly locally, staying the night was an additional treat that we now wish we'd done without. Our room was very hot and we were kept awake until 2am by the music from a nearby pub, boy racers on the high street and the couple in the room next door having a blazing row! Whilst none of this is the owners fault, it certainly spoilt what should have been a relaxing evening away for us and I would not stay there again. I would definitely go back to the restuarant though - top notch.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 20, 2010

Stayed overnight in this beautiful hotel - unfortunately the bed was so uncomfortable (creaked at the slighest movement and mattress with lumps that resulted in dead legs) that we simply didn't sleep. Such a shame. The breakfast was outstanding. The previous night we enjoyed a delightful meal in the restaurant - great food and service, could not fault it.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 4, 2010

Excellent food at dinner and for breakfast but I felt bedroom was a bit disappointing and in need of updating in an sympathetic way although my husband did`nt agree.Would have loved the fire to be lit in the breakfast room and the lounge as the hotel has the potential to be very cosy and romantic.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 28, 2009

I arranged to stay at this hotel as a birthday treat for my husband. It coincided with the opening of the xmas markets in Bath ( about 20 mins by car) and a visit to the Thermae Spa. We were greeted with a warm welcome and shown to our room where we were brought fresh milk for our tea and cake. Very nice touch.

That night we ate in the restaurant. AMAZING. From start to finish i did not want the meal to end as every mouthfull was delicious. Our waitress was attentive and helpful without being in our faces. I will talk about this meal for years to come!!

The breakfast was of equal standard with excellent choice using quality ingredients.

Three separate ladies helped us during our stay and all three went above and beyond to make sure we were comfortable. I cannot rate the service highly enough.

All in all a wonderful experience. We shall def return.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 20, 2009

Medieval hotel decorated to fit into period. Service is excellent.
Generally comfortable but the lack of a shower is a draw back. There is a hand held shower as part of the bath taps but it produces little water the temperature of which never stays the same.
Food both at breakfast and in the upmarket restaurant is excellent.
Very central for touring the area

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Old Priory? Share your experiences!