“Wonderful hotel, outstanding staff, not far from longleat”

Best Western Plus Centurion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Midsomer Norton
Southend-on-Sea
“Wonderful hotel, outstanding staff, not far from longleat”
Reviewed July 29, 2010

This hotel is located on a kind of small industrial estate but by a school with small villages and nice pubs about 10 minutes in either direction. This is a wonderful hotel, very clean and modern, decorated to a good standard and the bedrooms are very comfortable and of a good quality (beds are very comfy).The hotel has wonderful gardens, a nice looking golf course, and a smallish indoor swimming pool. We stayed here for a long weekend and visted Longleat, Cheddar Gorge and Bath. Taxi into bath was £25 each way 20-25 minute journey. The hotel has a decent restaurant and an adquate bar. When we stayed there was a wedding going on but the hotel is well designed and the rooms are very quite - suprised us! The one down side was that we stayed on a room only basis but took breakfast seperately which we thought was priced on the menu as £6.95 - fair value. BEWARE the cost of breakfast is £12.95 - poor value, on realising this at check out we complained and the manager was good enough to reduce the costs but disagreed that the prices were not clear - hope they change that! What we found outstanding was the customer service. Every single member of staff was simply performing at the top of our expectations - the best customer service in a long time yet it seemed to be perfectly normal to operate like this across the hotel from the check in, to bringing an iron to the room within 2 minutes, giving information on the local area, the night porter serving drinks after the bar closed etc etc FANTASTIC. We would go back to this hotel time and time again with the service and experience we had. Highly recommended (just watch that breakfast).

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Lancashire
Reviewed June 25, 2010

Greeted by very friendly efficient young man on reception. Had a twin room, clean & pleasantly furnished. Windows were shut & the room was very hot, complimentary water was on simmering point! Got the little fan out & left it running with the windows open whilst I visited the bar.
Bathroom was a bit tired around the edges & the shower was rubbish.
The dining room was lovely & the staff very friendly. Sat on the terrace with lovely views over the golf course/park....very relaxing.
Had a salad for my meal & wish I had the fish & chips my colleague had as they looked yummy...the salad was a bit lame.
Had use of the board room & perfectly adequate for our needs. No problems for the staff to meet our needs in a very pleasant professional way.
The facilities were very good & although my twin bed was not the most comfortable I had slept in I would definately consider staying here again if in the area.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
London
Reviewed June 3, 2010

To start on a positive, I could not fault the staff, they were polite, friendly and efficient ......

When I read the reviews for this hotel on Trip Advisor it sounded perfect. I wanted to be close enough to visit Bath and Wells but to stay in a rural/semi rural hotel, as a Londoner it is important to me to get away from city living. This hotel is definitely semi rural ...... It is rural at the back and facing an industrial estate at the front!

I expressed my disappointment at the hotels location at check in (prior to seeing my room) and my allocated room was immediately changed to one overlooking the golf course at the back. The original room overlooked the car park and industrial estate!

The bedroom and bathroom were clean and pleasant enough. (Although the one armed chairs were evidence of style over substance) However, the beds were covered with those horrible plastic matress protectors that leave you dripping wet in the middle of the night. There was also a hum/drone at night which did not aid a good nights sleep.

The tea/coffee making facilities included one and a half biscuits each per day. There were cheap plastic cups in the bathroom and none of the bits and pieces you would expect in a hotel charging these prices.

When I booked the hotel I intended to use the spa facilities. However, the pool and the spa area felt more like a public pool than a relaxing spa. It was situated right next to the Sports Bar and was used by the local community. (Nothing wrong with this but not what you expect of a Spa hotel). As a result of the above I did not use to facillities.

The restaurant had an impressive menu ...... which it didn't live up to. Breakfast was OK.

I am not usually a moaner so I will stop now. This hotel charges 145 pounds per night for a double room ...... If it was 75 pounds this review would have been more positive.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Surrey
Reviewed May 31, 2010

I took my Mother here for her 80th birthday - hotel is between Bath and Wells, so it seemed a good spot. The hotel is perhaps a little unfortunately situated - just by a small industrial estate - but don't let this put you off, it does't impinge at all and there is no noise. The rooms were lovely, particularly if you have one with a view over the garden, as my Mother did.

The staff were exceptionally helpful - probably among the most helpful I have experienced, and genuinely wanted to make sure your stay was good. The food was excellent - the breakfasts in particular were lovely, well presented, freshly prepared and hot.

Good leisure facilities, a pleasant and spacious lounge and a bar. I was impressed, and have made plans to take my husband there for his birthday later in the year. It is near Bath and Wells, and Glastonbury - very well situated. A great stay and made my Mother's special birthday a big success.

• Stayed May 2010
Leicester
Reviewed May 27, 2010

have previously stayed at this hotel a fnumber of times for business and then decided to stay here whilst visiting Bath (20 mins away) this year. Rooms, cleanliness, staff and food all very good. Even ventured into the swimming pool with my daughter on this visit.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
West Sussex
Reviewed December 20, 2009

We chose this hotel for a pre-Christmas relaxing break with a view to spending Saturday in Bath. We booked a weekend deal which included 2 nights bed and breakfast with dinner on the first night. A great price for this. We had a really great stay and would highly recommend.

The staff were all, and yes I really do mean all, very friendly, helpful and efficient. We cannot fault a single one of the 12 or so staff we had direct contact with during our stay. Particularly, Mark in the restaurant was great and we got the feeling that nothing would have been too much trouble for him.

Our room was modern and clean. Funky velvet chairs, beautiful curtains and a velvet bed runner all combine for that wonderful wow factor when you first open your door. The only slight disappointment was the bathroom which has been spruced up rather than refurbished but it was clean and did the job, we were both happy to have a bath and we can't say that for everywhere we have stayed! We managed to peek in many rooms on the way to breakfast on the Sunday as they were being cleaned after check out and all seemed the same high standard. Our room overlooked a lovely landscaped garden and on out to the golf course, a beautiful view.

Both nights of our stay they had big Christmas parties taking place in a function room which was next to the restaurant but we couldn't hear a thing once we were back in our room.

The hotel has a restaurant called Cubros, nice decor and lots of soft, black leather sofa's in the bar (Check out the very cool Gladiator helmets on display, kept well out of reach as I'm sure would prove too tempting for most!) There is a lovely conservatory with an elegant feel .We had a delicious 3 course meal on the first night, so much so that we booked in for the Saturday night also. There is a very small supplement of £2 or £3 on a few of the dishes such as fish or the rib eye steak but the majority of their usual menu is included in the dinner deal. Having expected a separate menu with maybe 3 choices per course this was a pleasant surprise. We cleaned every plate and were really very happy with the food all weekend, and I can be a bit of a fusspot so it says alot that we were happy with breakfasts and both meals. We had great steaks, a delicious roast, a fab white chocolate cheesecake... The waiter on our first night was able to recommend a fantastic merlot which we liked so much we had again on the second night and will try to get hold of for Christmas, it was Hacienda del Rey from Chile if you're wondering! My only complaint re the food is a very simple one - the ketchup - if you are someone who likes ketchup with chips and fried breakfasts then it is very irritating when your only option is a cheap variety that is mostly vinegar. A small complaint.

The mattress was really wonderful, again this is the sort of thing that can really spoil a weekend away, but we slept so well that we missed our alarm and were in a rush for breakfast both mornings! The sheets smelt and felt clean and fresh.

We drove about 10 mins and saw a park and ride for Bath called Odd Down. It cost £2 each, we got straight on a bus and sat upstairs to take in the amazing views, the snow added to the scenery of course, lucky us! It was so stress free, again we got straight on a bus on the way home. I recommend this for a day trip to Bath. Bath is as beautiful as ever of course.

We did not make use of the spa/leisure facilities so cannot comment on these. Free parking and lots of it, room service available, great plasma TV in room, a complimentary glass bottle of sparkling and still water in your room, lovely mugs instead of cups, a variety of warm, freshly baked complimentary rolls such as walnut bread and sun dried tomato, a jug of ice water offered each night at dinner, tea and coffee offered immediately and brought straight out at breakfast, large pots of each. It is these little things that help to make a big difference to your stay. Well done all at Centurion.

This is a very good 3 star. We had a really great stay here and would very happily return, infact we hope to next year!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
South Wales
Reviewed December 8, 2009

An excellent well run hotel with easy access to visit Bath and the surrounding Somerset countryside. Clean and comfortable bedrooms, one drawback being poor lighting in the bedroom, however there is a large lounge available for reading etc.. There are pleasant bars and restaurant, with a good dinner and lunch menu, and also an excellent breakfast. The staff were friendly and efficient.
There were extensive leisure facilities (not used in our case), with a golf course, swimmimg pool, gym, pool table etc..
The hotel is situated just off the A 367 into Bath about 6 miles from the large Park&Ride(free parking £2.50 per person bus fare) a bonus when you see the Bath traffic.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
#1 of 2 in Shepton Mallet
Best Western Plus Swan Hotel
DoubleTree by Hilton Bristol South - Cadbury House
Holiday Inn Express Bath

Been to Best Western Plus Centurion Hotel? Share your experiences!