“exallent 5 star”

Ranked #13 of 20 Porthcawl B&B and Inns
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“exallent 5 star”
Reviewed April 29, 2014

me and my partner mr and mrs jones stayed hear recently thursday and friday nite and they couldnt be more helpful and the room and breakfast were lovely i would recomend it to anyone who wanted to stay at porthcawl

mark jones and caren jones

Room Tip: room 8 with balcony
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mark l
PaulaBlueseas, Owner at Blue Seas Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, May 3, 2014
Hi
Thank you for taking time to write a review, we do really appreciate it. So glad you enjoyed it would be lovely to see you again when you are in the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
uk
Reviewed April 28, 2014

Before we set out for a few days in Wales, I had read some of the reviews on here about this place, and I was actually a bit worried about staying at this B&B.

Some people claim Paula was horrid, that the rooms were dated, and that the café served moldy food and staff was rude. None of this was true in our experience. When we arrived, Paula came out to greet us and show us around. She was pleasant enough and not the type to be overbearing or disturb your privacy. She took us to a room on the ground floor, which was better than what we had booked as it had a double bed and a single bed. The room was modern, clean and comfy. Plenty of mains if you need them. The bathroom just outside the door was also clean, pleasant, with a working shower and hot water, no issues whatsoever with that. We were lucky as we didn't have to share the bathroom with anyone. My only comment about the bathroom was that there was barely any soap in the dispenser, and we found the same in the guest toilet.

There is also a comfy television room and Paula tells you that you can use this as you wish to watch Sky. It was empty when we were there apart from a few cats so we did sit and chill a few minutes after we arrived. She didn't offer us a drink or anything, but I guess that's not standard at a B&B when you arrive? She did however tell us where to go to find restaurants, and drinks, which was a little touristy area just a five minute walk away, part of a caravan park at Trecco Bay. This I will review separately because it was horrible. However there are other little pubs and such scattered about the area, and I believe a small market nearby, so if you need supplies, you won't have to drive.

Rooms also have a kettle, with coffee packets and tea, along with a few milk pots. Heating doesn't seem to be on at night, but we weren't cold, and beds were comfy enough with plenty of pillows and extra blankets are provided if you need them. Television in the room works, but reception was very poor so kept cutting out, so virtually unwatchable. Also phone reception in room was bad, and no wifi in the room even through we tried to log on using the B&B's given password for access (tried five times, didn't work). Perhaps only some of the rooms have wi fi access or the weather affected it.

Place was quiet at night (Friday night), nothing disturbed us, we slept well. We got up for breakfast in the café. Café is nicely decorated, catches the sunlight, and view of the ocean. Staff were pleasant and efficient. They do hot breakfasts if you like, coffee and tea and juice. No long waits for food, and nothing wrong with the food, either.

You are able to park right outside the place, or in the drive, so no issues with parking.

The best bit? You are right on the beach, and can go for a stroll along the coast, walk up to Porthcawl pier or town centre if you fancy, a lovely walk even if the weather isn't so good.

I would definitely stay here again. The price was decent (£55 for the night) and it was easy to get to by car and our sat nav took us right to the front door.

Don't let the poor reviews put you off.

Room Tip: If you want wi fi, definitely ask for it, or if you want your own bathroom, ask for it in advance
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
PaulaBlueseas, Owner at Blue Seas Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
Hi
Thank you so much for taking time to write a kind candid review for our guest house and also for caring enough to put the record straight, as I am sure you are aware reviews are extremely important to us and tourists the world over, like every walk of life you will always get people who are unfair and try to spoil things for others. I cannot imagine what pleasure they derive from this, but that said, I am so happy you decided to give us the benefit of the doubt, and that you were happy. I would like to take this opportunity to give you a little background on Blue Seas Guest House when we bought it, it was in need of total renovation as it had previously been an old age peoples home, so it had lots of bathrooms, but no en-suites, we have now managed to convert so all but three of the ten rooms have en-suites or private bathrooms the rooms that share a bathroom as you say are kept at budget prices of £35.00 for a single or £55.00 for a twin, which we feel is fair for a beach side guest house. Thank you for bringing to my attention the situation with the soap dispensers I have addressed the situation and was informed that the delivery for replacement was late and as there were soaps placed in all rooms the housekeeper did not fetch it to my attention, that said she assures me she will keep an eye in future.
I thought about your comment re not offering you a drink when you arrived and wondered whether that may be a good thing to do, but in my experience when people arrive they usually have plans and prefer to do their own thing and of course they have Tea and Coffee facilities in the rooms. The heating is on a timer and comes on in the morning and evening and goes off over night as we find most people cant sleep with central heating on, but would always oblige if someone requested it.
So sorry to hear you had an issue with the television, we had no idea, but we will certainly get this sorted out, with regard to the wifi the reception is better in the rooms on the first and second floor and nearer the front of the building where the router is located, as you rightly say if this is important to guests they need to request the rooms with a good signal when booking or use the main lounge which is fine, regarding the mobile phone, well they are a law to themselves and depending on who your contract is with I guess as to whether you can pick up a signal, we are with three and ours is great. Re the cats they are ours and live upstairs with us in the main, but if you are relaxing and they come into your space just shut the door on them and they will come to us and not be a bother to you. The cafe is not actually run by ourselves we sub let it, but I know Sue takes great pride in it and often receives compliments on the quality of the food.
So glad you enjoyed our beautiful location, we feel so blessed. The locals call Newton Bay " The Jewel in the crown" having visited I am sure you understand why!
We look forward to welcoming you to our home in the future.
Paula .
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2014

We stayed this Easter Sunday just gone! (2014) I booked up for my family in the premier room (top floor) we had stayed before and loved it so booked it again for a short break away for the weekend.

I had no email off blueseas after booking so called them myself, week before trip to confirm details again, Paula (owner) answered and said everything was fine, however could we move to the chalet for our overnight stay, so they could accommodate another guest in room I had booked!!

Paula said chalet was spacious, comfortable and high standard, with sky TV. As We had stayed before in premier room I thought knew what to expect as previous stays in the premier room, were clean, tidy, and we have had happy stays in it before.

How wrong I was!

The chalet is disgusting, it's damp and has a musty damp smell, our clothes all stunk of it upon our return home! The door has two locks, to which we were told ignore the top lock it does not work,! Only use bottom lock. After dumping suitcase, we left for the town, upon our return the top lock to which we had no key was locked. We were locked out. After rob openend it for us he finally gave us a key for the faulty lock!

The kitchen is dirty, greasy, windows have rusty catches, drafty and single glazed! They also leak in the rain! There is no matching plate set or cutlery, the mugs all have chips on rims, and there is a rusty electric can opener on wall! The electric plug sockets are heavily overloaded with plugs. There is a cupboard to store rusty pans in, with damp up walls, and cobwebs spiders galore, which is shared with the boiler.

The living room is old and dated, again rusty catches on single glazed windows, dust and hair around room edges, very poor!

The bathroom is drafty, again single glazed rusty windows, with dirty window sills, and cobwebs round lights throughout, also the cupboard with boiler in has no working or proper catch on it same as in kitchen (shared cupboard) very bad with kids around!
There is a disgusting rusty toilet brush with goodness knows what on it! YUCK!
Wallpaper peeling everywhere you look!
Damp patches on walls behind toilet!

The hallway again is damp drafty, widows leak when it rains, dirty window . Cobwebs on lights, a door at far end to which is locked (we had no key)but leads to another room!

In night we wedged a chair under handle just for our own piece of mind and safety! Especially with my young family!

Bedrooms are cold, again drafty, damp musty smell again, and single glazed windows that leak in rain!

Extremely poor, views from chalet are of a litter filled, courtyard, with old door, cookers, serving dishes, and general waste (to which you have to walk past to get in and out of chalet) unbelievable impression you want to show your guests!!

Avoid at all costs, we were led to believe chalet was of same standard as premier room we had stayed in on previous stays, it's clear now why Paula asked us to pay upfront before showing us our accommodation, very unprofessional way to treat guests! Show he, accommodation first at least!

Didwant to speak to owners in person yesterday morning but they were not available, only cafe staff! We left promptly and was gone for 8:45am

(Have also emailed owners direct with feedback)

Will no longer be returning to blueseas, avoid!!

Room Tip: Avoid chalet at all costs!!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Gareth M
PaulaBlueseas, Owner at Blue Seas Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Hi Gareth
I am sorry that you were disappointed with our chalet.
You are quite correct when you say I offered you the opportunity to move from our premier room, which is in a newly built part of the building, a room which is spacious clean and modern with a double bed a single bed and an en suite bathroom which we are very proud of.
The reason I offered you the change of accommodation was because you were two adults and two children and a dog, and that lovely spacious room then becomes less spacious and I felt you would enjoy more if you had plenty of room .
The chalet offers a lounge with brand new carpets throughout and new laminate flooring in the kitchen it has a tan leather three seater and two seater sofa with a pine table and chairs for dining, which are all in reasonable condition, there are brand new curtains through out with matching lamps and shades, also a full sky tv package with a 42 inch flat screen tv in the lounge, which children love. The kitchen whilst small comprises of six matching church hill large and small plates with small cereal bowls and 6 bone china mugs ( with no chips), and the cutlery set is also 6 of each all matching, there are no rusty pots or pans.
You were correct about the fact that there are two double adapters to feed the toaster, kettle, outside light and electric tin opener, but this is quite safe I am assured.
The two bedrooms are adequately furnished with with 1 double bed and three single beds they are large and spacious enough to add another bed if needed. We do have a problem with a couple of slats missing off the window blind in one bedroom, which is on order, to be replaced, and the curtain is adequate at the present.
You are not totally correct when you say it is single glazed as in fact it is double glazed in the front and single glazed in the back it is a summer letting chalet, and guests can keep the heating on twenty four hours a day if they require it, we have never had an issue with the heat levels for this reason.
I have checked for damp and cannot find any and the chalet is always kept very clean and tidy without exception. I cannot smell the musty smell you speak of only the lovely lavender and rose air fresheners which are scattered around the building.
I do agree that there was an old door at the other end of the building which we had just removed from the chalet because it was sub standard and it is our intention to knock down the porch and replace the door with a brand new upvc door next week.
I have to stress that the chalet is not sold with views of the ocean, and I believe that this is reflected in the price of the accommodation of £100.00 per night or £ 500.00 per week, as in your case £95.00 for two adults two children and a dog including breakfast, to have the benefit of a lounge with full sky package kitchen,bathroom, and two bedrooms, a forecourt with patio furniture to relax in, and all you need to do is walk 50 yards and you are on the beach.
Finally it is standard practice for us to request payment when guests arrive, but if you had come to see me with your issues on checking in and you were unhappy I would of gladly given your money back, and would of been only happy to help you find alternative accommodation, as we would prefer guests find somewhere else if they are not happy with what we offer.
I am always available in the mornings in the office where you came to check in originally and would of been more than happy to discuss any issues with you, I of course would of preferred this opportunity when you checked in not after your departure.
In conclusion i can only say once again I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 29, 2014

Had a lovely few days in Porthcawl, I cannot recommend this guest house enough! Our room was clean and very modern, the breakfast was tasty and the staff were outstanding!!
From the time we arrived to the time we left staff couldnt do enough, over looking the beach! We will def be returning soon!

• Stayed March 2014
PaulaBlueseas, Owner at Blue Seas Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review us it is always useful to receive reviews, and beneficial for ourselves and fellow travellers.
Our aim is to please, and we hope you will visit us again if in the area.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

Me and the wife stayed for 2 nights at the Blue Seas recently and was really surprised at the quality of the rooms and the food for the price we paid. Sea views aren't bad either! We will definitely be going back in the summer when it's a bit warmer and we can enjoy the beach!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your kind review.
We look forward to seeing you in the summer.
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 17, 2014

please can I thank all staff at blue seas b&b for making both my husband and I welcome ...the room we had was excellent,well recommended,the full English breakfast was so nice too,i would well recommened you to anyone,what a clean lovely place it was, we will be returning...thankyou once again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
PaulaBlueseas, Owner at Blue Seas Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Thank you so much for your kind review it is always so pleasing when we are appreciated
UK
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Just got back tonight from another 3 night relaxing break at the Blue Seas B&B. Paula & Robin (the owners) once again welcomed myself and my partner with open arms and could not do enough to ensure that all of our needs were met for the duration of our stay.
We totally lucked out, with this weekends heat wave for our long walks on the beach and our early evening BBQ's. Although we do enjoy this beautiful beach rain or shine, warm or cold. this is one of our favourite areas.
The staff in the café, were helpful and friendly and the entire building was clean, tidy and in my opinion tastefully decorated.
The beds are comfortable, the rooms large and accommodating and we feel that it is our home from home
The reasons we stay at this bed and breakfast is the beautiful beach front location, the stunning views, three great local pubs that serve food and is within very easy walking distance of the B&B, this is the village of Newton beach steeped in history.
I recommend this place to all of my friends and family, solo travellers because of the friendly staff and neighbours, as well as business travellers, families and couples.
Enjoy my fellow travellers Louise & Pascal. We will be back!!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for leaving such a candid review, it is always exceptionally nice when our guests return time and time again to our Guest House and that they always take time to say Thank you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Porthcawl
The Brentwood Hotel
#5 of 9 in Bridgend
The West House Country Hotel
The West House Country Hotel
#1 of 1 in Llantwit Major

Been to Blue Seas Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!