“Beware if you are a certain age”

Atlantic Hotel Porthcawl
Ranked #6 of 20 Porthcawl B&B and Inns
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Beware if you are a certain age”
Reviewed January 10, 2011

I have visit this hotel, for meals with my husband, I had asked the question would it be ok to have a childs dinner as I have a medical problem, I was told no problem provding we had dinner in the pub area and not the dinning room, I was so pleased, I said to my husband that I would bring my 86 year old mother to have lunch there, she is very frail, she to has only has a small meal when we dine out, after travelling 15 miles to have lunch there just before xmas, I was told I could not have a childs meal, I told the waiter I had made arrangment in the past up until now there was not a problem, I asked to speak to the manager, I was told they had eldery people dine there and they lie about their health problems, but she did say she accomodated a 98 year old as a favor how rude of her to say that, she is not interested in your wellbeing only in your money even our small meal would have cost us over £8 each there is a place that will accomodate your needs, not to far away called the priory golf club, home made meals, my mum and I went there after we were insulted by the owner, we were very well looked after, you need to read the reviews about this hotel as you can read I am not the only person complaining.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank cherrytreelodge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
UK
Reviewed November 25, 2010

i recently booked a night at the Atlantic as a treat for my parents' golden wedding anniversary. From the point of booking through to settling the bill all of the staff I spoke with were friendly and professional and seemed to go out of their way to ensure that my parents had a fabulous stay. They even arranged for gold coloured balloons to be placed on their table in the restaurant at no extra charge - a nice touch I thought. My parents reported back that they'd thoroughly enjoyed their stay, their bedroom had fantastic sea views and was spotlessly clean and dinner was delicious. All in all a great stay and good value for money. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2010
Wetherby
Reviewed September 15, 2010

Delightful hotel, wonderfully situated overlooking the sea. All the staff were charming, helpful & enthusiastic. Absolutely delicious & interesting food with a very extensive dinner menu & large portions. Lovely big room, beautifully furnished. Stayed 6 nights, 2 to 8 September 2010. We shall definitely return. Glorious beaches nearby and convenient for Swansea, the Gower Peninsular, Laugharne, and indeed all South Wales!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TonyDWetherby
Powys
Reviewed August 18, 2010

We visited the hotel last Sunday whilst on a trip to the seaside, it was 3.15pm, yet you could still order a Sunday lunch, it arrived piping hot, loads of beef, plenty of veg, and luuuurrrvely gravy. It was a lovely sunny afternoon and we ate outside, very relaxing and staff very friendly despite being so busy. Would definately visit again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Neath, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 3, 2010

The location is great, a good base for exploring this part of the coast, brilliant nature reserve.
Sadly, the hotel staff (apart from the excellent and helpful receptionist) don't live up to the surroundings, a previous reviewer called them indifferent, I'd certainly agree with this, it seemed to be too much of an effort to smile.
The food is very bad value for money, we were promised a vegetarian menu but there was a very limited choice and the selection we made at supper and breakfast were not available. We ended up at one supper with a poor second choice, two bland blobs of goat's cheese on a dry bed of lettuce. We had to ask for dressing, (but we only got a couple of sachets of Heinz salad cream). Not good value for the price (approx £9) that was charged and not at all tasty.
We overheard others complaining about the service and food, so I don't think it's a 'veggie' menu issue alone.
Worryingly, we found out that a builder had been given access to our room while we were out, without our knowledge. We only found out by accident as he'd left one of his tools in our room and the room was left only partly cleaned.
The room itself was average, nice views. The TV didn't work properly.
The hotel bar did become noisy at night, not too much of a problem for us where our room was located but we did note that other guests in rooms at the front of the hotel had complained

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Harlow
Reviewed July 9, 2010

Enjoyable family reunion spent at this hotel.
Comfortable beds and refurbished rooms facing the sea.
Food very good but slow service in the evenings but worth waiting for as freshly cooked.
Sunday lunch menu very good value and a good choice.
We hope to come again soon.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Porthcawl
Reviewed May 27, 2010

My Wife and I live local to this hotel and decided to visit there for a meal for my 66th Birthday, I had booked well in advance and arrived on time, we were shown to our seats at 7.30pm, the bad service then became apparent because it was 7.50 before a waitress came and asked if we wanted a drink, we waited for another 15 min before the drinks arrived, in total it was over two and a half hours before they served us our two course meal.

The meal was very dry and for the price charged was very dissapointing, we were charged over £9.00 for two glasses of very cheap french wine, the total bill being over £45.00.

I do not mind paying for good service and good food! This hotel did not give either, even when I complained to the barman who took our money he was not interested.

This would be the last place in porthcawl I would ever choose for a meal again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Trevor O

Travelers are raving about these Porthcawl hotels