“A time and a place to retreat to”
Review of Olivia House

Olivia House
Ranked #1 of 20 Porthcawl B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“A time and a place to retreat to”
Reviewed November 29, 2012

I was fortunate enough to have fallen upon this delightful warm place. I had set no expectations but had the need to just get accommadation for a few nights. I have learnt whilst travelling like I do, that sometimes value is something not always measured with stars or the pound. I have the unforntunate requirements to work away from home and it is mostly dull and boring once my work is finished. Not the type for the pub or clubs, I like something different with a twist of class. To my surprise from the moment I walked into this place I knew I had been transported, the delight, the charactor and ambience of this place stood out from the rest and left me with a warm feeling inside. The host, Annette, was charming and very accomadating to my requirements and her team were most fun to be with. The food was great and the openess was relaxing and comforting. If you want to have a life experience that is uncharactoristic of Porthcrawl, South Wales or even that of United Kingdom, this is one of those places

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Tim M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Guildford
Reviewed November 27, 2012

What a welcome we had after whizzing down the M4 on a Friday afternoon - the wine and glasses were in the sitting room waiting for us! Our hostess Annette was so warm and generous and the place itself was fascinating, cosy and quirky and you were immediately put at ease. We stayed in the French room, which was very comfortable and I loved the roll top bath and the beautiful toile de jouy fabric.
The full Welsh breakfast was a meal to last the day and was absolutely delicious with an extraordinary array of food, including 'Welsh caviar'. Nothing quite like lavabread, which you either love or hate!
Nothing was too much for Annette and we can't recommend the experience highly enough!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Rhondda, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 25, 2012

What a special place ! my husband and I unfortunately only stayed for one night we could have easily stayed for longer. The house itself is beautiful, full of character. We were welcomed very warmly by a lady called Lynne and a cat called Elliot ( the most beautiful cat ever!) we immediately felt at home! The room was very special, we stayed in the French room where I thoroughly enjoyed a nice hot soak in the rolled top bath whilst watching tv, what more would you want, pure relaxation! Breakfast was stunning, compliments to the chef! I can't recommend this place enough, if your planning to stay in porthcawl this is the place to stay!

Room Tip: The French room has a lovely relaxing bath in the corner of the room, nice touch!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ria O
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 25, 2012

It is the second time we have stayed at Olivia House in the last two months and each time we found it to be the perfect little retreat for my girlfriend and I away from the hustle and bustle. The hosts Annette and Lynne were wonderful, so accommodating, they made our stay special each time. In the morning they will also serve you the perfect full English breakfast using the "best ingredients" and I am very fussy! I am also an interior designer and I loved the character of each room, it is very cosy, elegant, lots of character with the communal dining room, lounge and kitchen where you are able to play chess or simply have a few Grey Goose or coffee before leaving for dinner.

Our first stay was in The French Room, where after dining at a local restaurant with a few glasses of vino it was back to the hotel for a night cap and a chat with our host then retired to our room with a bottle of champagne and chocolates, ran a big bubble bath which is situated within the room and watched a few DVD's provided by the hotel!

Our second stay was in The Balcony Room which boasts the largest bed i've ever seen or slept in, so comfortable! The hosts were also more than happy, as one of our couples is a chef (if we didn't make too much of a mess of course!) for us to purchase some local scallops, fish and prepare a beautiful dinner which we had in the dining room along with a few bottles of wine, Annette and a friend joined us later on, it was a fabulous evening of food, conversation and laughter! The following morning after breakfast, a coffee and newspaper reading session on the balcony, Lily and I took a walk along the beach for a little fresh air and watched the waves crashing on the rocks, beautiful! (Picture attached).

I would urge anyone who was looking for a relaxing weekend away to pay this quaint establishment a visit! I would also like to thank you guys once again for making our stay a very special one and look forward to seeing you again very soon x

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Penarth, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 23, 2012

We stayed at the hospitality of the Olivia House team and we're treated like royalty. The use of house including the dining room for a dinner party was an amazing treat. Annette made this a home from home and Lynne fed us until we smiled. Will put this on my must visit again list! Thank you OH!

Room Tip: Frech or Balcony
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

We had such a lovely weekend at Olivia house. The rooms were beautifully and individually decorated, i had a brilliant couple of nights sleep in the extremely comfortable bed, and was treated to a delicious welsh breakfast in the morning, which was definitely needed! Annette and co were absolute stars too. Thank you for a great weekend, there's nowhere else in porthcawl that I would rather stay!

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I've stayed in many Hotels, Guest Houses and B&B's all around the World but never in one where I have been made so welcome.
Nothing was too much trouble and the level of comfort was incredible. This is certainly on my list of places to visit again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Porthcawl
The Brentwood Hotel
Foamedge Guesthouse
Foamedge Guesthouse
#3 of 6 in Porthcawl
Best Western Aberavon Beach Hotel

Been to Olivia House? Share your experiences!