Rose and Crown Public House
Mary House(Porthcawl)
  • Beachfront
Pebble House(Porthcawl)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsthe pubreverend jamespopular with the localslovely mealone night staysunday luncha lovely staybreakfast was excellentgood sizecooked to perfectionfull welsh breakfastlovely placebrainsfireplacealepint
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We only stayed for one night but, the room was clean,spacious and more than adequate for our needs. We had dinner which was excellent my husbands steak was cooked just as he liked it. I had the burger which was huge, I had to dismantle it to eat it and was delicious. Staff are very welcoming and attentive. We would definitely return. X

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
llpage, Manager at Rose and Crown Public House, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Many thanks for your kind review, we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed here last night and found the service was terrific. Very friendly staff, couldn't do enough for you. The room was comfortable and clean. The showers are the best we've had in a hotel.
The meals are substantial , which is what you need after a tough day on he golf course.
I recommend this to anyone wanting a homely feel.

Room Tip: Room nine is perfect, overlooking the small park opposite. You can park directly in front.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
llpage, Manager at Rose and Crown Public House, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Thank you so much for your kind review and I am pleased our team delivered a great service to you
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future

Reviewed July 28, 2013

We live locally and I took my parents here for sunday lunch when they came to stay as it has a good reputation. My vegetarian pearl barley risotto was good, but everyone else had the Sunday lunch which was average and unremarkable. The service was very poor (lots of staff hanging about, but no-one doing very much) and we were ignored for long periods, having to ask to order our food after having menus for a long time, and then having to ask for our plates to be cleared. Other reviews suggest that this place is a bithit and miss, and this was definitely a miss.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

I am very sorry to read about your experience on this Sunday. The experience you descirbe is certainly not the standard we set here at the Rose and I apologies that we did not meet with the standard on this occassion.
If you wish to discuss this further in order to regain your confidence in our pub I would be happy to discuss this with you. My contact number, if you do wish to speak with myself is 01656 784850
Many thanks and sorry again for your experience

Reviewed July 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights on 24 th and 25 th of July. The place was easy to find and we were able to book in at 12 o clock as our room was ready. We had a lovely meal with a starter and main and bottle of wine for around £50. There was a lovely ambience and warm feel to the place. The staff were all young and friendly. We had a good choice for breakfast which was tasty. Our shower on the first day was not working properly but once reported it was sorted out straight away. The carpet in the room was a little tired looking.The only downside was that it was difficult to go to sleep on the second night due to the noise in the bar area which was directly below our room. Nottage is a good place to stay to visit Porthcawl and the surrounding areas.

Room Tip: If there are rooms to the back of the Rose and Crown and not above the bar area it should be a lot quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
llpage, Manager at Rose and Crown Public House, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I am sorry about the noise you encountered, we are strict on our closing time of the pub in order to ensure out residents are not disturbed too late, but I was pleased that you still managed to enjoy your break with us

Reviewed July 24, 2013

this was an excellent place to stay. Good value for money and location. would advise during busy period to book your evening meal as place is also popular with the locals. walking distant to sea front approximately 20 minutes Taxi five minutes. Average wait for taxi 20 minutes .

Room Tip: We stayed in the front room .. thought it would be noisy.. but was okay
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your review, I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in any future visits