“Nice atmosphere good food but the wait!!!”

Rose and Crown Public House
Ranked #5 of 20 Porthcawl B&B and Inns
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Nice atmosphere good food but the wait!!!”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We booked 1.30 and ate at 3.00! On a busy Saturday lunchtime. The food was pretty good we just had one course but by the time it arrived we were starving. The wait was far too long. No hint of an apology or warning that it might take this long.
Which made a nice pub with good food a disappointment. Would we go again, we might risk it but they need to get much quicker.

Room Tip: Make sure you know how long you may wait for your food.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
llpage, Manager at Rose and Crown Public House, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Having read your review I would just like to take this oppurtunity to apologies for your experience on saturday. I dont want to come across as 'making excuses' but just to explain we had some great weather on Saturday (finally) and did unfortunately get slightly caught out as we were extremly busy and therefore slightly understaffed. However, that does not excuse the fact that your were not warned of the wait and received no apology for it. I will look into the reason for this and ensure the staff know this is not acceptable. I do hope we will see you again as this is not our normal service standard and I am confident if you return you will enjoy your experience with us

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Polish first
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Accommodation was excellent, food is amazing, pub was packed in the evening but still got great service, great atmosphere, and breakfast was lovely, very friendly staff would defiantly recommend and will return

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Porthcawl, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

Stopped for lunch with wife and two out of three children limited lunch time menu beer is good but pricy service excellent food portions small but just enough. Good quality steaks every though first time I have seen a 6oz

• Stayed April 2013
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights with my wife on a recent visit to the area.

We have been for dinner previously but this time we decided to stay and have our son and his partner with their 3 children round to dinner. The dinner was very good and our waitress coped extremely well with the children aged 8, 9 and 12 and adjusted our bill accordingly.

Our room was very pleasant and surprisingly quiet given that this is a pub. I must say that the "Welsh" breakfast was quite something with the toast actually served on the main plate.

The only problem you are likely to encounter is that this place is busy at night and if you go out you may not get on the car park when you return. You should find a space not too far away though.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Heswall, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Room small and cosy, the inn was warm and inviting, staff ever so friendly, food superb and very sensibly priced. Lovely old pub, loads of character, generally very satisfied and would stay again. Good atmospheric experience and reasonably priced.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ray E
South Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Just returned from a one night stay at the Rose and Crown.

Firstly the place is an oldy worldly public house in a nice well kept village.The staff were always friendly and we got checked in right away.
There wasnt much mention of what the pub offered in the check in procedure and we even had to ask about breakfast??

We had a few drinks later in the bar where there was a nice atmosphere with a well kept array of beers/real ales etc.

We decided to get a 2 min taxi ride into the town for the early evening and later returned for the night at the Village.

We slept well enough and our room was very clean/tidy although being an old listed building the sound could be a problem for some.

The only let down we felt about the hotel was the breakfast.It certainly wasnt a lot to right home about.(Full Welsh Breakfast??) ive had better breakfasts in Weatherspoons!!

It certainly was a big let down,one limp sausage,toast with my eggs on top? 2 tomatoes and a streak of bacon? no beans? no black pudding? come on guys surely you can do better than that?

Other than that we felt the Rose and Crown did what it says on the tin.

We would definatly return again but next time simply leave off the breakfast(unless they improve it).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ccfceuropesNO1
cardiff
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Perhaps the title I a bit harsh. I was impressed by booking (by email confirmed straight away), friendly attentive staff even. Though it was a busy Friday night and we came in at peak 8pm, food/drink order all taken swiftly......so I suppose I was expecting big things from food. My husband had scallops, lamb and citrus tart he loved it all. I had Italian cheese and pesto ravioli (fab) the steak burger - which was very over cooked and tough. Really not much flavour at all, and sticky toffee pudding which I didn't eat as I couldn't really get my spoon through it. The accompanying butterscotch ice cream was out of this world though! I told the waitress who enquired when collecting plates the reason for untouched pudding which she replied "I'll tell the chef". It did however appear on the bill. I didn't pay for it though, and no fuss was made. Would we come back? Yes. I feel service and atmosphere more than makes up for a couple of average parts of a meal.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank maccas31
Also consider these accommodations in or near Porthcawl
The Brentwood Hotel
#4 of 8 in Bridgend
Foamedge Guesthouse
Foamedge Guesthouse
#3 of 6 in Porthcawl

Been to Rose and Crown Public House? Share your experiences!