“Great Hotel”

The Pierhouse Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Port Appin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 28, 2013

The Pierhouse is a really excellent small hotel, which would to appeal to anyone who seeks a hotel with great staff, a relaxed atmosphere, superb food and in a stunning location. It is off the beaten track without being remote and enjoys wonderful views. We had three nights and two days there and just wanted to unwind and walk. On the first day we climbed two accessible Munros and spent the second day on Lismore exploring the island (a 5 min crossing from outside the hotel, taking bikes from the hotel). For us it was perfect. Combined with the delicious food, relaxed atmosphere and a very comfortable room/bed, it could not have been better. The Pierhouse deserves its recent awards and is justifiably popular. A great experience; thank you.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 26, 2013

The Pierhouse is fast becoming one of our favourite places to stay. Whilst this was only our 2nd visit, we are already planning to go again. The location is fantastic with stunning views. A warm welcome awaits and you are shown up to a lovely, cozy room which also has a great modern bathroom with a fabulous shower. The bar and lounge areas are very relaxing and there are lovely wood burning stoves. The staff are great and very helpful with nothing being too much trouble! Even some great tips on whisky! We indulged in the grand seafood platter which was fantastic. Can't wait to go again!

Room Tip: Our room on both occasions has been at the back of the hotel and equally lovely. Would book a sea v...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Lovely location, friendly staff. Let down by Lobster Thermidor, chewy with overpowering sauce,had to send it back. It was taken off our bill but spoilt our experience and I felt really unwell afterwards. If you know you have made a mistake don't just remove the item from the bill but make a good will gesture, and I guarantee I wouldn't be writing this review.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 17, 2013

WE HAD car trouble and missed a ferry. I telephoned the Pierhouse to advise of our late arrival. Bianca said the small hotel has no night porter and would close at 11 p.m., but said she would alert Geoff, the bartender, to look for us. Later we missed that deadline too. Due to our remote location, all efforts to telephone the hotel failed. At 3 a.m. we finally arrived, fully expecting to sleep in the parking lot and hoping only to claim our room at daylight to shower. But there in the window of the hotel was Geoff's handwritten sign, directing us to our room. The key was in the door. We collapsed into bed, tired and grateful to a hotel that went out of its way to accommodate two weary travelers in distress. Port Appin is a beautiful, out-of-the way location, and the Pierhouse is a great place to experience fine scenery and the best of Scotland's food and hospitality. As a bonus, the bathroom and shower were the best we found on our two-week vacation. It's a wonderful small hotel, well worth a detour off the beaten path.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I was delighted to find that this small hotel that I found on the Internet, was exactly as I imagined It to be. Situated on a beautiful Loch and looking directly out to the Isle of Lismore, this little gem was a wonderful base for three nights. We had booked a downstairs water view room, and just loved the space and the ambience. The tiny bar was great fun, being visited by locals, guests and other tourists, and the food in the restaurant was wonderful. The langoustines were to die for, and the local oysters sublime. Staff were friendly and professional. Breakfast was great, with our only complaint being the lunch we had ordered to take with us on a trip to Staffa and the Treshnish Island. Sandwiches fillings were barely edible, and with no opportunity to purchase food on the very long boat trip, it made for a very hungry day.
This is great place to stay if you are looking for something a little unique .

Room Tip: Choose a sea view, and if possible a ground floor room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
ThePierhouseHotel, Owner at The Pierhouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and that the ambience, food - especially our seafood lived up to expectations. I am however very sorry about the sandwich fillings in your packed lunch not being any good and which really surprises me as usually they are lovely. The point is noted and we will look very carefully at this. Thank you very much for your review and please come again! Kind regards Nick

Reviewed September 8, 2013

You won't find the Pierhouse unless you know it's there and I recommend you hunt it down. It's well worth the detour off the A828.

The hotel is old and charming. This means creaky floor boards, low ceilings, thick stone walls and lots of atmosphere. The bar area is small and was heaving with tourists and locals enjoying a casual Friday night meal when we arrived. There is an outdoor terrace which we enjoyed with a drink, watching the local passenger / bike ferry ply between the mainland and Lismore Island.

When we originally booked our room we were emailed a tentative reservation for dinner. We hadn't considered where we would dine that night but knew that the hotel had an excellent reputation for seafood. So we accepted the hotel's reservation. If you don't dine in the hotel you'll be searching the small village for an alternative (another hotel perhaps?) or going hungry. It's not a large town.

Anyway we were not disappointed. The food was brilliant. Not cheap but it's very good quality (mostly) seafood, very well prepared. Breakfast the next day was equally spectacular with homemade haggis, black pudding, sausages and jam (just so you know, I'm itemising the homemade elements, not suggesting that I ate the haggis with jam; it didn't need jam).

A peaceful, out of the way, very scenic hideaway, we have recommended it to all friends as a romantic destination for a great weekend escape - or to add to your Scotland itinerary.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room #1, a 'rear view' room of the rock garden. Well, there isn't much of a...
1  Thank Ozzielass

Thank you for your very nice review and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and thought the food was brilliant! This is always very good to hear and keeps the chefs and everyone very happy! Please come again! Kind regards Nick

Reviewed September 5, 2013

The good things about The Pierhouse - Beautiful views, above average rooms. We were on a seafood odyssey of the West coast of Scotland and expected the Pierhouse to excel......sorry it didn't! The first evening we had the lobster thermidor....this is the first time I have physically remove the lobster from my mouth because it was so chewy. I don't know what the chef did with it but hafl of it was inedible.....overcooked, broiled in its own juices , it was the worst lobster I have ever had. The waitress was informed and I expected some sort of apology or cost reduction. The oysters were no better, full of splinters and shell. The oyster with the breadcrumb and cheese was practically inedible a gluey mess with again splinters. This is bit of a split charachter venue a Pub/Restaurant with rooms. A lot of the places were taken by people coming for a drink thus taking up tables for the residents outside. This is a good place spoilt by below standard expensive food. The owners only were seen and heard on our last day. The high pitched "Sybill" condescending voice from Fawty Towers echoed around the breakfast tables.....she didn't visit our table as we had commented on other items (cheap breakfast toast......at £160 a night....come on!!!

2  Thank NorGib

We always appreciate feed back whether good or bad although your personal remarks about my wife are both untrue and 'below the belt'. I am very sorry to hear you did not enjoy either your lobster or the oysters Kilpatrick although I understand you ate the contents of your plate apart from a few vegetables, hence the reason they were not taken off your bill. As the owner I am never far away and although you might not see me all the time it does not mean I am not there. My wife frequently works in the restaurant although we have full confidence in our very experienced team of staff who have been here for many years and do a fantastic job whether one of us is in the restaurant or not. To refer to my wife's voice as condescending is simply not true and I guarantee you that if she was aware you had had a problem with something she would have come and seen you straight away to discuss it. It is a shame you chose not to mention your issue with the bread to her and instead be rude about her on Tripadvisor. Yours sincerely Nicholas Horne

Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Appin
7 mi away
Falls Of Lora
Falls Of Lora
#1 of 2 in Connel

Been to The Pierhouse Hotel? Share your experiences!