This was our first visit to Scotland, we flew to Glasgow airport and drove through the most beautiful scenery. Eventually we reached a long and winding single track road which seemed to go on for ever till at last we turned a corner and saw the pretty little building that is the Pier House, at the end of the road beside the loch. The setting is really beautiful with spectacular views over the loch to the Isle of Lismore and the mountains beyond.
We were warmly welcomed by Caroline and shown where to find things and how things work. She also gave us lots of useful tips about places to visit.
Never having been to Scotland before we had wondered whether we should bring hot water bottles with us. We needn't have worried as the hotel was cosy and warm. The bed was the most comfortable ever, absolute bliss with a big fluffy duvet and wonderful pillows, peace and quiet and the sound of the gentle lap of waves from outside the window. Our room had a loch view and a sitting area so plenty of space.
There was fruit in the room and in the residents' lounge and fresh milk available for making hot drinks, both much appreciated.
The Arran toiletries smelt gorgeous and all was spotlessly clean and well cared for.
From the restaurant we watched the little ferry boat come and go and the scene change as the light and weather moved over the loch from rain to sun and shimmering water. On the wall there are paintings by a local artist.
We stayed in May when the days were really long and late in the evening enjoyed a colourful sunset from the bar tables outside.
The food was all very good, from breakfast to the excellent sea food at dinner as well as the bar meals.
The local smoked salmon went well with the breakfast scrambled eggs but I found it over powering with the mussels at lunch time.
We did some walks from the hotel and took the ferry to Lismore as well as going further afield.
Nick and Nicki have a great team working there from Bianca who took our booking, Geoff the friendly barman/ornitholigist/geologist, John, Romi, Lorraine and more who all made our stay so special.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With breathtaking views to the islands of Lismore and Mull, our intimate twelve bedroom hotel, bar and renowned seafood restaurant has won a fast-growing reputation as one of Argyll's most idyllic and romantic destinations. We pride ourselves on the freshness & quality of our seafood and local meats, sourcing most of our food locally. We strive to offer our guests something different - a personal and relaxed family atmosphere, stunning location and deliciously fresh food. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, LateRooms, Priceline and Travelocity so you can book your The Pierhouse Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Pierhouse Hotel Seafood
- The Pierhouse Hotel Port Appin, Scotland