“Nice people, not a great experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Hostal Plaza Mayor

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Santa Fe de Antioquia
Hostal Plaza Mayor
Medellin, Colombia
“Nice people, not a great experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

I called to make a reservation a week in advance, and was helped very graciously over the phone to reserve a room for one with a private bathroom. When I arrived, mid-morning, I was told that I should return in a bit. Apparently the president was coming and the police were going to be staying in the hostel, so they were going to arrange for me to stay in a finca a few blocks away. Not a huge deal, if you ask me... a little inconvenient since I chose the place for the location, but whatever.
They put my bag in a room, invited me to relax there while someone got the keys, and gave me some juice. I took a walk around the city for about an hour, then returned to see if they were ready to take me to the finca... "claro, ahorita." Turns out that meant after they had lunch. Went out for another walk, had lunch, came back. Waited some more. Finally they took me in a moto to the finca, which was not "a couple blocks away," but more like 6, including a large hill and a dirt road. It looked a little bit abandoned, but was clean enough, and I ended up with a huge room with 3 beds, a private bathroom, and a fan. I got keys to the padlocked bamboo gate and my room and a reminder that dinner was included in the price. I did not get a towel (in fact, though I asked, I never received one... luckily it was hot enough to drip dry after a cold shower), wifi (another reason I had chosen the place), or a mosquito net (I did, however, get 40 mosquito bites on my legs). The food was great, and the girls they have working there are very nice and friendly. Overall, everyone was very nice and kind, but if you are looking for top-notch immediate service, I might try someplace else. They did their best under the circumstances to make me feel at home, but it was not the best experience I have had in a hostel.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo