“Quality with convenience!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hellnar
Washington, DC
“Quality with convenience!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

Hotel Hellnar provides quality food and lodging with convenient access to Arnarstapi and Snæfellsjökull.

Our ocean-view (slightly obstructed; see pic) room was comfortable and adequately-sized for 2 adults. We found the window shade did a great job at stifling the majority of the summertime midnight sun. The bathroom was modern, clean, and included bonuses such as a hairdryer and heated tile floors.

The common area of the hotel had plenty of seating with books and information about the surrounding area and Iceland. The restaurant prepared fresh food that might be tasty, but overachieves in replacing the calories you burned during your day of hiking and exploration (read: lots o' butter; Paula Dean would be proud).

Although there isn't much competition in the area, Hotel Hellnar still delivers quality and service as if there were.

Room Tip: Although it's a partially-obstructed view, we thought the ocean-view rooms were worth it!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Don N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

Our trip to the elegant, modern and casual restaurant was made quite special by the headwaiter.

We enjoyed our first course of the fish soup, but the day's special of local mussels cooked in beer had a strange and off-putting smell to us. We ate our two portions anyway and found that the mussels tasted OK. Sadly, the smell really interfered with our enjoyment of the meal.

when the headwaiter learned that we were somewhat disappointed, he came over to our table, apologized, and offered us two amazing desserts on the house. His kindness and generosity meant a great deal to us.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

This hotel had a beautiful location—we walked and explored extensively, (and there is a wonderful little café nearby, the Fjoruhusid Cafe, which we would make a special trip to come to again) but the hotel itself was not our favorite by any means. The room was rather small, although it was clean and comfortable enough for just a one-night stay. We found it extremely annoying that there was a significant additional charge for using WiFi. This hotel was not inexpensive, and charging for this service seemed rather greedy to us. We just found nothing warm or inviting about this hotel, which was truly an exception during our stay in Iceland. We will not choose this hotel again on subsequent trips and feel there is a much nicer hotel option close by (where we stayed the next night and where WiFi was provided at no additional charge).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

I hope that Tripadvisor will allow me to write a follow up review when my stay is over but I wanted to post this ASAP to counter the reviews that have not been 4-5 star......and address the WiFi issue And a few of the less than wonderful reviews of the staff.
First of all, there IS free WiFi and one can get it in one's room.
Second, the staff is are all wonderful, friendly and welcoming . I travel overseas often and this has got to be one of the warmest hotels I have stayed in in the past decade or so.
In case Im unable to post a review after my stay....
This is my 4th visit to Iceland..... Why I did not come out here before ? Crazy.....
I M finishing up. 3 wk vacation, visiting with friends and family... And now I have the luxury of being all alone for 3 days......
I could not have picked a more perfect place.
My room ( # 23) looks out over the water and the views are amazing. The room is clean, the bathroom certainly big enough unless one is having a party. The dining area is lovely with a wall of windows giving one views that take my breath away.
The food was excellent both in taste and presentation. And the servings are quite large. The service was good, the staff all very friendly and welcoming.
I have to say, this is one of the most delightful places I have ever stayed in a very very long time.
Hopefully I will feel the same at the end of my stay..... BUT I am sure I will.
I would definitely stay here again if I return to this area of Iceland.
Thank you Hotel Hellnar !

Room Tip: Definitely get one looking over the water!!!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank sorrisa
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

We left Reykjavik for 2 days and decided to book a night at the Hellnar hotel. It was a good choice. Located at the base of the Snaefellsjökull it had an excellent view of the glacier as well as the sea. The hotel is decorated in a blend of traditional and modern Scandinavian style. Friendly and accomodating staff, clean rooms and adequate bathrooms. We tried the lunch of the day and it was a lovely fish soup. The breakfast could definately be improved but covered the basic needs. However the hotel did charge for wi-fi which I think as a hotel guest you should be able to get for free.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Kharro
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

Had booked a mountain view room which did have a view of the mountain but also a view of the car park and some sort of workshop area, so asked to be moved to an ocean view room for an extra €20 a night, which was worth it.  The location of the hotel is fabulous, perched on a hillside with 180 degree views of the North Atlantic.   The hotel really is all about the view so it would have been a shame to not also enjoy it from the room.

Rooms were modern but spartan – two single beds, two IKEA side tables, a small dresser, a flat screen TV on the wall and that was it.  It was tight on space with no closet space whatsoever.  There seem to be two wings to the hotel and I’m guessing we were in the newer one.  The photos on the website show the rooms in a very flattering light and in reality the photos bore little resemblance to the room we stayed in.  The bathroom photos in particular were nothing like the bathroom in our room.   The bathroom was tiny (about 5ft x 5ft) with a shower that flooded the floor with each use, which was annoying.    There were no toiletries other than a tube of shower gel and a bottle of industrial hand soap.

I felt there was a lack of attention to detail – e.g. only two thin towels provided, the flooding shower was something that could have been fixed and there was a light bulb blown in the bathroom making it dark.  Also the soap dispenser in the shower had come off the wall.

We ate at the restaurant on both of the evenings we were there.  We had no other choice at it was the only restaurant in the vicinity so they have a captive audience.  There is a visitor center with a café a short walk away but the café was closed in the last week of August.  Not sure if it was closed for the season or for some other reason.   The restaurant is nice, bright and modern with beautiful views over the sea.  As nearly every other poster has commented it was quite expensive.  For just two main courses and a bottle of the cheapest wine it came to $110 / €88. If you wanted to a three-course dinner with better wine it would easily come to $200 / €160 for two people.  Relative to Iceland prices in general that is not outrageous, and the food was pretty good so we didn’t feel too hard done by.   Breakfast was included in the room rate and it was top-notch with a great selection of muesli, cereals, meat, cheese, fruit, yoghurt and so on.

Overall I enjoyed our stay here and I do recommend the hotel, but I felt it could be improved with a few more upmarket touches and a bit more attention to detail.

I highly recommend the Snaefellsnes area – really beautiful, wild and windswept and exactly the evocative landscape that I hoped to see in Iceland. There aren’t many options of places to stay in the area and Hotel Hellnar seems as good as any.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Wayne K
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

I have held back from writing a review for quite some time on this hotel, because I wanted to be reflective and give it a decent review, but I cannot justify that, read on.
Wow, so you have this wonderfully unique, beautiful location, combined with a chic "Eco-Friendly" style hotel in the Scandanavian ergonomic style, featuring breathtaking ocean views, at the tip of a storied and historic penninsula and somehow you mess it up. Why? How?

Well first lets talk about the good. As stated, a beautiful clean, modern, Scandanavian style hotel with tasteful and modern common areas, lobby and bar. Beautiful views all around, in an outlying area, which has probably taken you some time and effort to get to. So you are looking forward to a great relaxing comfortable stay, with some good food, after your travel. Our rooms were not overly large, but they did give us ocean view rooms when in fact we had only booked mountain rooms. Nice touch, and appreciated. Beds were good, not large though, as is common in Icleand. Washing facilities were adequate, overall a good room, but a little pricey, put that down to location, location, location, and that it is pretty much the only place around. So, overall I'll give the 8 out of 10 here. But there are negatives too.

Now the negative, I mentioned the price, but all of Iceland is expensive, perhaps just a little gouging here. But the gouging continues $30 US for Wireless Internet!! Which only works in the Lobby and the Restaurant, to me that is excessive and gouging and inconvenient when you can't use it in your room. The food is very good, but again very expensive. Breakfast was excellent and was included. The bar, well stocked and a lovely setting, but again very very expensive.

Staff, hmmmmmm, nice that they gave us the room upgrade, but a bit stuffy and privileged, who needs attitude when you are on holiday in an exciting country and unique location?

Too bad, this could be a great place, but they messed it up with unnecessary overpricing for add ons and food, liquor, and the staff we dealt with was snooty. So no 5 Stars, and no 4 Stars.
Perhaps Hotel Hellnar needs to look at what they are doing to their customers, or maybe they just feel they can do whatever they want because of where they are, and with little other alternative accomodations nearby. Not a bad choice by any means, but, beware of the price issues here.

Room Tip: Ocean view recommended
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Bleuemoon2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hellnar
Hotel Budir
#1 of 4 in Snaefellsbaer
The Freezer Hostel
The Freezer Hostel
#1 of 4 in Snaefellsbaer

Been to Fosshotel Hellnar? Share your experiences!