“Great food, great service, great reception”

Kilt Ristorante Pizzeria
Ranked #1 of 11 Restaurants in Claviere
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Originally, in the middle of 800 centuries, the building was used as a stable for the changing over of horses for the Postal Service which went all the way from Turin to Briançon. On the main column there is a stone sculpture inscribed upon which is the year of construction of the building dating back to 1854, along with the name of the family who once lived there. During the Second World War, a regiment of the Scottish Army passed through and sought refuge in the stable. Probably the name Kilt came as a sign of friendship and remembrance of the Scottish visit. The building has since been used as a club and, after restoration in 1986 by the present owners as a restaurant, the name Kilt was kept. The bar top, the doors and all the wood in the building came from a wooden chalet in the town of Bardonecchia in the early 1900s and contributed to the preservation of the buildings appearance as an old mountain chalet.
Lewes, United Kingdom
“Great food, great service, great reception”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I visited Kilt with a number of my friends having skied into Claviere. A friend and I arrived in advance of 12 others in our party. We had a lovely reception from Roberto and his team and were made to feel very welcome. We invited Roberto to sit with us, which he found time to do. It was lovely talking to him and receiving his hospitality. The food was excellent and exactly what we needed to refuel for more skiing. Kilt was excellent value and I would recommend it to anyone

• Visited January 2013

Swansea, United Kingdom
“Very Disappointing Evening”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We booked the Kilt for our Christmas Eve dinner having eaten here a couple of time over recent years. As we enjoyed it so much in previous years, we thought it would be a great place to celebrate Christmas....NOT!!! As soon as we walked in, we thought something was wrong - only two other tables were occupied with five diners. From past experience Christmas Eve is a big night in France & Italy so we were surprised it was so quiet. The staff were friendly enough and gave a warm welcome. The menu was limited, the children struggled to find something they liked, as did some adults. For starter we ordered the antipasti which was average after that it went downhill rapidly! The majority of us ordered the steak, which turned out to be the worst piece of meat I have ever had - it was a thin, flattened piece of meat which was very pale...so much so I even wondered it it was beef! The peppercorn sauce was white and was curdled with no taste resembling peppercorns. The potatoes were ok. The 'steak' was such a bad cut, we did raise our concerns to the owner who tried to explain, but to be frank what ever cut it was, there was no flavour and how anyone could cook a steak so badly is beyond me!!! We didn't even ask to see the dessert menu and asked for the bill, which was astonishing for what we had...the owner's apology came in the form of limoncello's for all and a dessert for me which I had eyed up on arriving, which in fairness was actually quite nice! We had so looked forward to returning to the Kilt and were very dissappointed by how much it had gone down hill. It is a lovely restuarant but it lacked atmosphere and customers! We will not be returning to the Kilt the next time we visit needless to say!

• Visited December 2012
Leicester
“Will not return”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Visited the Kilt on Christmas Eve, we had eaten there several years ago and had a lovely meal and great atmosphere, so thought we would return for a Christmas Eve dinner, food was lacking in both quantity and quality, steaks as tough as old boots, sauce was off and tasteless and at €21 I expected it to be eddible, pork dish served tepid, obviously not long enough in the microwave. Atmopshere non existant! Owner said he was sorry and offered a lemonciello, ruined christmas eve for 8 of us.

• Visited December 2012
Paris, France
“Fantastic place with Amazing people”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

I found this cute restaurant with my mum during this summer after a walk in Claviere's mountains.
The food was so good that I decided to bring my Friends and it became like "the place to be" other there as you're receive like a king and people take really goog care of you. The boss has many funny stories about the area and advises too :-)
Just GREAT!!! Thank you to the team and see you soon during winter!!!

• Visited August 2012
Dorset
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The Kilt-We will be back”
Reviewed September 1, 2012

After driving from Les 2 alpes and my husband cycling from there we were pleasantly surprised. The Owners and the staff were fantastic and the food was lovely especially the kids special pizzas. I think some of the restaurant owners in Les 2 Alpes should take lessons.

• Visited August 2012