“Beautiful hotel, Excellent location, didn't want to leave!”

Resort Cala di Falco
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Cannigione
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Beautiful hotel, Excellent location, didn't want to leave!”
Reviewed May 28, 2009

Beautiful hotel and an excellent location.

When me, my boyfriend and my dad arrived we were a little worried as the hotel did not seem ready for business. We stayed the second week in May and arrived the first day the hotel opened for the season. We had been told by Delphinia the week before we flew that the hotel was not going to open, but thankfully this was rectified just in time and we were able to stay at our chosen hotel.We were checked in at 1pm, instead of the usual 5pm due to an early flight. The pool wasn't open and the place was deserted, We were initially a little worried.

Me, my boyfriend and my dad shared a 2 bed apartment, which was lovely. We were just away from the smaller pool, and after having a look around were sure we were in the best apartment in the complex. The grounds looked in need of some maintenance, but gardeners were busy the whole time we were there getting the place ready, by the second day we had new plants along our path.

The pool opened on day two and was gorgeous (only very cold), but we were still in and around it most days. Unfortunately the restaurant didn't open before we left, and we therefore didn't get to see the pool area lit up at night. But we all agreed it was THE most beautiful place we'd ever stayed. From the pool area you looked straight onto the sea, and across to Baia Sardinia on the other side of the bay, you could see the small but charming beach across a quiet coast road.

The hotel was within easy walking distance (5min stroll) to the centre of Cannigione village. Which has a rustic charm like no where I've ever been. Again, it was obvious that we were very early in the season, the harbour wasn't fully open as it was being block paved, and some nights we were the only ones in the restaurants.

The food was delicious, and I'm sure the place only improves in peak season. Although, if it was too busy it may lose some of it's charm. We hired a car and in 1 week comfortably visited most of the main sites, Porto Cervo(overrated!), Baia Sardinia(best beach we saw), Maddalena(well worth a visit, more set up for tourists), Bonifacio-Corsica(only 1 hour ferry, really amazing place) were our favourites. It was less than an hours drive from Olbia airport to the hotel.

Our apartment was on ground floor and we had the most amazing view, we could have stayed forever. The hotel staff were great and spoke good English and were very patient with our feeble attempt at Italian. We had problems with our hire car, and the woman at reception rang the company for us and sorted things out.

To sum up- we really fell in love with the place and would love to go back and stay in the same room. We went a little early in the season, but this was reflected in the price and would not deter us from going so early in the future. Not sure if it is worth the high season price, but that seems to be the same all over Sardinia. Highly recommended, cannot understand the bad reviews, it is a rustic Italian village, so providing you're not expecting English bars and US style hotels, then this place is perfect.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Sarah_Loves_Trips

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Berkshire
Reviewed May 7, 2009

Was very apprehensive about going abroad with a one year old, but it turned out to be a lovely holiday.

There were lots of other small children in the hotel, with highchairs provided in the restaurant, so didn't feel uncomfortable when our toddler made a noise/mess.

The rooms are very spacious. Ours had a separate seating area and plenty of room for a travel cot which the hotel provided. The rooms had two air-conditioning units which meant that we could switch the one in bedroom area off over night so that it wasn't too cold/noisy.

There is a baby room with nappy-changing facilities, cots, highchairs, microwave, fridge full of food (pasta, sauces, yoghurts etc) and milk which you could help yourself to. Unfortunately, they don't tell you about this, so we only discovered it by accident on our last day!! It would have saved us a lot of walking to the supermarket to pick up milk and yoghurts for our little one!

Dinner is not served in the evening until 7pm, which was a little late for our little one, so he often got a bit ratty as was tired. The food was excellent. The buffets were a lot better than the al a carte though, and breakfast was especially good. Wine was very reasonably priced, and if you didn't manage to finish the bottle they saved it for you for the following day.

Pool was great. Always plenty of sunbeds, although the best positioned ones for the sun and pool-side went fairly early in the day.

All the staff were friendly and courteous and the place was spotlessly clean.

Not an awful lot to do in the local area. We got the local bus to Porto Cervo, but thought it was over-rated and a nightmare for buggies as it was steps everywhere. Also very expensive. We were happy to stay by the pool or wander over to the beach.

The airport is very clean and modern.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
London nee Sydney
Reviewed October 27, 2008

DO NOT STAY HERE! My boyfriend and I went to Sardinia in September and while the island itself is lovely, the Cala Di Falco Club Hotel is terrible! I booked through lastminute.com and all the photos they showed looked fine. It does not look like the photos. And it is not 4 star. I would give it 1 star. When we arrived at the hotel I was so disappointed I nearly cried! The room the originally checked us into did not even have a window, it was a dog box on the ground floor. You had to keep the door open to let any air in and it looked right out onto the carpark. nice. We asked them to move us and they did to the second floor and we actually had a window and balcony overlooking pool, so it was a little better. But the pools and decor are really ugly. Lots of orange...I would say the place has not been touched since 1970. Not only is it really old, but they take no pride in the grounds or anything. Lawn hadnt been mowed, weeds everywhere, overgrown and unkept. Sardinia has a natural beauty and is not particularly sopisticated, but its very charming. If I were to visit again I would stay in Porto Cervo, as the hotels there are a lot newer. Also Esmeraldo Beach is nice, we had a friend who was staying there and went and visited her at her hotel and it was quite nice and there is a lovely little beach there. The beach in Cannigione is non-existent = its just a tiny bay and not veryt attractive. Hope this review helps. I am not a 5 star hotel snob but I do have certain standards and this place is totally misleading and does not come up to scratch. I was very surprised to find out the Cala di Falco is a Delfina property as they are usually lovely. I am staying in the Sheraton Delfine Hotel in Santa Monica at the moment as I write this review, and it is totally lovely and impeccable. I guess the US / Australian standards of hotels do not apply in a lot of provincial Europe...Rebecca (London, nee Sydney)

• Liked — They have good complimentary canapes at the bar at happy hour - seriously this is the only good thing about the place!
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Rebecca44
Manchester
Reviewed September 22, 2008

Stayed here in Sept for 2 weeks with my wife and a 1 year old. We had an OK time but there are certainly some negatives and positives which i set out below, but generally the travel books are right september (and anytime not in peak season) the hotel and towns and resorts have a very "closing down" feel to them. The difference in quality of entertainment and atmosphere between the first week of sept and second was amazing and also a bit depressing. This is the same in the resorts around here also. Do not go here in closed season unless you like already quiet resorts even quieter:

Positives

- clean and friendly
- good food (although clearly you have to like italian and our 1 year old got a tad fed up with pasta and tomato sauce each night which was the kids choice each night)
- the baby room which is great - milk changing facilities food etc etc - they do not tell you about this and you have to discover it
- pool is nice as is the green area in front of the hotel
- baby dance (but only saw 3 nights of this because clearly closes in september as season ends!)
- Baia Sardinia beach
- the whole area is not built up at all
- quite a lot of young kids so ok if child gets bored/ noisy in restaurant

Negatives

- not easy with toddler with buggy in hotel - steps everywhere - we had to move room as ground floor junior suite had a drop of 3 feet to the next level.
- Cannigone - no cafe culture bit like a very small working town, not pleasant no place to sit really and people watch.
- choice of restaurants - bascially most of the restaurants around this region have the same menu except some also do pizzas!
- you definately need a car and most of the places you go to do not have the italian feel that we expected but that may have something to do with the season
- quite a lot of young kids in restaurant so if I had gone just with my wife it would have done our heads in!

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
6 Thank Manchestermember
london
Reviewed September 8, 2008

Accommodation
We stayed in the part closest to the main reception building (not Rotonda). The accommodation is terraced 1 or 2 floor buildings, the setting is quite pretty (with flowers in front of the buildings). The rooms themselves are comfortable and spacious, but nothing luxurious. As mentioned before on this website there are some noise problems: you can hear the plumming from adjoining rooms and also noise from the room above, but I wouldn’t say the noise is v bad (i.e. I heard it but didn’t prevent me from falling asleep)

Dinner
- Alternates between buffet and a la carte menu – quite nice to have waiter service every other day
- dinner service can be a bit slow
- dinner menu isn’t always accurate – for instance vegetarian lasagna was described as “puff pastry with vegetables….”; or menu would say “meat skewers” without mentioning if it’s beef or pork, etc (they do eat lots of pork in sardinia, so if don’t eat pork make sure to tell them)
To be aware of: on the first day you get allocated a dinner table that you will have for the rest of your stay. If you don’t like it you can change it on the first day only (not afterwards).

Swimming pool
As previously mentioned on this website sunbeds get taken quite quicky in the morning (so it’s advisable to go to the swimming pool before 10:30). They have a v nice grass area next to the swimming pool but no sunbeds there, in my opinion they should add sunbeds/umbrellas there as well.

Generally good, main reception staff were quite helpful (some gave good recommendations on which beaches to go to) and spoke good English. When we arrived the sink in our room was blocked and a bulb was not working – we complained to the main reception and it got fixed the follwing day.

Beaches
The cannigione beach is 1 min from the hotel, however it’s not a particularly pretty beach (and the main road is right next to the beach). We tried the Barca Braciatta beach nearby (10-15 mins drive towards Palau), which I liked as it wasn’t too crowded in August.

Other
Children facilities – v good
Make sure to rent a car in advance if you are going in summer! I left the car rental for too late (1 week before arriving) and the Avis car-rental in cannigione did not have any cars available, so had to go to Porto Cervo to get a car. If you rent a car from the airport there is more availability and choice there.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank bananana
henley on thames
Reviewed September 6, 2008

We had a fantastic time at this wonderful family orientated hotel. We read lots of trip advisor reports before booking and have to say that I disagree with virtually all the negative comments. The accomodation is bright, spacious and clean - the whole hotel was renovated a couple of years ago. The main pool is very spacious and has PLENTY of sunbeds available - enough for everyone, even though we went in high season. A few people commented on the uneven paving around the pool - this is correct but it seems to be typically Sardinian paving and adds to the charm of the place. The food is wonderful - the buffets are high quality and plentiful. The cuisine seems to be authentically Sardinian, which we felt was a mixture of Italian and Spanish food. The fish/seafood at the hotel is excellent. The evening entertainment is great fun. They have a dance for children every evening which my 13 and 9 year old really enjoyed, although I would say it's aimed at children ranging from 2-10. There was a pianist in the piano bar every evening plus another form of entertainment most evenings after the childrens dancing, which was staged either in the amphi-theatre or raised section by theswimming pool. Some evenings they had musicians around the pool which was lovely as the pool area was always lit by candles all the way around - very atmospheric. The local beach isn't a typically beautiful Sardinian beach but it's only over the road from the hotel which is convenient. My 16 and 13 year old boys had great fun though, joining the locals in jumping and diving off the jetty. The nicest beaches we found were at Baia Sardinina (we also fell in love with this pretty resort) and on the various Madelena Islands - this trip is a must. Go on one of the larger boats (around 100 people) which is much more reasonable. It tours around/stops at most of the islands and was 35 euros a head including lunch! Reception Staff are particularly helpful with excellent English. The staff which run the childrens clubs during the day are all students and are lovely, although their English was limited.

One word of warning,, if you are going in high season DO NOT book a Europcar car to collect from Olbia airport. We spent over 2 hours waiting for our keys - it was bedlam.

All in all, a fab hotel with a lovely Italian atmosphere - wonderful holiday. If you're going without kids in high season, you need to be aware that the hotel does cater for lots of families, but there were plenty of people there without children too.

Stayed August 2008
Bristol
Reviewed August 20, 2008

My husand and I returned from our holiday yesterday. We stayed for 5 nights and 4 days, and we thoroughly enjoyed it.
The Hotel was clean and tidy, they were cleaned everyday, and if you did get up late (too much to drink the night before!), the maids would come back later. The rooms were air conditioned thankfully because it was 30 degrees plus. And for you ladies out there, the hairdryer actually blew out hot air so I did not need to take mine! The port and town was just a short walk away providing plenty of shops, cafe's and places to eat. The locals are pleasant especially at the hotel. I was quite suprised that it was not as overcrowded with kids as I was led to believe, we were able to get a lilo by the pool everyday!
The only thing that l would say to be wary of would be the taxi's, we had ordered a taxi from reception to take us to the restaurant up the hill (La Corrona I believe), but when the taxi arrived we spent the first 15 minutes being driven around our resort because the driver did not know where she was going, in the end my friend had to talk to the control centre and spoke with American who finally directed her, it took 6 mins to get to the restaurant but still charged us 40 GBP, we had been charged for going around our own resort for 15 minutes, there was no reasoning with her after we offered only to pay for the time spent in the taxi, she said she would call the police so had to swallow it. I would in future ask the driver if they knew where they going and the cost before I jump into a taxi. Apart from this we did like the hotel and the area, and would recommend for a peaceful and relaxing holiday, I did not see any nightclubs.

• Liked — Basic but comfortable and clean
  • Disliked — noting
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cannigione
Airone Hotel
#3 of 21 in Porto Cervo
L'ea Bianca Luxury Resort
L'ea Bianca Luxury Resort
#2 of 23 in Baia Sardinia

Been to Resort Cala di Falco? Share your experiences!