We spent three days half board in Cala di Falco hotel from 7th to 10th August followed by a week in self-catering in Villa Orchidea. We really enjoyed the hotel and found the staff to be friendly, helpful and most with good English. The food was of a good standard and the buffet was sufficiently varied that my vegetarian wife and my kids (11 and 14) all managed to find food to their tastes. The pool was excellent with sufficient sunbeds and a mixture of sun and shade to accommodate us every time we visited over the 10 days.
We preferred the self-catering Villa Orchidea to the hotel. The villa (and hotel) is right on the edge of Cannigione with easy access to a wide choice of restaurants nearby. When looking at the price of food in the hotel compared with local restaurants we felt there was better value elsewhere and the kitchenette gave us the opportunity to rustle up some pasta dishes that we could eat on the balcony.
And it's the balcony that made this villa worth the money. The view from Orchidea's balcony ranges from the Maddelana Islands on the left, with views of the hills and mountains down the gulf, with Cannigione and the masts of the boats in the harbour and the backdrop of more mountains. In the morning we could watch the sun rise over the hills on the other side of the gulf, followed by the procession of pleasure boats leaving Cannigione to explore Sardinia for the day while enjoying a few coffees and Sardinian pastries. After returning in the late afternoon / early evening we could watch the sky change colour and the creeping of shadows over the hills, admire the boats returning to Cannigione at different speeds for the evening while enjoying a Peroni and a salty snack or two. The dramatic and constantly changing view enjoyed in the warmth of the shaded balcony with family and unhealthy food made my holiday.
It's not cheap to stay in this area as it has not adopted the route of high rise hotels but kept its buildings sympathetic to Sardinian architecture. Although Cannigione had pretty much everything you would want in terms of restaurants, supermarkets, an evening market of local crafts, a bank, post office and car rental, ice cream parlours etc it remains a primarily unspoilt location. Inevitably this restriction of the number of visitors puts the price up. I went there wondering whether we would get value for money and for the combination of views, access to a nice Sardinian town, a swimming pool and self-catering, I felt my money was well spent.
The negatives were the slightly expensive hotel meals and drinks, and the huge buffet could have accommodated vegetarians better although as mentioned there was food that vegetarians could eat. I can't see why any hotel needs to charge for wi-fi and 5 euros per hour felt like blatant profiteering, especially as a couple of bars/cafes in Cannigionne gave you free access. Decent TVs with Sky and an option to watch in English for some American Kids TV channels was appreciated by the kids though a complimentary DVD player could easily have been included when you are paying over £400 per night just for the accommodation. But these were minor issues in the great scheme of things.
In summary, some things in life are worth paying a little extra for and if you want a great view, a pool, in walking distance for amenities, a stay in a place with a mainly unspoilt landscape and access to a range of great beaches, Villa Orchidea is a great choice.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Resort Cala di Falco is a 4 star resort at Cannigione, near the Costa Smeralda in the North of Sardinia. A strategic location, just a few steps from the beach at Cannigione and an excellent starting point for visiting the most famous destinations of the North of Sardinia and the Costa Smeralda, or for reaching the La Maddalena Archipelago with its uninhabited islands surrounded by brilliant crystal-clear water. The Resort Cala di Falco faces a stretch of coastline that is full of little bays and beaches of fine white sand such as the one at Mannena, which can be reached using the shuttle bus service directly from the resort. Part of the Delphina Hotels & Resorts group, the Resort Cala di Falco also offers the option of choosing between 3 different styles of beachfront holiday in the North of Sardinia: the hotel formula (Il Borgo), the Residence La Rotonda, or the prestigious Villas dedicated to those who love luxury and privacy. These solutions have been created for holidays in Sardinia aimed at families with children, groups of friends and couples. Waiting for you at the Resort Cala di Falco for a relaxing holiday, surrounded by well-tended Mediterranean gardens, elegant little squares and hand-sculpted stonework, all just a stone’s throw from the lively atmosphere of the charming little town of Cannigione where you can enjoy a walk along the seafront between delightful crafts shops that are open all year round. The Resort Cala di Falco can easily be reached in about 30 minutes from the ferry terminal at Olbia and the international Olbia-Costa Smeralda airport. Resort Cala di Falco – Three solutions for your summer holiday in the North of Sardinia. The 4 star superior hotel Il Borgo is close to the main services and facilities of the Resort Cala di Falco and is set around a large swimming pool provided with umbrellas, sun loungers and with lifeguard service. Two restaurants offer delicious Mediterranean and traditional Sardinian dishes reinterpreted by award-winning chefs while there are lots of free time activities for young and old alike. The Residence La Rotonda, set around its own pool, is the ideal solution for those wanting to spend a holiday in comfort but with a little extra privacy. The town of Cannigione is a well-placed destination from which to reach Porto Cervo and the Costa Smeralda in just a few minutes or to go in search of the most beautiful beaches in the North of Sardinia. At the Resort Cala di Falco there is the option of spending a holiday in one of the 13 luxury Villas that are nearby but still part of the resort, and some of which have a sea view. This is a really comfortable and exclusive solution that guarantees you the maximum in freedom plus the convenience of using all the hotel’s services plus the Baby and Mini Clubs (some services may be charged for). Breakfast, Mediterranean Brunch and dinner in the resort’s restaurants can all be booked directly in the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Resort Cala di Falco reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Resort Cala Di Falco Hotel Cannigione
- Cala Di Falco Hotel
- Hotel Cala Di Falco
- Resort Cala Di Falco Sardinia/Cannigione