“Raccoon Lodge”

Raccoon Lodge Motel
Raccoon Lodge Motel
Ranked #2 of 2 Sylvan Lake B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 19, 2010

Great Location, Friendly Staff, carpet is kind of grubby, we kept our shoes on, it was great for the September Long weekend with ten year old twins and a 12 year old. It was nice to have a kitchennette. I checked the beds before using them and didn't see any issues.

I wouldn't pick this for a romantic getaway, but for a weekend trip to the beach with the kids, it was fine.

Handy for running back and forth so that we didnt have to use the bath and change rooms at the beach.

5  Thank CanadianWomanAbroad

Reviewed July 31, 2010

My sister and I took our kids (8yrs, 12 yrs and 14 yrs) to Sylvan lake and stayed at the Racoon Lodge. She had stayed there approx 6 yrs ago when it was under different management. The motel is now under different owners and the place is a dump! We stayed in a kitchenette (the dishes were filthy), the beds are old and dirty...we needed to request a new bedspread as one of the twin beds had cigarette burns and blood on the covers. To top off our stay...we woke up to bed bug bit marks. I suffered the worst as I made sure the kids slept on blankets that we bought at the local walmart. and I slept on their sheets...Honestly, I dont' see how they are able to rent out rooms.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
5  Thank travelmama7200
Reviewed May 27, 2010

My wife and I like to spend a fun night at Sylvan Lake once or twice a year. We like this hotel since it's on the main strip, right near the action. There aren't any issues parking and we can hang out in Sylvan all day.

The actual rooms themselves weren't anything special but they are cheap and we don't spend much time in there anyway. Each floor has a BBQ outside so you can cook some burgers before hitting the beach. The staff are fine with having a few drinks in your room and hanging around outside as long as you don't get carried away.

The people that work there are very friendly; I think they actually live in the rental office.

I would recommend this hotel if you are there to party and don't really care where you crash after as long as it's in stumbling distance.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank WeekendEscape00
Reviewed April 17, 2010

To the guy who wrote:

"The woman said all we needed were 5 rooms, as each room accommodated 4 people. Every sane person would think that she meant there were FOUR beds in each room"

Um, no, every sane person would know that "each room accommodates 4 people" means two double beds. Who's ever seen a room with 4 single beds in it? What is this, a hostel in Germany?

Stayed: March 2010
Reviewed February 9, 2010

We went to Sylvan Lake after a conference in Calgary... therefore, our group, after leaving the conference, headed to Sylvan Lake during the summer to get together and have a retreat/meetings where some technical discussions took place.

Well, the motel is in a good location...

The first complain was when we booked the rooms. We said we wanted to accommodate 20 people. The woman said all we needed were 5 rooms, as each room accommodated 4 people. Every sane person would think that she meant there were FOUR beds in each room, as we especifically mentioned we were there for a conference/meetings and not a couples' retreat... but voila, as we got there, all the rooms had 2 DOUBLE beds. The first thing I did was to go downstairs and complain.. luckly (for me), there were still 2 free rooms... so I booked one for myself (and paid out of my own pocket, as opposed to other people whose rooms were paid by the event organizer - no big deal, I remember each room was only about $100). Most other MEN weren't that lucky and had to share beds... when confronted, the woman just said that we should just share the beds, and that was normal in her culture (she is east indian).

Second problem is that, even though my room was a non-smoker room (a ridiculous lie), it smelled like I was inside an ashtray. Horrible smell... cigarettes mixed with mold really make you feel nauseous...

Bathroom was a disgrace, it was like 70 years old, but at least it had water, even though a very slim run.

About 7 or 8 of the guys just slept in the car... that's shamefull... you book a room and have to sleep in your car...

On the positive side, parking and wireless internet were free and the staff was always available, even though not that helpful. They were not rude, though, even though we complained a lot... but they never apologized...

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank abnnassif
Reviewed September 4, 2009

I have been visiting sylvan lake every summer for the last four years, having lived in red deer nearby many years ago, and i can truthfully say this is one of only two places i would stay at again.
I arrived with my wife and kids and was instantly made to feel at ease by the manager who although clearly busy, still went out of her way to make sure we had everything we needed. Our family suite was impressive in size and cleaned to a decent level, towels were replaced every other day and our room was tidied every day unless we were still in the room. The hotel is situated right in the middle of the action which means everything is a few minutes walking distance but it can get a little noisy outside.
Compared to the other places i've stayed in around sylvan lake, this one's a winner and il be back next year.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2009

the manager is nice i will give her that, but i would rather have a cleaner room than a new friend, we did have to ask for new and clean sheets, when the lady came to change the sheets she put the comforter on the dirty carpet, it turned me off, i do believe they only clean the rooms when u leave, when i tried to fall asleep it was hard because the room smelled bad, the air conditioner filter was black so i don't recomend anyone to use it. i do believe this hotel would only be good for someone who just wants a fly by night place to stay. if you have young kids please don't let them crawl on the carpet
thanx that's all