“nice safe family place”

Ranked #2 of 2 Sylvan Lake B&B and Inns
edmonton
“nice safe family place”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I went there with my family and my daughter in law's family we had two rooms at the end on the main floor.It was so close to the beach,walk across the street and did not have to worry about them going back and forth for their water balloons .I really enjoyed waking up going across the street with my coffee and just reading my book....Jason and his parents were very accommodating if a problem came up .We bought pizza and thought we had a oven and they cooked our pizza for us ,the kids were very excited about it ! I will recommend this place for familes and peace of mind.They trully take care of their guests .Thank you again Jason and your parents for making it enjoyable experience for me and my family.I will be back next year .

Room Tip: I like the main floor in the corner closest to the beach for a family .There was one door and you go...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Tanthai

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We stayed August long weekend. Not sure if they jacked up the price but we paid $136 after taxes. They forced me to pay upfront $100 for a security deposit, they didn't just swipe a copy of my credit card, they actually made me pay it, i've never every had to do that at any other hotels/motels. I explained that this is out of the norm but it did no good.
There were three of us and they only provided 2 towels. When we asked for more, the house keeping lady gave my nephew who answered the door heck, stating "you have towels in there!".
They allowed children to run all along the outdoor hallways and people to party outside their rooms without saying anything. Not a normal party, a party where music was blasting and people were dancing in the rooms and in the hallways, along with driving in the hallways. Totally unacceptable.
There is a mini kitchette which is cool but sign says "wash your own dishes or you get charged $10"... We used a coffee mug and it was washed so r you could see the old drink stains. Gross.
The room is extremely outdated and carpets have stains everywhere, but appeared clean. They provide the worst conditioning shampoo packets that have only enough for one person and leave your hair feeling like steel wool- bring your own!!! When we called front desk and asked for two more packets, they asked if we could come get them... Really?! Never r my life have I been asked to get anything from any hotel/motel. I refused and they eventually brought it up.
I would only ever stay here is it was $80 a night or under, totally not worth it.

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank AmberP32

Travelers are raving about these Sylvan Lake hotels

Reviewed August 5, 2012

Stayed in the main floor cabins. Very small room & set up isnt ideal. TV was way up in corner & hard to see. Kitchen was ok, small fridge, 2 burners & no real table, only 1 chair, 1 stool. Employees are super friendly and the location is great. Not new or updated but didn't have to worry about kids tracking in sand. Would stay here again for sure but would request a #100 room.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Danamarie023
Calga, Australia
Reviewed July 19, 2012

We loved the location, and the cabin-like feel of the rooms we rented, and the manager was nice. The rug was old and was dirty, but we didn't mind that, as it saved us feeling like we couldn't track our kids in and out from the beach. BUT-- the towels were ancient and hard, and as my daughter said of her single room-- "the mattress felt like cardboard, and the pillow like a diaper"!

In our family-sized room, two of the beds were horrid, the other two were really great. The linen was very clean, but had holes in it, and the coverlet had cigarette burns. A small investment in new linen and replacing a few of these ancient saggy matresses would make this a great little place!

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms with the comfortable beds in them, and linen without holes!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank familywithtots
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed July 11, 2011

Location to this motel is ideal. It is right across from the beach and within walking distance of uptown. It's an old motel that is need of some upgrading. My folks stayed there and when the walked across the carpet they had to wash their feet. The bed was extremely hard and uncomfortable. The price is reasonable for being at a lake, so if you can handle a filthy floor and hard beds, this would be the place to stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sherrypm
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed December 12, 2010

Last time i visited Sylvan lake, i stayed at a motel further down the road to this one and had a bad experience so decided this time that prior to visiting Sylvan, i would look at a number of reviews on this and other motels in the area. I decided to book two nights in Raccoon and two nights elsewhere due to location mainly. I can not believe a couple of the reviews on here are about the same premises i stayed at! For the location and friendly service alone, this place is one of the best me and my colleagues have stayed at in the area and that includes Innisfall and Olds (nearby towns) as well as Sylvan.

Rooms are about average compared to others, cleanliness was the standard expected for the prices we paid so no complaints there. The service however was great, we requested a new remote as it was not working, we got one in less than five minutes. Our towels were changed everyday and when looking for a good place to eat, the lady at the desk (indian women) went out of her way to recommend places and booked us a taxi. I was also made to feel like no query was too small.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
6 Thank WorknotLeisure
Calgary Canada
Reviewed October 19, 2010

Great Location, Friendly Staff, carpet is kind of grubby, we kept our shoes on, it was great for the September Long weekend with ten year old twins and a 12 year old. It was nice to have a kitchennette. I checked the beds before using them and didn't see any issues.

I wouldn't pick this for a romantic getaway, but for a weekend trip to the beach with the kids, it was fine.

Handy for running back and forth so that we didnt have to use the bath and change rooms at the beach.

5 Thank CanadianWomanAbroad