“Inconvenient!”

Ranked #4 of 7 Marigot Bay B&B and Inns
Denver, CO
“Inconvenient!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2009

JJs is an OK place to stay, but to be honest, I thought Marigot Bay was pretty overrated. The room was $90 and was pretty decent, but it would have been MUCH better to take the Windjammer (located about 20 min north) for the special rate of $135 they offered. The main problem is that JJ's is separated from the beach and all the other properties/restaurants in Marigot Bay by mangrove trees. So the only way to get to other places in the Bay (to eat, rent a kayak, etc) was to take a water taxi for EC$10 round trip. And the taxi drivers are a pain in the rear, always trying to pressure you into expensive excursions, etc.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
4 Thank bill_shadow

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Vero Beach, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2009

We drove the wrong road down the hill, and it was a challenge, but we bumped into JJ, who directed us and had his manager meet us at the parking lot. The studio apartment was halfway up the mountain and did not have water views, but our balcony overlooked rooftops and gardens, and a big orchid tree had branches overhanging our balcony. I wore two orchids in my hair to dinner! The room was spacious and clean, with a huge shower that had no hot water. Unfortunately the management made no effort to get it repaired, saying that they'd fix it the next day. That didn't do us any good in getting sand and salt water washed off before going out for dinner! We had a plunge pool to share with a adjoining room, but did not use it. The gardens were lovely, and provided much to look at along lots of walking paths. Breakfast was a bit disorganized. We were told the restaurant opened at 7:30, arrived at 7:40 to be told it opened at 8:00, but coffee was almost ready. They were uncertain about our order for two eggs each, thinking we wanted two orders of two eggs (4 eggs), and when we wanted to charge it to our room, could not do so because we were checking out before they'd have a chance to update the bill. There was supposed to have been a water taxi from the property to Rainforest Cafe, but neither the hotel nor Rainforest Cafe could contact the guy, so we ended up driving back to the Yacht Club pier to catch a taxi across the bay. If I were to go back to Marigot Bay, I think I'd check out the room before checking in, and perhaps spend significantly more money to go more upscale. You get what you pay for.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Snorkel-Bum
Burbank, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2008

Waking up to the view of Marigot Bay, the lush gardens,scenery and tranquility was exactly what I needed. The food was great and the staff were really pleasant. J J the owner is an allround nice guy who will make sure that your experience is one to keep you coming back.

• Liked — The airconditioned rooms ,the selection of cocktails at the bar and the food.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled solo
St Lucia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2007

I choose JJ's paradise as a birthday present from my boo but it turned out that we didn't have as much fun as we would have wanted. There wasn't any night activity on that particular day so we just ordered dinner and went into our room.The room was quit clean but some of the amenities were missing. The air condition unit worked really really well. I enjoyed being under the sheets with my boo. In the morning we called for breakfast and it took a while before they could deliver due to the distance from the restaurant. But, everything turned out ok because as long as my boo was in my arms, that was enough to be thankful for. I will definitely recommend JJ's paradise to persons who like the local stuff.

• Liked — The air condition unit worked really well.
  • Disliked — No activities and we felt like we had imprisoned ourselves
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shakayo

Travelers are raving about these Marigot Bay hotels

Caribbean
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2007

My holiday experience was just great. Its not a four star hotel but its very local and the view of the Marigot bay is excellent. food was
also very good. The owner JJ was a great entertainer, he actually cooked us his famous creole crabs. They really have nice cozy bungalows

• Liked — The localness. it was well preserved
  • Disliked — the view was just great
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Castries
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2007

i stayed at jj's paradise and it started out good enough to wonderful thanks to the staff especially Stella she is polite and very proffesional and made me feel like am at home. However if you just looking to get out of the city jj's Paradise is just right for you.

• Liked — The Property
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
St. Lucia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2006

As part of our monthly outings seven of my friends and I decided to make reservations for the Buffet at your establishment after we received such great reviews and excellent past personal experiences from other collegues, and I must say, I was rather impressed with the whole layout of the restaurant. Unfortunately, this is where it ends.

The service we received can only be described as atrocious and to this point I am still unable to comprehend what transpired. It started off smoothly, we were seated but then, the hostess just walked away. For about five minutes we sat there catching up and when it was clear that she would not be returning any time soon, I took it upon myself to serve myself from the buffet.

After we had already gotten our meals and returned to our seats, the hostess approached us and rudely stated that we did not wait for her to explain what was happening that evening. We made reservations for the Buffet as I previously stated, which, to me does not need any explanation, but in any event, if any explanation was needed it should have been done at the point when we were seated and not when she felt like it.

If our table was attended to at least five times I would be telling a lie. We were only asked one time how we were doing and when we stated clearly that we were not satisfied, it was just shrugged off by the hostess. She even actually said to one of my friends who told her that the bread was a bit too hard, and I quote;"That's it?". The waiter who served us water seemed quite unsure of himself as well and actually wanted an estimate on the amount of water we thought we needed. If one of the ladies did not ask him if the water was priced, we would have never known that it would be part of the charge. Another waitress came to us too, but that was only in error as we were not the ones who ordered ice cream and there was another waiter who seemed to avoid our table like we had the plague. We had no wine yet the wine glasses remained on the table and our dishes were not cleared in a timely manner. I may not be familiar with how a restaurant is run but I don't beleive that this came remotley close to what it should be.

From then it only gets worse. The food was not all that great, actually, it was rather unsavory. Not quite the buffet selection we imagined. There were three types of Garden Salad, spicey fried potatoes, rice with hopefully what was parsley dotted with a few black eyed peas, barbequed spare ribs, chicken and grilled fish. I am an avid barbequed chicken fan but after this meal I am not so certain anymore. Persons who had the fish complained about its lack of flavour and even in an effort to add some piquancy we were unable to get the salt out of the shaker!

At the end of it all, we could have just walked out of the restaurant without paying for our dinner because it took at least twenty minutes before we were presented with the cheque. However,they did not negelect to put in the service tax on the bill although we received the worst service ever so at that point we decided to pay for our meals but exclude the service tax.

Hopefully we will never come across this type of service again which would cause us to take such action and we will not be returning to your restaurant ever again.We will definately not recommend it to anyone else.

I hope your staff clean up their act and learn to provide a proper customer service.

Yours Sincerely
Ms. Joseph

• Liked — the setting
  • Disliked — the service / food
  • Tips/Secrets — don't go there
Oasis Marigot
#3 of 4 in Marigot Bay
Capella Marigot Bay Resort and Marina
Marigot Palms Luxury Caribbean Guesthouse and Apartments

Been to JJ's Paradise Hotel? Share your experiences!