“Ocean Cottage”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Marigot Bay
Detroit, MI
“Ocean Cottage”
Reviewed November 17, 2005

WOW, what a beautiful place. I purchased the trip for my girlfreind's graduation present. I had been to the caribbean myself, (BVI, Mexico, Florida)but this island was truely a paradise.

We did miss our flight because Air Jamiaca went belly up so they had new restrictions and flights cancelled for a month and a half. So we missed one day.

The grounds were very neat and taken care of, with beautiful flowers along the lighted pathways. The sounds of birds in the daytime and the St. Lucian frogs at night will make you feel a part of nature immediately. The smell of the flowers and outdoors is truely an escape from the smog of automotive capital of the world. (Detroit, Mi)

We did book a diving course. Only drawback is that the company or third party does not train within a contained water enviroment or pool for new beginers (my girlfreind)I was already ceritified and loved the diving locations and crew.

All and all we found this place to be a hidden gem! The jewel of the caribbean. The Dr. Doolittle film of the 60's is neat to watch beacuse the bay is empty and not yet built up and the water level seemed to be much higher like the great lakes were in the late 60's.

If you looking for an ideal get away with your significant other this place is the best. Even with a group of freinds or family. If your looking for a spring break type atmosphere then go to a spring break destination. The party nights here dont go much past 10-11pm in the bay.

The Chateau Mygo across the bay is really fun. A very nice owner who will be more than a host. She'll whip up a sandwhich even if the kithcen is closed. They have 2 for 1 drink specials and a good pizza.

As for Doolittle's they make a mean drink and have a pool table to shoot some cue. The very nice owner from the UK may pop in for a drink or a two as well. A very nice gentleman and staff.

Michael,Noy Nadjlah,& Natasha and others mentioned from the staff to boating crew there is plenty of good remarks on theses folks. Pleasent and there to make your trip a pleasure. Thanks! Hope to see you all soon.

I have attached our view from our room (1st picture) and some of my favorites. Yes the first picture was taken from our room with the doors open.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions for going to St. Lucia. You can spend a fortune like every place in the world so yea it can be expensive. But well worth ever penny St. Lucia.

Bob Maguire
Detroit, MI

• Stayed March 2005
12 Thank BobM72

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Oxford, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 19, 2005

Oasis Marigot was a fabulous place to go for our honeymoon. We stayed at a more exclusive resort first, and finished up our honeymoon at Oasis Marigot. It was really nice to have a kitchen and save some money. One word of advice is to make sure all foods are kept in fridge, as there are lots of tiny little ants that get into EVERYTHING. Not to mention the birds, they fly right into your kitchen (if the doors are open to the porch) and will nibble on everything! We enjoyed the many cats that are on this side of the ferry, however they are somewhat wild, but mostly friendly and have fleas, so dont let them in your cottage. There is a little nature trail right on site, which was lovely for sunsets. Dont do it during the heat of the day though...very hot sun beating down on you! We chose to do the North and South sailing trips with captain Michael and Swaleene. Both were exceptional in assuring you a great trip! The trip to the south includes lunch, which was wonderfully prepared and delicious!! The North trip was a rainy day, but the galley is dry. We stayed up on deck with Michael, warm rain, and it was really neat to watch the storm coming in. Plus, Michael has some great stories, which we totally enjoyed! Food was great at Doolittles and Rainforest Hideaway, but was terrible at JJ's. We recommend skipping JJ's, over priced food, service was terrible...we asked for our second round of drinks aprox. 3 times, and never received them, plus they tried to charge us for them!!! My desert was spoiled, I only took one bite and promptly spit it out, and told the waitress about the spoiled cheesecake. She took it away, but still tried to charge us for it! My advise, check your bills. overall we had a wonderful experience at Oasis Marigot and the rest of Marigot Bay. Unfortunately there is a lot of construction at the new "Discovery" Part of me is happy that the island will receive some more tourist dollars, as it is very poor in areas, but part of me is sad, because I think the carribean feel will be diminished with all the tourist areas. Go soon, before the quaintness is gone

9 Thank lunalover
Reviewed October 16, 2005

My wife and I got married in Marigot Bay on September 8th, 2005. Our ceremony went off without a hitch! It was absolutely beautiful! THANK GOD! Now let me say this, there aren't many places we have visited that would rival Oasis in its pure natural beauty. The scenery and the natives make you feel welcome and honestly anyone would want to spend the rest of their lives at this place. Simply wonderful! The next morning after our arrival, we took one glance off the balcony at the bay, and we were hooked! The view and the natives was the real reason I decided to stay. So to Michael, Nadjlah, Noy, and Miranda, Thanks.

We were spent an entire week in St. Lucia trying to do the tourist thing, but for some reason, we didn't feel like tourists. Everyone we encountered made us feel like family. As a result of our wonderful trip, we are trying to find some property to purchase in St. Lucia, as this island is truly a place where we would like to call home.

Now, my integrity will not let me say this trip was 100% flawless. We had a couple of small issues, but all were completely resolved. No one goes on vacation and does not experience at least one small problem. That is part of the fun and unpredictability of traveling. Overall, I'd have to say that we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and we will plan on spending our 1st anniversary lounging on the same beach where we got married! So with that said, Michael, please get the boat ready as we will be sailing up to Martinique this time around! Peace and Love, The Douglas Family

• Stayed September 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 3, 2005

Imagine all of the comforts of home without all of the distractions of daily life. Imagine living in a tropical paradise where breathtaking views and the sounds of nature take the place of your television. If the all-inclusive resort is not your cup of tea, stay at the Oasis Marigot, where you are not compelled to do anything except relax with a great book on your balcony overlooking beautiful Marigot Bay. If all of this tranqility is too much of a shock for your system, you can do the tourist thing as well, you can book a myriad of activities through the office. The one 'must thing' to do if you plan on vegging out, is to take the taxi to Castries to do some major grocery shopping. If you elect to eat out there are five decent restaurants around the Bay, my favorite because of the atmosphere was JJ's. My least favorite was Doolittle's, not because the food was bad, it was just that you were always joined for your meals by annoying cats. If you want to meet the locals, or if you want to see the island on your own terms, you must hook up with a cab driver who will stop at a little shop off the road or at a scenic vista, something a 'tour' bus won't do. Andrew, our driver, became our tour guide, our teacher, our friend. If you see him, tell him that Russell and Ethel send their love.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 20, 2005

WELL. I have mixed feelings about this hotel. When we arrived at the porter station there was no one there to meet us. We waited and thankfully we have cell phones so we could call the guest services desk. Evidently the paperwork was wrong and the porter didn't have the right time. When he showed up, he took us across the bay and up to our room on the tram. We stayed in the Villa St. Lucia. When entering the bottom unit there was a dead cockroach immediately on the floor. Now I know it's the Carribbean and all, but it's just not what you want to see the moment you step in the door. Then we went up to guest services to check in, etc. and we were told that there is nowhere to get groceries on the complex. We were told by their Canadian reservations line AND someone at guest services before we arrived that there would be a provisions store. Well, there isn't. We were told that we could pay $10 per person to go to Castries in the morning by water taxi or go to a little convenience store a 20 minute walk away or take yet another taxi. We felt mislead by this information and voiced it. Fortunately, guest services were very accomodating and paid for our water taxi to Castries in addition to moving us to the upstairs suite in the Villa. This made us happy. However, the next thing that was problematic was that even though the grounds are very beautiful, workers come and start loudly weed wacking at about 8:30am in the morning. This happened on two occasions very near our Villa and didn't stop for hours and was very irritating and not "oasis" like at all. We talked to guest services about it and they tried to get it to stop with somewhat difficulty because the workers claimed they had to do it. I spoke with other vacationers about this problem and all of them experienced the same thing. ALSO, they are doing a lot of construction down in the lower half of the complex nearer to the restaurant and across the bay. You will hear buzz saw and hammering noises throughout the area. The good thing was when it was quiet it was very relaxing. The plunge pool at our Villa saved us from having to deal with the beach. The beach itself is very nice with little thatched huts for shade, etc. but they have sellers on the beach who can be very irritating. We were even approached by a man wanting to sell us marijuana. The security guard for the beach didn't really do his job in my opinion of keeping those sellers away. We just wanted to relax and it seemed like we were always being plied with someone selling bananas, beads or whatever. ANOTHER thing that we found very annoying was there was NO BANK or ATM or CURRENCY CONVERSION facilities anywhere. We brought quite a bit of Eastern Carribbean currency but the restaurant never seemed to have change, the sports rental didn't have change, and we spent a couple times running around trying to do this. People would stare at us like we were crazy to ask for change. Guest services helped me out one day and made change for an American $20 but not without some difficulty. My advice would be if you are going to stay there bring a boatload of money and make it small bills. They have a safe in the room so I would keep extra money there.
Marigot Bay is beautiful. Oasis Marigot can be irritating for the reasons I just mentioned. Also, if you want to book a tour to do any activites, you usually have to get a taxi to go to the place where the tour will pick you up. Marigot Bay isn't a hub on anyone's list except a pass through that most tour boats make.

Some other information to consider: I would not go to Castries for anything but to quickly go food shopping. I would not make the walk to the "convenience store" from Marigot Bay. It's not that it's necessarily dangerous so to speak, but you will be a target as a vacationer. People will come up to you and ask you to buy whatever they are selling. They will be relentless. We found that we could not be comfortable outside of our general compound or a structured tour. I live in New York and I found that people made me a little uncomfortable always trying to sell their wares, or following you down the street or stopping you on the street. I felt as if the proper distance that should be kept between people was not always adhered to.

If I were to go back to St. Lucia I would probably go to Rodney Bay and stay at a hotel with more amenities than Oasis Marigot could offer. Also, all the organized tours leave from Rodney Bay for the most part. But, I do think that Oasis Marigot is beautiful and the people who work at guest services and the onsite managers are very accomodating and try their best to help you out. Maybe after an experience somewhere else I will want to change my opinion and stay at Oasis Marigot again. I think they are definately worth trying, just be aware of what I mentioned.

• Stayed September 2005
30 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
jbinet, General Manager at Oasis Marigot, responded to this review, November 25, 2010
Thank you for posting a balanced and quite objective review. We make the following points not in refute of your comments, but as an informative update, as many things have changed since the time of your stay.
We realize you were a little thrown off by the check-in, which was not as timely as it usually is. For this we upgraded you to the upper level, which you, as mentioned, were happy with.
Firstly, we agree finding a dead cockroach upon your arrival is not the warmest welcome, and we apologize for this. In fact, the insect you see is not a cockroach but a smaller tropical cousin. In an effort to assure your comfort while vacationing, we do treat for insects. The only downside of this is that we cannot entirely control where they decide to "kick the bucket", as I may put it.
We apologize if you felt mislead on the distance of the grocery store. In 2005, the time of your stay, the closest provisioning store was a 20 minute walk away. The Oasis staff have never claimed there to be a provisioning store on the premises, so perhaps this was a matter of miscommunication. All this to say, Marigot Bay has been outfitted with a quaint little shopping center, which contains a grocery store, a bank, a little French bakery, and a few other boutiques and shops. So for any new guests, there is now a grocery store located in Marigot Bay. I believe this also addresses your next point, about the absence of a bank. As there is now a bank and fully automated ATM in Marigot Bay, you need not worry about finding a place to withdraw and exchange money anymore.
A hotel requires much maintenance to keep everything in good state, such as keeping our gardens beautiful, as you mentioned. Being quite a popular hotel, it is sometimes difficult to schedule maintenance work in between the stays of guests, and sometimes there are long periods where we always have guests at the hotel. Since the time of your stay, as a minimum standard for noise reduction, we ask all our maintenance staff to operate any machinery only after 10am, so at least you will hopefully be out exploring for the day when any maintenance takes place. Yet in all circumstances, we will always try our absolute best to make sure your stay is pleasant, relaxing, and undisturbed.
This leads my into my next update, as you mentioned the noise from the construction 'down by the bay'. Luckily, by now all that construction which was underway has been finished. The peace has been restored!
Local vendors is one aspect of St. Lucia which is very hard for us to control, especially when you are outside of the resort area. However, I may say that St. Lucia's economy has been steadily improving, allowing for more jobs for more people. So, especially since 2005, the change has been visible. As for the Marigot Bay beach, the beach security has been stepped up recently, providing a more friendly beach environment for relaxation.
You also say that Marigot Bay is not a hub for anyone, except a place that boats pass through. This we do not believe to be true. In fact, quite a few of our activities embark from Marigot Bay, such as our day-sail tours to the north and south of the island, scuba diving tours, jungle biking adventures, snorkeling tours, water sport rentals, local fishing experience tour, kayaking, and our romantic sunset cruise. St. Lucia has exciting tours and places to see all over the island, so it is hard to say any one place is a hub for all. However, if any one place were to be a hub, Marigot Bay would be close to it, as it is located midway down the west coast, and some of the best things to do and see happen all along the this coast. In fact, you are quite well positioned between the natural beauty of the famous Pitons Mountains, active volcano, and superb snorkeling locations just south of Marigot Bay, and the exciting town of Rodney Bay and the National Park to the north.
Lastly, you mention you would rather stay at a place which has more amenities than what Oasis Marigot has to offer. Just as a clarification, we have a wide range of accommodations with different levels of amenities and services all along the west coast. For example, we have properties that may include a complimentary cook, fully-equipped kitchens, large private pools, and we even have one that comes with a complimentary powerboat to explore the island at your will.

Best regards
Reviewed August 26, 2005

My wife and I planned our St. Lucia vacation almost a year in advance. Since this was our 30th anniversary, we wanted everything to be perfect. The 11 months flew by and we were in the most beautiful place in the world, Marigot Bay, St. Lucia. Our vacation started Friday, July 15 and ended July 24, 2005. We stayed in the Villa St. Lucia on the first floor. We had a full kitchen, bedroom (with air), and a wonderful lanai that overlooked thick greenery and the most beautiful bay in the world. Just outside the lanai was a plunge pool that was perfect for cooling down or reading. Nahdjla and the staff were very helpful and friendly. The sign-up board in the office was a great way to save some money and an easy way to meet others. We shared water taxis to Castries, on the yacht tour of the south, and a land taxi for the Friday night jump up in Gros Islet. The Villa St. Lucia is definitely a vacation in paradise!

David and Tanya Pavloff

• Stayed July 2005
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Kanata, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed August 20, 2005

My husband and I stayed at Villa St. Lucia at Oasis Marigot in February 2003. We were absolutely delighted at our choice for one of our most memorable holidays ever. We stayed on the upper level of the villa and we weren't disappointed. It was absolutely stunning with loads of room and all the amenities. The large living/dining room was beautiful. Being screened in on two sides afforded us the opportunity for breathtaking views from both perspectives. It was lovely to watch the little hummingbirds light on the rain trees with their umbrella-like feathery flowers. We couldn't wait to catch a view of the gorgeous sunsets from our perch high above the bay. The plunge pool with its little waterfall was very welcome after a water taxi trip to Castries. We were lucky to meet a vendor who supplied us with the freshest fruit every other day. Although there were other villas and apartments dotted here and there within the resort, not once did we feel that we didn't have our very own private paradise. We felt so spoiled and happy. The property itself is fantastic with tropical flora at every turn and lovely views. There were loads of places to relax: at lovely Marigot beach, the bar, restaurant or just walking about the property. Would we recommend Oasis Marigot to our friends? Absolutely. The accommodation is clean and extremely comfortable, the staff is charming and they provide great service, and all amenities are available. The locals are charming people, very friendly and giving. Yes, we would return to Oasis Marigot in a second.

A little piece of paradise........

7 Thank JudyWood53
Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
#3 of 13 in Gros Islet

Been to Oasis Marigot? Share your experiences!