“Villa Des Piton (Paradise)”
Review of Oasis Marigot

Oasis Marigot
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Marigot Bay
Calgary, Canada
“Villa Des Piton (Paradise)”
Reviewed May 20, 2012

This place is heaven on earth! We went as a group of four, the accommodation would easily take 6/8. All of us were spellbound for first hour of arrival and equally spellbound witnessing our first sunset at Villa Des Piton; accompanied with some mellow tunes from the amazing Bose system. The trick is to buy as much food from the main supermarkets near the airport. Ask your taxi drive to take you to the biggest supermarket and tip him to wait, the tip is easily going to save you money in the long run! Go, long, and then even buy more as once at the villa the local supermarket is 30 mins from the Villa and quite simple in it offerings.

Make sure you are super nice to Mary as she is amazing and will even sort some fresh fish from the morning catch (Whole Yellow Fin Tuna $25).

Was one of the most amazing accommodations we have stayed at. Very peaceful and very special. A rare find! We said we would never go somewhere twice but this place breaks that rule we will come back to witness the amazing offering this place furnishes you with!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 19, 2012

This was a great place to stay in marigot bay for a fraction of the going rate. The rooms are set within the mountain, and a ski lift type trolley takes you to your level, for those tired from a long day. Restaurant at the main level, not owned by oasis, but convenient place for breakfast, dinner or night cap. No room service, no TV, no A/C and wifi is sketchy, but is all over the island... And like I told my fiancé, that's not why we are here. We stayed in an ocean front cottage, had a little kitchen and a pool on our deck. Lovely views, pool is great, and fans at night were enough for a comfortable sleep. The beach is not great, rocky, but doable to just get some sun... We rented a car and went to ti Kaye village and Renuit beaches. (those which are gorgeous).

Room Tip: I recommend Ocean view
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reading, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 14, 2012

We wanted to go to a beautiful island and do some sailing. This turned out to be everything we expected. Our accomidations were excellent and eveyone very friendly and helpful. We have been married for 27 years and this was a perfect second honeymoon. If you like the island experience and want to get some sailing in, you can't go wrong here. We can't wait to go back.

Reviewed May 5, 2012

We arrived late at nightat nearby SLU airport. Had contacted the hotel in advance and a taxi was waiting for us. No problems. Took us right to the water taxi, and called and made sure we were set before he left..across the bay the water taxi driver walked us to security that knew we were coming and took us up the little trolley to the room. At the top someone was sitting there waiting with keys and showed us our room.
Everyone was very friendly and helpful! The taxi driver didn't even want the $ said we could pay hotel in the morning!
Waking up to the BEAUTIFUL view was awesome!
The grounds guy got us fresh coconuts and mangos. Super welcome to the island!
Would recommend highly, as long as you don't mind the climb up the stairs or trolly ride to room.
But well worth the views!!

1 Thank BeverlyV
Bedford, Canada
Reviewed May 4, 2012

We stayed at LeSport for the first 4 nights in St. Lucia. It was a big adjustment to go from such a luxurious all-inclusive resort to a self-catering cottage without air conditioning. We stayed in Ocean Cottage #4 which has a lovely view. There was a big of confusion upon arrival as the public run ferry was down for repairs. We were transported by Doolittle's ferry which is meant for their own customers.

Trevor, the caretaker, helped us with our luggage and was very kind to provide some mangos and coconut milk on our first morning. I was hot from the transfer and wanted to cool off in the plunge pool. It did not appear to be very clean so I took the net and cleaned out the bugs and debris. I saw Trevor cleaning the pool one morning so I guess it's a matter of the filtration system not keeping up with the debris and bugs.

We were told by someone who owns a cottage in the area that not having air conditioning would not be a problem in April. It was quite hot and humid and the ceiling fan and standup fan did little but push hot air around. We had to sleep with the door wide open under mosquito netting. Any critter can enter the room at night...I stepped on a little frog the first morning (sorry frog...who is now in froggy heaven). There were nice breezes on the deck but for some reason we could not feel them inside the bedroom.

Unit #4 is a little odd. There is a key for the gate to enter the unit. A key for the kitchen (which is separate from the bedroom and entered off the deck) and two for the bedroom. The living area is the deck with a table/chairs and two wicker chairs. With four keys, we were constantly trying to remember which key belonged to which lock.

Overall, the unit was clean and well kept but fairly dated. The bedspread seemed dated and a little tatty. The bathroom was fine and the towels and linens were plentiful. The fridge was warm upon arrival. I had to put our meat and yogurt in the freezer in order to keep it cold. We would put beverages in the freezer for a time before consuming them. The deck furniture is a little uncomfortable for sitting any length of time. The bed was fairly comfortable. There is plenty of closet space and hangers.

Marigot Bay is nice but I feel it would be an expensive and inconvenient place to base yourself unless you're really not a beach person. I would not want to spend any time at the beach area there (can't really call it a beach). The cost to go to a local beach by watertaxi is approximately $80. I personally would not like to drive the roads in St. Lucia. You can use the facilities at the Discovery Cove Hotel if you buy a lunch there...they have a beautiful pool.

We ate lunch at Huricane Hole and dinner at JD Mangrove. Both meals were very good and the service was very attentive.

I was impressed that Oasis management called us on departure day to check on us. They offered for us to stay an extra hour since our transfer wasn't picking us up until noon.

I can see how some people would love it here. It is enchanting riding the ferry over and taking the funicular to the top. Not so convenient when you forget something at your cottage and you have to take the funicular back up. The view was very pretty and it was interesting watching the sailboat come and go. I will say that it just wasn't the right fit for us as it was a little more rustic that we would like. I would recommend taking a unit next door that is air conditioned if you want a good nights sleep.

Room Tip: I feel air conditioning is a necessity.
3 Thank Crazyfourtravel
Rochester
Reviewed April 28, 2012

Located on the incredible Marigot Bay, the Great House is a perfect choice for a group of friends or a family looking to enjoy the island during the day and have a comfortable, private retreat to return to each night. I spent a week at this property with a group of friends. It was perfect. We made breakfast every morning in the well-equipped kitchen and ate it out on the beautiful porch. We made dinner there several nights and spent every evening enjoying the deck and the sounds of nearby music or, on weeknights, the sounds of the surrounding rainforest. The rooms are beautiful, comfortable and very clean. The housekeeper, a very sweet woman, came each day and did a great job. The private pool was kept clean by the gardner and we spent a couple of days right in the Bay and at the house. The house and Oasis Marigot staff were 5 star in my opinion. The bay is incredibly beautiful and there a several restaurants right in the village, as well as a nice little beach, a short water taxi ride across the bay. I recommend renting the full house for privacy - we did this despite not needing that much room but were very glad we did. The pool was our own this way and we didn't have to worry about being noisy late or being woken up early by neighbors. (The one thing I wouldn't recommend is the beach to the north side of the island. It was a bit of a hike and not good for swimming.)

Everyone we encountered was friendly and we felt very comfortable (we were a small group of 30 year old women). We recommend the Rainforest Hideaway for a splurge dinner. Have a taxi pick you up at the airport (stop for gorceries on the way). The roads are unmarked so it's a little tricky figuring out the directions at first, but I'd recommend renting a car. Make it clear the type of car you need - we had to switch cars in order to be able to drive ourselves and our luggage back to the airport. The car rental place was very accomodating though. Marigot is located perfectly for day trips to Castries, Gros Islet beach, etc. We did the rainforest ziplining, parasailing at Gros Islet, Friday night jump up at Anse Le Raye, and the Southern Sailing tour of the island (with Oasis) -- all were fantastic. We also did the day trip to Martinique. It was fun but not sure I would do it again -- unlike the other activities. The one thing I wish we had done was rented snorkeling equipment from Oasis and swimming Marigot Bay.

Highly recommended and considering a return trip with my family!

Room Tip: The Great House!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Bethany Z
Holtsville, NY
Reviewed April 20, 2012

We stayed here from April 2nd-April 7th for our Honeymoon and it was Paradise!! The view is INCREDIBLE and looks just like the pictures on the website, nothing is altered. It's almost unbelievable at first. The private pool is perfect and the sunsets are in clear view each night! Our taxi driver, Albert, was very kind and stopped at the Super J on the way to the airport. We picked up groceries to add to the ones we brought in our luggage.
There is a main lock on the outside but it is an open air walkway so the door is just a frame with shrubbery and a wire fence(I think there was a fence) Then, there is another lock for both patio doors. Once you are inside the patio, there is an iron gate that locks to the hallway for the bedroom and safe. Then, there is yet another lock on the bedroom door... needless to say- you don't have to worry about security.
Once the sun sets, it is not recommended to walk down the hill- as taxi is recommended. I don't think that it is for security reasons, I think it is more for physical safety of not tripping or injuring yourself. It is hard enough in the daylight to walk it, and we both exercise regularly. We did not feel threatened by the locals. There was one situation on Good Friday when the beach was packed with locals and there was a particular man who kept calling me a certain name. You could tell he was on some sort of 'substance' and was driving his motor boat kind of recklessly through the bay. That was the only time anything like that happened. There were plenty of other locals around who were polite, especially the men I noticed were much nicer than the women.
We stayed up most nights and ate out for lunch instead of dinner. The walk is about 10 minutes and going back up is manageable if you exercise (it is very steep and not for beginners) Going down is easier, but requires balance!

Doolittles had the best hamburger I've ever had, in my life on Tuesday... and I am a New Yorker. The 2nd time we went back, on Thursday, the burger was dry. The West Indian Chicken Roti was good if you like curry. Service is very slow (45 minutes for food after ordering) so bring something to look at, a map or pictures or something. We did not eat dinner here, only lunch both time as we tend to eat dinner early and it saves us a little money that way while voiding any waits for a table.

Rowleys was good for breakfast and ice cream/dessert, but dinner was terrible. For dinner, it was good friday, maybe that had something to do with it? Burger was really gross tasting and fries looked like they were either old or put in the microwave more than once.The menu is not accurate based on what is served. Chili on nachos was not there and when I asked, the answer was that they were out of avocado. Apparently, that's what they make chili with? I still don't understand it and they did not even take a dollar off the bill. I felt the staff was not very kind each time we went (breakfast, dinner, dessert) but I don't think it was intentional, it seemed to just be the way they were. There was fresh baked cake, worth every penny! It was just baked though, so look to see how many slices are left before buying.

The ferry ride is literally 40 seconds like I read in the last review, and free if you are going to eat at Doolittles, which we did a few times. If you are going over to the beach, it's a nice place to eat lunch because the view is so beautiful. Then, there are no worries about the ferry fare. Even so, it's $2 pp and we did not feel it was worth buying a week pass.

Hurricane Hole had decent food. It was relaxing and the waitress was kind. This is located on the Discovery hotel property in the inner part of the Bay. No ferry is needed to get here but ee could not find it at first.

The Internet Cafe is closed on saturdays so we missed it.

The housekeeper washes all your dishes and makes the bed while providing towels when needed. It really was a wonderful honeymoon and so much better than staying in a chain hotel with no views or a ocean view that you have to stand on top of a chair and lean over the railing to see it.

AMAZING!

Jade Mountain Resort
#1 of 11 in Soufriere
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella
Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort

Been to Oasis Marigot? Share your experiences!