“We absolutely loved it!”

Marigot Beach Club and Dive Resort
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Marigot Bay
Hastings, Canada
“We absolutely loved it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

This small quiet resort was perfect for us who prefer this to crowds and more commercial resorts. We loved the 1 min. ferry ride across scenic Marigot Bay to get there. Our deluxe beach front room with kitchenette was lovely and clean with a spacious balcony offering a formidable view of the bay with yachts coming and going from all over the world! The palm treed sand beach is small and quiet with consistently calm water. Non-harassing vendors on the beach include water sports, fresh fruit for sale and a small bar. "Comeback", who caught and cleaned fresh snapper for our dinner, and the talented and delightful "Coco" who sells coconut artwork added to the local charm. We had our breakfast included. Huge with lots of choice! The atmosphere overlooking the bay at Doolittle's was superb, meals excellent, and staff attentive and friendly. There are other restaurants in the bay to enjoy. We recommend Rainforest Hideaway, a walk away, for an exquisite culinary experience! When we chose to eat in, our kitchenette was equipped with the basics including a hot plate and the Marigourmet grocery store was a quick ferry ride away for everything we needed. The entire staff was polite courteous and accommodating. This quiet resort is perfect for families and couples alike.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Marigot, Director of Sales at Marigot Beach Club and Dive Resort, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Hi Jennifer,
Thank you very much for your kind words. We are very happy that you have chosen our beautiful resort to spend your vacation. It is go to know that you had a wonderful and relaxing holiday and that we have contributed to that. We look forward to having you with us at our resort and St. Lucia sometime in the near future.

Best wishes,
M.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Bratislava, Slovakia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

The hotel is situated in the one of two most beautiful places on St.Lucia (The second one is Sugar beach among Pytons hills). In the bay you may find two hotels, marina for jachts and many yachts. The whole bay is surrounded by rain forest. The hotel itself is situated on semi-island like place with private beach. You have to use a ferry which will take you for free from marina to the hotel. The hotel has its own beach, restaurant and bar. The hotel is built on a hill. Rooms are beautiful and equipped with everything you need for cooking. In each room there is also available an iron and ironing board.Bathroom was really small but equipped with everything you need including hair dryer. You have to pay extra charge for the safe box. Each room has its own spacious balcony with a view to the bay. One of the main problems of the hotel is cleaning service of rooms. There is a wi-fi connection but only on reception which is very complicated when you want to check your e-mails or do something with access to internet. Restaurant is very good but you may find breakfast also on the other side in harbour where is also car rental and supermarket. Other problem of the hotel is that reception is opened only from the morning until 11:00 PM, which is not very good idea if someone would need something. Other big problem is that the hotel does not have its own ferry or boat and you may use the ferry only from the morning until 11:00 PM. People in the hotel will tell you that when you want the ferry service you should yell something like "hey ferry guy" or whistle. I spent there four nights and the main problem of the hotel is according to my own experience as follow. Me and My brother went outside to see a local night life in the nearest village maybe ten minutes by walk up the hill. When we were returning back to hotel at around 02:00 AM nobody was able to wake up a ferry guy nor call to the hotel. We had to sleep in the marina in the other ferry seat until 06:00 AM when a ferry guy woke up and went for us. We found nobody on the hotel`s reception and no security service in the hotel. Next night early in the morning we had to go to the nearest airport to catch our flight. The problem was that it took a while to wake up a ferry guy. He was not able to start an engine on a ferry. Then he took canoe and went to the other shore where he tried to start another ferry but again unsuccessful. The whole drama took maybe one hour and we had yet one more hour to our flight. Then the security guy woke up the owner of the Hotel who took his own boat and took us to the marina. We were lucky because a taxi driver was waiting for us over one hour. Then we came to the local airport half hour to flight departure and we did not miss it. But it was not a good experience at all and we spent there only four nights of which two were really problematic. I told on recepction that I want some discount for the troubles but they did really nothing about that. I highly do not recommend this hotel to old people and to people with babies because I am not sure how they would solve any problem there especially anything with healthcare. I do not recommend to go there between 11:00 PM and 06:00 AM because you may be very badly surprised after your trip there.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Advokat_Kollar
Marigot, Owner at Marigot Beach Club and Dive Resort, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
Dear Advokat
Firstly we do have our own ferry but we rely on the secondary boat. ALL guests are told to report to the security if they are going out and not coming back until after 12-00 when staff go home . you would be given the security guards phone number whereas he would come and pick you up, no big deal and very simple. yes they had a problem starting the engine of the secondary ferry and I was awoken at 5-00 am to take you across, plenty of time to catch your flight. the only nightmare was to not listen to simple instructions.
Thunder Bay, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

The hotel is in a beautiful location, on a beautiful bay. The room was pretty and functional, with a nice little kitchen and bathroom. Taking the water taxi over to the hotel every time you wanted to leave was not an issue, but we had to have someone wake up the operator at 5:30 am when we had to catch our 7 am flight (haha.)

I had one very small issue, which may have been a big issue for someone else. I was not able to call home to Canada from my room, and tried both payphones on the property to call and found they were both not working. Maybe something to look at, in case someone has an emergency. The front desk offered skype for me to use, but that wasn't going to work for me in this particular case.

There are only a few dining and shopping areas around the area of the hotel, so be prepared for that. It is a long walk up a large hill to get to the buses, and taxis are not very cheap.

Other than those minor issues, which did not ruin my trip in any way, it is a lovely place to stay with nice and friendly staff and locals.

Room Tip: If you have any mobility issues, the rooms are all on a hillside, so it will require a little uphill...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dustykatt
Marigot, Owner at Marigot Beach Club and Dive Resort, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Thanks for the kind review. not All of the rooms are up the hill ( beach front studios are what they imply, ( on the beach) there ARE 9 restaurants in the bay, yes taxis are expensive ( budget for that ) there is a huge supermarket only 2-3 miles away and you don't really have to walk away up the hill for the sake of $20 bucks. to get there. The payphone takes credit cards , no sweat and I am always available if you need to make a call . Glad you enjoyed overall . it is beautiful isn't it ;))))
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

We stayed in the 3 bedroom villa at Marigot Beach club with two other couples. I had my doubts about staying there after reading some of the reviews, but figured we could still make the best of it (which we did). We enjoy smaller hotels, being near the water, enjoy great Caribbean views,and especially Love St Lucia (which this place fulfilled). However, I truly rely on tripadvisor as I know a lot of you do, so I have to let you know the pros AND cons before you go.

It is truly in need of a renovation, Especially the 3 bedroom villa we stayed in. Bedroom 21A - air conditioner worked on and off (mostly off) for the first 3 days, they did fix it but then it was so noisy that we could not sleep with it on at night. The bathroom is so outdated- faucets that barely work, a mirror that is 6 feet off the ground, ripped and falling shower curtain,cabinets that did not shut properly, and a dilapidated old window shade. The sliding glass door curtain was so long and dirty at the bottom( like it had been stepped on and caught in the greasy door many times). The curtain rod was very corroded (yes it's humid, but it's no excuse). The chair cushion in our room was covered with white paint spots, and the curtain on the window behind it had rips in it. The matting in the wall pictures were even falling out of the picture. Many dust bunnies behind night stands and under bed. The bed was hard as a rock. In 21B- air conditioner broke, but was fixed. There was a huge nest of ants behind the shower faucets. When you showered the ants poured out into the tub- took 2 days for them to get rid of problem. This bathroom and 21C were also very outdated and in great despair.

The first night we got there, no one was available to give us keys for our room safes. I made the mistake of leaving my ipod in the night stand. The next morning while we were out for breakfast ,it disappeared. My fault...maybe...but reallly?!

So let's move onto the rest of the resort. Reception women were very rude and aloof. I tried to book a massage, but there was never anyone in there. So I finally asked Reception about it. They told me that there is only one spa person and if she is with a client she locks the door. I asked If I could book with them, no, only the spa gal makes the appointments. I gave up and went on with the rest of the day. (I was NEVER given an appointment). We never received our rum punch when we arrived or fruit tray that is promised in their brochure if you book for 7 nights. And if you are excited that you get a free sunset cruise, don't be. There is no cruise boat, or champagne. Its the owner and his small 8 passenger boat. Not terrible, after all it's free. But don't plan on anything romantic or fun.

I cannot write without complimenting the breakfast wait staff. The two gals that waited on us each day were very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was also very tasty.

I will finish up with the last but certainly not the least issue...the part where I am now missing part of my big toe. Yes, cut off....from the broken tiles in the pool! I slid into the pool (no I did not jump, as if that really makes a difference). I thought I stubbed my toe on something. I Got out of the pool and there hangs part of the end of my toe. Thank goodness my friend is a doctor, and that the bar staff was fast. They were able to cut the piece off, then bandage it up with some bandages my husband always packs and with some electrical tape from a fisherman. I knew I was going to need many more bandages for the week (this happened on our first day). I asked for stuff from reception, they said they would go to the store and get some bandages. They did not have them the next day, so we purchased some ourselves. It took 3 more days to get any bandages from them, and then the owner complained that I took too many!

I was very aware of the unprofessional and mean comments the owner puts here on tripadvisor, so I talked to the owner about all of these issues, and wrote him a note before we left. I received an email from him after we returned home. He had an excuse for all of the resort problems. I can let most of this go, (I am not a demanding or mean- spirited person). I can't however let the safety and well being of others be ignored The pool tile is very dangerous. I also saw another gal cut the bottom of her foot, while her husband picked up some of the broken tiles out of the pool. I told her to tell reception, but evidently never did. If they do not drain the pool and fix the tiles, please do not get in there, you cannot see the small step on the deck side of the pool, and you can certainly not see the broken tiles.

I have never had to write a poor review on tripadvisor before, We have always made sure we eat or stay at places with good reviews. The Marigot Beach Club was not my first choice, but there were others in the decision making process. So my advise to you is always go with your gut feeling, it it seems sketchy, do more and more research.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Kim D
This is the actual reply I gave this person in response to her letter

Dear Kim
I do hope that you all arrived home safely and came home to no snow. Thank you for your comments, some of which are correct and others I am afraid that you have either got wrong or misunderstood completely. I notice generally that you enjoyed your vacation and am pleased for that and that in the main my staff did their job well.
1. Your welcome rum punch is served at the bar and you should have asked for it and you would have received it , the room amenities are for full rate package, you were given a discounted rate which does not include welcome pack but you were given a “starter pack”.
2. The “sunset cruise “ You are talking about with champagne is $155 per couple, you received a “Complimentary cruise”
3. The therapist was busy with clients and from what I am told, you were getting impatient, I think that you will agree that if you were being massaged you would not want to be interrupted. You were given an appointment time of 4-00 pm but never showed up.
4. The ants were eradicated as soon as it was reported by you but apparently you reported some more from the same source and was dealt with immediately I am told.
5. Thank you for your compliments on the waitress staff.
6. The bandage seems to be a little “stretched” as it was supplied the day you jumped on the step, the buying staff who were asked to fetch some bandages forgot the order but came back the next day with a full box of first aid and left it for your total use. (TLC)
7. Your IPOD was stolen from your room because, against advice you took undesirables from the beach and we do not hold ourselves accountable, this is why we advise you store all your valuables in your safe to protect you as well as our staff. BTW there is an outstanding bill of $97.20 for the safes
8. The Fawcett ( checked by myself) did not appear to have any problems, it turned on and off perfectly well. Just checked it again to make sure. Bet yes it could do with a new one ( Noted) since been changed .
9. Just checked the new curtains and see no rips in them and shocked that you should tell me so, they are washed regularly and did not appear dirty at all. 10. Whilst the rods were corroded ( brass and the sea air) they were not rusted.
11. Checked the a/c for noise and found none, I did receive a report that the engineer went up 3 times as the settings were continually changed by you, necessitating its being reset.
12. Finally, we never got any reports of anyone else cutting their toes.

I have personally been to inspect all of your complaints ( TLC ) and the above replies are all I can do and I went with the room manager who agreed with me.

Again, I see that overall you enjoyed and I am thankful for that. Hope you will check us out again next year.

All the best.

David Shimeld.

your so called toe wound was minor and had it been as you have exaggerated , you would have been straight to the hospital for stitches. you openly admitted that it was your own fault as you had jumped onto the step. It was no more than a graze.

the curtains had some dye marks but not dirty, however they have since been changed. As has the tap, not necessary but we do actually listen.

as for mean spirited and demanding I am afraid that the staff would disagree as you were in the reception every 3 minutes. my saying that you had used too much bandage is an outright lie, nothing of the sort was said at any time.

getting an award of excellence is no mean feat and I would ask others to recognize this fact
Tyngsboro, Massachusetts, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

We just returned from a week at Marigot beach club. We were a party of 6 including two children ages 8 and 11. We really had a a fantastic time. I will admit I was nervous before coming to the resort due to all of the negative reviews. If you are looking for huge 5 star resort, this is not the resort for you. The resort is small and very island like. The size of the resort makes is great for kids and adults. The staff was very family friendly. Our villa was perfect and the view of the bay was stunning. Doolittles has a great bar and is very fun for happy hour nightly. There are several great restaurants on the bay and all accessible by ferry. The food at all of the restaurants was very good. The ferry's run continually so you never really have to wait for more than 5 minutes. The bay was absolutely beautiful and both the guests and the staff at this resort were great.

The only negatives were the locals on the beaches continually trying to get you to buy things (but that happens on a lot of islands) and the restaurants on St. Lucia are pretty pricey.

We did the ziplining, snorkeling, and went to Rodney Bay Beach. The island has so many great features and fun things to do.

All in all we had a great trip. I would absolutely recommend this hotel and location.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank Shellyrmc
Hello Family Muhugh,
:) What a pity your vacation wasn't longer! We are pleased to know that your expectation was met many times over. We did enjoy having your family vacation with us and are thankful that you have chosen us.
All the best to you and we do hope that you will vacation with us next time around.

XXX
Sea Bright, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

Surrounded by water, this is the only resort in Marigot with nightlife well into the evening. David, the owner, and his dog, Pepsi, make you feel like you have arrived home, as does Glenn, the bartender, Sam, the masseuse (female), and everyone else who works here.
Don't worry about it being on the island,accessible only by boat. It is two minutes across, and it runs all the time (you can even swim it). Everyone from the mainland hotels come here at night and sunsets should not be missed. Taxis are ever present when the boat docks, and Curtis was our own guide for the week - we just text him when we were coming over.

Great beaches, great weather, great people

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank StaceyR07760
Hi Stacey,
You were a wondeful guest. We enjoyed having you with us. We are happy you had a great vacation here in St. Lucia and Marigot Beach Club. Thanks for reviewing your experience and we do hope you will make us your number one choice should you choose to vacation in St. Lucia again in the near future.

Take good care and best wishes to you.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Was almost put off staying here after the reading bad reviews, and more importantly the comments left by the owner in response to them! (Seriously, have a look SO scathing and unprofessional!)

Nevertheless we stayed for 2 nights and it is truly beautiful and the resort is lovely, rooms themselves perfectly fine.

However just a couple of things stopped it being perfect - the terrible restaurant service (waited an hour for starters, they forgot our drinks entirely). Tried to order last happy hour drinks at 7pm and told very bluntly we were too late. Staff couldn't be bothered to fetch beach towels or help out with small requests like extra pillows.

Overall this resort is the best placed in marigot bay, but lets itself down a bit on going the extra mile!

Also tip to the owner - I wouldn't respond to negative trip advisor reviews with such brutal comments abusing your customers, you'll just put potential customers off staying with you!

• Stayed February 2014
5 Thank Caro-ds
Marigot, Owner at Marigot Beach Club and Dive Resort, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Caro ds . you were not man enough to complain to either the food and beverage director nor the supervisor nor the chef , nor the general manager , nor the owner. I have spent my life caring for visitors well being! you could have approached many members of my team to complain about your problems and get them rectified ;) a sympathetic ear, free meal, bottle of wine , apologies etc , but instead you chose to hide behind you fictitious name as a cowardly weak person and join the list of liars who just want to destroy businesses and peoples livelihood. is it no wonder that you get my irritated but truthful replies ? . Just to let you know that I fired 3 of my staff on the back of your email, hope you feel good about that ! see I do listen, hope you do too. these staff have children, mothers, and other family and it really is not easy to get jobs here with 25 percent unemployment. have a nice day ?
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marigot Bay
Coco Palm Resort
#3 of 6 in Rodney Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,606 reviews
St. James's Club Morgan Bay

Been to Marigot Beach Club and Dive Resort? Share your experiences!