“Great location, horrific 'resort'”

Marigot Beach Club and Dive Resort
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Marigot Bay
London, United Kingdom
“Great location, horrific 'resort'”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I travelled solo to Marigot Bay in Dec 2013 for 7 nights staying in a deluxe Grande studio. The website gives the impression that the resort was well maintained and offers several different healthy life style exercises such as yoga, pilates, etc. On arriving, I was informed there was no such exercises and for the 7 nights I was there, there was no option to attend such classes (which the website claimed to have continuously – a bit like the sunset cruise option that never eventuated).

On initial impressions, the Grande studio looked very comfortable however, looking a little closer it was obvious that no one had bothered to clean the studio for quite some time. Adding to this, the shower barely worked and I had to request bath towels for 2 days once the shower was fixed. In the 7 nights I stayed there, my room was not vacuumed once.

Food at Marigot is alright if you can get it. I had to ask 5 times for a menu on my first attempt at dining at Doolittle’s and was given a death stare every time I asked for something (like a menu or a drink).

The staff in reception were equally as unhelpful and unfriendly as the restaurant staff and seemed to have an excuse for everything, mostly resulting in me being the one who misunderstood the situation or was wrong.

Finally, the beach outside the Marigot Beach Club plays host to a group of weed smoking locals (you can smell it a mile off) who are more than happy to harass hotel guests both on the beach and while guests are trying to enjoy tanning time by the resort pool or eating in the bar/restaurant without the resort staff paying any attention to guests being made to feel uncomfortable by beach boys requesting drinks be bought for them on guests accounts.

I have had the opportunity to travel the world and have stayed in an array of accommodation from back packers to a 6 star hotel and have to say that I will never stay in Marigot Beach Club and would highly recommend staying elsewhere if you are visiting the beautiful St Lucia.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
10 Thank Jenna A
Marigot, Director of Sales at Marigot Beach Club and Dive Resort, responded to this review, May 17, 2017
Dear Jenna,

We are now in 2017 and a lot has changed. Please do not make untrue statements about Marigot Beach Club. Thank you for your review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Czech first
Spring, Texas
Reviewed December 24, 2013

born and stayed in the island till I was 13 years old. Then moved to Houston Texas. Marigot Beach Club and Dive Resort is the worst place to stay in St Lucia. if it rains then don't even think of leaving for hours. the hotel drainage is terrible. Having to take a ferry every time you leave is an annoying factor. Hotel service is horrible, room service is done by the security guard. didn't get clean bed sheets. Not to mention a sinking ferry who had to be picked up from the bottom of the river/ocean by a crane. Hotel Doolittle's was a horrible experience. Talking about overpriced food and waitresses not being honest. I have stayed at many places in St Lucia and have been satisfied to the maximum. However, Marigot Beach Club and Dive Resort broke that streak...worst place ever...the security guard however, is very friendly.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
9 Thank herve t
Marigot, General Manager at Marigot Beach Club and Dive Resort, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear Mr. Herve,

At the time six weeks ago you will recall there was a tropical storm and it was not a case of irrigation, it was a case of a lot of rain. Ninety nine percent of our guest just love the one minute trip across the water by ferry.
Regarding hotel service, we would not have received a certificate of excellence if our guest were not happy with the service. I can assure you, the security guard is a security guard and just that alone. Our pricing is equal to that and even cheaper than any other restaurant in the bay.
About the Ferry, yes the ferry was hit against the dock, however it was subsequently repaired and two new ferries were bought and have arrived from oversea.

Best Regards
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 22, 2013

We've just returned from a two-week stay at Marigot Beach Club, which far exceeded our expectations. We weren't expecting (nor did we want) a super-luxury five star experience, but we were pleasantly surprised at how comfortable the place is, and what a fantastically gorgeous setting.

The staff in the restaurant and bar were really friendly - sometimes service was a bit slow, but who's in a hurry anyway? The rum punches were excellent and so was the food. We also ate at Rainforest Hideaway and at the Hurricane Hole, but we honestly preferred the restaurant at Marigot Beach Club. The food was always carefully prepared and there was a really good selection of different things, including super-fresh fish every day. We particularly liked the fact that we weren't expected to dress up for dinner - not something you necessarily want to do in tropical temperatures.

The guys on the beach are great fun - they arranged various things for us, including a water taxi (Alex) into Castries, where we had a good time shopping for paintings in the market and then watching the whales getting off the cruise ships (yes, the human type), only to waddle into the nearest cafe for yet more food - very entertaining indeed.

Our room was very comfortable and our terrace looked straight out onto Marigot Bay. We stayed in one of the Panorama rooms - anyone not wanting to climb quite a few steps should stay in one of the rooms lower down, but we took the view that it all helped to burn off some of the extra calories we were consuming!

I would recommend Marigot Beach Club for anyone wanting a truly relaxing holiday in a very laidback atmosphere. We will definitely be back. Thank you everyone at MBC for helping make our holiday a special time (including Pepsi the Dog!).

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank fatbottomzebra
Marigot, Director of Sales at Marigot Beach Club and Dive Resort, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Hello Fatbottomzebra,
Lol, it is good to know that your very relaxing holiday was met far beyond your expectation. We appreciate you sharing your experience with us. Thanks for such an objective review. It was also a pleasure having you. ;) Our Marigot Beach Club Team join in wishing you all the best :)

Once again we say thank you.
Best regards.
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed December 17, 2013

My wife and I decided to visit this beautiful island in early August this year for 3 weeks and choose to live at this resort for its affordable prices, and its magnificent location.
On arrival, the evening receptionist was really unprofessional. Then had to wait for a call to verify that our room was ready like we were not expected (we arrived at 1800hrs). On arrival into our room we noticed that our room was very untidy with waters bottles left under the bed, condom wrapper on the bed and dirty bedding; also the pans, plates and glasses were all dirty too. Inset nets and windows were filthy. I went down to reception to report this but it was closed. The following morning I reported to the receptionist and she laughed and said it’s impossible but asked the cleaners to check it out. I then noticed that the cleaners used the very same broom they used to sweep the walk paths outside and used it to sweep inside, We also discovered cockroaches in the cupboards and under the bed, also found one in my wife’s luggage in all there was about 4.
One rainy night I was awakened by droplets of water falling on my head and chest; the roof was leaking terribly, and had to shift the position of the bed. The following morning I reported this to the receptionist and she laughed again saying she have never had such a complain, and sent the handyman to check it out, obviously the water on the floor was there to prove it!!!!!!!! AND FOR WHOEVER IS REPLYING TO THESE REMARKS; I GOT THE PHOTOS TO PROVE IT AND WILL POST THEM HERE. We were frustrated and ask for a new room but were told that the other rooms similar to ours were all booked. We were given a choice to take the Beach Front Studios which was very small compared to ours; smaller bed and price being more. There is no night life at the resort and as a result it’s boring, the price of the local beer is much more expensive than anywhere else on the island, and the pool is always filthy.
I was also surprised that management saw it ok to have electricity in the restaurant and left the rooms in darkness one entire evening when there was a power outage. We were also awaken by the smell on fumes on night and realised that the air-conditioning unit was smoking. The entire stay at this resort was just issues after issues. There were nights went the ferry did not operate due to the night security being off duty, which I thought was a big inconvenience. The resort also has bad communication was our stay and wedding package was calculated as one and we payed our deposit as arranged and was supposed to pay the balance one leaving. But after our wedding dinner a restaurant staff told us we had an outstanding bill which I thought was embarrassing and had to explain to her that this was all arranged for.
Our honeymoon was a disaster as the Beach Front Studio was part of the wedding package and as I said earlier it was very small, small bed, lack of dishes and cutlery in the kitchenette and air-condition was not working, and was not repaired for the rest of our 6 days we stayed. I could go on and on about complains but I think I’ve said enough as most o complains were already said by others here.
THE ENTIRE RESSORT NEEDS TO BE RENOVATED, UPDATED AND CLEANING PRACTICES NEEDS TO BE IMPROVED.I WOULD NOT ADVISE ANYONE TO STAY AT THIS RESORT AT THE MOMENT AS THERE ARE MANY HEALTH HAZARDS. IF I WOULD ADVISE ANYONE TO VISIT THERE IT WOULD BE THE ST.LUCIA BUREAU OF STANDARDS.

Room Tip: the new rooms are better but there are many steps to climb.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
12 Thank mike w
Marigot, Director of Sales at Marigot Beach Club and Dive Resort, responded to this review, May 16, 2017
Thank you for your review. We are in 2017 and a lot has changed and upgraded. It would be our pleasure to have you guys stay with us again.
St. Lucia
Reviewed December 9, 2013

my boyfriend and i stayed at this resort at the beginning of November and we had a blast. the resort is small and kind of boring, there isn't any entertainment etc. i loved the idea of takin a ferry to and from the resort. the rooms are cozy and was cleaned everyday.the staff was friendly especially the bar staff. i wish i could remember their names. samantha at the spa was really great as well. my boyfriend be friended yellow the security guard really quickly. it was a great experience. the only thing the reception area closes too early

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tamsin p
Dear Tamsin P,
Thank you for your review. we have noted all. All the best to you and take good care.

:) M
Sequim, Washington
Reviewed November 26, 2013

The Marigot Beach Club and Dive Resort is a very nice, reasonably priced resort in St. Lucia. I went there by myself to enjoy some long overdue diving. Most of the staff is very friendly and accommodating, (though I did find the staff at the onsite restaurant, Dolittles, somewhat stand-offish). My room was clean, linens fresh. The little kitchen allowed me to prepare my own breakfasts and lunches to keep my meal costs in line with my budget. ...kitchen could have used a few more dishes and pots, but it wasn't difficult to make do. The lock to the sliding door out to the patio didn't work well and on my first night my attempt to unlock the door resulted in my breaking the key off in the lock. The staff resolved the problem with the help of the resort owner- who could not keep his scornful attitude about my apparent lack of door-locking skills to himself. The door never did work for me but I was so intimidated, I never said anything about it til I checked out. Otherwise, a nice stay and I would definitely return as well as recommend this resort to others.

Room Tip: Keep in mind that the resort is built on the bay but the rooms/studios are a bit of a climb up a hil...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Dolores C
Marigot, General Manager at Marigot Beach Club and Dive Resort, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Hello Dolores,

Thank you for your review, it was very nice having you stay with us at the Marigot Beach Club & Dice Resort. We are also glad you enjoyed your stay. Let me apologize for your being a bit intimidated about your lock issue. We have systems in place to take care of such mishaps, it was unfortunate you were not informed of these systems. We once again apologize. However overall we are glad you didn't let that spoil your vacation and you gladly took the time to enjoy every bit of it.
We will continue to keep in touch with you. Have a happy thanksgiving and do enjoy the holiday season ahead.

Best Regards
Perth, Australia
Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

Firstly I have no idea what the last review is talking about, the boat has been running and is still running back and forth to the dock, we didn't see one single sign of anyone who even looked like a prostitute and lady who cleaned our room did a brilliant job each and every day! Location is beautiful, room was cute and clean with all the amenities and large balcony. Staff were helpful although there were times when they could have done a little more. "Yellow" the security man offers the sunloungers whenever you need them and the we had a very pleasant stay! If this hotel made a couple of tiny fine tweaks it really could be unbelievable as they had most other things in place and working well. I would definitely recommend this place to family and friends as its great value for money

• Stayed November 2013
Marigot, Director of Sales at Marigot Beach Club and Dive Resort, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your comments about our resort. We do appreciate it and hope to see you in the near future.

Best regards,
Royal St Lucia Resort and Spa
Hummingbird Beach Resort
Hummingbird Beach Resort
#9 of 11 in Soufriere

Been to Marigot Beach Club and Dive Resort? Share your experiences!