“Excellent service, friendly staff.”
Review of Channel View Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Calabar
Channel View Hotel
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Calabar
Trenton, New Jersey, United States
“Excellent service, friendly staff.”
Reviewed October 20, 2011

Spent 1 month here while working in Calabar, it has good facilities and excellent service. I was put up at the Metropolitian by my company and then later the Axari hotel when I first arrived but had cause to shift on both occasions due to poor service.

Room Tip: The royal deluxe rooms are real value for money.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Ubong E

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed September 19, 2011

It was horrible. I wouldn't even think about recommending this to someone else. The place looks great. but you have to spend your time protecting your stuff rather than enjoying your stay.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Calabar hotels

Calabar, Nigeria
Reviewed December 28, 2010

If you don't mind your belongings being stolen then you can stay here. The food is well cooked and reasonably priced, there is also a mini bar in the room. The location is central which makes getting a taxi easy if you don't have a car. On the downside, so much theft takes place and the management handdover the housekeeping staff to you if you want Police involvement.

• Stayed December 2010
3 Thank Julia O
paris
Reviewed August 3, 2010

Unfortunatelly our stay at channel hotel was paid by our company and we were not able to change it due to the appointments previous booked at the hotel. there is nothing functioning properly. The hotel is in all blocks under rennovation, even the kitchen. Staire full of debris and lift better not to take it due to the continuos power failure in Calabar. Rooms are very sad and there is not value for the paid price. No accessories, bulbs broken, poor fittings, squalid accessories. No prompt respons from room service, house keeping which never answered the calls and I had to pass trough the reception, delay on services. Food at restaurant with terrible test. No dishes for expatriated and the nigerian dishes, according with my business associates, were poorly done with mix up os spices and basic elements. Towels in the bathroom are strog like sandpaper. Lack of information at the front office. I was in a room were also rats were accomodated. I was moved in a better room under the roof but was not possible to sleep due the lack of congrete slab. Only a poor ceiling was devided my hear from the roof sheets and the rain heating the roof sheets made with is noise my sleep impossible. I was moved to another room. The WC was so near the wall that was not possible for me to seat on it and the jacuzzi, of course, was not working. Getting pressure from water taps was an utopia. No drinks in the frigobar in the room. One nigth I tried to call room service or reception since I was a little feeling of food. No aswer. I went down were I found the waiter sleeping on the restaurant on top of the buffet table. Believe me a terrible stay.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank pierdelouis
Brighton, England
Reviewed June 30, 2010

On th surface this hotel appears very plush, and I''m sure the newer parts are lovely but on my first evening I disturbed a rat scruttling round the bathroom. They moved me to a second room, for me to be sitting on my bed a night later and yet another rat ran across the bedroom floor. A colleague also saw a rat in a corridor run unser a room door.

They upgraded me to a better room for my remaining two nights, but not without a bit of an argument as they wanted to charge me more but relented.

The resturant is amusing as they bizarrely operate two menus, much of which is not available, specially at breakfast. I ordered 'vegetarian fajitas' and got exactly the same food as the 'asian stir fried vegetables' and oddly came with deep-fried noodles. They insisted this was definitely a fajita!

Friendly enough staff and the rooms are comfortable if you find a rodent-free one.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank melita666
Lagos
Reviewed August 5, 2009

I stayed at this hotel from 4th-5th August 2009. My room was about $150 a night. Check in was ok. My room was on the newly renovated block. Quite decent, with flat screen TV.

The room service lady was particularly friendly and eager to please. The room had a fridge, a reading desk and table. The bed was ok with pretty beddings. Knowing how difficult it is to find a decent hotel in this country, I would rate my experience as satisfactory

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank MissMot
New York
Reviewed January 8, 2008

I was in Calabar for a week and stayed at Channel View.
Nigerians are extremely courteous, and I found this behavior
exhibited in the staff. They will accomodate as much as possible
whenever possible.
The main lobby is small but pristine, comfortably furnished and large enough to accomodate the moderate traffic. Opposite the registration desk is a large flat screen TV displaying world news continually. Check-in was quick, friendly, and efficient.
The hotel was clean throughout and looked to be recently built.
While a multitude of stairs provided access to other floors, there
were no elevators.
The studio room I had was more spacious than expected,
clean, and well furnished with a comfortable double bed, TV,
room refrigerator, comfortable furniture, coffee service, and
adequate air conditioning. Rooms were not sound proof because of a small gap between the floor and one series of
outside window panes.
With apparently new fixtures, the bathroom served its purpose
except for the weak water pressure in the toilet and shower
(gravity-fed water), resulting in the toilet inadequately flushing at times.
The small dining room boasted of a unique and immaculate
beauty. Unfortunately for foreigners, the Nigerian menu left only a little room for a few American, British, and French dishes.
Security was excellent! Hotel staff manned each floor 24/7, and
the two main gates were manned by either staff or Nigerian soldiers constantly. A thick concrete wall surrounded the property.

• Liked — Security
  • Disliked — Bathroom in room
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Godstraveler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calabar
Transcorp Hotels
#4 of 8 in Calabar
Le Meridien Ibom Hotel & Golf Resort
Calabar Harbour Resort & Spa
520 Hotels Asdam Lodge & Spa

Been to Channel View Hotel? Share your experiences!