“Nice one”

Ranked #12 of 46 Calabar B&B and Inns
enugu
“Nice one”
Reviewed July 18, 2014

The first impression I got was a good and lasting one, I guess It rubbed off on every other thing. the reception was very warm and effective, my room was neat and the food was really tasty and affordable. The two nights I spent was worth every amount I spent.

• Stayed July 2014

Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Reviewed May 22, 2014

I have stayed here twice and will go back next time in Calabar. The rooms are clean and adequately serviced, as usual the finish of the bathrooms could be better but this is a problem with most middle of the road hotels in Nigeria. Having said that the shower over bath was good and never ending supply of hot water.
Restaurant service is slow but again seems to be the norm in Nigeria. Nice outside pool and poolside bar where you can watch sport. Staff throughout are well trained and pleasant.
Plenty of parking places and easy access to central business and leisure areas of Calabar.

Book early for the annual Christmas Carnival.

Room Tip: Rear rooms have pool view, front overlook main car park.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Trev2715
Lagos, Nigeria
Reviewed May 18, 2014

I checked in after making a phone reservation. The hotel is located along a major highway, quite accessible for people doing business in the city. Front desk service was prompt, and there is ample parking space. Wifi is fairly good in certain areas of the hotel. NIce pool, gym is just OK too. Bathrooms were just OK too, though I wished the bath towels could be fresher; they were hard and crusty, and even had a minor bruise using them.
I moved into my first room. Yes, because it was the first of the three different rooms I was moved into after one anomaly or the other in the previous rooms. First room: no window blinds. Room occupant could be clearly seen by an outside observer, not to mention sunlight heat streaming through the transparent glass windows. I should add the air-conditioning too was not working. I was moved.
Second room: it was good, blinds in place, air-conditioning was good too.The robe closet was broken. I had a comical moment when I hung my clothes and the closet door came crashing down. After my first night, I noticed a pungent cigarette smoke odour in the room, which was quite disturbing since I am allergic to cigarette smoke. The smell so persisted that I assumed it must be filtering into my room from an adjoining room. Moved.
Third and final room. Set-up was same as my previous rooms. Though no cloth hangers, worse still, the air-conditioning was not working. At this time I was fed up with calling the front desk so I went up there and explained my problem. A repair guy came and 'fixed' it. But no there was no noticeable change in the air-conditioning. I just had to stop complaining and check out from the hotel. Just one more annoying situation: I was told I was entitled to a complimentary breakfast on my room rate. But after ordering breakfast, I was charged. Only for them to explain what my complimentary breakfast' meant. Lesson: Don't believe everything you hear. Would I recommend this hotel? No, certainly not in the condition I met this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Calabar hotels

Lagos, Nigeria
Reviewed May 4, 2014

The Service in AXARI is unacceptable for a Hotel like that.

Especially in the pool bar area. every evening you must wait for a long time that someone is coming to serve you!! Nobody of their Service employee is really interested to do their Job.
And when your drink is served you are forgotten. You as a guest have to stand up to call the workers. UNBEARABLE!!!!!

This is the last time i stay there. NO RECOMMENDATION

Room Tip: Go to another Hotel. There is a lot of choice in Calabar.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank Edem D
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Reviewed March 2, 2014

This is Nigeria. You are never going to get perfection or real value for money. But compared to most hotels in Abuja, this is pretty good. Clean, spacious rooms; wifi; a well kept pool and the best hotel food I've eaten in the country.

OK, so the reception staff can be surly, there is noise from the main road outside and the water in the shower fluctuates from hot to scalding. I'd still happily stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
umuahiababe, Guest Relations Manager at Axari Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Good day Claire,

Axari hotel and suites wishes to thank you for your patronage.
We really do appreciate your stay with us, and hope it was fun filled, relaxing and pleasurable.
Our priority is to give you a satisfactory value for your money.

The hotel wishes to apologize for the unpleasantness of the front office staff.
Be rest assured that measures are being put in place to ensure that it doesn't occur again.

We hope to have you stay with us again during your next visit to Calabar.
We wish you the best in all your endeavors.

With hospitable regards,
Henrietta
Sokoto, Sokoto, Nigeria
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I stayed at the Axari calabar with some friends from the 25th to 28th August 2013. We had booked three rooms and a suite but had to cancel the reservation for the suite ahead of our travel because the fourth person could not travel. The rooms were niece and neat except that my room was close to the generator which made sleep not very pleasant whenever the power supply changed. On arrival the hotel staff said the deposit for the suite which was earlier cancelled will be refunded during checkout but when i checked out on the 28th August , i was told that there was no cash available and that i should leave my account number for the refund to be paid in by cheque, which i did but as i write this on the 5th September, i am yet to receive the refund despite several phone calls. For a hotel of the standard of Axari, that leaves a sour taste in the mouth and for that, i certainly would not go back to that hotel and will not recommend it to another person either.

Room Tip: Rooms at back of hotel are bigger and quieter because of the proximity of the generator to the front...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Steve N
umuahiababe, General Manager at Axari Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Thank you for the review. The points raised were duly noted. I apologise for the delay in the refund, but the refund was paid back one week after you checked out from the hotel. The delay was due to the banking reforms.
The hotel is working towards making sure that refunds are paid back automatically. Thank you
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Rooms that face the swimming pool get a nice view but can be a bit noisy because of the bar. Wi-fi and electricity are reliable compared to the city average. Location is a somehow far from dowtown, which means you may miss some of the town action.

Room Tip: Make sure your room does not have a strong humidity smell in the bathroom.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank YaViaje
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calabar
Transcorp Hotels
Scholet Suites Hotel
#4 of 8 in Calabar
520 Hotels Asdam Lodge & Spa
Calabar Harbour Resort & Spa

Been to Axari Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!