“Best trip ever!”

Frangipani Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in West End Village
Reviewed February 11, 2012

Service incredible, accommodations immpecable, love the quaintness, excursions extradinory, activities well organized, and felt safe on the island. We will be back every year this is my favorite hotel I have ever stayed at!!!

• Stayed: August 2011

Reviewed January 26, 2012

We are a young European couple and this was our first visit to Anguilla. I researched the Island for a Month before travelling, using Tripadvisor, and I am happy at the reliability of this website...
The hotel is LOVELY!!! Yes the rooms are small if you take the most economic rate (in response to previous critics), yes it is a small hotel, but everything about it was magical. The staff was friendly, the hotel is in great shape and if, like us, you live in a large city and want to escape the freezing weather, there is nothing in the world you can desire more than little spot in paradise; a few metres from the white powder sand and beautiful peaceful water.

The rooms are comfortable, clean, refurbished recently, and as there are no pics of the bathrooms, I can confirm ours was in good shape, basic yet worth a 4star. What I had trouble accepting is the cloudy transparent door of the WC room, and no door between the bathroom and the room- giving no privacy. It is a trend within new modern hotels to have transparent doors where the toilets are, I don't see the point, it's not romantic!! My boyfriend complained about the light in the morning - there was always a little bit of light coming through the blinds.

Otherwise, the room is great, a perfect place for a honeymoon, and to relax with your couple. What I loved were the little details, I really appreciate them - like the carry-lamp that comes in each room provided especially for your romantic midnight walks on the beach.
The beach is breathtaking. It was such a wonderful feeling to have the beach just a few steps away from your room door, not many hotels have that.

On the beach you are basically alone - your beach chairs are metres from other couples, giving you space and intimacy. It is quiet, only the sound of waves.

If you are bored from suntanning, the walk on Meads Bay is breathtaking. Last but not least, the hotel offers all kinds of complimentary watersports! We loved the hotel's watersports guys! There are three of them, cool, fun; we had a great time chatting to them, they are adorable! They took us wakeboarding and on the most wonderful boat trip ever to Sandy Island. We were lucky the owner of the hotel was visiting that weekend and he wanted to treat us- too us on the boat to Johnno's in Sandy Ground for some live soul music, and then to Little bay (only accessable by boat). Talk about personalised service!!! You can only get those kind of treats from small intimate hotels like Frangipani!

What we loved most, (apart from the most beautiful beaches), was how nice the people are. Maybe I spent too many years living in Paris, but the people in Anguilla (compared to St Martin for e.g.) are EXTREMELY nice. Even the guests at the hotel, it was obvious that everyone was happy and enjoying. We met some wonderful people. I was so upset to leave!

What is also great about the Island, especially the Frangpani Resort, was that we came across litterally no BlingBling. For those looking for a Carribbean St. Tropez, maybe St Barths' would suite them more. We met no Europpeans at all, this Island is a wonderfully kept secret! Only classy Americans and New Yorkans seeking peace and relaxation. I am really hoping it stays that way because it is what maked this Island so special!

Another suggestion - the neighbour hotel, Viceroy, would suite a more "ultra-luxury, modern" seeking crowd. It is much more populated, and contrary to the photos, it is HUGE, more like a city on a cliff, with beauuuutiful views, and great friendly service despite the size, but no where close to the personalised, intimate Frangipani. They both attract completely different crowds, it really depends what you are looking for.

Room Tip: We had a no-view room. It was absolutely fine, the beach is yours anyways (a few steps away)
7  Thank AGdahan
Reviewed January 25, 2012

My husband and I got married at the Frangipani over Thanksgiving weekend 2011. We had never been to the Frangipani, let alone Anguilla. Jan, Kenecia and the rest of the staff at the Frangipani made our stay and wedding absolutely perfect. The resort grounds are extremely well kept as are the rooms. My husband and I stayed in both the luxury no-view room and the penthouse. Both were spectacular. The rooms are large, with a great bathroom. The penthouse has a grand feel with a spectacular view. The beach is perfect. It's remote with few guests and a long stretch of beach great for walks. Water access is great, all sand. The Straw Hat Restaurant on the resort site, run independently by Peter Parles, has superb food and a great breakfast menu. The view each morning from the patio is fantastic. When we did wander out of the resort we were within walking distance to several restaurants. We did rent a car on the island and it was delivered to the resort for us, it's not necessary to rent a car, but if you'd like to see other areas on the island it's much cheaper and easier to get around. Taxis can add up quickly.

Overall we can't wait to go back and wish Anguilla was closer to our hometown of Seattle!

Room Tip: This resort is great if you're travelling with a large party. Rooms can be joined together to cr...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank pliskova
Reviewed January 24, 2012

This is our 3rd trip to Anguilla and our 2nd time at The Frangipani. It just keeps getting better. This time we went with another couple and stayed in a 2 bedroom suite with balconys and a too die for view. We had the 1 bedroom suite and they had an adjoining room. Their room was very large and comfortable and we all shared the gorgeous living room and kitchen which were part of our suite. It worked out perfectly. The rooms had recently been repainted and had all new cushions, pillows, bedcovers, paintings, etc. It was luxurious and beautiful but with a Caribbean flavor. We travel a lot and I am so tired of the same old white on white. The limestone floors, granite countertops, mahogany cabinets and large glass mosaic showers just add to the elegance. Free wi-fi too. The resort had also added some new cushy lounge chairs and seating out by the pool, beachbar and reception area. So nice...We spent lots of time at the beach and around the pool. Straw Hat had a great waiter ( Jose) and waitress (?) who came down to the beach and pool area and took our cocktail as well as food orders and then served us on the beach. Never had to move except to get in the water. Ate at Straw Hat, Jacala, Barrel Stay, Davidas, On Da Rocks, (new) and Picante. All were excellent. Smokeys for lunch and music on Sat. was good as ever as well as Johnnos for jazz on Sun. Went to Blanchards new beachshack restaurant for lunch. It was good, inexpensive and fun to be able to walk down the beach for lunch and then swim- walk home.Took advantage of all the free watersports again. The beachboys were great and always ready to help.. All 4 of us wanted to go sailing so they took us on 2 Hobies and we raced each other. The tubing was a laugh and watching my husband and friend learn to water ski was quite entertaining also.We loved the new boutique they just opened. There were sooo many interesting and beautiful things. My friend and I did some major shopping there. All of the staff was so warm and helpful as always. Jan and Alex treated us like old friends. Everyone really makes you feel special! It's a unique resort and the very best. Can't wait to go back! Our friends are now in love with it too.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank bridgette41
Reviewed January 19, 2012

My wife and I have visited many Caribbean Islands and stayed at many high-end hotels. We loved the Frangipani "experience". First, it is steps from the room to the pool to the beach. Second, you feel almost as if you are alone on this island when you want to be, or talking to a new friend if you want. There is no need to reserve a spot by the pool or on the beach, go to either place whenever you want, plenty of lounge choices. Third, the one thing I did not see mentioned in any reviews before I went, they have beach/pool drink service so while they do provide water bottles, you don't have to leave your seat if you just want to lounge and be served (our preference), and you can have lunch/snacks served too. Fourth, Water sports are included and Bernard, well all I can say is that Bernard is THE MAN. He doesn't pressure you to do anything you don't want to do, but his enthusiasm might get you to do something that you might have shied away from. For example, it had been 10 years since I had been water skiing, thought the ocean might not be the place to take my next ski, but Bernard gave me a little pep speech, then he and another guy took me out and it was a blast.

We stayed in room 4a, a junior suite. The bedroom was large with en-suite bathroom. In addition it has a living room, 4 person round dining table area, kitchen and another full bathroom with washer/dryer. It is a very large end unit, bottom floor closest to the Straw Hat. Another reviewer commented that the bottom floor rooms are less secure. True, but we never locked the door because who is there to steal your stuff? My wife is really picky about locking our home, but she was comfortable enough to leave our room unlocked even when we went out for our daily 1 hour runs. During the day while we hung out, there is no need to lock your room. We only locked up when we left the resort. And the bottom floor view of the ocean is just as nice as the second floor because the rooms are only a pool width from the beach. Loved it.

Two other things I want to mention. We had heard about issues with bugs, but I never saw anything in the reviews. We didn't see one flying insert on the whole island. Bugs were not an issue for us - not even a thought. Second, this property was recently refurbed so much of it looks brand new. They did a great job.

This is a small boutique hotel at its best.We will recommend to anybody who is looking for this kind of experience. Quiet, relaxed, pampered, recharged. Oh, and we had a couples message on the beach - fantastic!

2  Thank Tom F
Reviewed January 18, 2012

The Frangipani is a slice of Heaven and it is hard to put into words the joy that this place brought to our lives. We live in Hawaii so when we tell people about our travels, places that we go are judged based on that. When we arrived at Frangipani we were welcomed by a very warm and friendly staff. The staff actually looked a little hurt when I told them that I could handle our bags. They seemed to genuinely care about our happiness throughout the entire stay with them. The Frangipani is not huge but it seems like it was designed to offer you a view regardless of where you are at on their property. Whether you long for beach activities (they offer a multitude for free), soaking up the sun on the beach under their palm leave cabanas or at the pool on their plush chairs, or enjoying a romantic walk along a beautiful beach this place has it all. They say that you come as guests and leave as friends, and it is 110% true. The staff takes their service to a whole new level and ensures that you enjoy every minute of your stay. When we drove away we could tell that we left a piece of our heart with them. We will surely visit again.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 5, 2012

I was visiting Anguilla for the first time with my girlfriend and her parents. We had a great time here. The resort was small and quiet. The on-site restaurant (Straw Hat) was very good (excellent food - particularly the Snapper Ceviche and Spicy Fish Sandwich - with good but not great service), and offered a great value. The Frangipani had very friendly, helpful, and attentive staff. The beach and pool area were beautiful and almost completely empty all day, leading to a very relaxing atmosphere. It is a close beach walk to other popular destinations (the Viceroy, Jacala, Blanchard's), and a short drive to others (Cap Juluca, Sandy Island boat shuttles). The rooms were nice, but not quite on par with those of a 5-star resort. This was fine as we barely spent any time there.

Room Tip: It's a small resort - I would call and speak to them about your trip to get their sense of what...
3  Thank stantongk21
Zemi Beach House, Hotel & Spa
Zemi Beach House, Hotel & Spa
#1 of 3 in Shoal Bay Village
Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla
Four Seasons Resort and Residenc...
#3 of 13 in West End Village

Been to Frangipani Beach Resort? Share your experiences!