“Nice and affordable with wonderful service!”

Anacaona Boutique Hotel
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in West End Village
PA
“Nice and affordable with wonderful service!”
Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I had a one night stay recently in one of the Superior Rooms. The rooms are adequate and clean; all white washed with lots of windows. The bathrooms are also adequate with a nice large shower. Lighting in the room is not abundant however, but when I mentioned this in the survey the hotel asked me to complete they said they are aware and plan to remedy this. I truly believe the manager's and owner's want to make the Anacaona an affordable option for visitors and seem to be committed to this goal. The check-in was seamless and they granted us a late check out upon our request. The desk clerk even let me print our boarding passes using her office computer.

We also enjoyed the complimentary manager's cocktail party that we happened upon as we stayed on a Monday night. We did not sample the food, but did use the beach chairs and lobby bar. Mead's Bay has some big waves for body surfing and a few other restaurant choices within walking distance of the Anacaona.

We would definitely recommend the hotel as an affordable option on the island of Anguilla.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Scalise

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Polish first
Rye, NY
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Just back from a short trip to Anguilla, my first trip to the island. It's true what they say about the people: Anguillans are incredibly friendly and genuinely nice, and that's what's best about the Anacaona. The staff are all welcoming and want to make your stay memorable. This intangible, the top-notch food and relatively good rate more than offset any concerns re the just-okay adequacy of the rooms and overall decor. Would return!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
franky1956, Director of Sales at Anacaona Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thank you for your review and we do hope to see you back again soon! All the best for 2013! So glad that you enjoyed your stay.
New York
Reviewed December 4, 2012

I stayed at the Anacaona in late November, and it fully lived up to my expectations. The contrast to the Viceroy next door couldn't be greater, but more on that later. The best thing about the Anacaona is the warm and wonderful group of people there, who truly embody the friendly spirit of the Caribbean that so many islands lay claim to (I'm looking at you St. Maarten) but no longer deliver in this age of mass tourism. The hotel is small enough that they can know every guest immediately, and they actually really do care about you and about the quality of your stay. I have never been so warmly welcomed at check-in and was made to feel like a long-lost friend or relative; I can't speak highly enough of Raquel and Kenisha and their team of charming staff. I had many questions before arriving and many issues that arose while I was there, from initial transportation options all the way to locking myself out of my safe just before leaving, and no matter how trivial, all were addressed promptly and with genuine warmth and smiles in abundance.

The property is simple and not high-luxe; but offers enormous charm. It's a terrific value for the price, especially on this insanely expensive island - Anguilla is lovely but not for the faint of wallet. My room was very nice, with a view of the grounds, and a large terrace (but beware the nocturnal no-see-ums, as everywhere in the Caribbean!) and the hotel's custom-made soaps are the most amazingly scented things I have ever been given as hotel toiletries! I didn't want to come out of the shower!

A word of caution for those who need to work while on vacation - there are coffee tables and chairs, but no desks in the rooms. This threw me initially but once again, as soon as I asked if we could do anything so I could work, Raquel had arranged for a table and chair from the restaurant to be brought to my room as a workspace. The lesson here of course is that you shouldn't be working when you come to Anguilla, but seriously, they are truly concerned about making your stay as fulfilling as possible and I was told that they are considering arranging for desks to be incorporated into the rooms in future. The hotel is still in transition from being the former La Sirena, and so tweaks continue to be made - e.g. the room keys and phones still have Sirena's name on them. Be aware in fact that the keys are old-fashioned manual keys attached to tags with the hotel's old name and the current room number on them, so it's a little unnerving to consider the prospect of losing them or leaving them with your things on the beach while swimming or walking, but that improvement can come with time as well.

The hotel restaurant is charming, as is the waitstaff, and the new chef has some excellent dishes up his sleeve. I loved the tomato pie, and the molten chocolate cake, which has become a ho-hum menu item in so many places, was absolutely the best I have ever eaten! Prices are very reasonable for the islands, and the meal plan isn't really even necessary - I found that I could have spent less eating a la carte from the menu, especially as there were some evenings that I didn't want a full-course meal. And the staff encourage you to go off-property occasionally to explore others of Anguilla's excellent restaurants instead of only eating at Firefly - another example of the charming attitude of the place.

It's nice to have two pools at a property this size, and the smaller pool is a great place to spend an hour or two for someone who wants some solitude as no one ever seems to be there. The pool furniture is new, comfortable, and looks sleek; though it would be a nice addition to have a few pool toys (e.g. rafts to float on, pool noodles) for guests to use at the pool. A few of us noticed that the pools were a little cloudy during my stay, and this made them a little less inviting than might otherwise have been the case, but I did see them being cleaned and treated, so I assume that this a small fix to the chlorination levels, easily made.

The much-discussed walk to the beach is a matter of 5-7 minutes, depending on your speed, as I timed it measured from the fountain in the central courtyard, and with a twisted ankle. In other words, don't let it put you off - and you need the walk to walk off the delicious food. :) Remember that in many large resorts you would be walking just as far from room to beach; and in any event, the first half of the walk is through the hotel grounds and gardens, which are lush, nicely tended, with fruit trees, mature coconut palms, and best of all, several hammocks strung casually along the way, that can easily end up distracting you from your objective of reaching the beach.

Just past the lower pool, the path emerges into a public right of way, and it is this part of the walk that some people find unattractive, as it's not part of the hotel. Still, it feels like an island back road, which has its own charm, and the final stretch is simply a path bounded by the wall surrounding the Viceroy property. Once you reach the beach, the hotel has abundant loungers and umbrellas for its guests, as well as bar and lunch service, including absolutely HUGE hamburgers. The eager staff runs to and fro to take care of you, keeping you from ever having to leave your chair, except to get in the water.

Do be aware that though Meads Bay is beautiful and a wonderful beach for walking, it is on the unprotected northern side of the island, and can be quite rough at certain times of year. South shore beaches are calmer and generally the place to settle yourself if you are looking for that mirror-calm sea of Caribbean fantasy. If you are happy to body-surf or boogie board, or just frolic in the waves, Meads is lovely - but the undertow can be significant and it may not be good swimming for children or people who are not at ease in higher surf.

Sharing the western end of Meads Bay with Anacaona is the Viceroy, and unfortunately in my estimation the Viceroy is the only thing wrong with the Anacaona. The properties are adjacent, but on the beach there is no separation at all, and the Viceroy guests spill over into the Anacaona's chairs, and its guests' tranquility. The Viceroy wants to be South Beach on an island where roosters still wander around crowing in the morning, and it attracts a crowd of loud and sometimes obnoxious big-money party types - yes, NYC/New Jersey types, my neighbors at home, and not the people I went to Anguilla looking to bump into. There was some friction during my stay, and the properties' management are trying to negotiate a peaceful co-existence; but I wasn't thrilled about the proximity. Still, you can make lemons out of lemonade - Anacaona has no beachside restrooms, but the Viceroy does, and once you wander into their grounds for whatever reason, their beachside pool is right there and easily accessible. I'll leave it at that. :-)

Anguilla could not be more different from Dutch St. Maarten, the easiest point of access, and the Anacaona is virtually the embodiment of traditional Anguilla, low-key, radiating the sunny spirit of the island, and making every guest feel like a member of the family. It's ideal for blase Caribbean travelers who want a new experience, and for Caribbean newbies who want a genuine, non-corporate, non-predatory place to visit and stay within a reasonable budget. I just hope that too many people don't fall in love with it and make it impossible to get a room in the years ahead!

Best to all of you there!

Mark

Room Tip: If you can't climb stairs you should know that upper floors are accessible by stairs only.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
12 Thank Mark K
Hi Mark, Hope that you had a good holiday Season and thank you so much for the wonderful informative review. I think that I may have to use some of it in my sales & marketing of Anacaona! I do hope that we get to see you again in the near future. From a fellow native New Yorker have a great 2013!
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Great value, comfortable. On the best beach in the world and a short walk to the second-best beach. Excellent restaurants nearby. Very helpful, friendly staff. This is a place to go to for peace and quiet.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank HappyTraveller0406
Dear Happy! Thank you so much for the review and we are glad that you enjoyed yourself. All the best for 2013 and hopefully we will see you back in the near future.
Big A
Reviewed November 29, 2012

We spent 4 nights here and hung out at viceroy for sunset cocktails. I'm glad we did it that way. While viceroy is in a different league on class and sophistication it is HUGE and full with yuppie new Yorkers. Coming from the big apple ourselves we wanted solitude and good beach time. At the beach if you look left there are about 100 beach beds full of new Yorkers (the viceroy section). Look right and there are 10 from anacaona with personalized beach service.
The anacaona hotel is not perfect on detail but for what we were looking for it fit the bill perfectly. Speaking of bills, it is 100pct value -- the rooms are vey comfortable and the service is simply outstanding. They really make an effort to please their guests. Worth repeating. Very refreshing to find a place like this in an over the top island like ang. I can't say enough good things about this place. If you're looking to be seen (and see... ) then viceroy is it. Don't get me wrong, viceroy is also very, very nice and probably one of the best properties I have ever seen, but just different vibe

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank rm992
Frank P, Director of Sales at Anacaona Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Big A thank you so much for such a wonderful comparison and we are glad that you enjoyed your stay and from this fellow Native New Yorker we hope to see you back soon!
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed November 28, 2012

My wife and I have never been received or had anyone been so warm , sincere and accommodating as the staff at this hotel. While the accommodations are simple they provide everything you need or want . If its not here the staff will arrange for it without a long story. A small hotel where you relax immediately upon your arrival. The restaurant provides adequate portions of a variety of cuisines on different nights.we hesitate to publicly announce the beauty of the people and accommodations . We strongly recommend this diamond!!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Drooks1
Thank you so much for your wonderful review we do hope that you get to return to Anacaona & Anguilla in the near future and spend more time with our wonderful staff. Best regards from all of us at Anacaona.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Anacaona is value for money, liaising with FunTime providing value transport between St Martin and Anguilla,($80 return, excluding the taxi on the Anquilla-side, which is $18 one-way). We(my daughter and I) were wedding guests at The Viceroy, but stayed at Anacoana next door, which is much cheaper; and so experienced the two worlds: the local and the cosmopolitan. During day time we stayed on the beach which the two hotels share, but ate and drank at the Viceroy with relatives. Their breakfast buffet costs $30, serving wide range of choice; chefs cooking hot food right in front of you, and eat as much as you like! The reception hall and adjacent Sunset Lounge kind of grand, with spectacular views. We loved our stay, in both hotels, you may say; time past quickly, like a dream. Take a torch, in mid-November the sun sets at 5:30 p.m. and the world immediately plunged into darkness! We walked back nightly along the beach, using the cell phone's torch. First we worried about the security, but it was a short walk, and the Bamboo restaurant (of the Viceroy)right on the beach front, providing some security. Wear shoes/sandals walking down the beach-path, there are sharp stones. They provides mosquito repellent but it did not work on my daughter; try instead the one they sell at the shop (Zazza?), in dark-blue glass bottle costs $20, works both as repellent and healing agent. And what about Anacaona? The door-lock and the loo did not quite work, but as soon as we reported them, they immediately sent someone up to change the lock and fix the loo. We are happy with the room, though our sense of cleanliness is of a higher standard. We could not sit outside on the balcony because of the mosquitoes;and our room facing the restaurants, etc., so we had to have the curtains drawn all day, or anyone looking up can see us, mostly getting in and out of the bathroom getting dressed! The hotel staff were very friendly, their web-site very useful, any questions you ask they reply promptly. Some of the food advertised not available where we were there, probably because we were early in the season.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the public area, where people can easily see you; and you have to keep rem...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Zemi Beach House, Resort & Spa
Zemi Beach House, Resort & Spa
#1 of 3 in Shoal Bay Village
Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla
Four Seasons Resort and Residenc...
#4 of 13 in West End Village
#3 of 13 in West End Village
Cap Juluca
Cap Juluca
#5 of 13 in West End Village

Been to Anacaona Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!