“Wonderful honeymoon stay.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Anacaona Boutique Hotel
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in West End Village
“Wonderful honeymoon stay.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights on our island hopping through the Caribbean. The hotel is beautiful. For Anguilla, this is a great value! The staff are friendly and the resort quiet and close to the beach. They management gave us a nice surprise gift for our honeymoon. Absolutely loved the buffet dinner during the folk show. Will definitely return.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

I had a short business trip to Anguilla and stayed at the Anacaona hotel by recommendation. I was told exactly what I would get, came with those expectations and that is exactly what I got. (MyAnguillaVacation) Great value, service and overall a great stay. The grounds are very clean, rooms are spacious and clean, beach is the best and the amenities are great. I'm surprised at the low rates this property charges. Highly recommend for solo travelers, budget conscious, and family too actually. I saw their Villas and they have a great setup. Anguilla is a beautiful, under developed and yet to be popular destination. Get here while you can, or better yet, keep it a secret!

Room Tip: They have a free upgrade special on right now
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank itravelboutique
Glastonbury, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

We stayed at the Anacaona Boutique Hotel in June of 2012. The staff were all very accommodating and friendly. This hotel tends to be the least expensive in Anguilla and it is definitely worth the stay. The hotel, although an older property, is clean and well kept. The hotel is very peaceful and quiet and a quick walk to the beautiful beaches of Anguilla. We hope to be back again next year! many thanks to all the staff!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank bnicki
frankystrand, Director of Sales at Anacaona Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, July 28, 2012
You are most welcome and we do hope to see you back soon and Thank you for the kind words.
Gaithersburg, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

My husband and I spent the first 5 nights of our 11-day trip at Anacaona. Prior to the trip we were very impressed with the hotel's responsiveness to our emails. We'd requested a ground floor studio suite by email and by phone and had been told the request had been noted. When we checked in, we realized that we had been upgraded to a 3rd floor ocean view suite. While grateful, we declined. We were placed in Suite 105 that more than met our needs - close to the parking lot and relatively close to the reception area and restaurant. Pretty much all Anacaona suites have some steps to go up and down. Our ground floor suite had about 6 steps to go up/down if I recall. To get to the reception/restaurant/gift shop there are about 10 steps to go up. The beach is about 10 minutes walk to Meads Bay. Coming back it is up a slight incline.

Our first night at Anacaona was a bit rough because around midnight our A/C unit began to leak. With our camera, cell phones and e-readers nearby, we went into panic mode. Luckily, we eventually had to put a trash can under the A/C unit, which meant we heard the drips even louder. First thing in the am I called the front desk and I was assured that someone would come by to check on it. By the time we returned from breakfast, the dripping was gone. It appears that we’d been placed in a room that had not been checked by maintenance prior to moving us in. No matter, staff were prompt in dealing with the problem.

We'd won an auction for our 5 night stay at Anacaona. For the price we paid it was a steal of a deal on pricey Anguilla. Our auction was for a studio suite. Our suite had a mini fridge, TV, 2 dressers, king bed and patio. As others have mentioned most days the chickens were crowing at 4 or 5 am. If you're a light sleeper, this could be a problem.

Meads Bay
I know that Meads has its fans. While not bad, Meads was a bit more vigorous (wave-wise) than we'd prefer. The section of beach closest to Anacaona is wide, has powdery sand and umbrellas and chairs. However, even with umbrellas there is limited shade - at least less than we'd prefer.

Firefly Restaurant
We ate at Firefly for dinner our first night and 4 days we had breakfast there. Dinner was OK, breakfast was perfectly fine. I was bummed that because of low-occupancy the Anguillan breakfast was not available. Most days we had juice, coffee, French toast, pancakes (homemade, not from a mix!), sausage or bacon. We had hoped to do the Thursday night buffet dinner with the show, but didn't make it. Since I was in bed and tired most nights by 8pm, we skipped it. Maybe on a future trip.

Gift Shop - ZaZaa
The gift shop at Anacaona is called ZaZaa and I loved it! It has some of the cutest items. Even better, Anacaona guests get 15% off everything they buy - even at other ZaZaa locations! I managed to fit in stops to two of the stores -- at Anacaona and the main store in South Hill.

Mosquitoes and Bugs
Since we forgot our nightlight at home we left our bathroom light on when we went to sleep. This of course led to numerous tiny bugs. We assume they were attracted to the bathroom light. I still don't know what those bugs were. In any event, my DH found a super product called HotShot on Amazon and it worked like a charm. Their bodies were all dead in the bathroom each morning. We didn't get bitten at all because we closed the bathroom door each night.

Internet
The WiFi at Anacaona was great! No matter the time of day we could usually access the Internet pretty quickly and service was consistent.

Pros
• Pleasant staff
• Good West End location
• Nice beach (Meads is not one our faves, but it is a perfectly good option for those who prefer more waves)
• Reliable Internet service
• Attractive property with lots of flowers and greenery
• Breakfast served daily even during low occupancy
• Great soaps made in Anguilla – I hoarded mine and asked for more ;-)
• Large safe (wish more US hotels offered in-room safes)
• Discount at ZaZaa

Cons
• Noisy chickens crowing (I know it adds to the folksy environment but it is not guest-friendly to light sleepers)
• Walk from beach to hotel (5-10 minutes) is somewhat uphill
• The broken screen in our bathroom allowed bugs to get in. Our bug killer killed them so they could not get to our beds. That said, we’re not the first guests to mention this in a Tripadvisor review. Our maid would clean up dozens of the carcasses from the sink daily, so they do know the extent of the problem.

We were fortunate to spend our 5 remaining nights at another property – Paradise Cove (will be reviewed separately). If we had to choose we would probably choose Paradise Cove, primarily because we were upgraded to a one bedroom suite which gave us significantly more room than the studio we had at Anacaona. I mention this just to say that Anacaona, like Paradise Cove, offers a worthwhile budget-friendly alternative on pricey Anguilla.

If you have any questions, feel free to send me a PM. If you found this review helpful please click "yes" below. Happy travels!

Room Tip: Be specific about your room needs prior to arrival. Keep in mind that almost all rooms (and common...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
11 Thank trinigirlmd
NEW YORK, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

Where do I begin.

We have been to Anguilla so many times , and have stayed everywhere including private villas.
With each visit we enjoyed our stays, and came home longing for our return, and we would discuss where we might try to stay the next time. We stayed at Malliouhana the longest in return visits, but after our stay at Anacaona , we have found our home for all future visits.

Our biggest thrill was meeting Sue and Robin Ricketts, because we have experienced their perfection in previous stays at other resorts. When you walk the grounds of Anacaona , you see first hand the personal touch of Sue and Robin--the gardens--beautiful, and extremely well maintained. The pools are immaculate , and were updated to perfect condition, and you could always count on a wonderful, clean swim after a full day at the beach. You got the feeling that this was your own personal pool ! Hammocks are everywhere, and a delight to lay on when you were feeling truly relaxed--which was every moment we were there. The staff , unbelievable in every way. I would be rich if I had a nickel for every time they would respond with--" we want to make your stay comfortable and enjoyable."

We stayed in a Junior Suite, which was absolutely, positively perfect in everything that we wanted. Large Jacuzzi tub in the bathroom, shower with great water pressure ( plenty of hot water) and double sink vanities.
The bed was the most comfortable bed we have ever experienced anywhere. The frette linens were just the right softness--making a good nights sleep a certainty.

The beach lounge chairs were always set up with the umbrellas open--ready to be used. We are early risers and have very rarely experienced that. A young lady sat at the beach hut always ready to bring you a fresh drink, or lunch.And if you needed something they were quick to accomodate you.

Because someone had reserved our room for the last 2 nights of our stay we moved to a 2 bedroom villa, and we toured the 3 bedroom villa--as we always look ahead to our future visits with family. I LOVED the set up of both--bedrooms private and seperated in a screened in porch with lounge chairs, and the common area --extremely comfortable with flat screened TV( each bedroom also has their own flatscreened TV).

Both the Junior Suite and the 2 bedroom villa have patios-- which was our favorite spot each morning for coffee and each evening for a post beach cool drink.

I made a request for a grill, as I bring some meats from the states--it was waiting for me when we arrived on our first day.We love all the restaurants of Anguilla--but when we stay at the beach for sunset we enjoy a home cooked meal.

The weekly cocktail party on Monday evening was wonderful. They served us the drinks of our choice---and the servers watched you and would bring a replacement when you were nearing the bottom of the glass on your first drink. WOW! That is service ! The staff walked among the guests with delicous food.

A good way we can portray this property is that we had friends come to visit us ( they were staying at another property), and they were upset that they hadn't booked Anacaona. We met them on the plane going home, and they stated that they are booking Anacaona in the fall!

They have done everything right here, and it shows in every way.

We always leave Anguilla saying what a wonderful time we had.
After this visit we said it could not have been better--we loved our stay at Anacaona.

As we have always said year in and year out. Anything the Ricketts touch turns to gold or platinum.

It's happened again , and will only get better.

We aren't certain of alot of things, but this is one thing we are 100% certain of.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank JulyNineteen
frankystrand, Director of Sales at Anacaona Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Scott! THANK YOU so much for your wonderful review and we were so happy to have you at Anacaona and back on Anguilla. We do hope that you get the opportunity to come back soon and I am sure that the Grill will be waiting for you again! Robin & Sue send their best and do appreciate the kind words. They look forward to also seeing you again in the near future
Asheville, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

Delightful small boptique resort with an amazing friendly staff. We were allowed to check in early. The gardners are so proud of their gardens and gave us a really nice tour of their gardens. We would definitely stay there again. Anguilla beaches are the best.

Room Tip: We stayed in on of the villas
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Erik S
Erik, we hope to see you back soon to enjoy the garden and the beaches! We are very proud of our gardners and our Garden and the meals that it produces. The staff sends it best to you and they look forward to welcoming you back.
Fort Lee, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2012

We just returned from the hotel. I wanted to mention my pros and cons of what I felt during our stay. Pros: on a beautiful beach - Meads Bay, The Front office Staff and Housekeeping was terrific and always friendly. I only ate one dinner there so I cannot say much about the restaurant experience, as I chose to eat at the many wonderful places on Anguilla. Kenisha at the front office/reservations is wonderful, and really made us feel welcomed upon arrival and during our stay asked us several times how things were. She is very professional and was very helpful from the time I contacted the hotel initially. The lobby or great room area as they call it was nicely done and very inviting. The bed was comfortable, nice flat screen, a/c worked fine, the bathroom was nice, nice soaps made in Anguilla. So for the price point, I didn't expect too much, and everything we needed and have come to expect was provided ie (Mellita coffee maker, fridge, in room safe). They had two small pools on property, which were ok, but I didn't come to the Anguilla to swim in the pool so I didn't mind.

The Cons: We were woken up every morning at 5:30 am by a loud rooster sometimes 4:30 am, which we began to joke about that it was time to get up!!! Poor water pressure in shower, the toilet was loose from the floor a bit, some small tears in screens in the small windows which should be repaired, balcony door and window facing towards the beach that don't completely shut tightly because the doors are really heavy and very difficult to open and close, mosquitoes in our room due to these two things, which made it a bit unpleasant in terms of many bites. Sliding doors are old and really heavy and annoying. I suspect that is a huge expense, so I don't know that they can or will change that.

Suggestions to improve quality of stay for people: if possible near the small front pool put bathroom facilities closer to the beach, repaint the front pool looks a bit yellowy inside, install ledge in showers to place products on, paint exterior or power wash exterior of buildings more often, clean spider webs off of windows on balcony area and when you open windows lots of spider webs. Regarding your menu for lunch: add a mahi BLT sandwich or some better lunch items to your menu, like mahi tacos, or grouper tacos with mango salsa, snapper over greek salad etc. to entice people to stay on property to eat. Have your restaurant and bar staff more visible, it never seemed as though anyone was at the bar but would come out after you waited a bit. We arrived at 3pm and there was no food available for us, so we had to wait until dinner, which was a little dissapointing after traveling all day. Overall, I enjoyed my stay, and as stated for the price, it was decent, and seems to be a "work in progress"

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank PeaceandLove22
Thank you for your comments and suggestions and we will look into all! including the Rooster who is not on our property but there are a few on the neighboring properties. The suggestions for the restaurant sound fantastic and I myself do enjoy a taco or two! We do serve authentic Caribbean foods but in the future we may change a little as we do update our menu periodically so we will keep your suggestions in mind and we do hope to see you back again so that you can see for yourself the updates and changes in the hotel.
Also consider these accommodations in or near West End Village
Carimar Beach Club
Carimar Beach Club
#2 of 13 in West End Village
Arawak Beach Inn
Arawak Beach Inn
#1 of 4 in Island Harbour
Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla
Four Seasons Resort and Residenc...
#4 of 13 in West End Village
Malliouhana, An Auberge Resort
Malliouhana, An Auberge Resort
#1 of 13 in West End Village
CuisinArt Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Anacaona Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!