Tripadvisor
West End Village
All reviews sorbet beautiful beach villa host beach service maunday's bay our honeymoon beach attendants the main house each morning beach chairs star resort bottled water junior suite rum punch private patio white sand cool towels
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Around December 3rd, 2020 we went to scout out this resort for our next vacation. The staff were friendly and we were met at the top of the stairs by Fernanda who advised us we could tour the facility after we advised her why we were there. The grounds are immaculate and the outside of the buildings are fresh. We didn't get to go in any rooms but all the staff spoke or waved to us as we passed through. When we were done, we decided to stay for lunch. We were seated at a table facing the bay. Our waitress, a pretty colored young lady who has lived in Anguilla her whole life, advised us on the menu and when I told her I was allergic to bell peppers, she went to the kitchen to check if there was any in the dish I wanted to order. I ended up having a lentil type burger which was delicious and my boyfriend had the fish tacos. He just loved them. Our waitress came by a few times and we engaged her in conversation. She was friendly and knew the area well as she lived not far from the resort. She loves working there and we loved speaking with her. She was so friendly and knowledgeable. We love this place as the atmosphere is fantastic and the staff make you feel at home.

Date of stay: January 2020
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank K6830AQsusang
Tiago_Sarmento, General Manager at Belmond Cap Juluca, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear guest

Thank you very much for your review and for noticing some of the touches of service I am most proud of - our Julucan people and our culinary!

We would love to welcome you back anytime at Cap Juluca!

Warm regards,

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This review is somewhat of a comparison pre/post Belmond acquisition and Hurricane. As I mention in the title, the resort is expensive by most standards, though which leads to high expectations, some of which were not met.

1. The beach is stunning, with powdery white sand with no rocks. "Ocean as pristine pool" best describes it because the water clarity is superb. Cap J has always to me been about the beach. That's why you come here. There are few resorts like it in the Caribbean - low density, low-rise, luxurious villas directly on the beach, with no crowds, but not creepy/isolated like some resorts. Step out your door into the sand. To me that's the ultimate and Cap J has that in spades.

Since the hurricane the beach had suffered damage and is not quite as nice as it used to be with erosion/drop-off evident in parts, as well as extensive beach flooding when the surf is up. I don't recall ever experiencing that in past visits. The 2/3 of the beach was unusable for a day because of flooding. That being said, I'd still give the beach a solid 5/5 because the vistas, colors, cleanliness, and quality of the sand make up for it.

2. Rooms much nicer since the Belmond takeover renovation. Bathroom water pressure/hot water issues much improved.

3. We stayed in a ground floor 1-Br Suite. I didn't expect commanding sweeping views from the first floor, but nor did I expect to have most of what view I did have blocked by the back-side of the very unsightly and unkempt bar pavilion near us. From the back, piles of used towels, garbage. Not a big fan of those bar shacks in general. Wish there was another way to provide convenient bar service to guests on the beach without those, but maybe that's the only way.

4. No sargassum seaweed at all to speak of - worth mentioning because it's been a nasty surprise at other destination in the Caribbean over the past few years but thankfully during our trip and at this location it was not present.

5. Breakfast was good, not great. A big improvement since Belmond acquisition. Buffet had most of the usual choices. Of special note were the baked goods. Tons of variety and all delicious. I think they're baked off-site and brought in? Who cares. They're great. Also, try the Mango juice. Everyone commented that it was exceptional. Missed having french toast though. Conspicuously absent. The egg station chef I'm sure would have made up some if asked for, however.

6. The surprise hit was having tapas at Maunday's club. Every single dish was delicious, and creative. I think the setting there is actually more beautiful than Pimms/Cip's.

7. Thanksgiving night Beach Barbeque. It was mostly good, but I do think they could step it up with more choices and better desserts. The setting however was magical being right on the sandy beach.

8. Great selection of toys and non-motorized sports including paddle boards and kayaks, snorkel gear all well-maintained and new.

9. Staff as lovely as ever. Considering the extreme hardship cast on the island over the past couple of years, I never encountered a single person that was anything other than positive, kind, helpful, and thankful. The people here are truly special, which makes the little flaws seemingly unimportant.

10. Wi-Fi coverage ample throughout the property, even at the beach.

Room tip: Ground floor rooms - beware of view blocked by bar cabanas spread along the beach. They're great if you truly want direct beach access.
Date of stay: November 2019
2  Thank R4460KR

Dear reviewer

Thank you very much for sharing your insight on ten bullet points on why you love Cap Juluca or what you would do differently.

If you plan to come back, please do let me know on tiago.sarmento@belmond.com

Warm regards,

tiago

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Perfect vacation on the most beautiful beach in the world. Cap Juluca is better than ever--a true dream come true. We will be back, and hope to make this our regular vacation spot. This was the best vacation we have ever taken in the Caribbean!

Date of stay: January 2020
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
3  Thank LaurieArkinJohnson
Tiago_Sarmento, General Manager at Belmond Cap Juluca, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Dear Laurie Johnson

You are the best guest in the world! And thank you for your review! We so much look forward to welcoming you back!

All the best and wishes of an extraordinary 2020

Reviewed January 11, 2020

There are few places that offer this level of beauty, luxury, security, peace and tranquility. The accommodations, beach, restaurants, spa, staff and service is tops! Tiago, the general manager, has put together a team that can't be beat. For years I stayed at Malliouhana, however I was advised that Belmond did a $120 million dollar renovation, that the beach was spectacular and I should give it a try. The resort exceeded my expectations. Although it is mostly couples and a some families I highly recommend coming by yourself. Having been to almost every island in the Caribbean, Virgin Islands, and Grenadines this is the island I now keep coming back to and the reason is that Cap Juluca offers the best of everything. My congratulations to Tiago and the entire staff for pulling it off. Its sooo good I just booked it again for a week to celebrate my birthday. I can't wait to see everyone and enjoy that beautiful beach, fantastic breakfast, delicious lunch at Maundays, and never leave the property except for some dinners!

Date of stay: November 2019
4  Thank Understatedtraveler
Tiago_Sarmento, General Manager at Belmond Cap Juluca, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2020

Dear understatedtraveler

We feel much honored to read such words. Thank you for sharing those notes online and thank you for coming to Cap Juluca. I dare to feel that Cap Juluca has some healing powers, it is said that the “Arawaks” used to pray to their Gods on this Bay.

Who knows if that is true, however what I truly love is to see the team being recognized for the hard work they put and you being able to rest and unwind from your day to day life. We so much look forward to welcoming you back for tour birthday!

Reviewed December 30, 2019

Great place to relax with the much appreciated Belmond service. Beutiful beach, accomdations and rooms. Breakfast was excellent, dinners were good (some minor flaws) and the beach shack is really cool.

Date of stay: December 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank dave1974568
Tiago_Sarmento, Manager at Belmond Cap Juluca, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2020

It was a pleasure to welcome you and thank you for your review - the last one for 2019!

Wish you all the best for 2020