First of all the summary: Cap Juluca was an exceptional resort, worthy of its five stars, and had an elegance and peacefulness to it that was absent from its main competitor on the island, the Viceroy (which is physically gorgeous but more suited to Miami). Service was excellent, friendly and comfortable. Concierge services were professional and nothing at any point during our stay was a hassle. The resort encompasses a large, pristine horseshoe bay, and is among the most beautiful beaches I've ever enjoyed.
Now the specifics, starting with my concerns. I did a lot of research and had been scared somewhat from reading Anguilla news excerpts about some management and financial battles that involved Cap Juluca. The legal battle wages on but seems to have not affected any aspect of the day to day operations of the resort. No evidence of any dissatisfaction among employees, and the government of Anguilla seems to view CJ as a real feather in its cap. To be perfectly honest, I think this is a non-issue and should be totally ignored.
Secondly, I had heard reports of aging fixtures and decor in the suites, and actually contacted CJ about it prior to booking. They assured me that rooms had been recently updated. When I got there I found that to be true. Linens were fresh and new, and the furniture, with that beautiful Moorish/Caribbean style, was perfectly up to snuff for a top resort. Moulton Brown cosmetics were a nice touch as well.
From the moment we got off the airplane, we were treated exceptionally well. A greeter met us coming out of customs and escorted us to the private ferry ($85pp) to Anguilla's Blowing Point terminal, where another CJ greeter met us and helped us find our way (I had rented a car through Ronnie Brown, based on TripAdvisor and other recs - a good choice). When we arrived at CJ, a cold rum punch was waiting for us and a kind porter helped us with bags and oriented us to the hotel and beach, as did the concierge. A list of scheduled activities (most of which we blissfully ignored on the beach) included tennis clinics, boat trips and snorkeling expeditions.
Every morning our complimentary breakfast was delivered at the appointed time to our room and set up for us on our private patio. Excellent croissants and pain au chocolat and a plate of fresh fruit. Lobster omlettes and such were readily available for a reasonable charge. As part of our Romantic Rendezvous package, we were given $250 resort credit, a couples massage, a dinner at Pimms, etc, and the massage was excellent and professional. Off then to the beach, where all non-motorized watersports (snorkeling, sailing, windsurfing, paddleboarding) were free and motorized were very affordable. Each villa essentially has its own private beach, or area on the private beach, with comfortable loungers, large umbrellas and a table for each couple. An attendant would then bring a cooler filled with ice and bottled water, which was refilled throughout the day. Cold towels were also brought around, and, in our case, multiple pina coladas and occasionally lunch as well.
We chose to have our complimentary Pimms dinner served to us on the beach, and this was beautifully and elegantly done, just at sunset, with tiki torches, flowers and fronds set around us awaiting our arrival.
We availed ourselves of a sunfish early on and somehow, through salt corrosion, heavy wind, and an unplanned jibe, the boom snapped in half. The crew immediately came to our rescue and we never heard another word about it. Swimming in the protected waters of Maunday's Bay was beautiful - pristine turquoise water, a few small fish, and lovely seashells. Through the concierge, we booked excellent dinners at some area restaurants and arranged for a half-day fishing and snorkeling cruise. When we wanted to stay in, a large library of DVD's was available for easy checkout (though these must be rented by 8pm or else the convenience store closes).
The food at Pimms was much better than expected, especially considering we had heard some middling reviews. Having eaten there twice and at Spice once, we were pleasantly surprised. Over the course of our trip, we hit Jacala, Veya, On Da Rocks and Ken's Barbeque among others, and stopped by Viceroy for drinks. Veya had the best food overall, and if you're really going to do it right, you need to grab some island BBQ, but Viceroy, though beautiful, made us feel jittery and claustrophobic. I think it's probably exactly what we came to Anguilla to avoid for our honeymoon.
Overall, this was a choice we were both very glad we made. The natural beauty is astounding, the service excellent, and there were no holes. It was not expensive for the level of service provided, and we would happily come again and would not feel in any way tempted to even consider another resort on Anguilla.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Insulated from the outside world, yet only minutes by air or motor launch from St. Maarten, Cap Juluca resort is a private self-contained enclave along two miles of the best pristine white-sand beaches in the Caribbean. Spacious Moorish villas, five-star restaurants, exotic landscaped tropical gardens, and friendly and abundant service professionals provide an unparalleled level of luxury. Cap Juluca features a comprehensive array of entertainment amenities, including a fully equipped fitness center, private golf carts andbicycles, aqua golf driving range, bunker and putting green, croquet lawn, Junior Olympic-size swimming pool, a library, tennis courts with a full-time resident pro, and water sports, including snorkeling, wind surfing, water skiing, and sailing. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, West Indies, Orbitz, Agoda, Priceline and Jetsetter so you can book your Cap Juluca reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cap Juluca Hotel West End
- Cap Juluca Hotel Anguilla
- Cap Juluca Anguilla/West End Village
- Cap Juluca Resort Anguilla