“Exceptional resort” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cap Juluca

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Cap Juluca
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in West End Village
Washington, DC
“Exceptional resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

First of all the summary: Cap Juluca was an exceptional resort, worthy of its five stars, and had an elegance and peacefulness to it that was absent from its main competitor on the island, the Viceroy (which is physically gorgeous but more suited to Miami). Service was excellent, friendly and comfortable. Concierge services were professional and nothing at any point during our stay was a hassle. The resort encompasses a large, pristine horseshoe bay, and is among the most beautiful beaches I've ever enjoyed.

Now the specifics, starting with my concerns. I did a lot of research and had been scared somewhat from reading Anguilla news excerpts about some management and financial battles that involved Cap Juluca. The legal battle wages on but seems to have not affected any aspect of the day to day operations of the resort. No evidence of any dissatisfaction among employees, and the government of Anguilla seems to view CJ as a real feather in its cap. To be perfectly honest, I think this is a non-issue and should be totally ignored.

Secondly, I had heard reports of aging fixtures and decor in the suites, and actually contacted CJ about it prior to booking. They assured me that rooms had been recently updated. When I got there I found that to be true. Linens were fresh and new, and the furniture, with that beautiful Moorish/Caribbean style, was perfectly up to snuff for a top resort. Moulton Brown cosmetics were a nice touch as well.

From the moment we got off the airplane, we were treated exceptionally well. A greeter met us coming out of customs and escorted us to the private ferry ($85pp) to Anguilla's Blowing Point terminal, where another CJ greeter met us and helped us find our way (I had rented a car through Ronnie Brown, based on TripAdvisor and other recs - a good choice). When we arrived at CJ, a cold rum punch was waiting for us and a kind porter helped us with bags and oriented us to the hotel and beach, as did the concierge. A list of scheduled activities (most of which we blissfully ignored on the beach) included tennis clinics, boat trips and snorkeling expeditions.

Every morning our complimentary breakfast was delivered at the appointed time to our room and set up for us on our private patio. Excellent croissants and pain au chocolat and a plate of fresh fruit. Lobster omlettes and such were readily available for a reasonable charge. As part of our Romantic Rendezvous package, we were given $250 resort credit, a couples massage, a dinner at Pimms, etc, and the massage was excellent and professional. Off then to the beach, where all non-motorized watersports (snorkeling, sailing, windsurfing, paddleboarding) were free and motorized were very affordable. Each villa essentially has its own private beach, or area on the private beach, with comfortable loungers, large umbrellas and a table for each couple. An attendant would then bring a cooler filled with ice and bottled water, which was refilled throughout the day. Cold towels were also brought around, and, in our case, multiple pina coladas and occasionally lunch as well.

We chose to have our complimentary Pimms dinner served to us on the beach, and this was beautifully and elegantly done, just at sunset, with tiki torches, flowers and fronds set around us awaiting our arrival.

We availed ourselves of a sunfish early on and somehow, through salt corrosion, heavy wind, and an unplanned jibe, the boom snapped in half. The crew immediately came to our rescue and we never heard another word about it. Swimming in the protected waters of Maunday's Bay was beautiful - pristine turquoise water, a few small fish, and lovely seashells. Through the concierge, we booked excellent dinners at some area restaurants and arranged for a half-day fishing and snorkeling cruise. When we wanted to stay in, a large library of DVD's was available for easy checkout (though these must be rented by 8pm or else the convenience store closes).

The food at Pimms was much better than expected, especially considering we had heard some middling reviews. Having eaten there twice and at Spice once, we were pleasantly surprised. Over the course of our trip, we hit Jacala, Veya, On Da Rocks and Ken's Barbeque among others, and stopped by Viceroy for drinks. Veya had the best food overall, and if you're really going to do it right, you need to grab some island BBQ, but Viceroy, though beautiful, made us feel jittery and claustrophobic. I think it's probably exactly what we came to Anguilla to avoid for our honeymoon.

Overall, this was a choice we were both very glad we made. The natural beauty is astounding, the service excellent, and there were no holes. It was not expensive for the level of service provided, and we would happily come again and would not feel in any way tempted to even consider another resort on Anguilla.

Room Tip: Not a bad room in the place. Work for an upgrade to a superior room with a private roof deck. Upper...
5 Thank DoctorNo202

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Polish first
astoria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

My husband and I are well heeled travelers,members of the Leading Hotels of the World and are astounded that anyone would give this resort a negative review. The resort is heavenly and exudes an air of an unhurried existence and understated elegance. The staff goes out of their way to take a personal interest in each and every guest. Good mornings are more than common courtesy and "no" is never a reply to any guest's request. If you are looking for a romantic and quiet vacation with your significant other, this is a wonderful choice. Not a place for children. Saw only one in my entire stay of six days. Please note that this resort is not full of glitz and glamour - if you are looking for that, go to the Viceroy Hotel which is noisy and crowded - no Anguillan atmosphere there. You might as well be in South Beach and that's ok if that is what you are looking for. Cap Juluca's beach is outstanding and one of the best. Non-motorized sports is available for all guests to enjoy at no extra charge. While the food is expensive, I found it to be extremely good and comparable to any fine dining experience in New York City. I have to say that there were numerous small touches that the resort did for their guests daily - iced towels upon arrival at the beach, sorbet desert at 3 pm, complimentary bottled water with your very own cooler chilled with ice, afternoon tea and cookies at 4 pm and twice daily turndown and a nightly candy surprise in a gold box and bow. While these are not major items, they did make my experience extremly memorable. We had a very large one bedroom oceanfront suite that enabled us to walk right out onto the beach which was utterly fantastic. I will admit that the rooms were sparse and not as luxurously furnished as they could be, this would not deter me from returning or recommending this resort. Overall, I cannot say enough wonderful things about this resort and as a result, this has become mine and my husband's new favorite and we planning on returning real soon!!!!!!

3 Thank rickandray
Seminole, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

Cap Juluca is a wonderful place. The rooms or villas all face the beach and when we first got there and opened the doors to the terrace we were in awe with the beauty of the turquoise water and the white sand! It is a true paradise from the resort to the people who work there. We were there for 5 days and never left the solitude and serenity of the island. Everyone was so friendly and helpful and the service was terrific. We can't wait to go back again.

Room Tip: You get a better view from 2nd level suites.
3 Thank Marie S
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

I stayed in Cap Juluca for 10 days and I have to say that my stay was fantastic. From the time I arrived to check in Angelique at the front desk was very helpful and greet us warmly, she was very attentive to our needs and ensure to answer all our questions. We received a double upgrade to an incredible room with a Ocean view and a huge bathroom. Once finish Sharma at concierge provided us all the recommendations necessary to visit the Island. When going to the beach, which once literally 30 seconds walking from our room, we got to know and interact with some great bar staff members in charge of our section (9), Darren, Karol H and Korine who anticipated out needs and always made sure that we were satisfy.

The spa treatments are excellent as well and the staff is dedicated and very professional. The spa supervisor and her colleagues are lovely and really made our stay special.

The property itself is ideal for couple, if you are looking for privacy and rejuvenate, that the right place to be.
The beach is possibly one of the best in the Caribbean, turquoise water and flower sand.

In all honesty there is no need to leave the place as you will feel comfortable and relaxed.

I will certainly go back again.

Thank you for such a great stay.

Room Tip: Make sure you're not to far from the restaurants and ask to be in the villas between 1 to 10.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ANkunku
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

After we departed the ferry from St Martin, we met an awesome couple traveling here for their 14th anniversary. We opted to share a taxi with them to our destination of Cap Juluca. It was a $34 USD trip one way, and worth every cent!

Upon arrival, everyone jumps in to assist. The key is relaxation. The team will handle your luggage, and walk you into the main reception building. We received a complimentary rhum punch (tasty!) and really took in the stunning views of the Maundays Bay. Don't rush to check in. Take your time and soak in the view. My husband and I, along with the couple we met... All had goosebumps as we stood in the lobby watching the crystal clear waves roll into shore. This is an image i will never forget.

At arrival, the team is great- Very informative, very kind, and willing to go the extra mike to help any guest in any situation. The ladies gave you the sense of an "island feel" without necessarily being on "island time". We had a great arrival experience, but the experience did not end there. We were introduced to one of the bellmen, originally from Anguilla, who was absolutely awesome. He had our luggage already put on a golf cart, and he invited us to drive with him to our villa, to which we agreed. He unloaded our luggage for us (we didn't lift a finger!) and showed us the key areas of the room. It's great to have a safe in the unit, and even better to not worry about room keys!

The room was great; Very clean and the walkout lanai deck was stunning!

We enjoyed the beautiful beach, powdered sand, and bluest water we had ever seen. Dinner at Spice and Pimms are semi-expensive, but worth the dollar. The staff is incredible and very friendly. They remembered my husband and I each night we returned or dinner - we highly recommend the lamb dish at either restaurant.

Tips:
1. Enjoy the continental breakfast on your walkout lanai if possible.
2. Spend an entire day on the beach, not worrying about seeing the rest of the island until you have the opportunity to take in all that Cap Juluca has to offer.
3. Take a walk on the beach from one side to another.
4. Relax and breath in every ounce of stunning beauty this resort has to offer.
5. Do nothing.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CoreyLee
Sugar Land, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

My husband and I visited Cap Juluca for our honeymoon. This was our first time to Anguilla. I went back and forth between which hotel we should stay at: Cap Juluca or Viceroy? Well, we chose Cap Juluca mainly because I discovered Viceroy was not directly on the beach (but in between 2 beaches). You must take a hike (so I heard) or get dropped off at the beach. So that was the reason I chose Cap Juluca. Cap Juluca was also recommended by a well traveled family friend. We did visit Viceroy one night for a cocktail. It was very nice and very swanky. Many families with children. It had beautiful pools and amazing views over looking the ocean. However, it was still not enough to make me want to stay there on our next visit.

Room: We are so happy with our choice at Cap Juluca! We stayed in the ocean front junior suite. It was on the second story (Villa 4), large balcony that opened up to the bedroom which overlooked the beach. It also had a large closet, large bathroom, small tub (disappointed tub was so small), nice shower and 2 double sinks. The rooms are clean and nice. Anytime you leave the rooms (for the beach or dinner) they quickly come behind you and clean or straighten up your room (refold towels, fold back bed, light candles etc). They could use a little updating (floors, closets) but besides that, it was perfect!

Staff: ALL the employees at Cap Juluca really make your stay so enjoyable. Everyone is very attentive. They are constantly trying to please you and make you feel special. They remember you and appear to have many repeat customers. One of the main things that separates Cap Juluca from other hotels (in my opinion) is the hotel is small enough for the employees to remember you and give you that personal attention. You would never get that sort of care at any large hotel. The staff at Cap Juluca all appear to be happy and friendly.

Clientele: The hotel mainly had honeymooners, couples on anniversaries or couples simply getting away. I did see one family with kids, however, I feel this place is geared towards couples.

Beach: The beach is beautiful and calm.

Breakfast: The room came with a free continental breakfast each morning before 10 am. They will deliver to your room at no extra charge or you can enjoy it at the local restaurant Blue. Breakfast includes (coffee, teas, water, fresh OJ, sliced fruit and a basket of fresh pastries). Or you can purchase additional items if you would like.

Activities: We did the day trip through Cap Juluca (snorkel/Scilly Cay). This was one of our favorite days. Elvis and Captain took us along with one other couple to snorkel, lunch on Scilly Cay (very enjoyable) then by Shoal Bay. Elvis and Captain were very knowledgable, friendly and great to be around. They also served delish rum punch on the boat!

We also did the sunset cruise through Cap Juluca. This was also guided by Elvis and Captain. There were 3 other people on our boat. They served us delish appetizers and rum punch and champagne. I would recommend this along with the Scilly Cay trip! Both of these were special and fun!

We did eat at Spice one night. I had a Pimms drink (pretty good), lobster roll appetizer (average) and snapper (it was ok) with mashed potatoes (delish). We ate out all of our meals.

I hope this review helps you make you choice of where to stay! We were very happy customers and hope we can come back soon! It is just beautiful!

Room Tip: Junior Ocean Front Suite-It was on the second story (Villa 4), large balcony that opened up to the b...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jessica L
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

This was our third visit to Cap Juluca. I have followed all the stories with respect to ownership issues but as a guest, I didn't see that much of an impact. There were a few glitches, such as our breakfast order not being picked up one night (we ended up having breakfast at Blue), our little flashlight not working, but these are little things.

We took advantage of the Shared Sea Shuttle service and I recommend it. It's very convenient, as once you get your luggage in St. Martin's airport, you are greeted by a Cap Juluca rep who takes your luggage and escorts you to a waiting van, where he kindly gave us bottles of cold water and refreshing cold cloths - nice touch. The sea shuttle holds about 12 passengers and the staff offer beers and refreshments for the ride to Anguilla. The water was rough for our journey, but as I'm fine on a boat, it wasn't an issue. We were greeted on Anguilla by another rep who, after welcoming us, ordered us to tip our porter. I thought that was a little tacky, of course we would have tipped him, but apparently they feel the need to remind guests.

We were pleasantly surprised by a bottle of champagne in the room to welcome us back as repeat visitors, although no bottle of Pyrat Rum and fresh lemonade that others had reported. We had two beers in the fridge and the fridge is restocked daily with mix but no further beers or alcohol.

Although I know they can't guarantee a room, I would suggest requesting an upper floor corner room, if you're considering booking a Junior Suite. It allows much more light than a centre room. The second floor allows a spectacular view of the water and feels very private.

Housekeeping is impeccable. Any clothing we left lying around was neatly folded upon our return. I have no problem with the "no key" policy as there is a safe in the room. The staff are all so friendly and helpful.

The beach is out of this world and the focal point of the resort. You are provided a small cooler of bottled water which is kept cool and replenished throughout the day. I highly recommend ordering a Miami Vice - a pina colada topped with a strawberry daiquiri - heaven!

The restaurant Blue is hit and miss. During our first night, I ordered a glass of wine at Maunday's Club, yet when I ordered the same wine at Blue, the glass was half the size, yet the price was the same. When I brought this to the waitress's attention, she just shrugged. I would recommend discovering the many, many great restaurants on island for lunch and dinner. Pimm's is very nice but Spice is hit and miss as well, although I would recommend visiting for drinks when Boss is performing.

I did notice one big difference during this visit. We visit every 10 years to celebrate our wedding anniversary (we were married on Anguilla). 10 years ago we were fawned over for our anniversary, from the taxi driver that picked us up, to the cleaning staff, and all during our anniversary dinner. Although I made it clear that we were celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary, it was basically ignored, even during dinner at Pimm's, absolutely nothing special added (whereas last time they fussed over us all night, starting with a complimentary bottle of champagne). It's the little things....

All that said, it is a little piece of paradise. I sincerely hope that the management issues are cleared up and this property reverts to its days of glory.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Carimar Beach Club
#2 of 13 in West End Village
CeBlue Villas and Beach Resort
Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla
Four Seasons Resort and Residenc...
#4 of 13 in West End Village
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,333 reviews
Malliouhana, An Auberge Resort
Malliouhana, An Auberge Resort
#1 of 13 in West End Village
CuisinArt Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Cap Juluca? Share your experiences!