“Almost heaven”
Review of Belmond Cap Juluca

Belmond Cap Juluca
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in West End Village
Reviewed April 28, 2013

There is no more beautiful beach in the world, no more friendly green blue waters and no more perfect place for romance and relaxation. There is some music in the evening but this is not where the action is. There are other beach bars, especially in Sandy Ground, if you hope to stay out late and party, but this is a quiet island and Cap Juluca is the perfect extension of the island itself. The spa is modest in big hotel terms but the gym is more than adequate. The pool is wanting so if you prefer a pool experience to the beach, go to the Viceroy. The rooms are spacious and comfortable, even luxurious. Don't think it is an ideal place for children, certainly not teens. For us it was a great place to get married and we returned ten years later to celebrate our anniversary. Bring a good book and one you love and have the time of your life. Also, rent a car because the island is driver friendly and there are many wonderful beaches and great restaurants to explore.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

I have stayed in my share of luxury hotels. It was an easy pick when we decided to visit Anguilla. This Hotel has a very good reputation! However I was a little disappointed with what we actually got for the amount of money we paid. A few things you should know before you stay here
Pros-

*The location of the hotel is beautiful!!!
*The Food is delicious :)

Cons-

*Rooms are average/outdated
*No locking your room from the outside. So when you leave your room the door remains open to EVERYONE
*The food is extremely expensive!!
*TV do not work....they blamed the cable company, at least not while we were there
*The free continental breakfast (not so free) includes a hard boil egg, fruit and muffins (that's it). If you want your egg cooked be prepared to pay
*The restaurants are limited to one place for lunch and one place for dinner...that wouldn't be so bad except your spending 18.00 minimum for a taxi to take you anywhere else.
*The transfer from St. Martin are not as smooth as they appear. It was like riding a roller-coaster. The ferry terminal is run down (to say the least) a lot of locals just hanging out...did not feel safe at all.
*Gratuity is included in everything. Even if you receive bad service. When we did not leave an additional tip the staff pointed it out, as if what they are already getting is not enough

I did not expect this from a Hotel with a reputation like the one Cap Juluca has. I would recommend seeing the beaches at Cap Juluca they are beautiful. Definitely not worth the money to stay here. I'm told the prices In St Martin are a fraction of the cost.

• Stayed: April 2013
3  Thank tvestuto
Reviewed April 22, 2013

My husband recently took me to cap juluca for my 50th birthday. This place is amazing. The beach is unbelievable and the setting is like no other. I have stayed at some wonderful resorts but this by far is my favorite. The staff is wonderful,(shout out to Carol, our beach guy, and Gene our bellman!) If you want excellant food, a beautiful setting, and total relaxation this is it!!! The food all over the island is some of the best I have ever had. Try Blanchards, Dolce Vita, and Veya! Awesome food!!!!!! A great beach bar is smokey's, great music and food. This resort is amazing, I find it hard to believe anyone could say anything bad about it. I read reviews before we left and I just had to let anyone who is thinking of going please go you will not regret your choice.

Room Tip: we stayed in villa 19 at the end of the resort and it was wonderful and quiet.
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Me and my wife (30+) ended our three weeks honeymoon with five nights at this beach resort. After experiencing the vibe of Florida (Miami beach, Fort Lauderdale and Key West) and Saint Martin (French side) our main goal was to find a peaceful place where we could enjoy the pristine beaches of the caribbean in a high standard resort.

For our purpose and for a five night stay this place was perfect; the beach at Cap Juluca is outstanding++ and the resort's main asset, with fine white sand elegantly furnished with comfortable and private beach chairs. Our room (Villa 10.2) was great, if a bit worned down, which we understand is the case also for other rooms in the resort. However, a terrace/balcony with a great sea view makes up for this. The place has several beach bars, keeping you with towels and a cooler of complementary ice water throughout the day, as well as lunch and other drinks.

We also found the general service to be outstanding, with a high employee to guest ratio, all of whom greets you with smiles and a small chat wherever you go. As elsewhere in the Caribbean the service, especially on the Blue Restaurant, could be a bit on the slow side. However this may not be a big drawback, since you are rarely in a hurry at this place. Even though the resort has various activities (water sports, tennis, crocet, boccia, gym and spa) you will find that there is little else to do than staying at the resort.

The resort being secluded, the dining options will in practice be limited to the three different restaurants at the resort, only one of which was open each night. If you rent a car or use a taxi, it is possible to get to local restaurants not far away. If you stay for a longer time than us this will be advisable.

A drawback is the prices on food and drinks. Even though this is a high end resort we experienced that a common view is that the prices for food and drinks are unreasonably high, which is problematic when the guest have limited access to alternative dining options outside the resort. We see no reason why the restaurants of Cap Juluca shall charge doble/triple prices compared with the heute cuisine restaurants of Grand Case on the nearby island of Saint Martin (providing in our opinion a superiour food experience).

All and all we loved the place and had a once in a lifetime experience here. However we are glad that we were informed of the limited options outside the resort (or in Anguilla in general), and that our stay was limited to five nights. We found the combination of Saint Martin (French side) and Anguilla to be perfect. Others guest we talked to expressed a similar view.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Our recent holiday at Cap Juluca was up to the usual standard of hospitality and relaxation. The beach is amazing and the staff extremely helpful and willing to please. The restaurants are as good as always. The new owners have made upgrades to the room furnishings that were overdue and plan more for next season. This is a beautiful resort that respects and incorporates the Anguillian environment and culture in a peaceful and serene setting. Its a wonderful place to chill out and go off the grid for a week and regain your perspective on life.
Enjoy!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dorjet
Reviewed April 7, 2013

My husband and I wanted a beautiful place with easy access to a beach that was relaxing and easygoing, and we got exactly what we were looking for. We absolutely loved Cap Juluca!!! Our only complaint was that our vacation had to end!

We were hesitant to book CJ because of some of the Trip Advisor reviews, we are so glad we didn't listen to those reviews!

Every moment we were there was absolutely perfect. Every day we awoke to the sounds of the breeze and the sea and opened our louvered doors to the breathtaking view. Then we were off to Blue for breakfast. After enjoying breakfast, we would head to the beach where our chaise lounges were already set up with towels and the umbrella was up. Then it was a day of relaxing, strolling down the beach, swimming in the bright-blue sea, kayaking, sailing, taking a break for lunch at Blue, and sipping cocktails served by a friendly beach attendant. In the evening we'd head to the main house for a cocktail then to dinner either at CJ or at another restaurant on the island.

While on vacation, we visited the two other resorts that we considered on Anguilla: CuisinArt and
the Viceroy. After visiting for drinks at both and dinner at CuisinArt, we absolutely knew we made the right decision. The CuisinArt had a much bigger feel, lots of families, and a very small beach. The pool seemed to be the centerpiece. The Viceroy is beautiful but is huge and totally centered around the pools. If there is a beach, it seems to be hard to access. There is a very Miami energy to the resort. I'm not sure I could ever relax there as it appeared to be the place to be seen as opposed to the place to relax!

We, like most of the visitors to CJ, would happily return year after year!!!

Room Tip: Our first floor room had a great view and was between the Main House and Blue.
3  Thank VBcouple
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Cap Juluca was, and probably still is one of my favorite hotels on Anguilla. However for my recent trip I'm not sure if my feelings remain the same. As for the Staff @ Cap Juluca (The Spa) they are the ABSOLUTE best! Treatments were also done on time, and to the best of their ability. Unfortunately I did recognize that owners were basically slandering their employees which I found unbelievable, and unacceptable. As a tourist, I'd prefer if I can enjoy my treatment without having an individual basically spying on his or her employee as they work. It's not as if there's anything in the room worth stealing right? Also it seemed as if when I tipped these individuals, the management seemed a bit uneasy about it. -- Management I'm not so sure about, I'll probably request these individuals to come to a private villa on my next trip. That way, I won't feel uncomfortable for the gratitude I give to these individuals, as if I'm committing a crime. The Spa staff at CP is the absolute best, and I will encourage others to book treatments with certain individuals, or simply request them at their own time to visit your villa when needed. Trust me! They will do a lovely job!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Terraine W
Violet G, Executive Office at Belmond Cap Juluca, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

We met with Cap Juluca's Spa Management team and found the comments made by "Terraine W" to be a defamatory fabrication and do not reflect management's philosophy and treatment of its employees.

Executive Office

#1 of 3 in Shoal Bay Village
Malliouhana, An Auberge Resort
Malliouhana, An Auberge Resort
#2 of 13 in West End Village

Been to Belmond Cap Juluca? Share your experiences!