“Beach Paradise”
Review of Belmond Cap Juluca

Belmond Cap Juluca
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in West End Village
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Our recent holiday at Cap Juluca was up to the usual standard of hospitality and relaxation. The beach is amazing and the staff extremely helpful and willing to please. The restaurants are as good as always. The new owners have made upgrades to the room furnishings that were overdue and plan more for next season. This is a beautiful resort that respects and incorporates the Anguillian environment and culture in a peaceful and serene setting. Its a wonderful place to chill out and go off the grid for a week and regain your perspective on life.
Enjoy!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dorjet
There are newer reviews for Belmond Cap Juluca

Reviewed April 7, 2013

My husband and I wanted a beautiful place with easy access to a beach that was relaxing and easygoing, and we got exactly what we were looking for. We absolutely loved Cap Juluca!!! Our only complaint was that our vacation had to end!

We were hesitant to book CJ because of some of the Trip Advisor reviews, we are so glad we didn't listen to those reviews!

Every moment we were there was absolutely perfect. Every day we awoke to the sounds of the breeze and the sea and opened our louvered doors to the breathtaking view. Then we were off to Blue for breakfast. After enjoying breakfast, we would head to the beach where our chaise lounges were already set up with towels and the umbrella was up. Then it was a day of relaxing, strolling down the beach, swimming in the bright-blue sea, kayaking, sailing, taking a break for lunch at Blue, and sipping cocktails served by a friendly beach attendant. In the evening we'd head to the main house for a cocktail then to dinner either at CJ or at another restaurant on the island.

While on vacation, we visited the two other resorts that we considered on Anguilla: CuisinArt and
the Viceroy. After visiting for drinks at both and dinner at CuisinArt, we absolutely knew we made the right decision. The CuisinArt had a much bigger feel, lots of families, and a very small beach. The pool seemed to be the centerpiece. The Viceroy is beautiful but is huge and totally centered around the pools. If there is a beach, it seems to be hard to access. There is a very Miami energy to the resort. I'm not sure I could ever relax there as it appeared to be the place to be seen as opposed to the place to relax!

We, like most of the visitors to CJ, would happily return year after year!!!

Room Tip: Our first floor room had a great view and was between the Main House and Blue.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank VBcouple
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Cap Juluca was, and probably still is one of my favorite hotels on Anguilla. However for my recent trip I'm not sure if my feelings remain the same. As for the Staff @ Cap Juluca (The Spa) they are the ABSOLUTE best! Treatments were also done on time, and to the best of their ability. Unfortunately I did recognize that owners were basically slandering their employees which I found unbelievable, and unacceptable. As a tourist, I'd prefer if I can enjoy my treatment without having an individual basically spying on his or her employee as they work. It's not as if there's anything in the room worth stealing right? Also it seemed as if when I tipped these individuals, the management seemed a bit uneasy about it. -- Management I'm not so sure about, I'll probably request these individuals to come to a private villa on my next trip. That way, I won't feel uncomfortable for the gratitude I give to these individuals, as if I'm committing a crime. The Spa staff at CP is the absolute best, and I will encourage others to book treatments with certain individuals, or simply request them at their own time to visit your villa when needed. Trust me! They will do a lovely job!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Terraine W
Violet G, Executive Office at Belmond Cap Juluca, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

We met with Cap Juluca's Spa Management team and found the comments made by "Terraine W" to be a defamatory fabrication and do not reflect management's philosophy and treatment of its employees.

Executive Office

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We just returned from our fifth vacation at Cap Juluca. Anyone who is concerned about the change of management, need not be. The staff has barely changed in the 10 years we have been going to CJ. The people who work at CJ are not only good at what they do, they are a lovely group of warm and welcoming folks. The service is impeccable, yet unobtrusive.
The beach at Cj is so spectacularly beautiful. The water, turquoise against the white sand. Beach time does not get any better than at Cap Juluca. Their lovely new lounge chairs are so comfy.
If you love the beach and casual, friendly charm and elegance, then Cap juluca is the place to go.
We went over to the Viceroy for dinner one night..the food was pretty good, but we felt like we had left Anguilla and been transported to Las Vegas. It was such a non-Anguilla vibe, so over-decorated and tacky.
We will always choose to return to cap Juluca, because it is a truly special place, where relaxation and reflection come so easily. Thanks to the entire staff for helping to make our family vacation something that we will always remember.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank NYPetunia
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The location is spectacular! The beach and the water are fabulous....but...and there's always a but, for what they charge isn't not good value. The rooms are modest, dated and under furnished. The closets are small and the safes are difficult to access in the closet. The service is wonderful but bang for your buck? Go to the Viceroy instead!

Room Tip: Get a room at the far end of the property or you will be bombarded by the "entertainment"...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank hotpuffin66
Reviewed March 5, 2013

My wife and I spent 3 nights at CJ.
Rooms: Excellent, we stayed in the lowest category (which is not cheap by any means) but we were delighted. Lovely ocean view from the 1st floor, big comfy bed. Not much too complain about other than some minor issues trying to adjust the water temp in the shower. This category room doesn't have a tub.
Location: Excellent, direct access to a beautiful Maundays Bay Beach. Nice comfortable chairs and very quiet. There isn't anything to eat within walking distance, other than Blue (the resorts lunch/breakfast spot). It was a little too quiet for me, not much going on at the resort bars. Most of the people really keep to themselves.
Activities: Excellent, they offer all the water sports as advertised on there website, but at least while we were there we saw very few people actually doing any acitvities.
Staff: Everyone was very nice and helpful.
Food: Here's where I thought the resort is really lacking
Breakfast (730-10): They offer a complimentary continental breakfast, my wife and I both thought it was average at best and not in line with this type of resort. It consisited of some melons, criossants, breads, juice and coffee. They did offer a full breakfast menu, but again I thought it was average and considering the prices not a good value at all. Tried the coconut crusted french toast, sounded great, but what I got was some bland pieces of brioche topped with a sprinkling of coconut and some bananas drowning in sugar and butter. Regardless we had breakfast here twice because it was convenient.
Lunch (12-3): Lunch was better, but again not up to par with this type of resort. After eating lunch around the island at places like DaVida, Strawhat, Blanchards Beach Shack, Mangos and even Sandy Island, the lunch at CJ couldn't compare with any of these places (maybe Sandy Island).
We ate lunch at Blue one time and moved on, luckily we had a car.
Note: I wrote the times in because from 10-12 and 3-630 you have to call room service if you want to eat. We didn't have any issues since we were only there for 3 days but I thought it was rather inconvienent that a resort of this caliber basically shuts down there only daytime restaurant for several hours each day. Considering the amount of money your paying to stay there I think they could afford to keep there only restaurant open all day!!!
Dinner: (630) Pimms- very dissapointing, maybe we caught them on an off day but I tried the corn soup (didn't have much flavor) for entrees we had the jerk mahi mahi and the blackened swordfish (per the waitress recommendation). Remarkably both of the fish entrees were overcooked, the mahi was ok and the swordfish was way below average. We forced it down and never returned. There are way too many good restaurants on the island, we tried Coba, Sunset Grill, Tastys, Dolce Vita, Da Vida, Mangos and Strawhat. Pricewise they are all pretty expensive and I don't mind paying, but Pimms is the only one we wouldn't return to.
Its a shame, a place like CJ has so much going for it, but on an island considered to be one of the culinary capitals of the carribean they are far behind in the food department.
What makes this place great is the beautiful beachfront location. People who want plenty of privacy and quietness will feel right at home. Not so great if your expecting extraordinary cuisine and a lively atmosphere.
I'm in no rush to return, there are other beaches and resorts on the island that can give CJ a run for there money. We spent the first four nights of our vacation at Frangipani and loved it.
We also spent a lot of time at Viceroy. The resort is unbelievable, very modern and beautifully decorated/designed. The food was also excellent here and the views from there clifftop location were unbeatable.
I don't think CJ deserves any less than four stars but it is very difficult to give them more than four. In the end it really was the food (cost, choices and quality) that hurt them in my point of view.

Room Tip: All rooms have ocean view!!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank BeachTraveler-7
Reviewed March 5, 2013

This has to be the most relaxing place to take a vacation!! It is located on a private beautiful beach. The rooms are spread out into different villas, and you feel like your the only ones on the beach. We didn't even have a key to our room. You can open up your shutters, and your room is like an indoor-outdoor room. It felt like camping in luxury!!! We stayed there for 4 days, but honestly I could have stay for 7!!!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are nice, but I would ask for a room closer to the restaurants. It will save you a...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Anacaona Boutique Hotel
Anacaona Boutique Hotel
#8 of 13 in West End Village
Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla
Four Seasons Resort and Residenc...
#4 of 13 in West End Village
Malliouhana, An Auberge Resort
Malliouhana, An Auberge Resort
#2 of 13 in West End Village
Zemi Beach House, Resort & Spa
Zemi Beach House, Resort & Spa
#1 of 3 in Shoal Bay Village

Been to Belmond Cap Juluca? Share your experiences!