“Amazing honeymoon”
Review of Belmond Cap Juluca

Belmond Cap Juluca
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in West End Village
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Ok i know i've taken a while to write my review but after seeing the most recent reviews i decided it was about time to pull my finger out, and give this hotel the five star review it deserves.
Me and my husband travelled here in April into May 2011 for our honeymoon. Travelling is our passion. It is the one thing we really splurge on and the reason why we both work so hard (so we can have such nice holidays) we have been fortunate to have travelled to all parts of the caribbean, usa, indian ocean, middle east etc but this hotel still comes up top for both of us for...
1. Best beach we've ever seen (just like brochure pics) quiet, clear blue sea, comfy loungers (where you don't have to get up at the crack of dawn to reserve!) clean, safe, impeccible staff that whizz straight over with water and sorbets etc...
2. Best food we have ever had! Freshly prepared, great presentation, mouth watering taste... Pimms was our personal favourite restaurant, we loved the intimacy, and watching the barracuda every night catch the fish was our entertainment....!
3. Lovely staff. They all make an effort to really get to know you, and they do care, they're not in it for a tip, they do it because it's their job!! They make an effort to remember your name and what you like to drink etc...

Ok....i have had better room quality. NOT to say we were unhappy in the slightest...our room was HUGE, had a lovely outlook, a private garden with hammock, beautifully sized bathroom, massive double wardrobe...l could go on..., it was spotless......felt like a home from home! Yes it could be modernised, but if you really spend all that money to go to such a beautiful location and your worried about a cracked floor tile then i'm sorry but your missing the bigger picture!

If you want a small, boutique style hotel with impeccible service, the best beach in Anguilla (and indeed the best we have ever seen) amazing food and views equal (if not better) to what you see in the brochure book cap juluca. You'll feel part of the family and will be treated as individuals.
If you want a synthetic, huge hotel where you'll feel like a number, not an individual. Book the Viceroy down the road. After all you may well get that sterile, ultra modern hotel your after with a smile if you're lucky.....! (before anyone asks, yes we did go there out of curiosity, and that was our first impression) not forgetting you won't get a cracked floor tile ;-)

We're not just saying it as we were honeymooners (this was the second leg of a twin centre hol and we don't say this about the first leg which was in Antigua) but it really was the best hol we've ever had, and to have such vivid good memories nearly two years later speaks for itself.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mccjgw
There are newer reviews for Belmond Cap Juluca

Reviewed February 10, 2013

This is an exquisite property, beautifully maintained with wonderful service. Any beach connoisseur will find this one just about perfect, with immaculate, powder-white sand bordering the calm, warm translucent emerald water. The beach lounges are the most comfortable you can imagine & the beach service (cold wash cloths, fruity sorbets distributed during the day and anything else can be ordered through nearby attendants). Our luxury ground-floor beachfront room had a fabulous bathroom and adjoining solarium. Plasma TV receives all US channels.The room opened on to a totally private, roomy patio area...a tiled path from there led straight to the beach. Golf carts can be summoned to take you to the gorgeous reception building and the restaurants. Food is pricey, but quite good. The entire staff is warm and ultra-helpful. The place has a very private, very low-key vibe.

We got to see a pool villa which has more terraces, huge living room, dining room and kitchen...if you can afford it you can't top it.

We had lunch at Cuisinart, which had more guest rooms/people than we like, and somewhat of a cruise ship atmosphere. Viceroy is sleek and extremely beautiful and no doubt younger and trendiest, with lots of pools but no easy access to the beach. Not the place for beach lovers, anyway, since the beach there is not very big. I'd add that the water on this bay is not as calm and protected as at Cap Juluca.

Cap Juluca has been recently re-acquired by original owners and being retrofitted, so we really hope it will be re-discovered as it deserves to be.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Nightingdale
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I thought the staff was beyond wonderful....a reason to go back! Our room and bed were heavenly....slept thru the night every night....I don't usually do that! Food great...best beach service I've ever had. That said, I was disappointed at cancellation of beach BBQ and of excursions because there weren't enought people....that just seemed low class......and I didn't want to be at that kind of place. Overall....they have a great thing....don't know why they aren't catering more to people there.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lauren B
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Last week, from Jan 28th through Feb 2nd, was our second visit to beautiful Anguilla. We have become lovers of the island and the people there. Last year we stayed at The Viceroy, which is a fine resort, although quite large for our tastes. We wanted to experience Maunday's Bay and Cap Juluca and very happy that we did. The architecture, the unworldly beautiful beach with it's white sand and blue blue water, everything about it makes it one of the most serene and restful experiences of any resort we've visited throughout the world. Just amazing!!! Everyone should experience this lovely, unique place. We had some hesitation before staying at Cap Juluca, namely that it is a little tired and reports, lack of 5 star service and decent but not incredible food. We came with lower expectations, knowing we would be visiting our favorite restaurants and the facilities could be 4 star, not 5 star, but the beach was what we were coming for. With that in mind, we were pleasantly surprised. We were greeted very warmly upon arrival. Our 2nd floor luxury room was very clean, nice large bathroom, softly refreshed room with the most amazing view of beach below from our balcony. A parrot visited us upon arrival which was so special. How often does that happen at any resort? Every morning, except one, we ate at Blue downstairs. Free continental breakfast, very good. Ordering from menu a couple of times, food was very good and cooked just right. Pimms for dinner was excellent. Fish cooked perfectly and hot. Service was very good. Most everyone was very friendly and accommodating. I mention this because if there is one thing they may want to work on, is that while everyone provides a greeting, there are a few that seemed forced and not very happy about being happy. It's really too bad, because there are lots of incredible places to visit in the world and we really appreciate exceptional attitude and great service. The beach service everyday is quite good, providing fresh cold waters in your little ice chest, cold towels and beverages and lunch from a somewhat limited menu. We went to Blue for lunch most days, which has more of an extensive lunch selection. Every evening we enjoyed the excellent turn down service and anytime we needed more towels or soap, they were very efficient and fast to provide. Good service overall. Don't expect a Rosewood or Four Seasons Maui service, but the beach combined with the good service, good food and being in Anguilla make it all a very exceptional trip! We'd definitely stay here next time, although a little breezy in late January early Feb. Will try to go again when a little calmer. I did like that the main lobby area staff all knew our names and very friendly by the end of our stay. The new coffee services at The Maunday's Club is a nice edition, although somewhat limited in coffee choices and barista's knowledge of coffee drinks. Coffee doesn't seem to be that big in Anguilla! Anyway, lovely stay and so glad we chose Cap Juluca, a wonderful and unique experience! We are so blessed to be able to enjoy such an amazing place!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LindaS9999
Reviewed February 2, 2013

My husband and I were there in May of 2010 to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary. It did not disappoint. Breakfast on our terrace every morning was delightful. Loved the presentation of the fruit. Rooms were still being renovated. Ours for the most part was very nice, but could have used a little more WOW factor with the furnishings. Bathroom was very nice. We were on the 2nd floor and the view was amazing! The new beach lounge chairs were wonderful and plush. The service on the beach was terrific, from the cold bottles of water, to the afternoon treats that were served directly to you while you drank in the beautiful beach views. Oh, and the beach.....outstanding! We visited other hotels on the island during our stay and although some had extravagant bars and ambience NONE of the other hotel beaches came close to maundays beach. The food and service at spice was a bit disappointing. It was good, but my expectations were high and they did not meet them. Pimms om the other hand was spectacular! Service was excellent and the food was amazing. Desserts to die for. Staff throughout the hotel were always polite, friendly and helpful. The women who stood out front of the hotel, I wish I could remember her name, was incredible with recalling guests name. She would great us with Mr. And Mrs ......evey time she saw us. Something I don't think would happen in larger hotels. The biggest disappointment was our in room couples massage. Would not recommend it. I don't know if the actual spa experience would be better but I would try it. A few other details, afternoon tea and cookies, the delicious lemonade that was waiting for us in our room, the note wishing us a happy anniversary and last but not least, turn down service ahhhh. I anxiously await our return visit!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Karen G
Reviewed January 26, 2013

The magic begins as soon as you step off the ferry from St. Martin. In Marigot, whether coming back from Anguila or St. Barthes, you'll find the waterfall once-over, a stamp for your passport, and a thanks-for-spending-you-money here smile. At the ferry dock in Anguila, you queue up for your inspection and you notice the defender-of-liberty customs guy grilling a poor English couple a few people up, why are you here, where are you staying, how much cash are you carrying, what do you do for a living, what did you have for breakfast? Your turn comes, same process, you're thinking East Germany in '88 wasn't this bad.

Once you granted entry into Oz you find yourself in a parking lot with a sea of grumpy looking toothpick-in-mouth senior citizen cabbies with newsboy hats. They're all jockeying for position to take you to your hotel. Cap Juluca, please. The drive is lovely in a nothing-is-here sort of way. You try to make conversation. It falls flat. Is it nice living here, yes. Didn't Oprah come here, I don't know. And then fields, goats, the occasional house, more goats, a humid inland empire that evokes the cutscenes in Mississippi Burning, stray dogs, goats. Your cabbie gnaws that toothpick. Cap Juluca is nice, he says, but not as good as the Viceroy.

You pull into the gate of the resort and drive past the stench of garbage and the ebbing tide of the glooping slick oil inlet and arrive at the main house. Down a lovely marble hallway, you note the high-end boutiques on both sides and emerge to an utterly amazing view -- the beach, the water, St. Martin across the bay, spectacular. A couple of people are in the lobby, a blinged-out Long Islander with gold chains swimming in his disgusting chest hair arguing with his coked out past-her-prime model girlfriend, eurotrash smoking and complaining, but no Oprah. Not even a Gayle.

The beach is empty. The resort is shaped like a croissant, the main house at the top, and the two dozen or so identical white villas dot along the beach. The service is smooth and efficient. You get your key and an escort to your villa. You get a tour -- here's the tennis court, the lawn bowling, the garden. Meh. Angry looking Aguillan employees putter around on golf-carts. You're taken to your villa, beautiful. There's the private pool, a great view, Molton Brown bath products, you get it. Then there's a lovely pathway to the beach, which you walk down to go for lunch (craving croissants).

The beach bar is a short walk. It's sort of empty. You're seated in a welcome to TGIFriday's in Akron sort of way. It's brusque, the waitress calls you honey with a carribean twang and motions to your table with the plastic laminated menu. The view of the water is amazing. The mango daquiri looks nice, I'm sorry sir we've run out of mango today. What? No I'm sorry there are no vegetarian options. Where is this food from, is it grown here? No sir it comes from St. Martin, we don't really have agriculture on the island. You don't have an herb garden? No sir we have to import everything. I see.

I want something light. What do you mean no vegetarian options? I'm starting to feel like I'm channeling my mother-in-law. The waiter is getting nervous and looks around for his phone-a-friend. I order the mojito and some fish. And then another. And another. The fish was good. The mojito was better. By the time I stumbled back to the villa I was ready for a nap. A hotel employee was walking around with fresh complimentary sorbet, lovely. Nomnomnom. After cleansing my palate of minty fish taste I fell asleep in the beach chair and got sunburn.

The next three days I basically did the same thing over and over again. The staff always was courteous and smiled, albeit in a forced constipated sort of way, whenever they drove past me on those golf carts. We watched some DVDs, got a nice tan. No one knew my name. The other guests were invisible, which was nice. I came to hate Mojitos and fish. The view stayed amazing. The experience was great though it never felt "magical" and the only wow factor was provided by the elements out of the hotel's control - the weather, the water, the beach. I blew around five grand for three days.

Who it's for: Couples on the verge of divorce "trying to make it work", game show winners, people who spend their vacation on their cellphones closing deals.

Who it's not for: Foodies, crafty-kitsch-barefoot-hippies.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
26  Thank Skijeet B
Reviewed January 23, 2013

The hotel staff make you feel that your enjoyment and comfort is of upmost importance to them. Very personal and friendly to insure you have the best experience available on your vacation. The rooms are private, the beach is beautiful, and I recommend the private dining on the beach for a romantic dining experience. I would rent a car, which they will bring to the hotel, and enjoy all of the island. Great romantic get-away!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Anacaona Boutique Hotel
Anacaona Boutique Hotel
#8 of 13 in West End Village
Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla
Four Seasons Resort and Residenc...
#4 of 13 in West End Village
Malliouhana, An Auberge Resort
Malliouhana, An Auberge Resort
#2 of 13 in West End Village
Zemi Beach House, Resort & Spa
Zemi Beach House, Resort & Spa
#1 of 3 in Shoal Bay Village

Been to Belmond Cap Juluca? Share your experiences!