“Fantastic and Relaxing”

Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in West End Village
Detroit
“Fantastic and Relaxing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2011

I can't say enough about this property. The staff: from the General Manager, Gary; to Gene & Juliette at the Bell Stand; to the people that clean the rooms and the grounds... they are all so very nice. The beach is absolutely amazing, possibly the most beautiful we've ever seen! Pimms, Spice & Flights all have good food, albeit pricey. The rooms could use some touch up, but only in terms of the paint. The hard/soft goods are in fine shape. If you can't relax at Cap Juluca, you CAN'T relax!

My stay was primarily business - with 26 guests, but also a few days of R&R with my wife. All of them loved the property, as well. If you are into golf, the new Cuisinart course - a Greg Norman Signature course - is only a mile away and is beautiful, even if you just want to go for lunch & the view.

The Pump House and Elvis's are a couple of good local bars you can visit.

Room Tip: The lower-numbered villas (1-6) are nearer to the lobby and restaurants. The restaurant Blue was cl...
1 Thank Tom_and_Joan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Polish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2011

With some places, photos make the place look marvelous, but upon visiting the reality of it doesn't live up to the image. At Cap Juluca, I had the opposite experience. The photos don't fully prepare you for the reality of the place. Spectacular is not too strong a word. It's almost otherworldly, even surreal. My room was gorgeous, spacious, well appointed. The staff was welcoming, friendly, and seemed to genuinely want to contribute to my enjoyment. The beach, ocean, and sky are unimaginably beautiful. Even if you end up staying someplace else, you should still visit Cap Juluca. There's just nothing else like it.

Room Tip: To me, the ocean view from the 2nd floor rooms easily outshines the slightly easier beach access but...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Michael B
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2011

Just arrived back from this beautiful hotel. I was torn between the viceroy and CJ. The viceroy is beautiful and Miami modern...young and hip. CJ is perfection all villas steps from beach. These reviews by others are accurate...fabulous. Service was marvelous. Beautiful grounds and the rooms I was nervous with reviews...they are really nice..all white and dark wood...I was upgraded to one with a bathroom shower was all open with tropical area outside. Coffee and Danishes..rum punch upon arrival...ice cream beach side and afternoon tea all complimentary. Also a beautiful library with Internet and current books and DVD. Staff juliette and Corrine...everyone just couldnt do enough for us...moved us later at noon to another room for late check out stayed to 4pm...never heard of this but great to be able to shower after beach to take ferry home. Also check in was early in our room by 11am...I love this hotel...my favorite as of today. Its like home..your beach house.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 8 and 6
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank carol724
Fort Myers, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2011

First and foremost, Cap Juluca announced to it's employees that it is on the edge of bankruptcy while we were there. While that had no ill effect on our stay, I don't know how it will effect future stays.

We stayed at Cap Juluca the first week of November, 2011. Without hesitation, I can say that Cap Juluca is a phenomenal resort with excellent amenities and the most genuinely friendly employees.

The room we stayed in was one of the basic rooms. But, even the most basic room was very luxurious. The room was very large, had an enormous bathroom and exceptional view of the ocean.

One of the best things about staying at Cap Juluca is that you don’t feel like you are in a hotel. The resort is not one massive hotel. Instead it is a series of villas with up to 6 rooms per villa.

The other great thing about staying at Cap Juluca is that you are not “nickel and dimed” to death. Many items such as bottled water, beach lounges, wireless internet, water sports (kayaks, boogie boards, hobie sail boats, sunfish sail boats, etc.) are all included.

The service was spectacular. Room service, maid service, bar servers, etc. Everyone knew their job and did it well, without being overly attentive (which in my opinion can be as bothersome as being underattentive).

Before arriving at Cap Juluca, we did some research and found that the overall concensus was that the beach at Cap Juluca was the finest on Anguilla. After having been there, I can’t imagine there being anything better. The sand is the clean, soft and fluffy (yeah, you read correctly, “fluffy”).

The water is a beautiful aqua blue. Looking down the beach at the entire panoramic view you will be awestruck by the contrast of colors.

Overall, I highly recommend Cap Juluca as your destination while on the island of Anguilla… with one reservation. While there, Cap Juluca announced to it’s employees that they were on the edge of bankruptcy. I feel confident that this resort will survive, but to what extent?

Pros: Accommodations, staff, view, cleanliness.
Cons: Possible Bankruptcy

2 Thank FrankInSWFla
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2011

My partner and I chose this spot to just enjoy a few days away from it all relaxing and Cap Juluca seemed to fit exactly what we had in mind. Let me first say the beach is breath taking, no complaints, gorgeous white sand and beautiful blue water. Our room was good, nothing fancy in the bedroom but the bathroom was very modern and swanky and we enjoyed the large tub.
We loved being able to just walk out to the beach and get around easy because of all the little buggies stationed everywhere. We're both into fitness and so we enjoyed the large gym with separate weight and cardio rooms. It's also a very nice touch to have a frige there fully stocked with water and gatorade!
We loved the resort our big disappointment came when we decided to have dinner at Pimms.
The welcome was good, although the hostess was extremely friendly it felt a bit put on, she doesn't shake hands she hugs you and treats you like you're her grandchild come to visit her for the summer. From there it was all down hill not one staff member smiled or made eye contact with us throughout the meal. In fact we felt like they were just working so they could finish as quickly as possible, our entire dinner was done in about 45 minutes!
When we were leaving we kind of looked around used to someone saying goodbye or thanks for coming but not one person even looked at us. We would understand if they were busy but the restaurant was not full at all since we were there in low season. It's such a great place but things like that make a difference to us.
Also every morning they delivered breakfast to us with a summary of New York Times, well my partner is English and it would have been nice to receive some British papers printed out especially since they have them available at reception. Little details like that make a huge difference when you're paying good money.
Aside from the service issues it was a great trip and we enjoyed it.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2011

My wife and I had a gerat experience there last week. Yes, the room was a little "tired." Yes, the food at Pimms was lousy. But, the staff was superb. Far more staff than guests. The friendliest group of people we have ever experienced. The beach is gorgeous, the beach service excellent. The price was great. There are more luxurious resorts with newer facilities, but they cost several hundred more per day. Anguilla is a very friendly and safe island, unlike some others that we have been to. In comparison to the other hotels on the island, this is clearly the best choice for a quiet, couples escape.

2 Thank Guest12360763
Arlington Heights, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2011

I originally booked myself and my husband at Viceroy to celebrate our 22nd wedding anniversary and my 50th birthday But Viceroy made the decision to close for off-season so they moved us to Cap Juluca. At first, we were very upset and disappointed at the decision but there was nothing we could do so we just said to ourselves, "We're not in the room that much anyway . . ." and "It'll be fine . . .", "We'll make the best of it . . ." etc. When we arrived at CJ, we were astonished and in awe at how beautiful the property was and how friendly and helpful the staff was. My husband and I have visited many of the Caribbean islands, i.e Peter Island, St. Kitts & Nevis, St. John and Aruba and we agree that, by far, Maunday's Bay, which is the cove on which CJ is built, is the most stunning beach in the Caribbean. The wide beach has soft white sand and Maunday's Bay water is calm, warm and turquoise clear. The color is so turquoise that it doesn't even look real. It's just amazing!

I read other TripAdvisor reviews that CJ's rooms are "tired" and in need of updating etc. Well, I will agree that some rooms do need updating. And let me tell you, they are in the process of updating those rooms. At the "Maunday Monday" manager's cocktail hour, where guests get free drinks and appetizers, the builder of the property introduced himself to everyone individually and explained they are in the beginning stages of updated the rooms - for real this time. The most visible signs of wear are the tile floors, which are chipped in areas and the grout has become stained, and there's some "impossible to remove" crud in the corners of the bathroom. The crud cannot be removed by the cleaning staff so you can't blame them for a dirty room. But regardless, it needs to be addressed.

More on the rooms. It is unbelievable how private each room is. We never heard or saw another guest in our villa during our stay. We stayed in Villa #4 room #1 which was spacious with a beautiful, large bathroom with an attached atrium. While you shower in one of these bathrooms, the sun shines in and you are privately exposed to the nature outside. It's really a liberating feeling. And it's true, there are no room keys given to the guests but it's my understanding that you can request one. We felt no need for one. There is virtually no crime on Anguilla and there has never been an issue within the property - so we've been told. There is a safe in the room and you can lock the door from the inside once you're in if needed. The bedding is to die for. Although the mini bar could use a better selection of snacks as well as a bigger selection of beer and wine. Daily delivery of continental breakfast is a real treat as is evening turn-down service.

The beach service is friendly and attentive. The beach attendants are always bringing cold water and ice to you and if you need something from them, just put down the red flag and they will come to you promptly. At 3:00 daily, island fruit-flavored sorbet is served to you at your beach chair. Oh and the beach chairs are like lounge chairs - they are the most comfortable beach chairs ever made.

Solar powered golf carts. There are golf carts on the property that are available for guests to use to get around the property - not that the propterty is so big that you can't walk anywhere because it's not. The carts are used via the honor system. You don't get a cart assigned to you for your whole stay. If you need a cart and see one in the Solar Golf Cart parking spot, then just take it. The problem is that some people take the key with them and therefore render the cart useless to anyone else - selfish!. At registration, they tell you upfront, "Don't take the key out of the cart. It's the honor system".

CJ is very different than most resorts. It's very intimate. By that I mean that the resort is not "hotel-like". It's made up of villas with private rooms - not buildings with elevators. We stopped in at Cuisinart one evening where we thought we were going to eat but decided to go elsewhere. The grounds at Cuisinart were beautiful but not the same feeling or setting as CJ. Oh, and we walked over to the Viceroy, which is still closed, but they were reading the property to open again on Nov 1. Let me tell you, there's no reason for us to ever go back there. Don't get me wrong, the lobby is beautiful and the artwork is priceless but there is virtually no beach on either side of the hotel. The surf on that side of the island is viscious and the property itself is sterile. There are many rooms that, from what we could tell, had no view of the water either. It's kind of a typical resort hotel from a "feel" perspective. Cap Juluca blows away Viceroy. I didn't think I would say that but I am comfortable saying that now that I've seen it first hand. Thanks for bumping us Viceroy!

Restaurants we dined at off property in order of preference:
1. La Doce Vita - The BEST gnocci EVER! They are like pillows for angels. Great service. Beachfront dining.
2. Veya - Nice menu, lovely service. For a donation, you can get the recipe fof your favorite item on the menu. I asked for the Coconut Fish soup - DELISH!
3. Jacala - Beachfront dining, nice french menu, and typical nasty french attitude too!
4. Gwen's - Beachfront dining, island BBQ, go on an afternoon when they have a band. You can walk from Gwen's around the point to other beachfront bars i.e. Uncle Ernies.
5. Smokey's - Beachfront dining, walking distance from CJ. Try the Curry Goat-it's fabulous. Go when they a band.

We enjoyed our meals on property as well. The Paperadelle Paste with Lobster Sauce at Pimms is to die for - I had it twice.

Taxi rides are expensive but we didn't feel we needed to rent a car. The fare is based on zones that divide up the island. A one-way fare can be a little as $10 or as much as $36 then times that by 2 for the return trip. In many cases, the drivers will not charge you for the ride to your destination but they give you their business card so you can have the restaurant call them so they can get the return fare. This worked out fine for us and the driver.

If you can swing it, opt for the Anguilla Air Service charter from St. Marten (SXM) to Anguilla. It's $460 for 2 people one way. We booked the charter from SXM to Anguilla and we liked it so much we booked the return flight during our stay. It was well worth the money. When you get off the plane on St. Marten, you are whisked through the immigration process and guided to an 8-seat prop plane and in 8 minutes you are on Anguilla. I don't regret spending the money one bit.

All-in-all, CJ gave us the most glorious 10 days on the beautiful island of Anguilla. You better get there before they upgrade the rooms and raise prices. It may become unaffordable.

Room Tip: All rooms have fabulous views of the beach. Villas 1 - 10 have a better beach, calmer surf and close...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
CeBlue Beach Resort
CeBlue Beach Resort
#2 of 3 in The Valley
Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla
Four Seasons Resort and Residenc...
#4 of 13 in West End Village
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,353 reviews
Malliouhana, An Auberge Resort
Malliouhana, An Auberge Resort
#1 of 13 in West End Village
CuisinArt Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Cap Juluca? Share your experiences!