“A Blessing in Disguise”
Review of Belmond Cap Juluca

Belmond Cap Juluca
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in West End Village
Reviewed November 2, 2011

I originally booked myself and my husband at Viceroy to celebrate our 22nd wedding anniversary and my 50th birthday But Viceroy made the decision to close for off-season so they moved us to Cap Juluca. At first, we were very upset and disappointed at the decision but there was nothing we could do so we just said to ourselves, "We're not in the room that much anyway . . ." and "It'll be fine . . .", "We'll make the best of it . . ." etc. When we arrived at CJ, we were astonished and in awe at how beautiful the property was and how friendly and helpful the staff was. My husband and I have visited many of the Caribbean islands, i.e Peter Island, St. Kitts & Nevis, St. John and Aruba and we agree that, by far, Maunday's Bay, which is the cove on which CJ is built, is the most stunning beach in the Caribbean. The wide beach has soft white sand and Maunday's Bay water is calm, warm and turquoise clear. The color is so turquoise that it doesn't even look real. It's just amazing!

I read other TripAdvisor reviews that CJ's rooms are "tired" and in need of updating etc. Well, I will agree that some rooms do need updating. And let me tell you, they are in the process of updating those rooms. At the "Maunday Monday" manager's cocktail hour, where guests get free drinks and appetizers, the builder of the property introduced himself to everyone individually and explained they are in the beginning stages of updated the rooms - for real this time. The most visible signs of wear are the tile floors, which are chipped in areas and the grout has become stained, and there's some "impossible to remove" crud in the corners of the bathroom. The crud cannot be removed by the cleaning staff so you can't blame them for a dirty room. But regardless, it needs to be addressed.

More on the rooms. It is unbelievable how private each room is. We never heard or saw another guest in our villa during our stay. We stayed in Villa #4 room #1 which was spacious with a beautiful, large bathroom with an attached atrium. While you shower in one of these bathrooms, the sun shines in and you are privately exposed to the nature outside. It's really a liberating feeling. And it's true, there are no room keys given to the guests but it's my understanding that you can request one. We felt no need for one. There is virtually no crime on Anguilla and there has never been an issue within the property - so we've been told. There is a safe in the room and you can lock the door from the inside once you're in if needed. The bedding is to die for. Although the mini bar could use a better selection of snacks as well as a bigger selection of beer and wine. Daily delivery of continental breakfast is a real treat as is evening turn-down service.

The beach service is friendly and attentive. The beach attendants are always bringing cold water and ice to you and if you need something from them, just put down the red flag and they will come to you promptly. At 3:00 daily, island fruit-flavored sorbet is served to you at your beach chair. Oh and the beach chairs are like lounge chairs - they are the most comfortable beach chairs ever made.

Solar powered golf carts. There are golf carts on the property that are available for guests to use to get around the property - not that the propterty is so big that you can't walk anywhere because it's not. The carts are used via the honor system. You don't get a cart assigned to you for your whole stay. If you need a cart and see one in the Solar Golf Cart parking spot, then just take it. The problem is that some people take the key with them and therefore render the cart useless to anyone else - selfish!. At registration, they tell you upfront, "Don't take the key out of the cart. It's the honor system".

CJ is very different than most resorts. It's very intimate. By that I mean that the resort is not "hotel-like". It's made up of villas with private rooms - not buildings with elevators. We stopped in at Cuisinart one evening where we thought we were going to eat but decided to go elsewhere. The grounds at Cuisinart were beautiful but not the same feeling or setting as CJ. Oh, and we walked over to the Viceroy, which is still closed, but they were reading the property to open again on Nov 1. Let me tell you, there's no reason for us to ever go back there. Don't get me wrong, the lobby is beautiful and the artwork is priceless but there is virtually no beach on either side of the hotel. The surf on that side of the island is viscious and the property itself is sterile. There are many rooms that, from what we could tell, had no view of the water either. It's kind of a typical resort hotel from a "feel" perspective. Cap Juluca blows away Viceroy. I didn't think I would say that but I am comfortable saying that now that I've seen it first hand. Thanks for bumping us Viceroy!

Restaurants we dined at off property in order of preference:
1. La Doce Vita - The BEST gnocci EVER! They are like pillows for angels. Great service. Beachfront dining.
2. Veya - Nice menu, lovely service. For a donation, you can get the recipe fof your favorite item on the menu. I asked for the Coconut Fish soup - DELISH!
3. Jacala - Beachfront dining, nice french menu, and typical nasty french attitude too!
4. Gwen's - Beachfront dining, island BBQ, go on an afternoon when they have a band. You can walk from Gwen's around the point to other beachfront bars i.e. Uncle Ernies.
5. Smokey's - Beachfront dining, walking distance from CJ. Try the Curry Goat-it's fabulous. Go when they a band.

We enjoyed our meals on property as well. The Paperadelle Paste with Lobster Sauce at Pimms is to die for - I had it twice.

Taxi rides are expensive but we didn't feel we needed to rent a car. The fare is based on zones that divide up the island. A one-way fare can be a little as $10 or as much as $36 then times that by 2 for the return trip. In many cases, the drivers will not charge you for the ride to your destination but they give you their business card so you can have the restaurant call them so they can get the return fare. This worked out fine for us and the driver.

If you can swing it, opt for the Anguilla Air Service charter from St. Marten (SXM) to Anguilla. It's $460 for 2 people one way. We booked the charter from SXM to Anguilla and we liked it so much we booked the return flight during our stay. It was well worth the money. When you get off the plane on St. Marten, you are whisked through the immigration process and guided to an 8-seat prop plane and in 8 minutes you are on Anguilla. I don't regret spending the money one bit.

All-in-all, CJ gave us the most glorious 10 days on the beautiful island of Anguilla. You better get there before they upgrade the rooms and raise prices. It may become unaffordable.

Room Tip: All rooms have fabulous views of the beach. Villas 1 - 10 have a better beach, calmer surf and close...
8  Thank laurascelfo

Reviewed October 27, 2011

This was my second & last time to Cap Juluca.
I am all about paying dearly for the Best..as long as it is just that..Cap Juluca is Prime real estate.. The water alone, is almost enough to go for..If they would only cater to their guest..Sadly they didn't..and there were to many things to write them a letter about..The prices are outrageous..to say the least..& the service is just not there at all..
They reciently put a ton of $ into it, but I didn't notice where..all I know is that someone stole my Golf Cart on my first day, & I reported it immediately..Well, I Never received it nor another for the rest of my stay!! That was a disgrace!! I had to walk or call and wait forever for a ride to pick me up..It was awful..No one cared one bit ! So I will take my business elswhere!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank SkysMommy4
Reviewed October 21, 2011

I have travelled to Anguilla the past eight years in a row and love the island. The people, the food, and the beaches are the best in the Caribbean. Every year I struggle with where to stay (Cap Juluca, Cuisinart, or the Viceroy). After staying at the Viceroy for the first time this year it is clear that of the three, Cap Juluca is the best. Situated on Maundays Bay, the resort sits on a beautiful stretch of beach. While the rooms are a bit dated, you just can't beat the views when you step out onto the patio. The continental breakfast (included in the room rate) is a lovely touch.

We stayed at the Viceroy most recently and found the rooms to be amazing (high end amenities, comfy bed, huge bathroom)! The staff was excellent in their attention to detail and the facilities were top notch. The food was significantly better at the Viceroy than at Cap Juluca, but if you go to Anguilla you'd be better off having dinner at one of the many great restaurants. Eating at the resort is only a good idea if you are too exhausted to go anywhere else or just grabbing lunch. At the Viceroy you do have the ability to walk down the beach to Straw Hat or Blanchards, both of which are excellent. There are two negatives at the Viceroy that prevent the resort from being the best on the island: 1) continental breakfast is not included. Your only choice is the $35/pp breakfast buffet. 2) The place has no soul. It doesn't look like Anguilla. It is South Beach on steroids. It is devoid of color. No flowers. Although the rooms have fantastic amenities, the sleek monochromatic decor just feel didn't like the Caribbean.

Where Cap Juluca excels is in the layout. Two-story villa buildings with foliage and palm trees relax you the moment you arrive at the resort. The lobby and main restaurant look out onto the water and it is almost blinding the first time you see it. All of the rooms also have a wonderful beachfront view (Viceroy definitely does not have this). Nonmotorized watersports are complimentary and the floats, kayaks, snorkel equipment are always available. The chairs and umbrellas on the beach are comfortable, ready, and plentiful. This is not the case at the Viceroy where you have to be on the beach (Meads Bay) early in order to be waterfront, otherwise you spend the day in the second row looking at the back of some guy's head. Cap Juluca never puts a row of people in front of you. Cap Juluca also enjoys being on a cove so the water is extremely calm and warm. You can be neck deep a still see clear down to your toes. Paradise found.

If you should decide to stay at Cap Juluca be sure to check luxurylink.com, ruelala.com, and other flash sale travel websites. They significantly discount their rates (sometimes up to 50% of what is posted on their own website). Please note that if you call or email Cap Juluca directly they WILL NOT HONOR THE RATES found on the other websites. We booked through luxurylink.com in 2010 (7 night Romantic Rendezvous package for $1900) and everything was great. I'm not sure I understand why they won't let you do this directly but they just don't - even for someone who was looking to come back to their resort for the third year in a row. If you have some flexibility in your travel dates it is definitely worth waiting for the flash sales.

Quick tip: Taxis are expensive. $20+ each direction to a restaurant or other beach. Rent a car for $45/day and see the island or enjoy the nightlife in Sandy Ground. Just remember to drive on the left.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
27  Thank dgh17
Reviewed October 19, 2011

Our experience was absolutely wonderful! We'd been hearing about CJ from my friends and family for years and finally got to visit for the first time a couple of weeks ago.

Even compared to several other 5-star Caribbean resorts, the beach set-up and service was unparalleled. We were perfectly content lying on the comfy lounge with nice towels next to beautiful water enjoying the constant breeze and indulging in the complimentary sorbet and scented cold face towels every day for 10 days. The location was absolutely dreamy!

The staff was very friendly and helpful. We ran into a couple of small snags along the way, but they were remedied immediately. Security went above and beyond to protect our valuables when we accidentally (and unknowingly) left our safe open. Housekeeping was wonderful as was the front desk and boutique personnel. I once mentioned that I'd gotten sunburned to the receptionist. That evening, someone was at my door with fresh cut aloe. I didn't even ask for it! Great service.

The accommodations were very nice. I especially enjoyed that one of our rooms totally opened up to the outside, inviting the breathtaking views in. The bathroom was a very close second as my favorite thing. It was very spacious with a tub and great shower that also opened up to a private solarium outside. Great toiletries too. Almost perfect.

Activities were abound. Henry at the water sports hut was helpful and accommodating. We took out a Hobie cat to sail around the bay. Easy and fun.
We joined Lloyd for a hike to a really cool cave and through the woodsy terrain to find a pretty beach. He was a plethora of knowledge on the island and its history. Very fun and informative. A good break from laying in the sun.
We also took a snorkel trip to Sandy Cay (I think). The trip was fun, but the sea-life wasn't as exciting as we'd hoped. Elvis and Eddie made the trip especially special with a trip to Smokey's for lunch after the excursion. I don't think that was part of the deal ;)

We were disappointed with the food at Pimms and Spice. The menu variety was very limited and most meals left a lot to be desired. Very little that we ate warranted the exorbitant prices. In contrast, the complimentary continental breakfast was one of the best I've ever experienced. Our choice of a very large variety of baked goods, fruit, juices, coffee, tea, etc. was delivered promptly and precise to our order every morning and set up on our private patio for us to enjoy looking at the ocean or reading the day's newspaper.

Our stay lasted during the off season. It didn't bother us to find most restaurants and shops around the island closed during our visit, but I recommend others take that into consideration when booking a trip.

Room Tip: All are lovely. 1st-level rooms have easier access to the beach, but 2nd-level rooms have a private...
3  Thank Candice M
Reviewed October 18, 2011

When staying in Cap Juluca we felt we needed no more: beautiful beaches, excellent facilities, friendly staff and nice places where to eat. If you need a bit more action, there are a bunch of water sports to enjoy, and the concierge can arrange for you bike rides and other tours around the island. Also walking just around the facilities makes for a nice exercise while enjoying the gardens. We just like it!

Room Tip: Top corner rooms have a great view and beautiful bathrooms.
1  Thank SalviaMe
Reviewed October 18, 2011

This was our first trip to Cap Juluca and it was awesome. The beach is the best we have been to... a very long and wide stretch of beautiful white sand with room for everyone at the resort. Good thing is there aren't many villas/people, so at times it feels like your own island. Crystal clear aqua, turquise and blue water - fantastic! Service on the beach could not have been better... just put down the red flag on your umbrella and the staff is there to serve lunch/drinks or anything you request. If you have to do some work, I had wi-fi access on my tablet everyday from my chaise lounger on the beach. The continental breakfast on our terrace each morning was a great way to start another lazy day. The workout facility was excellent if you actually felt like working out. As is expected at a resort like this, the prices are expensive, but the food was excellent everytime! You are on island time, so don't be in a big rush. As well, there are many other great places on the island to drink/dine and enjoy like... Smokey's, the Pump House, Elvis' Beach Bar (Elvis lives!) and countless others. The resort is very clean; the rooms are clean as well but could use a little updating, nothing major; the entire staff is very friendly and attentive; the food was great; the flowers were beautiful and our experience was excellent. A woderful resort that we would highly recommend to everyone. We can't wait to go back!!

Room Tip: I recommend requesting one of the first few villa's (V1, 2 or 3) as they are closest to Maunday...
1  Thank Bill B
Reviewed October 12, 2011

I have been lucky enough to go to CJ a few times over the past 10 years and it is always a strikingly beautiful place. The feeling that you have temporarily arrived in paradise never gets old and I feel bad for the tanned patrons with suitcases in hand, on their way back home, as I arrive. Conversely, I have deep intense animosity for those arriving as I am lugging my bags for the long trip home.

While there, the beach is about as pristine and private as a beach can be. I had read that Grace Bay is the most beautiful in the world before going to the Regent Palms last year, and indeed, it is beautiful but compared to CJ's beach, it is like the Jones Beach on Memorial Day Weekend in terms of crowds. The only people on CJ's white powder beaches are patrons of CJ and thats how I like it.

The food options are solid and as expected, wildly expensive. But having lunch by the beach with a cold iced tea is pretty much worth it - at least for a couple days out of your stay. I was too lazy to try the food at any of the other island options but I've heard good things.

Request one of the top floor bungalows for your stay as they tend to be a little roomier - but all are clean and well-appointed. The service and staff are sometimes a bit slow but super nice and always come through in the end. Breakfast on your patio overlooking the beach with a NY Times fax is a lasting memory that I carry the remainder of the winter.

Always check your bill upon checkout as we often have found mistakes (going both for and against us).

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
#1 of 3 in Shoal Bay Village
Malliouhana, An Auberge Resort
Malliouhana, An Auberge Resort
#2 of 13 in West End Village

Been to Belmond Cap Juluca? Share your experiences!