“Modern luxury on an old island.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla

Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in West End Village
New York City, New York
“Modern luxury on an old island.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2010

Went down to the Viceroy for a wedding. Upon arrival, we were upgraded from a studio to a 1 br which was amazing. 2 bathrooms, views of the ocean, a huge deck with a plunge pool (which I guess i just another name for a private hot tub)....the room was great, the resort itself was remarkably attentive, the beaches were beautiful. Minus a few things happening on the super slow "Caribbean Time", I don't have a bad thing to say. (and for the record, I tried to embrace the slower pace of everything and blamed it on me being on NYC time.....)

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2010

Went to this hotel and my first impression was that from Meads Bay it looks like an ugly cruise ship anchored against the rocks. It has ruined the landscape of Barnes Bay and Meads Bay.

Way overpriced rooms, food etc... sure it is luxury but how much chicken does one need for $2000.00 a night?

Service was ackward and slow, seems like the staff do not understand the expectations of American star ratings.

I can tell you of many better spots on this great island to go without the big price tag.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank theace1958
Charlotte, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2010

My husband and I chose the Viceroy for our 10th wedding anniversary. We basically stumbled upon it online and after consulting Trip Advisor and discovering a buy one night/get one free offer, we were in! The ambiance and decor is simply breathtaking. No expense has been spared...the place is dripping in travertine and is beautifully designed with a modern but classy Miami-type flair. You get the best of both worlds...cliffs and perfectly beautiful tucked away beaches. There are photo opps around every corner. A few days before we were to arrive, we decided to explore the idea of renewing our vows. Rosina (the wedding planner) couldn't have been more accommodating. She was prompt with every email exchange, and she provided options (with links) to various pastors/faith denominations and photographers. (It was nice to have a selection of vendors/clergy to choose from.) When we met her in person, she had a gleaming smile and seemed to be genuinely excited for our celebration. We are so glad that we renewed our vows because it couldn't have been a more beautiful/intimate setting. We were also thrilled with Derrys Richardson (the photographer Rosina recommended). I asked him for a 30-minute session, and even having been paid in advance, he proceeded to stay for over two hours and took us all over the premises to capture photographers in various locations. He totally exceeded our expectations. My husband and I had a couples massage which was very nice. The electric/heated massage tables and linens were to die for! So were the heated towels at the end. Rashim (who was great) at the beach took us on a little mini catamaran cruise. It was awesome to see the hotel/grounds from the ocean...I didn't realize how enormous the Viceroy is until out at sea to see! We just got a standard room with a plunge pool, and it was more than ample. The ceilings are probably 13 ft, and it just feels very spacious and luxurious everywhere. Our bathroom was enormous. The bed was uber comfy. The view was killer. There was nothing more we needed. It was always quiet...the only sound we could ever hear from our room was the waves crashing on the shore. The only significant area of improvement needed is with food/drink service. At the Sunset Lounge there were always 3-4 servers huddled in the corner chatting away, and I sometimes felt like the didn't even see us. I ordered sushi by the pool with a glass of wine. The wine was forgotten, and I finished my plate before it came. The Aleta pool service was equally slow, and I wasn't impressed with the dining service there either. We met a large group of friends during our stay, and I'd say the average wait time on a drink (even a beer) was 15 minutes. Everyone at the hotel that we ran into was joking about how slow the drink service was. We finally went to the grocery store and bought vodka, wine and beer so we could replenish ourselves (in our rooms), as it was much quicker to make a run to the room than wait for a drink. Overall, I'd definitely recommend this hotel, and I hope that I will be lucky enough to make it back someday. You cannot beat the beauty, and even though the service can be slow, everyone is very friendly.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Brewster, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2010

This was our first trip to Anguilla. We were a party of 4--my husband, myself, our eleven year old son and our twenty one year old daughter. We had planned a short getaway to relax and unwind and the Viceroy Anguilla surpassed all our expectations. This is a luxe and beautiful property. The resort is built on the West End and offers two pristine sandy beaches on either side. Each was a quick walk from our suite and the beaches' waters and sand were perfection. Our family was upgraded to a two bedroom suite which was luxurious and beautifully appointed with two bedrooms, huge baths, large living and dining areas, two plunge pools, and expansive patios. The common areas of the property, including the reception area, complement Anguilla natural beauty and water views. The architecture and furnishings create a sense of relaxation and tranquility throughout the property. The fitness center is well appointed and centrally located. The resort's three pools are individually unique and gorgeous, each with their own restaurant and food and beverage service. But it is ultimately the staff that bring this property to life with their genuine Anguillan friendliness and attentiveness. Frankie at the Aleta pool, Rachim at watersports, Catalina at reception, Martin, the Food and Beverage Manager and many others we met, worked to ensure that our stay was absolute perfection. They succeeded--we will certainly return. This is a new property and certainly,one not to be missed! Flying in is super simple--there are direct flights on American Eagle to Anguilla or you can fly to St. Maarten and take a short ride on a comfortable boat to Anguilla. From there, it is short cab ride to the resort.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2010

I was at the Viceroy for a week and would for sure go back! The hotel is amazing! My best friend was getting married there - we went the Monday before to help her get all the details ironed out. Rosina the wedding planner is AWESOME!! She made sure every request the bride had was tended too. I know it was a little scary for her getting married somewhere sight unseen but everything was wonderful! We were in a villa - the decor, the food, the service was all outstanding. We had several butlers - Alex, Travis and Clement - they were all great. Get to know Remy - I am not sure what his job is supposed to be bc he did a little bit of everything - he took us to the grocery store, served a huge crowd drinks at the pool, arranged cabs, recommended restaurants, etc. The weather the first few days we were there wasnt great but no one can help that and by the end of the trip we forgot it ever rained. I would suggest going on the Gotcha boat tour one day to snorkel, swim, and have lunch. The food at the Viceroy is very good but if you want to go somewhere that isnt at the resort I would suggest Veya - it was great! We also went to Blanchards, Johnnos, and Jacala --- we didnt have a bad meal on the trip! The spa services were good but I do wish there was more of a "quiet room" that wasnt right by the reception desk. The pools at the hotel are beautiful and there is access to the beach - if you arent a pool person then you may be disappointed. All in all I think the Viceroy is a fabulous place for a vacation, wedding, or a honeymoon! Hopefully one day I can go back!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Naperville, IL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2010

So, overall, I felt, 'wow, the best thing about this place is the furniture and art are gorgeous' but that is not what i choose a vacation spot for. my husband chose this place for something different and luxurious. It was our first time together going to the Caribbean besides Riviera Maya, Mex. But really, the service at Viceroy was no better than any AI resort in Mexico we'd been to, and maybe even less impressive. Our room had a major leak in the wall causing large puddles of water on the floor, and they didn't seem concerned or eager to correct the problem. They moved us down the hall to a similar room when it finally got to be really bad (my poor toddler was slipping and falling). I guess it would have been nice to have received an upgrade or a sense of concern for our wellbeing and/or satisfaction.
We really enjoyed the pool on the spacious balcony, and the beautiful ocean view. Our room was really close to the ocean, as it seems all the rooms are.
The food was disappointing is some respects. We thought there'd be fresh tropical fruit, but it was all imported and the same as back home in Chicago. No fresh juice, even. The rest of the food was pretty good, but Coba was out of the local crayfish/crawfish whatever, which I'd wanted to try, so instead they gave me lobster which was decent.
Blanchard's restaurant up the road offsite was a nice romantic spot w/fine cuisine (left the kids w/a sitter).
The folks at the restaurants were nice, good service, and the pool lady was very friendly. The ferry people (Fun Time) were quite rude to us on the way back to St. Maarten. The beaches were pretty. Nice sand, clear turquoise sea. We had fun in the pool, despite the mosquitoes in the palapas.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank funfam07
Savannah, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2010

5 star accomodation equivalent to any high end comtemporary setting in Miami Beach. Not your typical Anguillan resort. Staff was not in sync with a 5 star hotel and need much training. Front desk was very accomodating. Unfortuantely the beach was very hard to access, as the new beach club and entrance had not been completed.

Rooms were fabulous and spacious and the food very good.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MOSSAV
BrentHall, Director of Sales at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla, responded to this review, October 14, 2010
Thank you for your feedback about yor recent stay with us. We apologize that our service levels did not meet you expectations and would like to discuss your experience personally with you. Please contact me via e-mail at brent.hall@viceroyanguilla.com.
Also consider these accommodations in or near West End Village
Cap Juluca
Cap Juluca
#5 of 13 in West End Village
CuisinArt Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla? Share your experiences!