“Absolutely stunning”

Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in West End Village
Reviewed March 5, 2010

Just returned from a four-night stay at the Viceroy. I don’t even know where to start with the superlatives. It is simply the most amazing place I have ever stayed and I don’t consider myself easily pleased. This was our second trip to Anguilla – we stayed at Cap Juluca in September (my review of that resort is also on Trip Advisor) and liked the island so much that we jumped at the chance to return this year.

We were warmly welcomed when we arrived with cold towels and a drink. The lobby as well as all the common areas is absolutely stunning. We had reserved a rooftop studio room but were upgraded to a one-bedroom oceanfront suite, which was a great way to start our visit. We were given a tour of the property on the way to our stunning room. Our room did face the building where construction is ongoing, as some others had reported. However, we quickly decided the upgrade was worth having a little extra noise during the day. The view was still amazing with a full ocean view and the large pool directly below. We never felt bothered by any of the construction throughout our stay.

We ended up eating at the resort every meal while we were there and each meal was fantastic. The breakfasts are complimentary with made to order omelets, fresh fruits as well as baked items. We always had lunch at the beach, then dinner at the fantastic Coba restaurant. The prices are pretty high compared to US norms but average for a nice restaurant on the island, from our experience.

We had been disappointed in the level of service at Cap Juluca but we found that the service at the Viceroy was much better. The staff go out of their way to say hello to you and just seemed to be happier to get you what you needed than at Cap Juluca. We had read reports about slow service but we didn’t experience that too often. I think the management has probably heard those complaints and gone out of their way to fix them. The GM (Jan – pronounced “Yan”) came and introduced himself to us and was always very visible and accessible throughout our stay.

We both used the exercise facilities and my wife took some spin classes. All the facilities were clean and there was plenty of space to accommodate everyone who wanted to be there. My wife also had a massage at the spa and reported that it was phenomenal.

If I had to list one thing that was less than ideal, it would be that you have to take a shuttle to the beach club area. It was only a few minute ride, but it’s not like you can just walk out of your room onto the beach like Cap Juluca, for example – you can, howver, if you are in one of the villas that are directly on a small, more secluded beach. I guess we could have walked over to that beach as it is right below the Sunset lounge & pool area but the main beach area is probably a 1/3 mile walk down the beach from the actual resort. In the big scheme of things, this was a very minor issue and I wouldn’t let it detract from you staying there.

We thoroughly enjoyed the Viceroy and look forward to returning very soon.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
BrentHall, Director of Leisure Sales at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2010

We are absolutely delighted in your comments about our resort and want to thank you for taking the time to post your experience to Trip Advisor. We find this forum a very valuable medium for new and returning guests to the resort.
As we are in the final phase of completion we currently have access to Meads Bay beach unavailable, but once complete guests will be able to walk directly to Meads Bay beach from the resort.
We look forward to welcoming you to the resort again. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed February 28, 2010

Just back from the Viceroy Anguilla where I hosted a large group of families in most of their villas and many of their suites, and I must say that I was overly impressed with the experience. Indeed, the Viceroy exceeded my expectation. And no, for you skeptics out there, I am not being paid to write this nor am I part of the Viceroy management team. I am a luxury travel consultant from New York who handles some of the most discriminating A-list clients in the world and had traveled extensively. While the resort is not yet finished, the experience they were able to provide was fantastic. This is the very best value in the Caribbean now, hands down, especially if you are going to book one of their 4 or 5 bedroom villas. Their beachfront villas will make you feel as though you died and went to heaven, especially watching the waves from your infinity-edge pool. A dedicated maid and butler make sure all your needs are met. The maid will be with you nearly 12 hours, helping feed the kids, made lunch or anything else you need. She even did our laundry! Ours even introduced us to some of her local favorites which she whipped up on the spot. She and our butler helped coordinate an amazing barbeque poolside. No more than 10 steps from our villa was a beautiful sandy beach. The resort is super-sexy and perfect for people who like South Beach and the Cove in the Bahamas. Food is fabulous, though, admittedly, a bit slow in the restaurant. Their main restaurant, Coba, is super sexy and feels like you are on a cruise ship as fronts the sea atop a small bluff. Access to their main beach is closed while the resort is completed, but a car picks you up at your villa and has you there in about 2-3 minutes. The beach is beautiful, on Mead’s Bay (the same as Malliouhana) and has an assortment of lounge chairs and fluffy couches. Granted it is not the most convenient, but for the price you are paying, it is perfect and forgivable. However, being in a villa, we only ventured to the main beach once as we never wanted to leave our piece of beachfront paradise.

If you have a family that wants a great villa experience or want to go away for 2 or 3 other couples, run, don’t walk to the Viceroy Anguilla before their rates jump into the stratosphere that they belong.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank JackOV

Thank you for your favorable comments about your experience at our resort on Trip Advisor. We are especially thrilled that as a Luxury Travel Professional you found your expectations exceeded as we know that travel professional are very particular when it comes to resorts
We look forward to welcoming you nack to the resort upon final phase of completion.

Reviewed February 26, 2010

Our stay at The Viceroy was wonderful. We started our vacation in a suite withe a rooftop plunge pool, however the water was too cool so we asked maintainence to correct the problem. David, the head of engineering worked on our pool for about two hours and then told us he realized we were on "holiday" and he wanted to relocate us to a Villa at no expense. The Villa's (number11) was 4800 square feet, 4 bedroom, our own pool, hot tub, maid and butler---this is for two people!! Our maid became our new and BEST friend--the person you kissed and hugged upon departure; unfortunately our "butler" was way in to overkill to the point I would terminate his services if he reported to me.
Yes, there are minor issues, in my opinion, to be addressed to finish polishing this fantasic resort, but we throughly enjoyed our stay and would highly recommend the Viceroy to family and or friends.We would return in a heartbeat!!!!

2  Thank steven9179
Reviewed February 21, 2010

I could rave for days, but I won't waste too much time and space repeating what everyone else is now learning since the last 2 reviews echo my feelings exactly. We stayed at the Viceroy for 6 nights recently and everything about it was wonderful. The rooms are amazing (large, great views, beautiful finishes/fixtures, etc), the setting of the Sunset Bar and pool is a memory that I'll never forget, and the staff is both professional and incredibly friendly. The 2 minor complaints are: 1) construction is ongoing, so direct access to the beach is temporarily on hold (I actually saw this as a plus because it made the beach feel that much more private); and 2) service at the Sunset Bar is a bit slow (but we loved passing the time on the outdoor beds, couches, and Checkers/Backgammon tables overlooking the sea). Between the amazing decor and the many friends that we made with the staff at Viceroy, we had a vacation that we'll cherish forever. By the way, Anguilla also happens to be an amazing island unto itself, but that's another story!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple

We are so happy that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and want to thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor.
We are working on improving the service in the Sunset Lounge and have comprehensive and ongoing training in place for all our staff.
We are in the final phase of completion and will debut a finished resort in the fall of this year. Once complete Meads Bay Beach access will be available from the resort directly.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Anguiila in the future.

Reviewed February 19, 2010

I don't usually write review, but I do read Trip Advisor often and felt compelled to rave about this hotel. It was incredible in every way.
I'm very, very particular about the hotels that I visit and this one is at the top of my list! You might call me a hotel snob!
From the moment you drive into the hotel - it is fabulous, breathtaking. Everything about it from the lobby, the Sunset Bar, the Sunset pool, the incredible view from every area of the hotel is wonderful. The rooms are "to die for" - we stayed in a one bedroom suite and it was huge, gorgeous, with a tremendous bathroom, large bedroom and large living room, very large outdoor deck with a view that was great.

The staff cannot do enough for you - you don't even have to ask for anything - they think of what you want before you even thought of it! Thanks to Remy and Sally at the pool. The management is on top of everything - always walking around and taking the time to speak with everyone. Manager is Jan Tibaldi and he is extremely personable and goes out of his way to please all his guests. The entire staff was the best - from the manager to the housekeepers. Not one complaint from me and that is really saying something!

Everything about the resort is first class from the building materials to the decor - down to the last detail. It was absolutely wonderful and my husband and I cannot wait to return to Viceroy Anguilla!!
Errol & Nance Bier

1  Thank cheesecake92

Thank you for your recent comments about your trip to Viceroy Anguilla. We are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us. We have shared your comments about the stellar service your received from Remy and Sally at the pool. They were thrilled to have been mentioned on Trip Advisor.
Again, thank you for your time. We look forward to welcoming you back to Anguilla.

Reviewed February 18, 2010

My wife and I just returned from our stay at the Viceroy Anguilla - simply put it's an amazing property. We have traveled to the island before as well as throughout the Caribbean and have yet to come across a property of this caliber. Here's a breakdown for what it's worth.
Pro's:
-The rooms and bathrooms are very spacious, obviously with up-to-the-minute amenities
-The new staff is pleasant and everywhere (keep in mind, 'island time' still exists)
-The GM Jan makes himself available throughout the day to converse with guests and isn't afraid to roll up his sleeves to get something accomplished.
-Breakfast is included and it offers the perfect start to the day
-Fitness center and spa have a lot to offer
-Sunset lounge is an amazing spot for music and drinks at sunset
-The temporary beach club that's set up during construction has everything you need for a great day on the beach. They make it seamless.
Con's:
-A little bit of island time in getting drinks at sunset lounge. This should change as the new staff finds their way.
-The rough seas the past few days crept into Coba and it had to be closed temporarily. Operations were moved to Aleta which is a beautiful setting in and of itself.
Overall, the Viceroy provides an alternative to the typically rustic and dated Caribbean hotels. You get the benefit of all the island has to offer outside the gates, and just an absolutely pristine, sexy, spacious experience inside the gates. As the Viceroy cuts it's teeth over the next few weeks and months, it will only get better. Can't recommend staying there enough.

4  Thank vinoboy

We are thrilled that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and want to thank you for taking the time to post your experience on Trip Advisor.
As we are a newly opened resort we do agree with your statement about "island time"and we are working on stepping up the service and continue to work with the staff to improve.
Our restaurant, Coba is reopened and serving delicious meals again.
Thank you again for your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to our Anguilla Paradise

Reviewed February 9, 2010

My wife and I went to Viceroy for 4 nights away from the kids and were very impressed with how this resort came out.
Built on the former Cocoloba site, it is on the opposite end of the Meads Bay crescent from Malliouhana. The resort is gorgeous and the setting spectacular (unless you insist upon walking right from your room to the beach) but we heard horror stories about them being overwhelmed during the holidays and we certainly had our share of service issues while staying there in late Jan.
That said, just yesterday, I spent 25 minutes on the phone with the GM sharing our complete experience with him. Bottom line is that they know what needs to be fixed and I am confident they will get it done. We have stayed at Malliouhana and Cuisinart in the past and would definitely consider Viceroy for our return.
Our specific room category was not available when we arrived and they tried putting us in a larger room but one that faced the construction side. When we expressed concern about this, they gave us another similar room, slightly further from the construction but still facing it. Finally, they upgraded us to the most amazing 4 BR villa that should have had Robin Leach filming a "Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous" show there.
The GM has informed me that they have already taken action regarding the construction-facing rooms by clearly noting them on the reservations website.
The servers in the Sunset Lounge (really the best place on the island to watch the sun set) were slow and unresponsive but they have heard this from others and have all hands on deck for the sunset hour.
One morning, a sullen server informed my wife that breakfast service was ending in 15 minutes and that she better hurry up.
The resort is beautiful from the moment you drive through the entrance to the walk from the lobby to the Sunset Lounge and Adult (with lots of kids in it) pool whose path is lined with enough marble to have decommissioned a quarry.
The restaurant has amazing views of the Caribbean from every seat.
The "Beach Club" building is actually a slightly dressed up double-wide trailer that used to serve as a sales center - it needs to be replaced. Another miss on the service is when my wife ( a surgeon) offered to help a guest with her lacerated toe. She helped clean and tape it up and there was no real acknowledgement/thanks (much less a free drink or lunch) from management for how she helped them.
Many rooms have "plunge pools" which, in reality are the size of hot tubs but without heaters. To use at night, it would be helpful to have them heated.
So to summarize, watch for the ratings that show that service has improved then go for a very memorable vacation.
One general note about transportation - taxis are very expensive so consider renting a car.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank abadvisor
BrentHall, Director of Leisure Sales at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2010

Thank you for talking the time to post your experience at our resort on Trip Advisor. It is only through feedback like yours that we can continue to improve our service to our guests.

I sincerely apologize for the lack of service you experienced during your stay with us. We are taking many steps to improve the level of service we provide and have a comprehensive training program that we are implementing for all employees.

A special thank you to your wife for assisting with the lacerated toe of one of our guests while you were at the beach club. We are very grateful that she was there to assist.

Also consider these accommodations in or near West End Village
#1 of 13 in West End Village
Belmond Cap Juluca
Belmond Cap Juluca
#5 of 13 in West End Village

Been to Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla? Share your experiences!