“A Favorite!”

Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in West End Village
Westfield, New Jersey
“A Favorite!”
Reviewed July 24, 2014

Stunning setting - the hotel grounds are beautiful, multiple pool areas, low key, relaxing...pool/beach service is somewhat lacking - not the most attentive staff but friendly and obliging when asked...the open air bar area is a great place to meet and mingle...we had a gorgeous 2bedroom suite with full kitchen, living area and fabulous lanai that included a hot tub, multiple outdoor seating/dining options...on site dining was pricey and unextraordinary but there are several fun restaurants within a safe walking distance (accessible by walking beach at low tide - bring flashlights or cell phones)...
We really enjoyed our 5 day stay stay and have recommended it highly...the only criticism we have is that as a 5 star resort, the concierge/staff service was somewhat uneven and slow to engage...
FYI: The hotel location is somewhat solitary and a distance from stores, etc - small locally owned grocery store located across from entrance to hotel has a little of everything which is helpful in a pinch

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Crsmly
Richard A, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Thank you for calling us "A Favorite" and for your positive feedback. We also appreciate hearing about your experience with service as we continually seek perfection and always strive to be attentive.
We hope to welcome you back again to Viceroy Anguilla. Thank you for staying with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I've travelled to Anguilla a few times before the Viceroy was built. Upon arrival we were greeted with a friendly -front desk- check in. The property is immaculate, it is beyond stunning. They have gorgeous views of Meads Bay and the best Sunset on the Island. The spa also has a stunning pool if you decide to get a treatment. The rooms were super comfortable and the bed was extra large and comfortable. It was so quiet and relaxing.
The sushi was delicious at Sunset Lounge. We dined our last night at Coba. The staff were so accommodating and gave us the best seat in the house. We even ordered lobster, shrimp pizza on the beach. I would go back in a heart beat. The staff are very friendly and service for the most part is on point. At times- it can be a bit slower than say NY - what we are used to. We only found this on the beach in particular. They don't really set up your chairs or bring you water. If you are ok with doing that yourself. I would say that's my only complaint.
Going to Anguilla in the off season is also advised. The hotel also offers wireless if you want to check emails. If you go to Anguilla and you want to be blown away stay here! You don't really need to leave the property.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NwhyC N
We love to hear from guests who have visited Anguilla before our Viceroy resort opened. It's so nice to hear that you found the property to be immaculate and enjoyed the gorgeous views of Meads Bay. We truly appreciate your kind words and hope to welcome you back to Viceroy Anguilla again!
Florida
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Some mag rated the Viceroy in the TOP 100 resorts in the world...it's deserved. During our stay we encountered genuine high end service, attention to detail, and a great local vib. Given the resort appeared to be less than full capacity it did not diminish our experience. We used the spa, fitness, pools, bars, restaurants, and beaches. We toured the entire property and found nothing that was out of sorts. A bit pricey and expected because it's the Caribe way. Plan on $50 spiny lobster meal and $15 + on cocktails. Rent a car and tour the Island...it's fun and easy. Reasonable taxi service available. Ferry runs to St Marten and other nearby island and ferry dock is about 10 minutes from hotel for about $20/person. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Check out the Sand Bar. It's a small island just of the coast and only accessible by boat. Water...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank RCcruiser999
We're so glad you found the perfect combination of service and serenity during your stay with us.
Thank you for sharing your experience with us and others who visit TripAdvisor for recommendations. You certainly provided terrific tips for future guests.
We hope to welcome you back again.
United States
Reviewed July 16, 2014

A gorgeous luxurious hotel with minimalist look. We went with another family and rented a 5 bedroom villa with a butler. I cannot tell you how spacious it was. Beautifully decorated with neutral colors, high end appliances in the kitchen and an extremely well manicured terrace. Unfortunately the service of this hotel did not match the structure. The butler underperformed, never remembered our orders, and sometimes went MIA. Service on the beach was weak as well. Several times we asked our butler in the morning to have the our chairs ready by the beach only to go down later and find that its not. When you stay at a 5 star hotel, you are not required to carry your towels to the lounge chairs by the beach and fix them on the chairs. It should be done, PERIOD!!! The hotel is big, so you do not get personal attention. I like to have that personal touch therefore as gorgeous as the hotel is, it had nothing to invite me back.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank GoldAdvice
Thank you for your positive comments and for sharing your experiences with us. The butler service is not what is expected or tolerated and we will certainly look into this and correct it. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
We hope you'll come back for a visit and allow us to show you that our gorgeous property can provide exceptional service.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 13, 2014

We stayed at one of the townhouses with a group of friends for a girls vacation, specifically unit #138 and could not have imagined better accommodations. The Viceroy is everything you expect from a luxury resort, but the townhouse made the trip amazing. Unit #138 was located on the corner which meant we had a view of the water AND the beach and could even access the beach from the back of the unit. It seemed bigger than the other townhouses, and i think had a larger private pool and hot tub. The bedrooms were huge, each with extremely spacious bathrooms, private pool, private hot tub, balconies galore, giant kitchen, laundry room, etc. We heard that a number of celebrities had rented this unit, and apparently Victoria's Secret rented it out for a shoot! Staying in the townhouse really allowed us to have accommodations that allowed us to easily hang around together - and it is hard to please a large group of women! Highly recommended!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank mdmmoisel
Richard A, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
It's a pleasure to read your comments and I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Viceroy Anguilla. It sounded as though Room #138 was perfect for your girls' weekend. While families and couples also enjoy the resort, from your review it will be easy for others to see that the resort also lends itself to a getaway for friends! Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We hope to welcome everyone in your party back to Anguilla again soon.
Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 9, 2014

My family and I stayed at this resort for 11 nights. I loved this resort. It is a large resort , beautiful contemporary design. A lot of stone and neutral colors. We stayed in Margate 2 bedroom 2.5 bath overlooking Meads Bay. I would like to start off by saying that the room is huge. King bed, full bath in the master bedroom, second bedroom two queen, full bathroom. A full kitchen, dining room/living room where my son stayed on the rollaway bed. The room was so big you didn't even notice the rollaway bed and a washer/dryer with detergent and static guard. Large balcony with sofa two chairs and a heated plunge pool with jets. Sadly the plunge pool was leaking. Where the water was going? I do not know. Room was cleaned everyday and turndown service as well. Bottles of water left each night. Housekeeping did a great job. I requested at check in a specific time to have housekeeping come each day and they honored it everyday and evening. Asked for extra towels and coffee and they left it. The kids club is behind the Margate bldg, so we heard the screaming kids and barking dog every morning. I will request next time which bldg I would like to stay in. Ideally the Dorado bldg would be the best.

This resort has two beaches, and three pools. Barnes Bay beach, Meads Bay beach. Sunset pool which is 21 and older, Aleta pool, and Meads Bay pool for families and kids. The Aleta pool does not say it is for adults only, but most families with kids stuck to the kids pool over by Meads Bay.This was nice as my kids are older but not old enough for the sunset pool and it was pretty quiet at the Aleta pool. All pools and beaches have service. The best service we had was at the Aleta pool from set up of chairs to having lunch and drinks delivered to us. Kirin is a very hard worker at the Aleta pool. Meads Bay pool we sat on chairs for about 15 minutes and no one came over we then went to the towel table and no towels. I had to walk back to the beach to ask for towels. Service was not very good near that pool. We ate at Bamboo once for lunch, it was a good lunch. Don't expect service at the pool or beach. The beach service was pretty much non existent. They set our chairs up and gave us a bucket of water and never saw them again. We went to the beach twice during our stay and both times no service and they were saving chairs for people.

The sea center offers non motorized toys, along with a gentlemen that will pull you on his tube and hot dog for a fee of 20$ per person. Personally, I did not like the fact that the boats were crossing the shore line close. Not safe. The winds were so strong that we went out twice on the Hobie cat. The resort also has a putting green, bocce ball, volleyball, rock climbing wall, basketball court and tennis courts. All charges. But on our check out bill they did not charge us. :) The kids enjoyed the basketball court and rock climbing wall.

The SPA was nice. Hubby, son and his GF had a massage. They said it was wonderful. The mens locker room and sauna was closed for maintenance so that was disappointing. My daughter and I went for pedicures, nice and relaxing. Beautiful view from the SPA overlooking the sea. Husband, son and GF went back the day before we left for another massage, they said it was even better than the first one and the sauna was open. They highly recommend the spa.

Breakfast was good at Aleta. The continental breakfast included hot eggs, pancakes, sausage, and potatoes for $20 or you could order from the menu.The coconut french toast was good. On July 1st they changed it to Coba. This buffet was much better than Aleta and much more expensive. Could not order from the menu. Basically the same food on the buffet, our Aleta bill for 5 people ranged from 126.00-136.00. Our bill at Coba was $180.00 for 5 of us. Breakfast service was very slow, and even slower to get the check.

Overall, The Viceroy is a very nice resort. They need to do something about the lack of service on the beach and Meads Bay pool. Let me tell you, tipping does not matter. I'm ok without the service, but make it easier to get the towels.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank djbPennsyvania
It's important for us to receive reviews such as yours so we can learn about all your experiences.Thank you for your honesty and for sharing your vacation time with us! We're so glad your family found it to be an amazing stay and we always like to see those words as the heading to a review.
Thank you again for staying with us at Viceroy Anguilla. We hope to welcome your family back to our tropical island.
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 8, 2014

It is truly a shame that the customer service at this hotel is so horrendous because the hotel is absolutely stunning. The views and beach are incredible. (Although Shoal's bay is my favorite).

I went knowing that a lot of people had awful customer service and thinking that because I'm not a picky person then it shouldn't be a huge issue.. but it really was. And I urge anyone who thinks this way to truly consider going to another resort.

The first taste of this horrendous service was even before getting to the hotel. I had called to schedule a private ferry from St. Martin to Anguilla and as soon as I started speaking the person on the other end would hang up the phone. This happened twice. My husband called and he was treated very rudely. At this point I was already getting worried and considering cancelling the whole stay which I honestly regret not doing.

As soon as we check-in the lady at the front desk told us that there was a shortage of keys (we later realized that the hotel was practically empty) therefore we could only get one key and I asked her if we split up how is the one with no key going to get in and she said, just knock the door and your husband will let you in. (Not only rude but dumb as well). We were sent to a room which was on the highest floor and the furthest room from anything else. Across from our room there was a large plot of land with some random person's house with two dogs who would bark at random hours of the night. At 4:30am (every single morning) a bird outside our door would start singing waking us up as well. It was impossible to sleep. The worst part was the creaky bed. Every time my husband would turn I would get woken up. I spoke to front desk about this and they promised to send someone to fix it, but of course, no one ever showed.

Going to the Bamboo lounge was another annoyance. The first time we went no one even acknowledged us until the bartender yelled what we wanted to drink and we were surprised since no one even gave us a menu. The second time, the waiter messed up my order and gave me and my husband the nastiest look. I can't even describe how awkward it was. The third time it was as if my husband and I were invisible so we left. We started going to the Straw Hat at the Frangipani hotel which has way better and had friendlier customer service (and drinks were $10 instead of $16).

The sunset lounge is absolutely gorgeous and service there is a lot more courteous but getting a menu and being served lunch was at least a 2 hour ordeal (we ordered sushi).

When I couldn't take the bad customer service and lack of sleep any more I wrote to Richard Alexander, the general manager. This was Thursday at 4am having just been woken up by the creaky bed hoping that we could at least get another room that was a little closer, a little quieter and with no creaky bed. I would've been happy with that. I didn't get a response until Sunday night (when we had obviously already left). Though he offered a 3 night stay I would never return.

This hotel is definitely not worth the price. The island has other gorgeous hotels so I would suggest you do a little research and not stay at the Viceroy, and of course, do not go to the Bamboo lounge!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
#1 of 3 in Shoal Bay Village
Cap Juluca
Cap Juluca
#5 of 13 in West End Village

Been to Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla? Share your experiences!