“Caribean dream and luxury pure” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla

Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in West End Village
Stuttgart, Germany
“Caribean dream and luxury pure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Viceroy in Anguilla for our anniversairy. We enjoyed it a lot, it was the perfect location to celebrate something special. Start the day with a healthy breakfast, spend the day on the beach, get pampered at the SPA and finaly the best view on the sunset with a good cocktail at sunset lounge. We were lucky to stay in the week where all the caribean chefs from the Island had the annual event. What a fun and yumm event. We highly recomend this resort because it give's you all you need to relax.

Room Tip: it depends on the size of the party who travels - we had the 1 bedroom studio
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Richard A, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
We greatly appreciate your wonderful review and are delighted that you experienced such a relaxing week at Viceroy Anguilla. I'm sure the other readers will appreciate your tips for creating a perfect day and will be jealous they missed the island Chef event.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Anguilla!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2014

My wife and I are big fans of the Caribbean Islands and had wanted to visit Anguilla for sometime - the deciding factor in choosing the Viceroy was the Rooftop Studio which we felt was unique in comparison to similar hotels and resorts across the Caribbean.

We were extremely disappointed with our stay. Specific problems we had were primarily noise related: We arrived late on a Sunday evening and wanted to get an early night (10pm-ish) because of the travel. Opening the doors to our room in the hope of hearing the sounds of the sea and the warm air (we are in the Caribbean, right?!), the dominating sound was from the bar where a movie was playing at high volume. When we told the staff on reception, they said there was nothing they could do, and that they couldn't guarantee that there wouldn't be similar noise on other nights. The movie carried on past 11.30pm.

We moved the following day to a lower standard of room (room 103 is an excellent room, by the way - and the sound of the surf breaking on the rocks was amazing) and had a similar problem with noise the following Saturday - one of the restaurants had been booked for a wedding reception and the guests had the music so loud that even with all of the windows closed, the music from the wedding was still very audible past midnight. Having two nights sleep disrupted by noise wasn't great although we were offered a complimentary massage to make up for the sleep disruption which was kind.

More generally, whilst a beautiful hotel, the asthetics have stripped away any feeling of being in the West Indies - you feel like you could anywhere in the world. Maybe that's OK... but the West Indies are such a unique collection of islands, that it was disappointing that there were no efforts to acknowledge their culture at all (no steel drums, calypso, rum punches, fried plantain etc,etc!) The rooms we stayed in / visited (we were shown a choise of two different rooms to replace the rooftop studio) whilst immaculate were very dark - the balcony area does not get much sunlight and there is poor light penetration into the room. Although the hotel advertises 5 (?) restaurants, generally only one or a maximum of two are open at any one time which significantly limits choice, particularly for dinner, and particularly if you have dietary restrictions. Fortunately, there were a couple of excellent restaurants either end of the beach...

Whilst we stayed at the hotel, there was a wedding and two different sets of conference parties - the result was overcrowding and a wait for tables for up to 20 minutes at breakfast and lunch (annoying, given the limited choice of restaurant) and the atmosphere of being at a work conference when on the beach, in the bar or wandering around the hotel... not great, when the objective was to try to get away from work to relax.

The staff in general were friendly and helpful (particularly the staff on the beach and the concierge) - we were given a choice of rooms when leaving the rooftop studio and were shown around the rooms by a friendly staff member. The beach on Meads Bay is fantastic although the sea can be rough as it is an Atlantic coastline.

In general, the experience was very disappointing for the price we paid when compared to other similar resorts we've stayed in both in the Caribbean and worldwide - I guess it would be an amazing place to stay if you were on a conference and someone else was paying... but definitely not worth spending £1k per night if you are looking for relaxation, tranquility and a rest. Such a shame...

Room Tip: Try to ask for a room directly overhanging the sea, rather than one with a sea / garden view.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank cmb8008
Richard A, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
We appreciate your review and apologize for it not living up to your expectations.
The West Indies is indeed a unique collection of islands and Viceroy Anguilla provides a more contemporary approach to decor and atmosphere.
Thank you again for sharing your experience as we take every comment into consideration as we continue to strive to provide a great experience for our guests.
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2014

This resort is absolutely stunning - everywhere you look. This is mostly due to Anguilla being so beautiful! The water is a beautiful turquoise and the beaches are powdery soft. It looks like paradise! And the hotel design is just beautiful; very enjoyable open spaces.
The rooms are lovely and spacious - especially the bathrooms! Walk-in closet, separate toilet, glass shower and soaker tub with ocean views and large double vanity. We also had a plunge pool on our room patio. The furniture does show a little wear though. I did like that the room is not directly off of the main hallway, there is a vestibule first (quieter and has more privacy).
The food we had was very good, but not cheap! A lunch for four with one drink each was $250. But if you are staying here at $1,000 USD/night, you probably won't blink at that.
Service was not what one would expect at those rates. Restaurants were slow, and beach and pool service not really attentive at all. The day we all checked out everyone had a story about room service breakfast mistakes (eggs benny with no hollandaise!), but they did prepare a whole plate of yummy, perfectly ripe mango for me. Hit and miss, unfortunately. But it's so beautiful there, and once you ask/find someone, it's all good!
The beach and water - oh my. It's just exactly what you picture the Caribbean to be. I think Meads Bay may be nicer than Shoal Bay!
And their pools almost turned me into a pool person. They are so well laid out, all ocean view. The ones by the Sunset bar have an infinity pool AND padded loungers and was one of my favourite places in the whole resort.
This place oozes serenity and tropical beauty with a contemporary, clean aesthetic. The pictures don't lie - it's exactly what it looks like - beautiful!

Room Tip: Absolutely ask for or book an ocean view room.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jabulani26
We thank you for your review. It's always a pleasure hearing that our beaches didn't disappoint. Anguilla is certainly a beautiful destination and Meads Bay beach is among the most spectacular of all beaches on our island. I certainly will address the issues you experienced as this is not what we want for our guests.
Thank you again for sharing your experience.
We hope to welcome you back to our island again soon.
NJ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2014

I was in the same group as the two gentlemen below. The service was so poor that I went to review the prior tripadvisor reviews while there. It seems that they have been promising to upgrade service for a long time and have not done so. My experience began when I emailed the general manager before I arrived since the SPA would not get back to me via email. It took the GM three days to respond and when he did his response was..."Has your problem worked itself out."? Clearly the problem flows from the top. Literally, the service personnel made you feel guilty for asking them for stuff. One of our group joked about asking one of them whether they were on vacation, and could we do anything for you?

BTW, we had a group of over 100 people, so if we could not get attention I can't imagine being there without a group...

On my way off the island I met a couple who had a house on the island and they said they have been hearing about the poor service for some time. When I asked them whether this was a cultural thing with the workers they said no. The other hotels had great service.

On top of all this, immigration into Anguilla took a ridiculously long time - all to get onto a tiny little island.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank pubmitz
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor, although of course I am so disappointed that after our initial, tardy on my behalf, email communication, your stay with your fellow MD Colleagues did not live up to your expectations.
It is enormously upsetting to hear that you were made to feel as if we were doing you a favor, rather than the absolute opposite, we benefited hugely from having your group with us.
I am really very sorry for our shortfalls; you can be sure we will address these areas with vigor and improve.
Should you ever wish to re-visit us please do contact me in advance so I can ensure you receive extra special recognition and have a wonderful experience as your deserve.
Once again my deepest apologies,
Richard
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014

Had a very similar experience to joeyd1980 (review below mine), which makes sense, since we were both there with the same group... what's up Joe!
What you get here is an AMAZING property, literally one of the more beautiful properties I've been on in all the years I've travelled, gorgeous rooms, beach, meeting rooms, bars - everything is movie quality gorgeous. However, it's terribly expensive: this place rack rates around $1000/night, as they assess a 20% fee atop your normal room rate. And that doesn't cover highly overpriced food (a very light sushi meal for 2 and drinks came to almost $200; a moderate breakfast buffet for $30, drinks on average $16-$18), which might all be worth it, somehow, if it was delivered with highly attentive service, as opposed to possibly the slowest bar/food/anything service I've experienced with ANY property, let alone a place charging 1k per night. It unfortunately cast a long shadow the entire week there, and left people angry and disappointed. If this place could get its act together, would be world class. As it stands, it's beautiful on the outside, and disappointing once you get past the surface.

Room Tip: The rooms were highly varied. My understanding was any of the rooms 130-140-150 area were especiall...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank KevinSdammit
Richard A, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience. We do have a really beautiful property that accentuates Anguilla's astounding beauty. As we mentioned in the review you reference, we are very concerned about the service issues you experienced and are addressing them directly. We can assure you that there will be no reason to be conflicted, future stays will be exceed the high service standards we set so that your stay will be flawless.
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014

I was very excited to come to the Viceroy this year. We were in a large group on a mix of business and pleasure. When we arrived, the place was gorgeous, the staff was friendly, and our room was ready.

So the good stuff -- The food is amazing here. The Sushi at the Sunset Bar is so good. Get the Hot and Naked Tuna with a Pain-Killer drink. The Beaches are clean and soft with some great views. The waves are active and soothing.

Now the bad. The Service is horrible. I was appalled to see such a high class resort at this price point tolerate such a lack of service guests have come to expect from such a place. The problems were in the restaurants and at the pool. First - Breakfast is a waste. The staff is out to lunch, and they don't even smile! Breakfast was never busy as it was mostly a buffet. We had to wait at least 8-10 mins just to get noticed to be seated. Another 10 mins to get a coffee cup or silverware, and don't even bother ordering from the menu. We ordered an Egg White Frittata 2 days in a row and both times, it took 1 hour. Yes - 1 hour,......and they got the order wrong. By the time we got the order, we were already out the door. It is pathetic how slow breakfast service is at the Aleta Lounge. I don't know if it was an off day or a normal occurrence, but for our entire stay (April 2-6) this problem persisted.

The next huge problem with the service at the Viceroy is getting a drink or a towel. For the first 3 days i was there, I could not believe how long it took to get any kind of drink here. I could not get anyone's attention - no one was checking up and it was just downright frustrating. For towels by the Sunset Pool, I asked for 2 setups - and the lady said, "we're out of towels." Ok, so what's the plan then.....? There was no plan. I went to the beach. Ridiculous. I decided to goto the bar myself to get my own drinks and the bartenders could not understand, nor would they even acknowledge my order because I had a chair at the pool. I told them - please i'll order the drinks here and walk them back myself - it will be faster. They didn't seem to like this.

So in closing - I would be furious if I went here on a personal vacation where I had to foot the entire bill. For such a high rate per night, one would expect a much higher level of service. My final point is this. When Tourism is your #1 industry - this should not be allowed to happen. Island time is the most frustrating time when trying to get food or a drink, but it's great when you have food or a drink and can finally kick back and relax.

Room Tip: You want to try and get a room overlooking the ocean if possible, but The viceroy studio with the pl...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
8 Thank joeyd1980
Richard A, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
We're very happy that you enjoyed the sushi at Sunset Lounge - our culinary team creates delicious menus! We are, however, very concerned about your experiences with poor service. With such a gorgeous property in such a beautiful setting, anything that diminishes the overall experience is troubling. This is something that we are immediately addressing. We thank you for bringing it to our attention.
Chicago, Il
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014

We just returned from our second visit to the Viceroy for our family spring break. We travel with another family and in total there are 9 of us-4 adults and 5 kids (7,9,9,11,11). The Villas at the Viceroy are second to none. We have stayed in other on property villas, including the Nevis Four Seasons-and nothing compares to the Viceroys set-up. The Villas have two master suites up stairs and then two bedrooms on the first floor perfect for the kids-all with ensuite baths. The villas are appointed perfectly and upscale, yet beachy. All within the resort, not a golf cart away like some resorts...Best night sleep ever in the most comfortable beds with the waves crashing, I am still dreaming about it!!
We requested to have Jamel be our butler/personal assistant again…he is amazing and once again ensured our trip was seamless. He booked our dinner and golf reservations before we arrived and had our transportation and babysitting needs taken care of. He is outstanding with our kids and even taught the boys a thing or two on the basketball court! Really miss him and his dimples already!!
We had met Richard last year and he also was great about checking in on us and making sure everything was perfect.
The sports area is amazing for kids. Our boys spent every morning there while the adults worked out. They loved the basketball and the rock climbing wall. The tennis courts are also beautiful. If you have active kids, this complex really sets the Viceroy apart from any other resort we have been to.
Our girls loved Generation V-lots to do, crafts and hair braiding, was a great break from the sun in the afternoon.
We are all very fit and worked out every day including 3 days of bootcamp, which was great. We also used the gym on the other days and it was well appointed. The yoga on the beach looked great, but we are not yoga people.
The sunset lounge is amazing-great cocktails, amazing sushi and views that are unmatched.
The adult pool is right off the sunset lounge and has a great vibe with views that are breath-taking
The cabanas are fantastic-again, views, views, views….
One of the things we love about the resort is that it sits on Meads Bay so you can walk to many terrific restaurants, including Straw Hat and Blanchards Beach Shack-both outstanding.
We did go off campus a few times. Once to Shoal Bay, which is definitely worth the 20 min drive. The most beautiful beach with great restaurants and bars-great fun/great people.
We also golfed at the Cuisenart-Ron Johnson was great to chat with-he is in charge of the golf there. That is a quick 5 min drive and beautiful course.
Veya is a “DO NOT MISS” dining experience-did that on adult night and also loved Dolce Vita.
I could go on and on-but the thing we like the best about the Viceroy are the people. Not only do we love Jamel and think Richard is great-but others we have come to adore: Tamara and Marlene at the Bamboo pool, Jemaurah and Joanne at the sunset Lounge, Ladicia and Glenisha at the kids club, Dominque and Vernon in the gym (bootcamp) Tristan at the Rock Climbing, Kiran at the Cabanas and Harry and Glen the taxi drivers.
Last year Richard told us that if you are kind to the people on the island, they will treat you like a king/queen…I highly recommend that approach. The people are born and raised on the island and all have huge hearts…just don’t approach them with a city,” gotta have it now or I am going to start yelling” approach.
It is an amazing island with amazing people. I can’t recommend it enough. We have stayed at many 5 star+ resorts and rarely duplicate a trip-we are already booked for our third year in a row... I was sad as we were leaving and someone said to me-“hey, if you don’t leave, you can’t come back…!” That put a smile on my face knowing we will be back next year-already booked!

Room Tip: The villas are amazing-can't recommend more!!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank ChicagoLambeau
We are absolutely delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay with your friends and family. There's no better compliment than a return visit - and three is wonderful! Jamel's outstanding service and care is one reasons that our villas experiences are so special for our guests. We have informed him of your kind words and very much look forward to seeing you soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near West End Village
Cap Juluca
Cap Juluca
#5 of 13 in West End Village
CuisinArt Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla? Share your experiences!