“Fantastic Hotel”

Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in West End Village
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Fantastic Hotel”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Just stayed here and really thought it was wonderful and the top hotel on the Island (we even checked out the others- Cap Juluca, CuisinArt, etc.).
Positives: Absolutely beautiful property and location, great pools (3), fantastic beach, great tennis courts, really good restaurants, very clean, extremely nice staff. Fantastic place.
Negatives: To state the obvious.... it ain't cheap. If you have the money to spend on a very nice vacation, I see no negatives.

Room Tip: They all seemed pretty good. Its pretty well designed. Sorry for no great tips here...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Paul B
Richard A, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
It is always a pleasure to read a review describing us as "fantastic" and providing others with the fact that you've checked other hotels during your stay. Thank you so much for the review and for staying with us. We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
Paris, France
Reviewed February 24, 2014

We have 2 days while our sailboat was being repaired and we spent them at this beautiful resort. The staff is very attentive especially the beach group. Our suite was so nicely decorated and well equiped. Snorkeling around the resort was awesome. A very enjoyable experience. Highly recommended. Location is perfect.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank pandkm
Thankyou for choosing to stay with us while your sailboat was in for repairs! We certainly hope that it's back in the water and do hope that you'll select our resort again in the future.

We appreciate the great view! Thank you.
Saskatoon
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I originally wrote a review while still staying at the resort. I read it and found typographical errors. I thought also perhaps it was too harsh. Unfortunately, time has not helped and I still find myself quite critical of and very dissatisfied with this resort.
When initially booking my holiday 6 months in advance, the Viceroy staff were excellent, replying promptly, and assisting me by recommending the best room and location for our 25th wedding anniversary holiday.
We started our holiday in St. Martin, at L’Esplanade. It was perfect. They knew of our occasion and upon our arrival a card and champagne surprised us in our room. Service at L' Esplanade was amazing.
Our departure from St. Martin was February 14th, Valentines Day. I emailed the Viceroy on the 13th reminding them we were coming from St. Martin. I told them we were checking out at noon on the 14th and heading to the ferry. From this our arrival should have been and was around 1:30 p.m..
I did not receive a reply to my email. This led me to believe that the timing was fine and our room would be ready. If it wasn’t going to be, then a reply email could be sent and we simply would have left later.
We arrived at 1:30 and our room was not ready. We were told it was being cleaned at the moment and would be ready very shortly. We were encouraged to have lunch at the Resort Restaurant (not so much as a complimentary drink was offered) and we did. We were told someone would find us in the restaurant when our room was ready.
We finished eating, toured part of the resort, and at about 2:45 we returned back to the front desk. Check in is at 3 so we thought our room would be ready. We were told to wait one moment while the front desk clerk called housekeeping. We were then ignored for another 15 minutes and went for another walk. We finally checked into our room at about 3:30.
The room was not the room I had booked. I had booked a king studio room. The room we arrived in was a double queen. The deck was small and had one chair. No sitting area in the room and one chair on the deck. Not what we planned for our 25th anniversary and Valentines Day. We were told a move could not be accommodated. After a couple of unsatisfactory phone calls I made a trip to the front desk to have the matter dealt with. I was respectful but advised that the hotel had not met my expectations. I was told nothing else was available and that I was put in 301 for the view I wanted, and that king and the view were not available and that the resort was sorry. I asked them if sorry was all I was going to get and was told perhaps there would be a surprise for me later. I returned to the room and received a phone call advising they could give us a complimentary upgrade the following day to a one bedroom suite. This was appreciated but took far too long to accomplish, and the suite, 305, was wonderful with an excellent view and nice sitting area on the deck. We would have much preferred the room we had originally booked and not worrying about the bother of a move on a short 4 night stay and the stress of thinking we were going to have to stay in 301.
We now headed to the beach. We arrived at the beach at about 4:15 and went straight to the watersports counter to get a couple of kayaks. Nobody was there. We let one of the beach attendants know we wanted a kayak. He pointed out to the ocean and said that the attendant was taking someone for a Hobby Cat ride and that we should wait at the counter for his return.
We waited for a few minutes and the Hobby Cat returned to shore. The attendant waived to me and I thought this meant he was on his way. I turned around towards the counter and waited for a moment, turned around again and saw the attendant leaving the beach on the Hobby Cat again taking someone else for a ride. We waited about 15 minutes longer and finally the attendant returned. We asked for Kayaks and were told the watersports counter closes at 5, and since it was now quarter to 5, we could not take the Kayaks. We told the attendant we had been waiting for him. He was surprised and said that he works as a team with the beach attendants and that one of them should have helped us. As a foot note we never did get to kayak on our entire trip. Apparently the waves were too big. We understand the challenge of large waves when coming back on to shore and are experienced and would have been fine. The resort, however, made no exceptions. I understand this, and waves are waves, but it just makes what happened on the first day that much worse.
Now we have been at the resort for 3 ½ hours and have had nothing but negative experiences.
When I emailed the resort on the 13th I also asked that they make a valentines day dinner reservation for me around 7pm. When we checked in we were told that 7 was not available but that we had a reservation at Mangos at 6:30.
After our trip to the beach we went back to the room, my wife used the lone deck chair, and I sat in the room on one of the two queen beds. We got dressed for dinner and at 6:20 walked to the restaurant on the resort. We did not have a reservation, which made sense because the restaurant was not Mangos. We thought, alright, it must be another restaurant on the resort. We let the door attendants know and one of them helped us out by driving us on a golf cart to another restaurant which he thought may be where we were to be. It was closed. We went to the front desk and were told that Mangos is not actually on the resort and that we would have to take a taxi. This is information that should have been shared at check in. We were now concerned as it was 6:45 and recall 7 was not available which is why our reservation was at 6:30.
We arrived at Mangos after our $15 cab ride near 7. We were greeted well and welcomed for our 7pm reservation. Yes, our reservation was at 7 not 6:30.
At check in we were given a brief overview of the resort. We were told our complimentary continental breakfast was included. We had the continental breakfast twice and the American breakfast ($70) once. We signed a bill for the American breakfast (we were surprised and thought we would only be charged the difference between the continental and American price). We did not sign bills for the continental breakfasts as they didn’t bring us one which made sense to us since it was included.

When I received my bill the night before checkout it had two American breakfasts on it. This was a mistake as we only had the American breakfast once.
The next morning I brought the error the attention of the front desk staff. To my surprise I was told that my reservation did not include any breakfast because I had booked through Expedia. I told them this is not what I was told at check in. In any event I told them I did not have the American breakfast the day before. I was asked if I signed a bill for it and told them I did not. This is when a major error was made in that the desk attendant went to the signed bills from the restaurant for that day and started going through them. It is a serious mistake to suggest a guest is a liar by going through bills right after being told one was not signed. This all started to take too long and since it was our final day I advised that we were going to enjoy our last morning and I would tend to the issue when we leave in a few hours.
Upon final checkout all of the breakfast charges were removed from my bill. This was a very good gesture and great decision which was appreciated.
In addition to the above our first room had no wine glasses. We called the front desk for some but it took about 20 minutes. A spa reservation notice for another tenant was slipped under our door. The beach attendants reserve chairs for guests early in the morning, arranging the chairs (sometimes two rows so each person has a chair under the umbrella and a chair facing the sun in front of the umbrella). These chairs oftensat vacant and untouched for hours into the day while others who arrived a bit later were placed three rows back from the ocean or were told there were no chairs left. It is frustrating to stay at a resort of this calibre and have to worry about all-inclusive like early morning chair marking. Granted the childish and selfish guests involved should be ashamed but the attendants could stop the practice very easily. I am guessing the tip encourages it.
In summary, either try somewhere else when or, if you are staying at the Viceroy, set our expecations very low with regards to service so that you won’t be disappointed.

Room Tip: 305, a one bedroom suite, is a wonderful room with a beautiful view. If you book a double queen don...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Randy K
Richard A, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. It is not at all the typical experience our guests have when staying at Viceroy Anguilla. We have sent you a private message so that we may further discuss your stay.
Faribault, Minnesota
Reviewed February 22, 2014

The accommodations are awesome, but staff isn't so concerned with banging things and talking loudly at early hours in the morning. Staff is very friendly and good service. Beach is beautiful, can take a stroll to find great restaurants. They offer bikes at no cost (but beware the brakes are pretty iffy on many of them).

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experiences with us and my apologies for the loud noises from staff during the early morning. This should not happen and we will remind them to use a more appropriate tone and actions.
Also, thank you for the comment about the bikes. This will be checked into as well.
We appreciate your response and thank you for staying with us. We hope to welcome you back again!
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

Went for our honeymoon-it was the perfect experience. No one complaint besides the free breakfast-which we can't complain about because it was free. Highly suggest renting a car and exploring the island. Veya was an amazing restaurant. Will definitely be back.

• Stayed December 2013
Congratulations on your wedding and thank you for spending your honeymoon with us!

"Perfect" is a word we love to hear and we are happy to see that is the word you chose to describe your experience with us! We look forward to welcoming you back for future celebrations.
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

We arrived here last night. We woke up at 4am to loud banging noises coming from above our room so we called the front desk. They sent an engineer and apparently our room is below the main equipment for the air conditioning for the hotel and there was an issue. They said the banging noises would not go away but they were unable to switch our room bc it was the middle of the night and there was no access to the reservation system. After speaking with the manager on duty for over an hour, we were able to sleep in a different room and they said they would move is to a new room in the morning. We called in the morning and they said they would call us back. They did not call back. We called again and they said they would call back in 5 min. They did not call back. We walked to the front desk and they tried to move us to a room that was not as nice as the room we paid for and did not have a view. We were so nice up until this point, but then we lost it. They said that later tonight they will move us to a different room with a comparable view. The first night of our vacation was ruined, we spent our first morning on this issue and packing up our belongings. So far our experience has been beyond disappointing, and a total waste of vacation time and money. I will provide an update later in the trip, but at this point I highly recommend that travelers stay at a different hotel.

• Stayed February 2014
5 Thank Homdim
Richard A, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
We very much apologize for the inconveniences you experienced at the start of your vacation but hope that the rest of your stay was fantastic. If you wish to discuss this further, please send a direct message. Thank you.
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 16, 2014

The service was really exceptional. We find hotels in the Caribbean usually don't have amazing service - but this hotel was an exception. It reminded us of a well run hotel you may find in Europe. The property is large and therefore it might be a walk to the beach, one of the pools or a restaurant. We found the food to be very good at the hotel. We were pleasantly surprised. We got a room with a plunge pool - if you turn on the jets it warms up the pool! No one ever told us this so we actually didn't end up using the pool until the end of our stay as it was too cold. Also, the pool takes a very long time to warm up - over an hour. I wouldn't recommend you paying extra for this pool in your room.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
We greatly appreciate your wonderful review and I'm sure other guests will appreciate the recommendation about the plunge pool.
We strive to provide exceptional service and are pleased to read that you experienced this during your stay.
We hope to welcome you back and to providing a wonderful stay for you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near West End Village
#1 of 3 in Shoal Bay Village
Cap Juluca
Cap Juluca
#5 of 13 in West End Village

Been to Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla? Share your experiences!