“Vacay almost ruined......almost!”

Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in West End Village
Florida
“Vacay almost ruined......almost!”
Reviewed December 28, 2013

My husband and I, along with our 9 month old daughter recently stayed at Viceroy for 8 glorious days. The hotel itself is amazing! The location is fantastic, the decor is modern and luxurious and the grounds are well maintained, not to mention its on one of the great beaches of the island.

There are a few things I would caution intended travelers about. First let's start with the concierge. Prior to arriving I contacted the concierge to see if I could make several arrangements for our stay. This was to be our anniversary trip but also a birthday trip for my husband since our anniversary often overshadows his birthday I wanted to set up a series of activities I knew he would enjoy. In several emails back and forth with Jaimee I asked for snorkeling/diving/fishing suggestions.....none were ever made. She was good about making our restaurant reservations (although she fumbled two reservations which I had to sort out on my own). I repeatedly asked for things to engage in while on island and each response I got back from her she clearly ignored my questions. In fact I specifically asked for us to set up a reservation to go out on Chocolat while there to Prickly Pear, her response was "wait and do it when we got on island". Well, the result of that was by the time we got on island Chocolat was booked for the entire week.
We passed by the desk on several occasions while we were there and sometimes Renecia was able to help, sometimes absolutely no one was at the desk. It would have been nice to have gotten some suggestions while we were there. We totally missed out on going to both Prickly Pear and Scilly Cay because of lack of information from concierge.

Second the communication with the hotel itself leaves a bit to be desired. We booked this vacation on January 24th for travel November 23rd, well in advance. I made three simple requests as we would be traveling with our then 9 month old. King bed, high floor and as far from the elevator as possible. Well, this is where our stay at Viceroy nearly got cancelled. After waiting all year for this vacation we spent the day traveling and finally arrived at the hotel for check-in some time around 4:30pm. Al was the lovely attendant checking us in. The first room they assigned us was located directly in front of the elevator and for a view of the ocean you practically had to lean over the balcony and turn precariously to the right. So back down to the front desk we went I thought surely I had made these requests since January, and surely they could do better than a room situated directly in front the elevator. I had even followed up with my requests with Jaimee, so back to the front desk we headed to get it all sorted. Al of course said they were full and then escorted us to see a room with two double beds on the ground floor and no Ocean View.....we were paying for and Ocean King Studio how was this supposed to be an improvement? By now over an hour had gone by as they went back and forth checking on all their computers and saying they didn't have anything available other than those two rooms. Two hours into their song and dance and we were becoming agitated. After going back and forth with front desk staff and them insisting they were at capacity we sat on the front steps ready to leave as we whipped out our computer trying to see if we could book at the neighboring golf resort.
Along came OMARI. Let me tell you, in all honesty had it not been for Omari, our vacation would have been ruined! Up he came with a smile and asked why the long faces, once we explained what was happening, he didn't even hesitate, he said I have just the room for you. He escorted us up to a beautiful room on the 4th floor, fantastic ocean views, spacious and serene. On top of that he told us to just stay put, he would bring our bags up and go down to the front desk and get us a pair of room keys. No having to go back to the front desk and deal with the staff, no fuss. Omari saved the day! You'll meet Omari, he greets you at the dock when you come over from SXM, look for him, really good guy. Every day you see him around the resort always a smile and a great attitude. He is always asking guests how their stay is going and trying to help improve it. It was 6:30pm when he finally showed us to that room, but once we were settled our vacation from there on out was smooth and relaxing.

Our room on the 4th floor was spectacular. The views were expansive and the room itself was spacious with a large balcony and plunge pool. It was 1.5 bathrooms with a small kitchenette which came in handy for heating up milk and food for the baby and keeping a few little groceries we purchased. Housekeeping does a great job of always keeping the room clean and having service done in a timely manner.

The yoga at the resort is great. I took the class every other day. Sunset Lounge is a great place to do just that, watch the sun go down, enjoy a refreshing cocktail and some very delicious sushi. Other than breakfast (which was nothing spectacular just your ordinary breakfast buffet) at the hotel and the occasional evening cocktail at Sunset Lounge most of our food and beverage was consumed off property. The beach staff is very attentive and so is the staff at the beach bar (Bamboo). The resort itself is very family friendly and we found it easy to make fast friends with other travelers. The resort also has a great babysitting service. We didn't use the kids club, but we did hire a babysitter and took her sight seeing with us to Sandy Island and used her two nights so that the hubs and I could enjoy a celebratory anniversary dinner and his birthday dinner.

If you need recommendations on restaurants or directions to anywhere ask John. He's at the valet desk every day and knows the island like the back of his hand. We got wrong directions a few times from the concierge and came right back and asked John and he set us straight. If you're there, rent a car and get off property. Anguilla is such a beautiful island having a car really lets you explore and get around.

We hope to return to Anguilla in the future and if we do we will likely stay here.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor and building 33 or 34.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank Trvl_Prncss
Richard A, Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
We greatly appreciate your comments and will be certain to give Omari the accolades for his assistance. We apologize for the initial room reservations. This is certainly not the normal operation and we will take great strides to ensure this does not happen again in the future. We are glad that you'll return again for all the many reasons you enjoyed the resort: Sunset Lounge, yoga, views, etc. and will look forward to welcoming you back to Viceroy Anguilla.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
London
Reviewed December 27, 2013

A fantastic location, on a headland, with great beaches either side and very spacious high quality accomodation and helpful staff would make us want to come back again. We stayed in a penthouse as we are a family of five and it was huge with a superb terrace and great views. Things to note however, this is the windy side of the island and it is windy! Sailing therefore was restricted and snorkelling non-existant - you will need to take a boat.

Our main concern is that food and drinks are very expensive (both in the hotel and at local restaurants; however the good news is that the kitchen (if you have a villa or penthouse) is very well equipped and there is a well stocked and high quality supermarket (Bestbuy) ten mins walk down the beach (look on google for the best route, which is NOT out the front entrance of the hotel!).

Breakfast is poor, as other reviewers have commented, however check whether the hot breakfast is included in your package - if it is, then you should be OK. One annoying thing, also raised by others, is the constant piped musak in the common areas and around the pool. The hotel ought to be aware that this is a real pain.

Final piece of advice - taxis are criminally expensive: $60 round trip to go to a restaurant one mile away for four of us. You may be better off hiring a car.

Note for Brits - although Anguilla is a British Overseas Territory, this is a US-owned hotel and as someone also said, it does feel like Florida at times.

Room Tip: Villas and penthouses have kitchen facilities which cuts down on the meal spend.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank SmallWallah
Richard A, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
We appreciate your comments and thank you for staying with us.
We will look into the items you shared to determine if we can improve as it is our goal to continue to provide the best service, amenities and experience possible for our guests.
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We hope to welcome you and your family back to Viceroy Anguilla in the future!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 27, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at this beautiful paradise. The pools offer a very relaxing atmosphere with the help of friendly pool staff. Meals at all restaurants were delicious and the menus offered a great variety. The room was spacious and kept extremely clean by efficient staff. We were pleased with this well hidden retreat and plan to return.

Room Tip: Ocean view is preferred .
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank swarburton
Richard A, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla, responded to this review, January 4, 2014
We are so glad you found paradise at Viceroy Anguilla! Thank you for your lovely review. Wwe hope to welcome you back in the near future.
New York, NY
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Wife and I stayed here for a weekend away without our 4-month old. We booked a one bedroom suite with a plunge pool. The room was enormous. Bathroom was amazing, bed was one of the best sleeps ever, living room just invited you to veg out after a fully day on the beach. Balcony and plunge pool were also amazing and great way to enjoy a morning coffee or a sunset lounge.

Beach is the best part of this resort; however, the Sunset pool watching the sun cross the horizon is a very very close second. Pool/Beach staff were amazing, always happy to help out.

Breakfast was plentiful and lunches at Bamboo were best enjoyed shoeless.

I cannot recommend this resort more, as I have been talking it up to family and friends. We plan on traveling back with our child as the resort is extremely family friendly.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank halpie97NYC
Thank you for sharing your wonderful comments here and with your friends. We greatly appreciate the accolades and are delighted you enjoyed your time at the beach, the views from the Sunset pool and your overall stay. We hope to welcome you back again soon!
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed December 26, 2013

This property is absolutely AMAZING. Every little detail is so beautiful and perfectly thought out. We made plans to travel off property prior to our arrival and soon cancelled them...we had no intention of leaving this gorgeous hotel! The service was fabulous and we loved every meal we had! Coba rivaled the best Dallas steak houses. We returned not too long ago and are already looking into our next trip back! LOVED LOVED LOVED this vacation!

Room Tip: We had a stanard King room facing one of the courtyards on the third floor. Our room was very quiet...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Whitney K K
THANK YOU!
We greatly appreciate your review and thank you for spending ALL your time with us!
We hope to welcome you back again soon.
Happy New Year!
The Netherlands
Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

While the Viceroy Anguilla deserves 5 stars, I actually considered giving it only 3, but settled on 4 stars.
The modern design is striking and the location is stunning. The rooms are great and the staff very friendly.
Now the negative issues that almost led to 3 stars:
I had booked an ocean view room and was very much looking forward to being able to sit on the balcony looking out onto the ocean. Great was my disappointment when I walked into the room, onto the balcony and was barely able to see the ocean. After lunch I walked to front desk to express my disappointment and asked for a room on a higher floor (ours was on the first). The staff said there was a room on the second floor "but it will still be partial ocean view" (and was not yet serviced). Like most hotels, the Viceroy should differentiate between 'ocean view' and 'partial ocean view' both in the room description and pricing.
The second disappointment concerns the availability of the restaurants. Of the 3 nights we spent there, Coba, their signature restaurant was only open to guests on the last night. The other 2 nights it was used for private functions (an incentive group and a wedding party). This left only the beach-side Bamboo restaurant (very average food) and the Sunset Lounge. The night we dined at the Sunset (Coba closed for wedding party) was a rainy, stormy night, so much so that guests were getting wet from the rain blowing in. The staff handed out beach towels to everyone to cover themselves and everyone (us too) too it in their stride, but at a 5-star property you should be able to dine comfortably, inside, on a stormy night. Hate to think how wet the diners at the Bamboo were!
My last major frustration, though this will not apply to North Americans, is that the hotel dies not provide adapters for Europeans to recharge their phones, tablets, etc. The concierge simply told me to buy one at the boutique! The boutique staff told me they were out of stock for months. I could not believe that such a hotel could be so out of touch with non-North American guests! Fortunately the second day, the duty front office manager, a very friendly and helpful lady, offered to plug my iPhone and iPad onto her desk PC to recharge.
It really is too bad that the above issues occurred, which somewhat spoiled what otherwise would have been a fantastic stay at an amazing hotel.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
We greatly appreciate your comments and will use your comments to enhance our services and offerings for future guests and hope you will give us the opportunity to provide perfect service to you in the future. Thank you for taking the time to share your review.
Jacksonville beach, FL
Reviewed December 17, 2013

We were staying at a local hotel and stumbled across this place by walking on the beach. I changed our reservations and switch here for the last few days and it was incredible. I can compare the property design to a 4 seasons or similar. The restaurants and lounges have incredible views, design and furniture.

Best painkiller cocktail I have had ever at the Sunset lounge, and the food at the resort at the restaurants and in-room dining was very good.

Rooms are huge and plunge pools are great. Internet is fast enough. Gym is great, and they have a cycling tour most mornings that is a must.

Only difference is the level of service is a little less than a 4 seasons, but I heard they are working on that....

Would definitely go back!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JaxDiner
Thank you so much for your glowing review! We're so glad you "stumbled" upon us and decided to moved your reservation.
We appreciate your comments and will let the bartenders know of your praise for the painkiller too.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience.
Also consider these accommodations in or near West End Village
#1 of 3 in Shoal Bay Village
Belmond Cap Juluca
Belmond Cap Juluca
#5 of 13 in West End Village

Been to Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla? Share your experiences!