“What can I say other than PERFECTION!”

Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in West End Village
Los Angeles, California
“What can I say other than PERFECTION!”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We traveled to Viceroy for our honeymoon March 7-13 and were completely blown away by the beauty and friendliness at this resort. I had been looking forward to this vacation for what seems like forever and was all over TripAdvisor in the months leading up. I'm so glad I did my research. A few amazing restaurants within walking distance to Viceroy are Jacala(lunch), Straw Hat(lunch), Blachard's (my favorite lunch of the trip) and Picante (amazing Mexican food)
The service at the Viceroy is top notch. From the moment we arrived, luggage, Sunset lounge, room service, concierge, Adult pool, basketball & tennis courts. 5 star treatment from start to finish. I agree with another reviewer who mentioned the guests at Viceroy all seemed very stuffy. I couldn't agree more! From the sound of all their conversations they were all from the East coast and don't know how to relax!
The only downfall to my trip was actually getting to the island. We took a taxi from airport to the ferry dock thru St. Maarten and same thing back. It was very hectic. Next time I will take a small plane to Anguilla.
Definitely walk along the beach towards Jacala, Straw Hat, & Blanchards. Very romantic! We also rented a car one day thru concierge and drove thru town to a market and stocked up on goodies, Same night drove to Picante(right down the street, 3 minute drive) that night for dinner, yum!
All in all it's the best vacation I've ever been on and can't wait to go back. Unforgettable!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Angie C
Richard A, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Congratulations! Thank you for choosing Viceroy Anguilla as your honeymoon destination. We're glad that you enjoyed the friendly service of our wonderful staff. You're absolutely correct about the dining options - Anguilla's a foodie paradise with many great restaurant. We look forward to your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
Olympia, Washington
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I have actually stayed at the Viceroy for a week for the past three years. Always in the January/February time frame. Prior to the Starwood Property change-over this had to be one of the finest hotels in the world.
At every corner, in every restaurant, floor, gym or pool every single employee would greet the guest with a smile and a "good morning", "good afternoon" or hello. Now they don't bother to make eye contact unless it's The Half Shell or the Coba pool. Both of these locations have two amazing women that have been here every time we have stayed. A lovely greeting and it really brightens up the day!
The staff has definitely been cut back, however this shouldn't be an issue if the staff on hand wants to work and make your stay enjoyable.
They don't.
If management wants to make a noticeable change - your staff should understand that most people just want to feel special. A smile goes a long way, as does eye contact. Make the Viceroy special again and take note. It really doesn't matter how busy you are if guests feel cared for they will leave with a feeling of an amazing experience. All I left with is that you have a beautiful hotel with a property that no employee cares to work at and loathes the guests. It's really a shame. Here are a few of my personal observances from our trip this year.
This past year I witnessed employees drinking left over drinks - really? I thought it was a single incident until I continued to witness this throughout our week long stay. At the Half Shell and the Bamboo Bar and Grill in particular.
Ash trays continued to be dirty, very dirty - I noticed this year because in years past I found it funny that I never saw a dirty ash tray ( I don't smoke but know that several guests do).
It was quite busy this year and while sitting with my husband at the beach near the Bamboo Grill I was witness two waiters chatting with each other rather than take orders. We, along with other guests found it comical that we had to get our own drinks. This after waiting over 1 hour to see if anyone would come by I finally walked to the bar myself ordered drinks and a snack.
This year in particular we found it difficult to order drinks or food while sitting on property whether it be at the lounge areas or the pools. Employees walking by, not making eye contact and continuing on to do "nothing" as observed.
Twice they ran out of plates at breakfast once at Coba another time at Aleta - with employees standing around and no-one noticed. It really wasn't that busy so I am not sure why this happened.
I don't need much, clean room, good service with a smile, an occasional "how are things?". Didn't get one. When we sat at the Half Shell the bartender told us they were having problems keeping good people, we said we noticed. Our beach "guy" couldn't even keep his pants on - I felt like I was in NY the only thing missing was a sideways baseball hat. He was red-eyed and we saw more of his boxers than I would have preferred. While he did provide us with towels and a bucket of ice with water we never saw him again. I mean seriously is this the uniform?
Our one-bedroom suite was beautiful as usual. At $1,300 a night it's always been our favorite splurge. The beds are always comfortable. The linens clean and plentiful. Our first year the coffee machine was clean, refills provided each day complete with coffee, fresh tea and sugars. Last year no coffee machine and this year a cheaper coffee machine, worked well but never re-stocked after the first day - I had to call down every night for more sugar, coffee and tea bags. Not a big deal but frustrating because I know what the hotel USED to be. The mirror in the bathroom was cracked in the corner- it was big mirror so not worth complaining about. The trim was missing from the lower part of our decking. Looks like someone started to make a repair and never finished the job. I noticed this while reading out on the deck one morning. ( I think you can see the "glue" on the trim in the picture I posted of the plunge pool - not planned just happened to be in the picture)
We have stayed at three and four star hotels throughout the Caribbean with better service. It's funny how Starwood has not taken notice of the growing poor reviews of this property. The Viceroy just became part of an upscale "time-share" I wonder if that is why no-one really cares if the service is poor or not. Perhaps the hotel will be filled with guests no matter what. I noticed a few messages from others and thought I would give you another perspective from someone who has stayed here every year for the past three years.
We love to dive and stay in St. Martin, Anguilla and St. Barth's. Friends of ours have joined us and while we like the familiar surroundings of the Viceroy however we may have to look elsewhere due to declining service and no real signs of improvement.
All of these things may seem trivial but we get only a few vacations a year and look forward to them very much. When you pay this price for an experience you expect that you will leave feeling great, not stressed over little things - or big things like extra charges. This year we had two. One was a wrong charge of another guest on our bill the other was a excessive drink charge that we know we didn't run up. We asked to see the itemized bill and the signature - both they could not provide so they removed the charges.
This year we also noted that the concierge was no where to be found - we booked our own restaurant reservations, spa services and even called the car rental place on our own. Not a big deal since we have been there many times before - just would have been nice to have concierge to help.
It's a great property, very modern, great pools, spa is great, food is wonderful, sunset bar is one of the prettiest we have ever seen just don't expect consistent, good, personalized service. If you are one to expect to get what you pay for you might want to consider another property.

Room Tip: All three years we have had different rooms - always a one bedroom suite - large, lovely with great...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank enjoyingourchildren
Richard A, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
It's always nice to hear from repeat guests. We are, however, extremely concerned to read about the clearly unacceptable behavior you saw and experienced. Thank you for your review, as each observation helps us to address areas that need to be improved upon. We very much hope that you continue to visit us and know that you're next stay will be as flawless as your previous ones have been.
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Don't get me wrong - this is a stunning resort, design-wise. Very few other properties in the Caribbean come close, save for maybe Amanyara in Turks & Caicos and the like. You know the minute you pull up to a gorgeous driveway and walk through a dramatic entrance to the lobby area. The design and and use of exotic woods and stone is incredible... they clearly spared no expense in construction.

I found the actual location of Viceroy and it's beaches to be mediocre, relative to the other resorts on the island. And while the breakfast area was fairly chaotic every morning, the selection was hearty and overall quite delicious.

Viceroy Anguilla is a stunning resort inside and out, but at the same time it felt too austere (the service was cold and impersonal) and the crowd made it feel even more pretentious (very much the "nouveau-riche" types). I've been to friendlier and warmer-feeling high-end resorts in the Caribbean.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank AA160
Our beautiful entrance and lobby sets the tone for a luxurious and tranquil getaway. The talented Kelly Wearstler ensured, as you say, that no expense was spared. The result is a unique resort in a gorgeous setting. We're sorry that you found the service to be impersonal. One of our top priorities is ensuring that each guest is made to feel welcome and at home. We hope that you'll experience this personalized service during your next stay.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 28, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for our honeymoon on 3/18-3/26/13 and I must say the Viceroy is a first class resort. Upon checkin, we were immediately upgraded to a studio with a plunge pool as a courtesy by the professional and friendly staff, which let us know that we were going to be treated very well throughout our stay. This assumption was later confirmed by the professional staff at the Sunset lounge when both Maiko and Sherlon went above and beyond expectations to provide exceptional service. In fact, if you do visit the Viceroy, please be sure to stop by Sunset and specifically ask for these two individuals and you won't be disappointed.

The resort as a whole is an incredible experience for those looking for a romantic getaway and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank BDWD
Congratulations! We're honored that you chose to spend your honeymoon with us. The Sunset Lounge is one of the most romantic spots in Anguilla - and is the perfect location for relaxing after a leisurely day in the sun. Maiko and Sherlon are two of the many wonderful team members that help provide our guests with an unforgettable experience.
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
Reviewed March 25, 2013

If only... the resort wasn't totally full. I really wanted to give the Viceroy a 5. Beautiful setting, stunning resort but peak season (spring break) posed a challenge to their service (dining, housekeeping, service levels all changed with the huge crowds). We stayed here 3/15-3/23 (first visit to island). Here are the highlights (we travelled with 2 small children and it was GREAT!):

Check in- no problems at all, very smooth, luggage arrived at our rooms within 10 minutes. We got there on a Fri and the majority of spring break crowds came on Sat or Sun so that may have helped.

Rooms- ready at 1pm (had 3 rooms in total- two 2 bd and 1 bd residences). Truly great- high end finishes/appliances, beautifully appointed, very spacious, great beds and linens. Tons of closet space and very comfortable.

Kid stuff- GREAT, well-staffed kids club with tons of activities (indoor and outdoor). Pools are great for kids (Meads bay pool has tons of shallow areas and chairs were always available). Viceroy restaurants had good kids menus (they are on viewmasters- super cute!). They also have a sports area (never seen one this nice at a resort) with a climbing wall, basketball court, tennis, etc.

Fitness center- They had a amazing yoga instructor (Sammie) that taught all levels poolside overlooking the beach. It was amazing. The cardio gym is spacious with great equipment options plus a separate room with a Pilates reformer, tons of mats, bands, rollers, balls, etc. My only complaint is that this room was too small for all the people taking advantage of the fitness center.

Location- lots of great restaurants within walking distance on beach or short taxi ride. Easy to get from Seaport to the resort (flew in St. Maarten and took a boat over). Great islands to visit nearby (chartered a boat to Little Bay for snorkeling (not great snorkeling that day) and Sandy Island- such a GREAT little oasis with an amazing restaurant)

Beaches- Two great beaches are part of the hotel and there are so, so many great beaches on this island. Most are very pristine but we managed to find a couple with great shells. Some of the most beautiful beaches we've ever seen in the Caribbean.

Dining- This is truly a foodie island. Compared to the last few destinations we've visited (Nevis, Turks and Caicos, Punta de Mita) the choices and quality of restaurants was superior. I do believe the dining in Anguilla is much pricier in comparison but it was clear that most these restaurants have amazing chefs and service staff. They take great pride in their food and it shows. We liked the restaurants off property much better. The Viceroy breakfast buffet had great selections but the staff had trouble keeping it clean and stocked during this busy time. Some of our off-property faves- Veya, Mangoes, Blanchards, Straw Hat.

In a nutshell- The Viceroy is GREAT and we will definitely return (probably not during spring break). Anguilla is a WONDERFUL island with locals that seem to take pride in their island and treat tourists very well (we saw this in the hotel staff, taxi drivers, restaurant staff, seaport staff, etc).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Darcy G
Richard A, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We learn and improve from every review. We're glad you enjoyed the many amenities we have to offer our guests, including our great children's club, fitness area, restaurants and bars. We look forward to your next visit!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 22, 2013

The Viceroy in Anguilla is ABSOLUTE PERFEFCTION! It is like going to heaven! The staff is so friendly and goes out of their way to make sure you are happy and have everything that you need. Everyone in 3 days knew our name and could anticipate our needs, which is just outstanding to me. All done with a very friendly but professional way!

The property is one of the most exquisite and well-maintained properties I have seen in the Caribbean. The rooms are gorgeous as well and Kelly Wearstler did a wonderful job designing it when it was built. Every corner you turn has a beautiful piece of art, down to the chairs you sit in. We had an ocean front room and my bed was hard to get out of in the morning it was so comfortable. We loved our little porch and plunge pool. And the bathroom was beautiful and very large. We had the perfect amount of space in the closet and hangers. I particularly loved the robe and I actually spoke with the lady at the front desk who said she would let me know when they had some more in that I could purchase. Needless to say, I did contemplate putting it into my bag… I promise I did not ☺

The food was outstanding at Aleta (where we had the best cappuccinos I have ever had in my life and yummy breakfast buffet), Half Shell (amazing lunch of Mediterranean sample plate and INCREDIBLE fish) and Coba for a lovely and wonderful dinner as we watched the fish swimming by in the ocean. The food was innovative, had an island touch, and always very yummy. The servers and anyone who worked in food and beverage was nice, professional but not over bearing. Oh and sushi at Sunset Lounge, some of the freshest we have had! And Sunset Lounge, nothing like being there at sunset with a martini in your hand. And two nights we listened and watched everyone dance to the tunes of a DJ they had on property, which was a fun touch.

We arrived and departed via the private ferry they book thru the concierge and it could not have been easier. What a lovely boat ride across the water between St Martin and Anguilla. A smiling face was there to greet us when we got thru customs and help us with our bags. I can pretty much say I did not lift a finger while I was there. (Unless I was lifting great martinis at Sunset Lounge by the perfect bartenders).

I am an event planner and do destination weddings (shameless plug) but I want to do an event here. A wedding, family reunion, incentive trip, this spot has it all! Sun, sand, beach, pools, friendly staff, cool and relaxing atmosphere, and great food. It is just perfect for any celebration.

I have traveled the world and my husband and I always say this is hands down our favorite resort we have been. This resort is purely divine and such a wonderful get away. I did not want to leave. Book it NOW!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Grohe
Thank you for your wonderful review. We're happy you had such a great experience with us. We love to host events, including destination weddings, and hope we can work with you in the future.
Memphis, TN
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I stayed with my family of 5 in March, 2013. 2 adults, 3 children.
The property is beautiful, with several great restaurants within 15/20 min walking distance or a short cab ride. The restaurants onsite were very good as well. The sand is deep and beautiful, and our days slipped by there.
We had a 3 bedroom penthouse, which is probably the nicest accommodation my family has ever enjoyed. Our butler Jamel was very attentive, and was always a phone call away-(a provided cell phone). I would request him! The beach/lounge chairs were at a premium, and he reserved them for us each day after to ensure we had a spot.
Kelly Wearstler is amazing, and her influence is throughout the resort. Happy to answer any questions to help!

Room Tip: The 3 bedroom penthouse is so beautiful... the patio that surrounds in almost as big a s the room...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank melissamce
Richard A, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you for your review. We're delighted you and your family enjoyed your 3-Bedroom Penthouse and butler, Jamel. He's a wonderful addition to our team and we will let him know that he helped make your stay that much more special. We look forward to your next visit!
Also consider these accommodations in or near West End Village
#1 of 13 in West End Village
Belmond Cap Juluca
Belmond Cap Juluca
#5 of 13 in West End Village

Been to Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla? Share your experiences!