“Six star property with five star service, three star food”

Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in West End Village
nyc
“Six star property with five star service, three star food”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

In one word it is wonderful. The Viceroy Anguilla almost appears to have been dreamed up by God as a paradise on earth. From the grand palm lined entrance to the spacious rooms and amazing dream like setting this property has it all. I found service to be very good especially for this part of the world and a well heeled NY crowd. The only sore point is the quality of the expensive breakfast buffet and the over priced cost of food /drinks overall in Anguilla. Then again its exclusive and remote , you get what you pay for.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Richard A, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
We're thrilled that the word you'd use to describe us is wonderful! We are sorry that you found a sore point in your experience, but are delighted it didn't dilute your enthusiasm for the property. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
Rancho Mirage, California
Reviewed November 24, 2012

They have built a masterpiece in Paradise on a beautiful stretch of white sand.
The attention to detail and fine choices in materials will outlast most projects.

Downfall is their ridiculour pricing of everything-restaurants,drinks and spa.

$32 for two cocktails- singles.

Built in 15% Gratuity on everything includinf tip on tax which I dont do.

Grind on everything which takes the fun out.

Resort fee $40 per day, 410% tip to support kitty in the spa etc.

Room Tip: Higher up is better for views.
1 Thank James G
Richard A, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Thank you for your review. We're delighted you found the property to be a masterpiece on a beautiful stretch of white sand! We are a bit disappointed that you didn't find the entire experience to be flawless. We pride ourselves at offering both food and drink at every price point. We hope you'll visit again soon so that you can try some of the other dining venues!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 19, 2012

This was our second stay at the Viceroy out of three visits to Anguilla. Our first stay was at the Cuisinart resort. We enjoy the Viceroy's accommodations and overall aesthetic. The architecture and views are absolutely stunning. However on our recent visit we were disappointed by a few things...first, we booked an Ocean View suite but were given a room that had no view of the ocean and was located along a busy footpath. We were told there was a wedding party that had booked most of the other rooms (although the resort seemed far from being completely booked). With some complaining the reservations manager upgraded us to another room the next day which was a huge improvement. Too bad we were only staying 2 more nights. We expect a resort of the Viceroy's caliber to make the extra effort to get things right, and reward returning guests.

Second, the beach has eroded considerably on the bay side of the resort and the water was too rough for swimming (not the fault of the resort, but something to be aware of if you're going specifically for the beach). If you venture to other parts of the island you can find a beautiful beach along Shoal Bay.

Something mentioned in other reviews is the cost of the Viceroy's food and beverages is very high ($17 for a poolside mojito!). The good news is the island has plenty of other excellent restaurants and beach bars, some in walking distance--Straw Hat, Blanchards, and Blanchard's Beach Shack are right down the beach. We ate Straw Hat for breakfast everyday. A mexican restaurant, Picante, is just outside the entrance to the resort. And there is a small supermarket just across from the resort that sells snacks, bottles of wine and liquor.

Room Tip: Ask for an unobstructed ocean view on a higher floor.
1 Thank BOSTravelHound
We're glad you found aspects of your trip that you enjoyed on your second stay with us and sorry that you were disappointed by some aspects of your stay. There are several dining venues on Anguilla for guests at every price point, which we were happy to see you take advantage of. We look forward to your next stay with us!
Arlington, VA
Reviewed November 18, 2012

This is my second time at the Viceroy. Had a good experience two years ago and decided to return. So far am not pleased...

1. When I made my reservation, I asked for the same room as I had before. When I arrived, they gave me another room. After complaining, they said I could move to my previous room the next night. I said okay. A total inconvenience but couldn't do much about it. The room they gave us initially faced the rooftop of a restaurant although it billed itself as ocean view. Well worth it to change rooms after one night.

2. My son woke up at 1 am to the sounds of a dj literally outside our room. It seems there was a huge wedding that night. I called management and asked to speak to a manager. They said the manager was not around but they would see about lowering the music. I called again at 3 and was told that the event manager had been called on site and that the dj was set to play until 4 am!!!!! No high quality hotel would allow a wedding party to have music until 4 am outside the hotel quest rooms. I told them I wanted a manager to call me in the morning and the night comped as my son, my husband and I were awake from 1 to 4 am. Manager never called. We did get a beautiful platter of cookies and a bottle of champagne the next day around 4 with a note of apology but a call would have been nice. Not sure yet if night was comped. Doubt it.

3. I made reservations for dinner with the concierge tonight. Was told she would call me back to confirm. Never did.

4. Called at 5 to request turn down service as we were heading out for an early dinner. Put the PLEASE SERVICE sign on the door. Returned at 7 and they hadn't come. Called at 7 to ask about the status of turn down and was told they would come right away, It is now 8:22 and still no sign of them.

5. Beach guys are nice but once you get water in the morning, don't expect any cleaning up. Ice melts, plastic bottles everywhere, no refills of anything.

So, it's the first full day and we have had multiple issues. This hotel in NO WAY compares to hotels like Four Seasons or One and Only. My room is $1000 a night. The service is shameful for the price.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
12 Thank Chaseferrari
Richard A, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
We greatly appreciate your return visit and apologize that your stay is off to a disappointing start.
We will do everything we can to ensure the remainder of your stay matches the great memories you have of your first visit with us.
Brasil
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Spent three nights at the end of caribbean trip. Design and location are great. That said the other important aspects of a hotel have room for improvement: maintenance and service. It is unacepptable for a hotel of this category to have the pool chairs mattress with ripped covers , and painted walls pilling off. This could be said as conditions prior to the seasons, but when you have rates on the top of the range, you must assure all customer facilities are at least in good condition. On the service side, they have a pretty complete sea center, but it is really hard to get any equipment from there, as they always raise the red flag. Being a certified sailor, i can assure sea conditions were pretty calm, but they continue to decline to borrow the hobbie cat and the windsurf. It looks that some guest in the past had trouble wiht the hobbie cat and thread to sue the hotel. Do not understand me wrong the staff there was very helpfull but had directions from. Hotel management to not release the equipment to the guest.
They have an amazing sunset pool and lounge, and both beachs: Meads and Barneys bay are great.
On top of all that anguilla is an amazing island with losts of almost wild beachs with crystal clear water. A great island to relax and turn off from the world

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Richard A, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We're very happy that you enjoyed Anguilla's clear waters, but are disappointed that we did not meet your expectations in every aspect of your stay. We will work hard to ensure that your next visit to Anguilla and our property is flawless.
Ardsley, New York
Reviewed November 15, 2012

5th trip to Anguilla; first time at Viceroy to stay; only 3 nights, but enough for me. Will not go back. Oddly enough, I think my wife loves the place. The structure and grounds are massive. From the outside, it felt to me like a modern prison or ultra elite dormitory. Never saw another guest on my floor for the entire 3 days; eerily quiet (the Shining?)...... No furniture in the halls and the outdoor lighting at night from the rooms and elevators to the main areas are poor. If you love long walks to the beach or the various pools, and I mean long walks, then this is the resort for you. As for me, there are plenty of beach hotels where your room is practically right on the beach. The Cuisinart Resort have rooms practically beachfront and their room, at least compared to the one I stayed in Viceroy, was better in every respect, larger shower, larger bathroom area, larger sitting area; better lighting, even the room safe was at eye level (at the Viceroy it was at your shoetops and you had to stoop or lie on the floor to plug in the combination). Prices for everything at the Viceroy from the rooms, to the bar, to the restaurants and amenities, seem over the top, high, and I have been to many top resorts. Make your own travel arrangements to and from the airport - the hotel adds a whopping 100% add on, at least they tried to do that with me. My room, and I admit I paid a special reduced group rate, was small, crowded, not well lit, and in my opinion, not well laid out. I asked at registration for an upgrade being a travel agent but was politely declined, with the reason being that the property was fully booked (which was not even close to being true). OK, so they distort objective reality a bit. Breakfast for 2 is between $50 and $60 if you get a glass of juice. I had one breakfast at the hotel and then walked down the beach to the Straw Hat on Meads Bay, maybe 10 minutes. Double the breakfast; nicer setting, half the cost. The Viceroy;s sunset bar is quite a beautiful setting; you should visit it at least once and it is very popular; but you dont need to stay at the hotel to do so. The staff is very friendly and accomodating. To be fair, I visited a few other (more expensive) rooms which were much, more spacious than the holiday inn basic which I was assigned. There are lots of young beautiful people here who apparently dont care about the costs. This is a 5 star+ resort and I was surprised about the "coldness" of this place. Lots of little annoying things stood out. Maybe Im too old; or maybe I am too old fashioned. The pools were beautiful and the ground immaculate; but it was not a friendly place. Or perhaps I just had a bad experience. My wife, however, felt differently, she didn;t mind the annoyances or the expense (yeah, right, why would she - I paid for everything). I think it was something about the young and beautiful upscale people who seemed to be the main guests. I give it a 3. I will not go back.. But if you are young, beautiful, rich and are not afraid of ultra premium prices and want to get the most expensive suite, wear a label and walk endlessly and tirelessly to hang out with others who are young, beautiful and rich and love the label; then you are at the right place.

Room Tip: better get a map of the rooms and don't believe what they tell you at registration.
3 Thank swid9
Thank you for your review. We're happy that you enjoy both our design and location. We appreciate you pointing out areas that need improvement and have made sure that the appropriate parties were notified. We hope that during your next visit with us, you'll be able to enjoy the sun and surf even more!
New York
Reviewed November 15, 2012

My wife, 3.5 year old an I visited The Viceroy for 8 days in August and were very impressed with the resort. We stayed in a 1 bedroom residence with terrace and private pool / jacuzzi. While the view could have been slightly better (unfortuantely the tree line obscured things somewhat), we would still highly reccommend the rooms for the space, decor and luxurious feel of the place. Ours was well appointed, clean, and had every necessity and luxury item we could wish for. We were fortunate to experience almost exclusively wonderful weather during our stay (a tropical storm supposedly came along but we barely noticed). We chose the resort for a number of reasons, but primarily because, under review, it seemed to achieve the right balance of family-based activity and couple based activity. The kids center is excellent, as is the babysitting service, both of which we used extensively during our stay. Our daughter really enjoyed spending time doing arts and crafts and socializing, and we really enjoyed the opportunity to spend some time together. That said, the main pool (there are three pools on the premises) proved a huge hit for the entire family - we spent many hours lazing about, sipping coctails / fruit jiuces overlooking the adjacent beach and, of course learning to snorkel, teaching our daughter to body-board, and generally having a relaxing time. As far as food goes, the breakfasts are truly amazing, although they do get a little samey after 8 days. Luckily I am a creature of habit so this didnt bother me too much. As for the other restaurants, the food is ok - not amazing given the price, but certainly not bad. There are so many great restaurants off the premises it does show the Viceroy up a little, but on the whole we were quite happy with the meal choices and room service menu. Service was stellar all round - we didnt have a single complaint, and for this reason alone we would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Richard A, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
We're very happy you and your family enjoyed your vacation and didn't want for anything while here. We're also happy to hear that your daughter enjoyed Generation V kids' club! We look forward to your next visit.
Also consider these accommodations in or near West End Village
#1 of 3 in Shoal Bay Village
Cap Juluca
Cap Juluca
#5 of 13 in West End Village

Been to Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla? Share your experiences!