“Amazing resort, villas are incredible!”

Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in West End Village
Missouri
“Amazing resort, villas are incredible!”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We have been to a lot of resorts in the Carribean, and the Viceroy is one (if not) the nicest for sure. We stayed in a 5 bedroom villa (Villa 2), and they are stunning. I would recommend Villa 1, 2, or 3, as they are the most private. They come with a golf cart too. The rest of the resort is great too. The most notable thing is the friendliness of the staff. By the second day, everyone knew our names, and treated us with a very caring attitude. The cuisine on property is very good too (kids like it too), and the prices are not too bad. We arrived during a tropical storm, and the hotel did a very good job handling all weather related issues. We plan on returning for sure.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank mattmayse
Richard A, Resort Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Thank you for your comments! A stay in one of our posh villas is definitely a "must" when visiting us! We're glad that everything - from our staff to our food - made your stay unforgettable and hope that you'll be back soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
Raleigh
Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I had an amazing honeymoon at the Viceroy. The resort and staff are fantastic and words truly don't do the resort any justice. The food is also very good, although somewhat limited in the off-season.

I'm somewhat snobby and have pretty high expectations, but the Viceroy and it's staff exceeded my expectations in every way. The Viceroy beats every resort I've been to in the Caribbean, hands down.

If you are considering the Viceroy or have any questions, feel free to message me.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Bryan D
Richard A, Resort Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Thanks so much for your review! We're thrilled you and your wife and had an amazing honeymoon with us! We're beyond happy that we exceeded your high expectations that that we beat other Caribbean resorts that you've traveled to. We strive to provide exceptional service and make each vacation truly memorable.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed October 2, 2012

My family spent a week at this beautiful resort in June. There are no words to describe the serene atmosphere and high level of sophistication this resorts offers it's guests. The service was attentive, and all requests were granted with a smile. We stayed in the 3 BDR Dorado Penthouse which overlooked Meads Bay. The decor of the suite was tastefully done and very comfortable. I have no complaints about this place, and look forward to returning many years to come.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Richard A, Resort Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
We're so glad you loved the Penthouse - they're amazing! You experienced exactly what we strive to offer our guests, a serene atmosphere and high level of sophistication. We look forward to your next visit!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Short version: Beautiful hotel, amazing staff, great guests. Significant issues with billing department who charged us for multiple incorrect items (including charging us twice for the room after we left!). Management seems largely disinterested in clients - no sign of the GM at any point during our stay. DEFINITELY worth it in low season with discounted rates. In my opinion, not worth it in high season when the entry-level rooms start at $1,000 and the place is packed. Beach is stunning!

Long version for those who like detailed reviews like me :)

Pros: This resort is absolutely stunning. Kelly Wearstler has done a phenomenal job and the entire place feels luxurious, while staying very low-key and chic. The views are great and the beach is probably the most beautiful in the Carribbean.

The staff members are all wonderful. They're very kind and service-oriented without being obtrusive. Everyone went to great lengths to do things for us and to make us feel special. The Viceroy really owes it to their staff, they're probably the main reason we would consider coming back.

Food is appropriately expensive for a five-star resort in the middle of the ocean. It ranged from decent to very good. We didn't eat anything that was inedible and the staff was very helpful in helping us make decisions.

Despite the obvious "status" of the clientele, we found everyone very friendly and down-to-earth. A warning to those who are appearance-conscious: this is a fancy resort with fancy people. Even during the low season we saw plenty of heels at the pool and cocktail dresses at night. The crowd is very young and attractive; it was great for us (25 and 38) but may not be as enjoyable for older couples. I also regretted not packing dressier clothes, so be conscious of that.

Cons: I hate to say it, but the rest of the hotel (read: management) is a mess, especially the billing department. We had been given a $100 resort credit, and I'd also had the price of my spa treatment lowered (more on that in a second). When we checked out, the resort credit had been ADDED as a charge, there were charges for food we didn't eat, and my spa treatment was listed as MORE than the original price. I understand how difficult it is to manage a lot of little charges for hundreds of guests - but this is a "five star" resort and there was barely 30% occupancy. We really didn't appreciate having to spend 30 minutes haggling the poor front desk agent to get our charges correct.

It gets worse! About 3 weeks after coming home, I was randomly scanning our credit card bill. We'd booked through a travel agent and had paid everything on a different card. We gave the hotel a credit card just for accidentals. Well lo and behold, they charged us for our room AGAIN on our second card! It was resolved quickly through our travel agent, but we didn't get so much as an apology email from the hotel. Nothing. Again, we're not fussy people and weren't particularly upset. What upsets me is that this is a 5-star resort and they should know better. And frankly, I think an "accidental" $2,000 charge deserves at least an apology.

On to the spa treatment - I'd signed up for the hotel's special, which was a 90 minute massage that included a free 30 minute facial. The treatment was great and my masseuse was wonderful. However, after returning to my room I realized I'd been gone less than 2 hours - and I spent a long time in the spa steam room and waited about 15 minutes to be called back. She'd given me a 60 minute massage and less than 30 minute facial, but I was charged for 90. When I went back to ask about it, the masseuse argued with me and claimed that I'd been in there for the full 2 hours - which was impossible. This was quickly fixed by hotel management - they charged me for just a 60 minute massage. But imagine my surprise when I got the bill at the end and I was charged for a 60 minute massage AND a facial - which made the overall price more than the original sale price! It got fixed, but again, I'd spoken to the assistant manager about this. You'd think they would make sure that the charges were correct.

The hotel is very unevenly staffed. There are dozens of wait staff in the bar area just standing around, but two poor men at the beach were responsible for hauling chairs and bringing drinks for probably 75 guests. They were obviously exhausted, especially when the staff at the restaurant 50 feet away were sitting around talking to each other. Our room was at the end of the hallway, and it was often 4PM before it was cleaned. Cleaning staff looked exhausted. A resort of this caliber should know how to organize their staff (and should pay them enough that they don't congregate in the restaurant hoping for tips).

Overall, I just felt like management wasn't very interested in us. Our travel agent, who is also a dear friend of mine, had been at the Viceroy less than a month before. The hotel promised them all kinds of things and the "red carpet treatment" for any of their clients. We got a free upgrade and breakfast, and a greeting from the assistant manager at check-in, but other than that I felt like we were largely ignored by management. No sign of the GM at any point during our stay. Our concerns were addressed, but without an appropriate apology. I left feeling happy but not "special." If you're going to promise special treatment for certain guests, you should deliver!

In summary, we got a great rate ($400/night and we were upgraded to a 1BR suite). At this rate, and in the off season where occupancy is low, we'd go back in a heartbeat. But with all of the issues, I'd have to seriously think about it before we paid much more than that. Especially given all that we spent at the restaurants and spa, I just expected better.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Peggy E
Richard A, Resort Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Thank you for your review. We strive to make every guest feel like a VIP and are thrilled that you think our staff members are all wonderful! We are, however, extremely disappointed to hear about your billing issues and saddened that you felt like management wasn't very interested in you. I can assure you that this is not the norm. We hope you'll visit us again!
Atlanta
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We took a group trip for a 40th birthday and stayed in one of the penthouses. The penthouse was absolutely gorgeous and huge - perfect for a group of friends. All 3 of the bedrooms had huge bathrooms with plenty of privacy for each bedroom, and the living spaces were great for hanging out, both indoors and outdoors. The resort staff spoiled us - I had mentioned the birthday when I made the reservation, and the staff made it very special -- a bottle of champagne and dessert and snack trays greeted us when we walked into our room. Catalina and Nigel made sure we had everything we needed, and Edwin on the beach did a fantastic job keeping us and other guests on the beach entertained with watersports. The beach and pool areas are beautiful. The only aspect we didn't think lived up to the rest of the resort was the limited dining options. The Sunset Lounge was great, but the main restaurant Coba was average and expensive, and most nights we found ourselves walking down the beach to options serving seafood and other island-influenced cuisine. There are several great options within walking distance. The resort would also benefit from a grab-and-go breakfast/coffee counter option - only the full buffet was offered when we were there, and it was delicious but some mornings we could have done with less food. Overall, an amazing place for a vacation and a real treat!

Room Tip: The penthouse was perfect for a group!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Richard A, Resort Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
We're delighted you enjoyed your friend's birthday trip! Spoiling our guests is our main goal!
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed September 17, 2012

If you ever have the chance to go to this location, put it on your "Bucket List". The service is beyond fantastic!! The infinity pool next to the Sunset lounge is a relaxing place to have a wonderful cocktail and watch the sunset with the one you love. We were lucky enough to have a suite overlooking the sea. The room was a decorators dream and the bed was amazing! You must order the fruit platter for breakfast through room service. You will not be diasppointed.

Room Tip: If you plan on any excursions ask for a man named Preston. He is beyond knowledgable with the islan...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SuzieLS123
We’re thrilled to hear from a frequent visitor to Anguilla! Thank you for staying with us on your most recent trip. We’re so happy that your massage at our spa was the best you’ve ever had – quite a compliment coming from self-professed spa snobs! We definitely look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Anguilla!
Atlanta
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I have been going to Anguilla since 1990 when Cap Juluca was "the" spot to stay. But as of late, as you can see in my review of Cap Juluca, it needs an update and the service is less than stellar. So on our last trip we went to the Viceroy and had a fabulous vacation. The property is relatively new (compared to other comparable properties there) and so the rooms were more contemporary than some Anguilla properties but we found that refreshing. The service was excellent and check in was so pleasant and the girls at the front were extremely nice. The bar by the infinity pool was a great place to have a cocktail before dinner and their main restaurant has a wonderful view and excellent food. They have a great breakfast and lunch at the beach bar or at the beach club was lovely and the food was great. I read that someone thought the food was not Michelin quality but I don't remember that Coba, the main restaurant, claimed to be a Michelin star property. It was wonderful and the atmosphere was top notch. There are other choices in Anguilla with the best being Blanchards restaurant so if you want to try other places while there, you have many options.

Whether you used the beach by the Villa's or the beach at the club, the water was warm and calm enough for young children. The water sports are more than adequate and the stuff was very accommodating.

I have to tell you that possibly the best part of our stay was the spa. Their spa pool is an infinity pool off the edge of a cliff with an ocean view that goes on forever!! The massage was THE BEST we have ever had and we are spa snobs. We compared notes on our masseuse and we all agreed she was spectacular. Book early though, they fill up fast!

There are many styles of rooms, so I would suggest that you speak at length with a front desk person and then check again on arrival to make sure that you like what you have. We asked to see several room types once we checked in and they accommodated our wish to switch room types with no problems. Their GM is very visible and was always shaking hands and checking on everyone to make sure their stay was going well. All in all this is my choice in Anguilla and as I said, I've been going for 21 years!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank JBHAtlanta
We're so happy that you stayed with us on your most recent visit to Anguilla - and even happier to hear that you enjoyed our excellent service and food! We agree that our spa is second to none and definitely a highlight of any trip to Anguilla!
Also consider these accommodations in or near West End Village
#2 of 13 in West End Village
Belmond Cap Juluca
Belmond Cap Juluca
#5 of 13 in West End Village

Been to Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla? Share your experiences!